WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Bruno Sammartino Backstage Incidents

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Bruno Sammartino Backstage Incidents  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 22nd, 2009 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7761
Status: 
Offline
For some strange reason I looked up Bruno's entry in Wiki. There were tons of mistakes but there was one interesting part about backstage altercations that the worlds foremost master of the armbar had and two I never heard about. Can anyone shed some light on the first two? Pure Wiki bullshit or little known stories.

Here they are straight from Wiki:

In the late 1960s, Sammartino was involved in a fight with former PA Athletic Commissioner Joe Cimino. Cimino was new to his post at this time and overheard Sammartino talking about a planned finish against Baron Sicluna in a match in McKeesport, located right outside of Pittsburgh. The commissioner walked over to Sammartino and told him he didn't approve of the finish. A short argument ensued which ended with Sammartino throwing a punch at the commissioner. Referee Izzy Moidel stepped in to stop the fight and took the punch meant for Commissioner Cimino. The entire incident was witnessed by current Western PA Commissioner and former referee Andy DePaul.

In his autobiography, The Cowboy and the Cross: The Bill Watts Story: Rebellion, Wrestling and Redemption, Bill Watts tells of witnessing a backstage incident between Sammartino and Gorilla Monsoon. Watts said that Monsoon "soon found himself in deep water" when messing with Sammartino. He did not go into further detail on the incident out of respect for Monsoon.

When Bruno was about 51 years old, he was involved in an infamous backstage fight with a former football player. Six men were backstage at a wrestling show in an area that was restricted. When Sammartino spotted the men, he told them that if security saw them in this area, they might get in trouble. Dave "Rooster" Fleming, a former CFL player with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, stuck his hand out to Sammartino. When Sammartino went to shake his hand, Fleming began to squeeze hard. Sammartino asked him what he was doing to which Fleming replied "You're nothing but a washed up old man." Sammartino responded "Not too washed up to take care of you." Upon hearing that, Fleming took a swing at Sammartino but it was blocked. Sammartino then punched him and knocked him down. Sammartino soon found himself fighting the other five men at once. At this time, the Iron Sheik was in the showers after his match and heard the commotion. He immediately jumped in next to Bruno and the two wrestlers proceeded to "clean house" according to Bruno



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 08:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
TerryWWWF



Joined: Mon Nov 26th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4322
Status: 
Offline
There was an incident with Cimino, but that wasn't it. Not even close. This was the Nov. 10, 1972 show.

Cimino was new to the job and, like other commissioners, thought he was really supposed to supervise the shows. There was a show at the Civic Arena where Tanaka appeared, managed by the Grand Wizard. Tanaka's wooden shoes were in the corner. Cimino motioned across the ring for the security guards to remove the shoes. The guards thought he was telling him to remove the Wizard, so they escorted him back to the dressing room. Bruno asked what he was doing there, and Ernie told him the commissioner had thrown him out.

Then Bruno and DeNucci were in a tag match against the Fargo Brothers that was supposed to be the blowoff. Bruno and DeNucci were supposed to win by pinfall. All four guys were in the ring, so Cimino ordered the timekeeper to ring the bell and ended the match in a double DQ. Bruno was pissed because that screwed up the finish, which was designed to bury the Fargos and end their run.

Bruno started yelling at Cimino, and Cimino, who was a small guy but a former boxer, got up on the ring apron. Bruno took a poke at him, and Cimino stumbled on the ring steps. Everyone went back to the dressing room, and Bruno and Cimino continued the argument while the other guys made sure it didn't get physical.

The next day, Cimino legitimately suspended Bruno. They did an interview with Cimino on live TV, no doubt at Bruno's urging. Bill Cardille did whatever Bruno wanted. During Cimino's interview, Bruno came out to challenge what he was saying and wound up screaming at him. It was one of the rare times Bruno's legitimately volcanic temper was shown to the public. He remained suspended for at least a month, and wound up paying a fine.

The suspension was 100% legit.

If anyone has the old Wrestling Monthly magazines, Jim Melby wrote an editorial complaining that athletic commissions were ruining wrestling for the fans. Melby was in town that weekend to present some kind of award.

I've heard the other story about the backstage fight with Rooster Fleming, but have no idea how true it is.

Last edited on Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 11:03 am by TerryWWWF

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 01:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15720
Status: 
Offline
I heard the story aboput Bruno and the Football players but took it as Urban legend especially since Iron Shiek was involved.



____________________
Most people don't care if you're telling them the truth or if you're telling them a lie, as long as they're entertained by it. - Tom Waits

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 03:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
C.C. Milani

 

Joined: Wed Oct 7th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 808
Status: 
Offline
Bruno had an altercation with Bob Orton Jr backstage at one of Herb Abrams' abortions, I mean wrestling shows. Bruno got hot and was screaming over nothing, and Orton laughed it off.

Bruno kept calling Randy's dad "Horton", which was pretty funny.

Bruno also lost his mind at Brian Hildebrand's benefit show, screaming at Mark Madden for no reason.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53326
Status: 
Offline
C.C. Milani wrote: Bruno had an altercation with Bob Orton Jr backstage at one of Herb Abrams' abortions, I mean wrestling shows. Bruno got hot and was screaming over nothing, and Orton laughed it off.

Bruno kept calling Randy's dad "Horton", which was pretty funny.

Bruno also lost his mind at Brian Hildebrand's benefit show, screaming at Mark Madden for no reason.

There's always a good reason to scream at Mark Madden.  I can't remember the particular incident, but Madden had been an ass about something on his hotline or in his column, and I think was joking that Bruno was dead or something.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 03:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12119
Status: 
Offline
TerryWWWF wrote: There was an incident with Cimino, but that wasn't it. Not even close. This was the Nov. 10, 1972 show.

Cimino was new to the job and, like other commissioners, thought he was really supposed to supervise the shows. There was a show at the Civic Arena where Tanaka appeared, managed by the Grand Wizard. Tanaka's wooden shoes were in the corner. Cimino motioned across the ring for the security guards to remove the shoes. The guards thought he was telling him to remove the Wizard, so they escorted him back to the dressing room. Bruno asked what he was doing there, and Ernie told him the commissioner had thrown him out.

Then Bruno and DeNucci were in a tag match against the Fargo Brothers that was supposed to be the blowoff. Bruno and DeNucci were supposed to win by pinfall. All four guys were in the ring, so Cimino ordered the timekeeper to ring the bell and ended the match in a double DQ. Bruno was pissed because that screwed up the finish, which was designed to bury the Fargos and end their run.

Bruno started yelling at Cimino, and Cimino, who was a small guy but a former boxer, got up on the ring apron. Bruno took a poke at him, and Cimino stumbled on the ring steps. Everyone went back to the dressing room, and Bruno and Cimino continued the argument while the other guys made sure it didn't get physical.

The next day, Cimino legitimately suspended Bruno. They did an interview with Cimino on live TV, no doubt at Bruno's urging. Bill Cardille did whatever Bruno wanted. During Cimino's interview, Bruno came out to challenge what he was saying and wound up screaming at him. It was one of the rare times Bruno's legitimately volcanic temper was shown to the public. He remained suspended for at least a month, and wound up paying a fine.

The suspension was 100% legit.

If anyone has the old Wrestling Monthly magazines, Jim Melby wrote an editorial complaining that athletic commissions were ruining wrestling for the fans. Melby was in town that weekend to present some kind of award.

I've heard the other story about the backstage fight with Rooster Fleming, but have no idea how true it is.

Great story Terry, I never heard this version before...thanks for sharing it. Great history there.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 03:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
C.C. Milani

 

Joined: Wed Oct 7th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 808
Status: 
Offline
I don't disagree about Madden, but I thought Bruno shouldn't have caused a scene at a benefit show, just out of respect for Brian.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 05:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Bix



Joined: Tue Nov 20th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1607
Status: 
Offline
Where does Bruno's heat with Flair come from?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 09:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
TerryWWWF



Joined: Mon Nov 26th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4322
Status: 
Offline
Flair, urged on by Madden, had something in his book putting down Bruno. If you call Bruno anything less than the Living Legend, you have a prime spot on his lengthy shit list.

The Madden-Bruno heat really stems from an article Madden wrote for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette at the height of the steroids issue. He contacted David Sammartino, who told him that he had used steroids, and that his twin brothers, who were high school athletes (non-wrestling) had both used. Bruno hit the roof because he thought Madden was screwing with his family. Bruno doesn't give a shit and a half about David, but he is close to the twins and was livid that David gave them up and that Madden had given the chance to do so. He threatened to kill Madden which, sadly, has gone unfulfilled. Ever since then, they've been taking pissy shots at each other whenever the opportunity arises. Bruno is fond of calling Madden, "a sick pathetic excuse for a human being."

Bruno has a huge ego and an ugly temper. Madden has a huge ego and no sense of decency. Volatile combination. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 09:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 4689
Status: 
Offline
Sounds like Madden is not in the wrong there.



____________________
superfunkymean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 11:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7761
Status: 
Offline
That live TV interview with Bruno shooting on Cimino would be a new holy grail for tape collectors. Few, if any incidents like that happened on live TV interviews. Bruno fucking with Ace Orton would have been EXTREMELY interesting. Even though Bruno would have been about 55 or 56, he had the aforementioned explosive temper. On the other hand, Orton was supposedly a legit badass so who knows.

It also makes me wonder how legit the Monsoon story is because Gorilla was another so called legit tough guy who was a very well rounded wrestler. He may not have been quite as strong as Bruno lifting weights but I'm sure the overall power was at least comparable. Put power and skill together and I think Gino would have knocked Bruno's hairpiece sideways.

Last edited on Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 11:16 pm by WongLee



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 11:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
TerryWWWF



Joined: Mon Nov 26th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4322
Status: 
Offline
Most of the "who could take who" speculation is pointless. It depends on who might get in the first punch, who was in the greater state of rage, who took whom by surprise.

You can be the toughest guy in the world, but if you're sitting on a chair minding your own business and get jumped by someone who's out of his mind with rage, you might be half choked to death before you can get out, "What the...."

 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 11:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
TerryWWWF



Joined: Mon Nov 26th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4322
Status: 
Offline
kargol wrote: Sounds like Madden is not in the wrong there.

Who cares? He's a contemptible pig.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 23rd, 2009 11:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7761
Status: 
Offline
TerryWWWF wrote: Most of the "who could take who" speculation is pointless. It depends on who might get in the first punch, who was in the greater state of rage, who took whom by surprise.

You can be the toughest guy in the world, but if you're sitting on a chair minding your own business and get jumped by someone who's out of his mind with rage, you might be half choked to death before you can get out, "What the...."

 

I disagree. That scenario would make perfect sense in the "real" world where literally 98% of the people walking around have never been in a fight and have no real idea how to defend themselves. Now I'm certainly not going to go down the road that pro wres fighters are the toughest guys on earth. But you have to look at the time and place. Monsoon was a top notch college wrestler who would probably not curl up into a fetal position if someone took a poke at him. Sammartino didn't get those cauliflower ears munching on Mrs. Bruno's hairy pussy. These were tough tough guys who knew how to defend themselves and if or when they got hit, they would know what to do.



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Oct 24th, 2009 12:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16661
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote: Sammartino didn't get those cauliflower ears munching on Mrs. Bruno's hairy pussy.
You don't know this.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 04:26 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Bruno Sammartino Backstage Incidents Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems