WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > NJPW G-1 Special from the Cow Palace

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
NJPW G-1 Special from the Cow Palace  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 8th, 2018 04:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20360
Status: 
Offline
Kenny Omega vs Cody Rhodes for the IWGP Heavyweight Title

Jay White vs Juice Robinson for the IWGP United States Title

Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title

Kazuchika Okada & Will Ospreay vs Tetsuya Naito & Bushi

Young Bucks vs Seiya Sanada & EVIL for IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles

Hirooki Goto vs Jeff Cobb for the NJPW Never Open Title

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kushida vs Hangman Page & Marty Scurll

Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr vs Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano

King Haku & Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa & Chase Owens & Yujiro Takahashi vs Rocky Romero & Sho & Yoh & Gedo & Yoshi-Hashi 


The Omega/Cody match was slow at times and it seemed like it wasn't put together all that well. Of course, the after match will get all the headlines and it made Omega's 1st title defense meaningless. Glad to see Juice Robinson win as he has worked really hard in New Japan. White is finding his style as a dickhead heel. Wondering if a match between White & Barnett is happening soon? Hiromu/Dragon Lee was great as usual as both guys know each other like the back of their hands.  Young Bucks looked good and is wrestling a more serious style lately in New Japan. Would've really liked to see EVIL/Sanada get the belts back however. Goto/Cobb sucked and the rest of the matches were just filler. Also, they really need to get rid of Jim Ross. He really has no clue and it sounds pretty bad.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 8th, 2018 03:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
cdewar19

 

Joined: Mon Feb 22nd, 2010
Location: In The Ruins Of CanadInns Stadium, Manitoba Canada
Posts: 1525
Status: 
Offline
Meltzer says Hiromu broke his neck last night.



____________________
"Getting promotionally outmaneuvered by TNA is like when Cartman lost all of his events at the Special Olympics." - tofu chipmunk
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 8th, 2018 04:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 45675
Status: 
Offline
cdewar19 wrote: Meltzer says Hiromu broke his neck last night.
I saw that spot and said no way in hell he doesn’t have a broken neck. I couldn’t believe he kept going. A real shame because he’s been on fire. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 9th, 2018 04:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 12732
Status: 
Online
Omega: I'm a Toys R Us kid.
Rhodes: I'm glad they are closed.

For some reason I found that funny during the press conference the day before the match.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 9th, 2018 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20360
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: cdewar19 wrote: Meltzer says Hiromu broke his neck last night.
I saw that spot and said no way in hell he doesn’t have a broken neck. I couldn’t believe he kept going. A real shame because he’s been on fire. 

Kenny Omega sent an out of character tweet saying to pray for his recovery. Wondering on how serious this injury actually is.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 9th, 2018 03:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 45675
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: srossi wrote: cdewar19 wrote: Meltzer says Hiromu broke his neck last night.
I saw that spot and said no way in hell he doesn’t have a broken neck. I couldn’t believe he kept going. A real shame because he’s been on fire. 

Kenny Omega sent an out of character tweet saying to pray for his recovery. Wondering on how serious this injury actually is.

NJPW released a statement saying he's able to sit up and talk.  They're still running tests on the severity.  The fact that he finished that match is insane.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jul 10th, 2018 01:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 45675
Status: 
Offline
The bizarre scene involving Jay White and announcers Jim Ross and Josh Barnett is supposedly a shoot. White did an unplanned spot where he sent Juice Robinson into the announce table, knocking Jim Ross out of his seat and causing Barnett to jump up and chase White. Both announcers threw out expletives (Barnett screamed right into the camera that White was a motherfucker) and JR started screaming about the whole show being run unprofessionally, which just seemed strange to say about the guys employing you. JR really harped on it for a while and later complained about the ring crew not attaching the railings properly when a fan got a guardrail knocked into his lap and was in obvious pain. JR was obviously in a sour mood the rest of the show (but then again he seems like that a lot lately).  But with Barnett and White getting into it, it also seemed like an angle to set up something between them at the next USA show. Apparently it was not, and the whole thing was spontaneous and the announcers were livid at White. 

I suppose it can still turn into an angle down the line, especially since Barnett got a big reaction from the crowd when he hit the ring.  Barnett hasn't wrestled since January 2017 when he did a one-off at the Impact TV tapings, beating a jobber named Bad Bones and then losing to Bobby Lashley at the height of the wrestling vs. MMA angle that they were running.

Meltzer reported that JR was in terrible pain the rest of the show and JR himself tweeted that he can't lift his arm and suspects he has a broken rib, which he was supposed to confirm with a doctor yesterday.  JR also tweeted that the spot was never discussed with him and his "bump" was very unexpected.

Last edited on Tue Jul 10th, 2018 02:03 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jul 10th, 2018 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20360
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: The bizarre scene involving Jay White and announcers Jim Ross and Josh Barnett is supposedly a shoot. White did an unplanned spot where he sent Juice Robinson into the announce table, knocking Jim Ross out of his seat and causing Barnett to jump up and chase White. Both announcers threw out expletives (Barnett screamed right into the camera that White was a motherfucker) and JR started screaming about the whole show being run unprofessionally, which just seemed strange to say about the guys employing you. JR really harped on it for a while and later complained about the ring crew not attaching the railings properly when a fan got a guardrail knocked into his lap and was in obvious pain. JR was obviously in a sour mood the rest of the show (but then again he seems like that a lot lately).  But with Barnett and White getting into it, it also seemed like an angle to set up something between them at the next USA show. Apparently it was not, and the whole thing was spontaneous and the announcers were livid at White. 

I suppose it can still turn into an angle down the line, especially since Barnett got a big reaction from the crowd when he hit the ring.  Barnett hasn't wrestled since January 2017 when he did a one-off at the Impact TV tapings, beating a jobber named Bad Bones and then losing to Bobby Lashley at the height of the wrestling vs. MMA angle that they were running.

Meltzer reported that JR was in terrible pain the rest of the show and JR himself tweeted that he can't lift his arm and suspects he has a broken rib, which he was supposed to confirm with a doctor yesterday.  JR also tweeted that the spot was never discussed with him and his "bump" was very unexpected.

During last nights RAW, Coach said something to the effect that rib injuries seem to be going around a lot lately. Ross also said that before the show, he asked that they wouldn't fight near the announcers table. Maybe they will finally fire Ross since he doesn't know half the wrestlers nor their moves unless Barnett says it first.

Last edited on Tue Jul 10th, 2018 05:16 pm by freebirdsforever2001



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jul 10th, 2018 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 45675
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: srossi wrote: The bizarre scene involving Jay White and announcers Jim Ross and Josh Barnett is supposedly a shoot. White did an unplanned spot where he sent Juice Robinson into the announce table, knocking Jim Ross out of his seat and causing Barnett to jump up and chase White. Both announcers threw out expletives (Barnett screamed right into the camera that White was a motherfucker) and JR started screaming about the whole show being run unprofessionally, which just seemed strange to say about the guys employing you. JR really harped on it for a while and later complained about the ring crew not attaching the railings properly when a fan got a guardrail knocked into his lap and was in obvious pain. JR was obviously in a sour mood the rest of the show (but then again he seems like that a lot lately).  But with Barnett and White getting into it, it also seemed like an angle to set up something between them at the next USA show. Apparently it was not, and the whole thing was spontaneous and the announcers were livid at White. 

I suppose it can still turn into an angle down the line, especially since Barnett got a big reaction from the crowd when he hit the ring.  Barnett hasn't wrestled since January 2017 when he did a one-off at the Impact TV tapings, beating a jobber named Bad Bones and then losing to Bobby Lashley at the height of the wrestling vs. MMA angle that they were running.

Meltzer reported that JR was in terrible pain the rest of the show and JR himself tweeted that he can't lift his arm and suspects he has a broken rib, which he was supposed to confirm with a doctor yesterday.  JR also tweeted that the spot was never discussed with him and his "bump" was very unexpected.

During last nights RAW, Coach said something to the effect that rib injuries seem to be going around a lot lately. Ross also said that before the show, he asked that they wouldn't fight near the announcers table. Maybe they will finally fire Ross since he doesn't know half the wrestlers nor their moves unless Barnett says it first.

I caught Coach's comment and took it as a dig at JR somehow, but I wasn't sure if I was imagining it.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jul 12th, 2018 12:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Taylor

 

Joined: Tue May 20th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 495
Status: 
Offline
I find New Japan so hard to watch now. The predictable spots, ref bumps, awful AXS tv announcing, and guys trying to kill themselves to get over.

I want them to succeed in the US but I find it very hard to watch modern pro wrestling.

And why does Cody have a manager with a bear head?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jul 12th, 2018 01:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20360
Status: 
Offline
Taylor wrote: I find New Japan so hard to watch now. The predictable spots, ref bumps, awful AXS tv announcing, and guys trying to kill themselves to get over.

I want them to succeed in the US but I find it very hard to watch modern pro wrestling.

And why does Cody have a manager with a bear head?

Cody's wife Brandi is his manager. Also, Josh Barnett is carrying Jim Ross in the announcing department. There is a lot of good NJPW going on and is still exciting for me to watch. Wish there is more Ishii in the telecasts.

Last edited on Thu Jul 12th, 2018 01:47 am by freebirdsforever2001



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jul 12th, 2018 01:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 45675
Status: 
Offline
Taylor wrote: I find New Japan so hard to watch now. The predictable spots, ref bumps, awful AXS tv announcing, and guys trying to kill themselves to get over.

There really are very, very few ref bumps in NJPW so I'm not sure what you're referring to there.  There was one on this show, but I think that was done to Americanize the product a bit.  It almost never happens in Japan.  Instead, guys typically cheat right in front of the ref, which is worse IMO.  Every NJPW match is essentially a no-DQ match like ECW used to be.  It's technically possible to be DQ'ed, but it almost never happens even when there are blatant chair shots and outside interference in front of the ref.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jul 12th, 2018 07:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Taylor

 

Joined: Tue May 20th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 495
Status: 
Offline
There have been tons of ref bumps in New Japan over the past several years. I agree that the stuff in front of the ref is worse however.

The style overall was much better back in the day and was more legitimate. These guys are better athletes now but the performance looks fake and contrived versus a real contest.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2018 12:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20360
Status: 
Offline
Taylor wrote: There have been tons of ref bumps in New Japan over the past several years. I agree that the stuff in front of the ref is worse however.

The style overall was much better back in the day and was more legitimate. These guys are better athletes now but the performance looks fake and contrived versus a real contest.
Watch AJPW since they also have a streaming service.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 11:21 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > NJPW G-1 Special from the Cow Palace Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems