WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > NWA Return to the Meadowlands 8/21/84 matches (show was cancelled)

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
NWA Return to the Meadowlands 8/21/84 matches (show was cancelled)  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Oct 20th, 2012 03:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Taylor

 

Joined: Tue May 20th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 503
Status: 
Offline
just going through some old tapes and these were the announced matches. i didnt think they announced anything but they did:

Dusty Rhodes vs. One Man Gang
Freebirds vs. Road Warriors
ivan Koloff/ Don Kernodle vs. Youngbloods

Crockett would not return to the Meadowlands until Pro Wrestling USA in February of 1985.

what a wasted opportunity.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Oct 20th, 2012 10:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 14924
Status: 
Offline
Taylor wrote: just going through some old tapes and these were the announced matches. i didnt think they announced anything but they did:

Dusty Rhodes vs. One Man Gang
Freebirds vs. Road Warriors
ivan Koloff/ Don Kernodle vs. Youngbloods

Crockett would not return to the Meadowlands until Pro Wrestling USA in February of 1985.

what a wasted opportunity.

I'd be curious to know if they cancelled because of poor ticket sales, or something else. The May 1984 show was generally successful from what I gathered (in terms of drawing a crowd, plus at least the main event was heralded as a great match at the time).

Last edited on Sat Oct 20th, 2012 10:58 am by khawk



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Oct 20th, 2012 01:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Taylor

 

Joined: Tue May 20th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 503
Status: 
Offline
I think some of it had to do with Georgia closing and the upheaval that followed. Don't think it was poor ticket sales as they did 14000 in a torrential storm and I don't recall being able to buy tickets for August even though they were advertising it on TV.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Oct 20th, 2012 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 14924
Status: 
Offline
Makes sense.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Oct 20th, 2012 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Taylor

 

Joined: Tue May 20th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 503
Status: 
Offline
It was the greatest time to see the NWA guys but so frustrating to see how bad they screwed it up.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Oct 20th, 2012 10:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Superstar
2018 Poster of the Year


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Isle Of, Malta
Posts: 4671
Status: 
Offline
Didn't the WWF run the Meadowlands in August 84?  Maybe that's why they cancelled?



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Oct 21st, 2012 03:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4355
Status: 
Offline
 

Khawk's predictions for the card at that time:

 

Dusty Rhodes vs. One Man Gang
Freebirds vs. Road Warriors
ivan Koloff/ Don Kernodle vs. Youngbloods


Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 04:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 46283
Status: 
Offline
One Fan Gang wrote:  

Khawk's predictions for the card at that time:

 

Dusty Rhodes vs. One Man Gang
Freebirds vs. Road Warriors
ivan Koloff/ Don Kernodle vs. Youngbloods

He would've won a Rick Springfield cassette from Hammettime if he had been right.  Damn cancellations.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 12:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 14924
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: One Fan Gang wrote:  

Khawk's predictions for the card at that time:

 

Dusty Rhodes vs. One Man Gang
Freebirds vs. Road Warriors
ivan Koloff/ Don Kernodle vs. Youngbloods

He would've won a Rick Springfield cassette from Hammettime if he had been right.  Damn cancellations.

:D



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Taylor

 

Joined: Tue May 20th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 503
Status: 
Offline
WWF did not run in August.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 03:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Freebirds over the Road Warriors?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 03:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 14924
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: Freebirds over the Road Warriors?

The left-side of the Column deems it would have been so. :)



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Oct 22nd, 2012 03:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote:
mike3775 wrote: Freebirds over the Road Warriors?

The left-side of the Column deems it would have been so. :)


Puff puff pass motherfucker. :)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 11:58 am  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > NWA Return to the Meadowlands 8/21/84 matches (show was cancelled) Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems