WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
83 Weeks  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 03:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 4535
Status: 
Offline
Anyone listening to this? 

I’m really enjoying this podcast; right or wrong I find Eric very believable and likeable. 



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 03:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6706
Status: 
Offline
Not listening currently, but have listened to him on a couple of other podcasts over the years (once with JR, once with Flair). But, yeah, he seems very personable and likable. You wouldn't expect that, and maybe that's part of the bs charm that he used to get to where he was back then. I think I can usually see through that though (like, Prichard seems like a lying dirtbag for the most part). Bischoff seems genuine.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 03:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 1005
Status: 
Offline
I listen every week. He may or may not be full of shit depending on the topic. But I agree he is a charming dude and seems cool as fuck.



____________________
I live alone. I train alone. I'll win the title alone.

-Clubber Lang
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 07:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6959
Status: 
Online
Love the show. I think he's more open and truthful than Prichard and he'll actually admit sometimes when he actually screwed stuff up, that's refreshing. As far as Conrad's shows go now I much prefer Tony's and Eric's shows to Bruce's now..



____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 08:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 1005
Status: 
Offline
I make it a point to listen to Tony's podcast every week too. They really found his niche with the watch alongs. I listen to Prichard's only if I'm interested in the subject matter. Of the three Tony comes across as the most genuine and truthful because he clearly gives zero fucks about anything. Bischoff would be cool to have a beer with and shoot the shit. Bruce I wouldn't even buy a car from.



____________________
I live alone. I train alone. I'll win the title alone.

-Clubber Lang
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 08:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4836
Status: 
Offline
Eric Bischoff has a lot of justifications for what he did specifically and what WCW did in general. He also seems to often see things only through his own eyes at the expense of any other possible viewpoint or path. However, I believe that he's honest to the extent that he believes his own version of the truth.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 08:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52725
Status: 
Offline
Married Jo wrote: Love the show. I think he's more open and truthful than Prichard and he'll actually admit sometimes when he actually screwed stuff up, that's refreshing. As far as Conrad's shows go now I much prefer Tony's and Eric's shows to Bruce's now..
Bruce is a natural heel, and by that I probably mean he's a dick.  The stuff he defends on his show is mind-boggling, to the point that I can't tell if it's schtick or if he's delusuonal.  I think it's schtick...I hope.  But having a heel host on a show like that doesn't do much for me.  There's only so many times you can hear him mock Internet fans on a fucking podcast whose viewership is made up 100% of Internet fans. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 10:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
martini
Sunny's White Knight


Joined: Fri Aug 13th, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 4005
Status: 
Offline
I enjoy all three shows but the Meltzer ripping is so annoying week and week.



____________________
Shaken, but not stirred.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2018 02:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6995
Status: 
Offline
Didn't know about this.  Just subscribed.  Thanks.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2018 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cincy, Ohio
Posts: 4535
Status: 
Offline
martini wrote:I enjoy all three shows but the Meltzer ripping is so annoying week and week.
I don’t mind the Meltzer bashing on certain things with Tony and Eric because Dave wasn’t there and wouldn’t know things that were happening in the turner AP and AR departments but Bruce seems like an ass about everythingg all the time. I haven’t listened to Bruce in months because I usually tend to binge these and I’m not in a mood to hear about the WWF lately but when I last listened Bruce was pissing me off with his Hate of the Japanese style; Everything not WWF style isn’t automatically wrong. 

I’ve never subscribed or read much of Dave’s work but clearly he knows a lot about the business and has been respected by some of those in it for a long time. 

Is he a historian? I don’t know maybe Wong or Matt Farmer could answer that. 

Did Dave have sources aka stooges? Does / did Dave have favorites? Did / does he make educated guesses and possibly take a leap by connecting some dots? I think answer to all of those questions are yes and it does bother me when Eric tries to over explain things to dispute one of Dave’s point when he probably should just say “Dave nailed that one” like he does from time to time anyway. 






____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2018 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6959
Status: 
Online
I will say this about Bruce, when he's talking NON WWF/E stuff he's way more genuine and enjoyable. I think he really doesn't want to burn any WWE bridges so he sucks their ass way too much but those Global and Houston podcasts he did with Conrad are solid gold..

Last edited on Fri Oct 19th, 2018 04:43 pm by Married Jo



____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2018 04:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
broke



Joined: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008
Location: Bolton, ON
Posts: 3221
Status: 
Offline
Bruce might as well do his podcasts in the Vince McMahon voice for some of the stuff he defends.



____________________
Comic Saaaaaannnsss
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2018 09:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Boz1515



Joined: Sat May 26th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2006
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Married Jo wrote: Love the show. I think he's more open and truthful than Prichard and he'll actually admit sometimes when he actually screwed stuff up, that's refreshing. As far as Conrad's shows go now I much prefer Tony's and Eric's shows to Bruce's now..
Bruce is a natural heel, and by that I probably mean he's a dick.  The stuff he defends on his show is mind-boggling, to the point that I can't tell if it's schtick or if he's delusuonal.  I think it's schtick...I hope.  But having a heel host on a show like that doesn't do much for me.  There's only so many times you can hear him mock Internet fans on a fucking podcast whose viewership is made up 100% of Internet fans. 
Yeah, at times I am also convinced that if Bruce can't remember something, he just makes something up.  For example, when they covered the Main Event special from February of '88, Conrad points out to him that the Hogan workout vignette uses Jake Roberts' theme song.  Bruce tries to explain why they would use another guy's theme for this piece, when in reality, Jake had never used this theme (or any theme in WWE) prior to that episode.  I think if he doesn't know or can't remember, he just ad libs to make the show entertaining, even if it leads to factual inaccuracy. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2018 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Boz1515



Joined: Sat May 26th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2006
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: Eric Bischoff has a lot of justifications for what he did specifically and what WCW did in general. He also seems to often see things only through his own eyes at the expense of any other possible viewpoint or path. However, I believe that he's honest to the extent that he believes his own version of the truth.I think

I think I've heard all of Bischoff's "83 Weeks" podcasts so far.  If I had to sum up his tenure in charge of WCW, I'd say he was doing alright until he got to the point where Thunder was added, and at that point he became completely overwhelmed (at least that is what he thinks).  It sounds like at that point he began to "ok" all kinds of things simply because he was spent and didn't have the capacity to say no, even on things that weren't a good idea.
One thing Vince always has in his corner is full control.  Eric simply couldn't say no, and WCW over-saturated the market with their stuff.  Too much time to fill = lots of bad programming.



Last edited on Fri Oct 19th, 2018 09:53 pm by Boz1515

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2018 10:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52725
Status: 
Offline
Boz1515 wrote: tamalie wrote: Eric Bischoff has a lot of justifications for what he did specifically and what WCW did in general. He also seems to often see things only through his own eyes at the expense of any other possible viewpoint or path. However, I believe that he's honest to the extent that he believes his own version of the truth.I think

I think I've heard all of Bischoff's "83 Weeks" podcasts so far.  If I had to sum up his tenure in charge of WCW, I'd say he was doing alright until he got to the point where Thunder was added, and at that point he became completely overwhelmed (at least that is what he thinks).  It sounds like at that point he began to "ok" all kinds of things simply because he was spent and didn't have the capacity to say no, even on things that weren't a good idea.
One thing Vince always has in his corner is full control.  Eric simply couldn't say no, and WCW over-saturated the market with their stuff.  Too much time to fill = lots of bad programming.

Vince also had supreme authority. Bischoff not only had to report to a rotating cast of Turner exes but also had to deal with all the wrestlers who had creative control in their contracts. There’s no way anyone can succeed long-term in that environment. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 01:17 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > 83 Weeks Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems