WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > A Couple of Questions

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
A Couple of Questions  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 12:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9688
Status: 
Offline
Watched a little sports entertainment last night for the first time in years.  I mean that I watched it for more than 3 minutes.

Are there two titles now?  What is the distinction between them?  The Miz had one and Edge had one. 

Wow!  Hogan has nothing on Cena.  He was just oozing with cheeziness for the kiddie fans.  He reinforced  why I quit watching this product. 

Last edited on Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 04:44 pm by Papa Voo



____________________
“Anybody notice that Papa Voo can make all these posts, despite the fact he hasn't been logged in all night? #S&W (Scumbag Liars & Worthless Trash)“

-(Comedian/Troll Wanna Be) Heenan Fan-
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 01:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41301
Status: 
Offline
The "two champions" thing is because there are  "two brands underneath the WWE umbrella" (RAW and Smackdown) - so they are basically doing a "split promotion" thing.

The thought process is that by splitting into two brands guys that wouldn't normally have mic time will get it and there is more opportunity for someone to move up, etc


Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 01:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43335
Status: 
Offline
Papa Voo wrote: Watched a little sports entertainment last for the first time in years.  I mean that I watched it for more than 3 minutes.

Are there two titles now?  What is the distinction between them?  The Miz had one and Edge had one. 

Wow!  Hogan has nothing on Cena.  He was just oozing with cheeziness for the kiddie fans.  He reinforced  why I quit watching this product. 

Just think of it as Miz being the Raw Champ & Edge being the SD champ.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 03:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41301
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: Papa Voo wrote: Watched a little sports entertainment last for the first time in years.  I mean that I watched it for more than 3 minutes.

Are there two titles now?  What is the distinction between them?  The Miz had one and Edge had one. 

Wow!  Hogan has nothing on Cena.  He was just oozing with cheeziness for the kiddie fans.  He reinforced  why I quit watching this product. 

Just think of it as Miz being the Raw Champ & Edge being the SD champ.

Just think of watching half a show. Just think of watching the show and asking yourself "Is this their best effort?" and answering  to yourself "No, of course not"

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 06:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 812
Status: 
Offline
They've had two champions since 2002.

Long story short, it started in 2001 when WWF bought WCW. They had the WWF champion and the WCW champion.

When the WCW angle ended, Vince announced that the WCW champion would just be known as the World champion.

They held a mini tournament to determine an undisputed champion with WWF champion Steve Austin defending against Kurt Angle and World champion The Rock defending against Chris Jericho. Austin and Jericho went onto meet for the undisputed championship which Jericho won.

They continued to use both the WWF and WCW belts which Jericho lost to Triple H at Wrestlemania X8. The next night they announced that they were extending the RAW and Smackdown brands, basically making them separate promotions with their own talent rosters. They had a draft/lottery to decide who would go to what show, but it was announced that whoever the undisputed champion was could wrestle on both shows and Triple H was presented with a new championship belt to replace the old WWF and WCW belts.

The title changed hands several times until Brock Lesnar won it at SummerSlam in 2002. The next night it was announced by SmackDown General Manager Stephanie McMahon that he would be exclusive to SmackDowm, leaving RAW without a champion. At the time Triple H was the #1 contenter to the title, so Eric Bischoff as RAW's General Manager brought out the old WCW belt and named him World heayvweight champion on the grounds that Lesnar refused to face him. So now Lesnar held the WWE title (no longer referred to as undisputed) on SmackDown while Triple H held the World title on RAW.

Over the years the champions have flipped flopped shows several times based on drafts and other angles that have occurred.



____________________
I live alone. I train alone. I'll win the title alone.

-Clubber Lang
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 06:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
stone2k



Joined: Mon Nov 29th, 2010
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts USA
Posts: 8946
Status: 
Offline
DJP wrote:
They've had two champions since 2002.

Long story short, it started in 2001 when WWF bought WCW. They had the WWF champion and the WCW champion.

When the WCW angle ended, Vince announced that the WCW champion would just be known as the World champion.

They held a mini tournament to determine an undisputed champion with WWF champion Steve Austin defending against Kurt Angle and World champion The Rock defending against Chris Jericho. Austin and Jericho went onto meet for the undisputed championship which Jericho won.

They continued to use both the WWF and WCW belts which Jericho lost to Triple H at Wrestlemania X8. The next night they announced that they were extending the RAW and Smackdown brands, basically making them separate promotions with their own talent rosters. They had a draft/lottery to decide who would go to what show, but it was announced that whoever the undisputed champion was could wrestle on both shows and Triple H was presented with a new championship belt to replace the old WWF and WCW belts.

The title changed hands several times until Brock Lesnar won it at SummerSlam in 2002. The next night it was announced by SmackDown General Manager Stephanie McMahon that he would be exclusive to SmackDowm, leaving RAW without a champion. At the time Triple H was the #1 contenter to the title, so Eric Bischoff as RAW's General Manager brought out the old WCW belt and named him World heayvweight champion on the grounds that Lesnar refused to face him. So now Lesnar held the WWE title (no longer referred to as undisputed) on SmackDown while Triple H held the World title on RAW.

Over the years the champions have flipped flopped shows several times based on drafts and other angles that have occurred.


To add to the great summation above, when they introduced a third brand (The ECW reboot) they also had their own title, but eventually it was hardly recognized beyond that show, and was more in line to the IC/ US title level.

Last edited on Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 06:58 pm by stone2k



____________________
Esoteric verbosity culminates in commutative ennui.

De gustibus non est disputandum
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 07:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 11663
Status: 
Offline
i can't remember, but did HHH and Lesnar ever have a program against each other or have a match at a PPV?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 08:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 812
Status: 
Offline
When ECW was first relaunched they tried to give it it's own identity. Even though it was owned and ran by WWE, it wasn't really considered a "WWE brand" like RAW or SmackDown. It was iniitally pushed as it's own promotion. WWE talent appeared on the shows to get it over, but the production and presentation was a little bit different than RAW and Smackdown. The ECW logo was in the bottom left corner of the screen as opposed to the WWE logo and the turnbuckles also didn't have the WWE logo on them. They also initially referred to the title as the ECW World heavyweight championship to basically emphasize that it was separate.

Eventually they decided to take a different direction and it slowly evolved into the third WWE brand that probably had the best matches of all three shows, but was clearly the one that nobody in the company really gave a rat's ass about because it was a brand that WWE didn't create. It only had a one hour timeslot compared to RAW and Smackdown which had two hours, the roster was about one third the size of the other two brands, and consisted mainly of guys who were new to the company or were fodder at the bottom of the barell until Vince finally decided to pull the plug.



____________________
I live alone. I train alone. I'll win the title alone.

-Clubber Lang
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Apr 2nd, 2011 08:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 812
Status: 
Offline
carpetbeggar wrote:
i can't remember, but did HHH and Lesnar ever have a program against each other or have a match at a PPV?


I'm pretty sure they didn't, but I believe they did work some champion vs. champion matches together on the housre shows after Bischoff gave Trips the WCW belt.



____________________
I live alone. I train alone. I'll win the title alone.

-Clubber Lang
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Apr 3rd, 2011 03:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
BruiserBrodyMania



Joined: Tue Jul 27th, 2010
Location:  Monsters Of The Midway
Posts: 871
Status: 
Offline
carpetbeggar wrote: i can't remember, but did HHH and Lesnar ever have a program against each other or have a match at a PPV?

They did have a 3 way match with the Rock at a show called Global Warfare or something like that. The show took place in Australia, so it might of been a ppv there. The show was released on DVD.



____________________
http://www.RoadWarriorsTribute.webs.com
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 11:53 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > A Couple of Questions Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems