WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Why Beth Phoenix??  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 07:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
TXM



Joined: Fri Jul 29th, 2011
Location: Dubuque, Iowa USA
Posts: 929
Status: 
Offline
I only remember here being around for only a couple years. The only thing I can distinctively recall about her time was some comedy stuff with Santino Marella.

I understand they can put in anyone they choose, and try to fill certain gender/race categories, but why her? I can probably name a dozen women off the top of my head who had more notable careers that aren't in the HOF.

What am I missing here?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 07:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Boz1515



Joined: Sat May 26th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 1615
Status: 
Offline
TXM wrote: I only remember here being around for only a couple years. The only thing I can distinctively recall about her time was some comedy stuff with Santino Marella.

I understand they can put in anyone they choose, and try to fill certain gender/race categories, but why her? I can probably name a dozen women off the top of my head who had more notable careers that aren't in the HOF.

What am I missing here?



Well, I guess they think today's average fan would not remember Leilani Kai or Judy Martin.





Last edited on Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 07:22 am by Boz1515

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 07:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
There's a finite number of women they can put in, especially since they insist on 1 per year. And she's married to Edge.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
indikator



Joined: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009
Location: Bratenwender City, Germany
Posts: 2572
Status: 
Offline
Pretty much all "Diva" discussion starts with Lita and Trish, it's interesting to see how forgotten Wendi Richter and Alundra Blayze are (I guess they would call her that rather than Madusa, being WWE-centric)



____________________
The Don Owen signature has been retired as the Dean Silverstone book made the point that he was an antisemite. I shall give you a Greatmuta1025 approved Hello Kitty picture instead.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 06:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 17838
Status: 
Offline
indikator wrote: Pretty much all "Diva" discussion starts with Lita and Trish, it's interesting to see how forgotten Wendi Richter and Alundra Blayze are (I guess they would call her that rather than Madusa, being WWE-centric)
Well Richter and Blayze are all ready in HOF. 



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated September 2 2018)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 07:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49592
Status: 
Offline
indikator wrote: Pretty much all "Diva" discussion starts with Lita and Trish, it's interesting to see how forgotten Wendi Richter and Alundra Blayze are (I guess they would call her that rather than Madusa, being WWE-centric)
Alundra Blayze is back in good graces with WWE since her own HOF induction and has been put over as a trailblazer.  She had a JBL interview, a Table for 3, and many other WWE Network shows built around her.  She was forgotten for a decade but certainly not the past couple of years. 

Richter of course still has heat with WWE over the way she left, and wasn't particularly good anyway.  She was red hot for like 3 months in her entire career.  As important as she was to the Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection, it's not like it wouldn't have done just as well without her or with almost any other female wrestler in that role.  She was in the right place at the right time.  If Rockin' Robin was 3 years older, that could've been her and she would've been better. 

Edit: Apparently Richter was inducted into the WWE HOF in 2010, which I don't remember at all, but unlike Blaze they've never mentioned her again. 

Last edited on Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 07:11 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 07:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
indikator



Joined: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009
Location: Bratenwender City, Germany
Posts: 2572
Status: 
Offline
It's more about the modern discussion if Charlotte/Sasha/Bailey are the best US women of all time. And especially Madusa had some really great matches with Bull Nakano in the US, so she shouldn't be dismissed. It's probably more difficult with Richter, not sure if someone has done an indepth look at her career from a workrate angle. I faintly remember swooning over a "boxing" match between Madusa and Aja Kong from 1989 in Japan where they basically just tried to murder each other like in a literal street fight, so for Madusa you have to consider her AJW career as well.



____________________
The Don Owen signature has been retired as the Dean Silverstone book made the point that he was an antisemite. I shall give you a Greatmuta1025 approved Hello Kitty picture instead.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 07:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49592
Status: 
Offline
indikator wrote: It's more about the modern discussion if Charlotte/Sasha/Bailey are the best US women of all time. And especially Madusa had some really great matches with Bull Nakano in the US, so she shouldn't be dismissed. It's probably more difficult with Richter, not sure if someone has done an indepth look at her career from a workrate angle. I faintly remember swooning over a "boxing" match between Madusa and Aja Kong from 1989 in Japan where they basically just tried to murder each other like in a literal street fight, so for Madusa you have to consider her AJW career as well.
Madusa was probably widely considered the best American female wrestler of the '80s.  I don't know if anyone else was close.  She was on a completely different level than Sherri Martel.  She was just about the only one who could hang with the Japanese women and both WWE and WCW tried to build women's divisions around her but there was just no one for her to face.  Even if the corporate push was there to make the women's divisions more than a sideshow, there was virtually no American talent for her to work with and showcase her style.  WWE tried when they brought in Kong, but there's only so many times they could wrestle.  It was a 2-women division and you know they didn't want to import 12 Japanese women who didn't speak English to try to make it work.  I think she gets recognition, but she was just ahead of her time and didn't have the competition in America to really break out here.  I'm not sure how she's remembered in Japan.

Last edited on Thu Mar 23rd, 2017 07:44 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 02:12 am  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Why Beth Phoenix?? Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems