WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Gimme Some Good SURPRISE APPEARANCES

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gimme Some Good SURPRISE APPEARANCES  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 4th, 2017 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41706
Status: 
Offline
Honky Tonk calling out the dressing room at Summerslam and out comes the Ultimate Warrior

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Apr 4th, 2017 06:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
LarrySC



Joined: Mon Mar 21st, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 1628
Status: 
Offline
One Fan Gang wrote: Nikita Koloff as Magnum's replacement with Dusty vs. Ole Anderson and JJ Dillon in the cage.
This is one of my all time favorites.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Apr 4th, 2017 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Arnold_OldSchool

 

Joined: Wed Sep 28th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 1080
Status: 
Offline
Pampero Firpo being pulled out on AWA TV by Greg Gagne

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Apr 4th, 2017 08:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49797
Status: 
Offline
LarrySC wrote: One Fan Gang wrote: Nikita Koloff as Magnum's replacement with Dusty vs. Ole Anderson and JJ Dillon in the cage.
This is one of my all time favorites.

One of the biggest pops I've ever heard.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Apr 5th, 2017 03:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Erick Von Erich

 

Joined: Thu Mar 26th, 2015
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 570
Status: 
Offline
I wanted to love that surprise--and it's still one of my favorite markdom moments--- but Sean Mooney spoiled it for me on the "Events Center" about two weeks earlier. They were promoting a local card and announced Honky Tonk vs. Ultimate Warrior as a top match.

Still... the 30 second demolition of Honky was cool.


-Ricky Steamboat coming out as Eddie Gilbert's partner on TBS "World Championship Wrestling" against Ric Flair and Barry Windham was a surprise (to me, at least).

-Warrior and the LOD both returning at WM8

-I knew Sting was in talk with WWE and would show up eventually, but when the lights went out at Survivor Series 2014 and the video played...I about pee'd myself. Did not expect him to debut in that way. I remember thumping my couch and yelling to my dog: "No shit?!! Stinger's coming!!! Yes!!"

-Not a good surprise, but something nobody expected was Road Warrior Animal returning as Ric Flair's "Mystery Man" in early 2001 to WCW. It was more of a head-scratching surprise. In terms of being a "surprise", it certainly was. An entertaining or interesting "surprise"? No.



____________________
http://www.dawrestlingsite.com
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 5th, 2017 03:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
Erick Von Erich wrote: I wanted to love that surprise--and it's still one of my favorite markdom moments--- but Sean Mooney spoiled it for me on the "Events Center" about two weeks earlier. They were promoting a local card and announced Honky Tonk vs. Ultimate Warrior as a top match.

This could be its own thread. What big shows were spoiled because of local promos for a future show? Lol.

WWF spoiled SummerSlam 94 for me. They were coming to town soon after and the promos all referred to finishes to a PPV that was a week away. The main event would be Bret vs. Neidhart for the belt, and they were discussing how the Anvil interfered at SS but Bret won anyway.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Apr 6th, 2017 01:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49797
Status: 
Offline
LAF wrote: Erick Von Erich wrote: I wanted to love that surprise--and it's still one of my favorite markdom moments--- but Sean Mooney spoiled it for me on the "Events Center" about two weeks earlier. They were promoting a local card and announced Honky Tonk vs. Ultimate Warrior as a top match.

This could be its own thread. What big shows were spoiled because of local promos for a future show? Lol.

WWF spoiled SummerSlam 94 for me. They were coming to town soon after and the promos all referred to finishes to a PPV that was a week away. The main event would be Bret vs. Neidhart for the belt, and they were discussing how the Anvil interfered at SS but Bret won anyway.

I seem to recall that WWF Magazine released their issue with Savage as World champion before WMIV.  That was a big one. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Apr 25th, 2017 09:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Erick Von Erich

 

Joined: Thu Mar 26th, 2015
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 570
Status: 
Offline
I was a huge WWF mark in 1988 and remember that the "WWF Magazine" was usually about three months behind the "real world". I remember seeing the issue with the WrestleMania IV recap (and Savage as champ) sometime in June of 1988. I was working that summer with my dad, distributing magazines and books to retail stores. Subscribers may have gotten it a few weeks earlier, but it's not like they were receiving it in March.

Oh, and the Honky/Warrior Events Center thing didn't mention that Warrior would be the IC champ. Just that Honky vs Warrior would be on the card. So, as a mark, I put two and two together and thought: "well, that's interesting. That feud's probably starting soon". The announcement aired probably the second week of August 1988, promoting a late September 1988 house show. It was just bad timing.

When Honky did his open challenge at SummerSlam, I immediately thought: "well, here comes Ultimate Warrior". When his music hit, I still about pee'd myself. Didn't think he'd win the title, much less in a 30 second demolition. So that was a surprise... but the whole surprise package was ruined by about 50% thanks to Sean Mooney and the Events Center.



____________________
http://www.dawrestlingsite.com
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Apr 26th, 2017 05:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Heenan Fan



Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 2119
Status: 
Offline
Erick Von Erich wrote:
-I knew Sting was in talk with WWE and would show up eventually, but when the lights went out at Survivor Series 2014 and the video played...I about pee'd myself. Did not expect him to debut in that way. I remember thumping my couch and yelling to my dog: "No shit?!! Stinger's coming!!! Yes!!"
Actual footage:

https://youtu.be/N516x2izZFs



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" Me, 2019

"I'm too smart to be a Democrat and too poor to be a Republican." Me, 2000
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Apr 26th, 2017 08:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Blazer
Mr Monday Night!


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6084
Status: 
Offline
KGB wrote: Steamboat showing up at Clash 17 as a replacement for Barry Windham, teaming with Dustin Rhodes vs. Arn Anderson and Larry Z. Seltzer had reported this was possible but it hasn't been confirmed. It popped the crowd and resulted in a fantastic match in which the titles changed hands. It was a real shot in the arm for WCW too.
This is one of my favorites.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 04:53 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Gimme Some Good SURPRISE APPEARANCES Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems