WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Unpopular Opinions  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 09:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: D-ville
Posts: 2257
Status: 
Offline
I've never cared for Piper



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 05:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
yellowdog wrote: srossi wrote: HBF wrote: Chief Jay Strongbow and Ivan Putski pretty much sucked.

Everyone knows that.

I think you're both underselling Strongbow based on his late 70s early 80s tenure.  In the early 70s he was Number 2 (no jokes) behind Pedro who also didn't suck then but did late in his career.  Putski, I agree 100%
YD, I only saw Strongbow from about 1976-onward, as I was about 8 years old at the time. I said to my grandmother (who loved the Chief) "he's not even hitting him!" It wasn't difficult to figure out when watching a Chief match.  I know how important he is to WWWF history but he looked like the softest wrestler of all time and I figured that out very young.  Putski was pretty bad, but again was one of my grandparents favorites.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 05:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
Curt Hennig, circa 1981, wasn't very good.  When I heard he came back as "Mr Perfect", I thought it was a joke.


Last edited on Sat Jul 9th, 2016 05:30 pm by HBF



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3799
Status: 
Offline
HBF wrote: yellowdog wrote: srossi wrote: HBF wrote: Chief Jay Strongbow and Ivan Putski pretty much sucked.

Everyone knows that.

I think you're both underselling Strongbow based on his late 70s early 80s tenure.  In the early 70s he was Number 2 (no jokes) behind Pedro who also didn't suck then but did late in his career.  Putski, I agree 100%
YD, I only saw Strongbow from about 1976-onward, as I was about 8 years old at the time. I said to my grandmother (who loved the Chief) "he's not even hitting him!" It wasn't difficult to figure out when watching a Chief match.  I know how important he is to WWWF history but he looked like the softest wrestler of all time and I figured that out very young.  Putski was pretty bad, but again was one of my grandparents favorites.

I definitely agree by 1976 he was done. He was 48 in 1976. He had gotten quite a bit heavier.  My Strongbow memories were of him 1971-1973 when he was #2 Baby for Sr. and faced everyone before they got a shot at Pedro.  I was in High School when Pedro was champ.  Joe Scarpa before that wasn't bad either.  Everyone seems to remember Baron Mikel Scicluna as a jobber but I remember him challenging Bruno for the title in the late 60s.



____________________
"It's a Dog Eat Dog World"
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 07:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
The Baron was the undisputed king of WWWF jobber TV.  Loved that guy.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 08:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 8937
Status: 
Offline
I remember Scicluna being a credible heel.

Strongbow was near top of the list in 1974, also.

Last edited on Sat Jul 9th, 2016 08:39 pm by Papa Voo

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 09:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 11392
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: Jim Ross was a highly over-rated announcer. He was good in the UWF and WCW but everything after that was average at best.

Preach on Brother Blowjob, I agree and have been saying it for years.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 09:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1531
Status: 
Offline
Never been a fan of Mick Foley. In anyway. never found him funny. never liked his interviews or any of his work in the ring. and I could care less about the big leap off the cage. Don't think he should be beloved for any of it.

Last edited on Sat Jul 9th, 2016 09:40 pm by Spatulapup

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 09:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1531
Status: 
Offline
Qaenos wrote: My unpopular opinions:

-Hulk Hogan is the greatest professional wrestler of all time. He's not my favorite (that would be Snuka), but he was the best.

-Bobby Heenan is overrated. I liked him, but the way people talk about him like he was some sort of comedic genius, is bizarre. He had about 1 good joke for every 10 attempts. He was fine as a manager, but Jesse Ventura was a FAR better heel announcer.

-Stone Cold Steve Austin was lame. Never liked him as a wrestler, but I really do enjoy his podcasts now. I know he was over and all that, but he was a channel changer to me back in the Attitude era. I hated his working class hero/badass gimmick. Giving the finger to his boss wasn't cool to me. I had no respect for him and thought his fans were all white trash losers.

Steve Austin and DX appealed to the worst fans I have ever encountered at wrestling events. just terrible. their behavior at the shows carried out in the hallways, food stands, merch tables. just awful, immature, obnoxious behavior. and it was not just teenagers. grown men with their children and just grown up people who had not grown up. even women got into the behavior. never seen it that bad at wrestling shows before or after.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 09:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 4151
Status: 
Offline
The best wrestler in American history is Kurt Angle. Could do almost everything better than anyone else who has ever wrestled.



____________________
superfunkymean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 9th, 2016 09:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 11392
Status: 
Offline
Man things were going good in this thread till about a quarter to halfway down the second page....then it bordered on straight up blasphemy. ;-)


In all seriousness, something I want to bring up that Tamalie brought up about the attitude era....I never really touched on it before on the boards through the years, but once Montreal happened & Bret left for WCW my interest peaked I think. I was always a big fan of what was going on through the early to mid 90's when so many thought it sucked. For me my interest was white hot in '97, but like I said dropped off after the Survivor Series. I was still hugely into it through the buildup to the Tyson-Austin-HBK Wrestlemania, but as soon as the post mania season began my interest plummeted and it never came anywhere near what it was before then, Anytime from then on when something piqued my interest, the bookers/writers could never hold my interest.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 10th, 2016 03:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3799
Status: 
Offline
carpetbeggar wrote: Man things were going good in this thread till about a quarter to halfway down the second page....then it bordered on straight up blasphemy. ;-)


In all seriousness, something I want to bring up that Tamalie brought up about the attitude era....I never really touched on it before on the boards through the years, but once Montreal happened & Bret left for WCW my interest peaked I think. I was always a big fan of what was going on through the early to mid 90's when so many thought it sucked. For me my interest was white hot in '97, but like I said dropped off after the Survivor Series. I was still hugely into it through the buildup to the Tyson-Austin-HBK Wrestlemania, but as soon as the post mania season began my interest plummeted and it never came anywhere near what it was before then, Anytime from then on when something piqued my interest, the bookers/writers could never hold my interest.

agree with this for the most part.  I wrote an article for a MN website in 1999 right after the SummerSlam in Minneapolis where Jesse Ventura was ref in the main event while Governor.  I was at that show.  Mick Foley had a number one seller, ratings were at an all time high and I said that was it.  Wrestling would never  be this popular again.  I wasn't far off. may have peaked a year later.

Last edited on Sun Jul 10th, 2016 03:12 am by yellowdog



____________________
"It's a Dog Eat Dog World"
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 10th, 2016 05:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 11392
Status: 
Offline
yellowdog wrote: carpetbeggar wrote: Man things were going good in this thread till about a quarter to halfway down the second page....then it bordered on straight up blasphemy. ;-)


In all seriousness, something I want to bring up that Tamalie brought up about the attitude era....I never really touched on it before on the boards through the years, but once Montreal happened & Bret left for WCW my interest peaked I think. I was always a big fan of what was going on through the early to mid 90's when so many thought it sucked. For me my interest was white hot in '97, but like I said dropped off after the Survivor Series. I was still hugely into it through the buildup to the Tyson-Austin-HBK Wrestlemania, but as soon as the post mania season began my interest plummeted and it never came anywhere near what it was before then, Anytime from then on when something piqued my interest, the bookers/writers could never hold my interest.

agree with this for the most part.  I wrote an article for a MN website in 1999 right after the SummerSlam in Minneapolis where Jesse Ventura was ref in the main event while Governor.  I was at that show.  Mick Foley had a number one seller, ratings were at an all time high and I said that was it.  Wrestling would never  be this popular again.  I wasn't far off. may have peaked a year later.

Yeah, plus I basically lived out of a suitcase from '96 to '02, living in hotels due to my job in construction....And after working 12 to 13 hour days 6 or 7 days a week, the last thing I wanted to do was watch pro wres late on a Monday night.....When I did have time off I tryed to get caught up on the WWF, WCW & ECW, but gimmicks like Val Venus, The Godfather, Rikishi dancing turned me off....I did love Funk as Chainsaw Charlie & Foley & his feud with the New Age Outlaws....The Hardcore title stuff was fun at first, but got real stupid,  real quick.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 10th, 2016 05:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3799
Status: 
Offline
I marked out for the Godfather. Not because of the hos. I just thought that particular gimmick was funny. I loved the Monday night wars but did so as much for the ratings battle and counter programming. I work in broadcasting so that was fascinating to me.



____________________
"It's a Dog Eat Dog World"
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 10th, 2016 06:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 11392
Status: 
Offline
yellowdog wrote: carpetbeggar wrote: Man things were going good in this thread till about a quarter to halfway down the second page....then it bordered on straight up blasphemy. ;-)


In all seriousness, something I want to bring up that Tamalie brought up about the attitude era....I never really touched on it before on the boards through the years, but once Montreal happened & Bret left for WCW my interest peaked I think. I was always a big fan of what was going on through the early to mid 90's when so many thought it sucked. For me my interest was white hot in '97, but like I said dropped off after the Survivor Series. I was still hugely into it through the buildup to the Tyson-Austin-HBK Wrestlemania, but as soon as the post mania season began my interest plummeted and it never came anywhere near what it was before then, Anytime from then on when something piqued my interest, the bookers/writers could never hold my interest.

agree with this for the most part.  I wrote an article for a MN website in 1999 right after the SummerSlam in Minneapolis where Jesse Ventura was ref in the main event while Governor.  I was at that show.  Mick Foley had a number one seller, ratings were at an all time high and I said that was it.  Wrestling would never  be this popular again.  I wasn't far off. may have peaked a year later.

Yeah, plus I basically lived out of a suitcase from '96 to '02, living in hotels due to my job in construction....And after working 12 to 13 hour days 6 or 7 days a week, the last thing I wanted to do was watch pro wres late on a Monday night.....When I did have time off I tryed to get caught up on the WWF, WCW & ECW, but gimmicks like Val Venus, The Godfather, Rikishi dancing turned me off....I did love Funk as Chainsaw Charlie & Foley & his feud with the New Age Outlaws....The Hardcore title stuff was fun at first, but got real stupid,  real quick.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 03:26 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Unpopular Opinions Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems