WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > 34 Years Ago Today - WrestleMania 3

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
34 Years Ago Today - WrestleMania 3  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Mar 31st, 2021 04:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Blazer
Head Auditor, CPA


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7808
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
Right, Andre wasn't going to kill Hogan, but he was capable of not cooperating at that point. Andre however had no reason not to cooperate. This wasn't Brody or Maeda we're talking about. Generally, Andre had a good reputation and was easy to work with, at least for the promoters.

Going back to Hogan, look at the feud with Savage. Hogan was pawing all over Liz dating back to SummerSlam, clearly trying to make Macho look like a cuck. Hogan leaves the match during the Main Event to carry Liz back to the lockerroom and pray over her fallen body while the EMTs are nowhere around, leaving Savage to get pummeled by Akeem and Bossman? That might be the most egregiously heel move ever. Dude was basically a dick from mid'86 on.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 31st, 2021 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
cookie32723



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3246
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: Right, Andre wasn't going to kill Hogan, but he was capable of not cooperating at that point. Andre however had no reason not to cooperate. This wasn't Brody or Maeda we're talking about. Generally, Andre had a good reputation and was easy to work with, at least for the promoters.

Going back to Hogan, look at the feud with Savage. Hogan was pawing all over Liz dating back to SummerSlam, clearly trying to make Macho look like a cuck. Hogan leaves the match during the Main Event to carry Liz back to the lockerroom and pray over her fallen body while the EMTs are nowhere around, leaving Savage to get pummeled by Akeem and Bossman? That might be the most egregiously heel move ever. Dude was basically a dick from mid'86 on.

All that, and he dumped Savage out of the Rumble a few weeks before the Main Event, as well as putting Liz on his shoulder after Survivor Series where Macho glared at him since that was his move after a win. 



____________________
If data, science, and logic offends someone, then they probably need to be offended.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 31st, 2021 04:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4833
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The best part of those nuances like the Savage glare is that they weren't discussed at the time; they most definitely were shot in a surreptitious way to capture the imagery for storytelling in review once they exploded the Megapowers.

Hogan would have been positioned as the heel turning against Andre if the alleged AWA revisionist story would have actually occurred. A "breakup" after a battle royal, then one (supposed) CBS special following a one month build on AWA syndicated TV and some house shows around the horn, and remembered about as much as their feud in Alabama was afterward.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 31st, 2021 10:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
the squared circle



Joined: Thu Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8162
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
I always cheered the heels, and also wanted Orndorff to beat Hogan. I entered Exhibition Stadium rooting for Orndorff but I seriously got swept up in Hulkamania that night as people were just going nuts for him. Exited the stadium a Hulkamaniac. Then very shortly afterward started cheering all the heels again.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 31st, 2021 10:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
the squared circle



Joined: Thu Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8162
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
Also, today is the anniversary of Wrestlemania I -- my second fave WM, next to III.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2021 05:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10598
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: How long was the build from Andre tearing off Hogan's cross until Mania III?
I'm going by memory on this, but the whole thing played out over five weeks in January of '87.  

Jan 3 was the Year-In-Review recap show for '86.

The first week on Piper's Pit, they gave Hogan a big-ass trophy to celebrate being champ for three years.  Andre came out, kind of unexpectedly, and Hogan gave a bit of a scared look, overplayed it, and Andre said, "three years to be a champion is a LONG time." And then he left, and Piper's like, "OK, that was weird."  Jesse kinda played it up on commentary for the rest of the show, if I recall, talking about Hogan getting a trophy for three years, but Andre got jack shit for 15 years of being undefeated. (Jan 10?)

Next week, Piper's Pit again, they give Andre a trophy for being undefeated for 15 years.  This is obviously done as a "makeup" type of move.  Problem is, the trophy is smaller and looks like shit.  Then Hogan comes out acting like a lunatic, congratulating Andre, but really just came out to hog the spotlight for himself.  Andre says "fuck this shit", and walks out, leaving the trophy there, and Hogan doesn't even realize Andre left.  For the rest of the show, Jesse talks about how they embarrassed Andre. (Jan 17?)

Week 3, Piper's Pit has Jesse Ventura as a guest.  They basically run down what happened over the past two weeks.  Jesse takes the side of Andre, saying, you know, Hogan's acting like an asshole and these guys need to talk.  Jesse says he'll produce Andre next week and asks Piper if he can produce Hogan.  Piper's famous reply, "YOU DAMMMN BETCHA". (Jan 24?)

Week 4, Hogan is on the Pit with Piper.  Andre comes out with Jesse and Bobby Heenan.  Hogan's like "WTF is Heenan doing here?".  Andre tells him he's he for one reason,"to challenge you to world championship match at WM3."  Hogan can't believe what's happening, Heenan says maybe you'll believe this! Cross ripped off, Hogan bleeds. (Jan 31?)

Week 5:  Piper's Pit.  Will Hogan accept the challenge of Andre?  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.  I think this is the same episode that the Bulldogs lost the belts to the Hart Foundation too.  (Feb 7?)



Then they pumped it up from Feb. until the end of March.  That's one of the things lost in the monthly PPV era.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2021 05:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Blazer
Head Auditor, CPA


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7808
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
The Ultimate Sin wrote: Blazer wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: How long was the build from Andre tearing off Hogan's cross until Mania III?
I'm going by memory on this, but the whole thing played out over five weeks in January of '87.  

Jan 3 was the Year-In-Review recap show for '86.

The first week on Piper's Pit, they gave Hogan a big-ass trophy to celebrate being champ for three years.  Andre came out, kind of unexpectedly, and Hogan gave a bit of a scared look, overplayed it, and Andre said, "three years to be a champion is a LONG time." And then he left, and Piper's like, "OK, that was weird."  Jesse kinda played it up on commentary for the rest of the show, if I recall, talking about Hogan getting a trophy for three years, but Andre got jack shit for 15 years of being undefeated. (Jan 10?)

Next week, Piper's Pit again, they give Andre a trophy for being undefeated for 15 years.  This is obviously done as a "makeup" type of move.  Problem is, the trophy is smaller and looks like shit.  Then Hogan comes out acting like a lunatic, congratulating Andre, but really just came out to hog the spotlight for himself.  Andre says "fuck this shit", and walks out, leaving the trophy there, and Hogan doesn't even realize Andre left.  For the rest of the show, Jesse talks about how they embarrassed Andre. (Jan 17?)

Week 3, Piper's Pit has Jesse Ventura as a guest.  They basically run down what happened over the past two weeks.  Jesse takes the side of Andre, saying, you know, Hogan's acting like an asshole and these guys need to talk.  Jesse says he'll produce Andre next week and asks Piper if he can produce Hogan.  Piper's famous reply, "YOU DAMMMN BETCHA". (Jan 24?)

Week 4, Hogan is on the Pit with Piper.  Andre comes out with Jesse and Bobby Heenan.  Hogan's like "WTF is Heenan doing here?".  Andre tells him he's he for one reason,"to challenge you to world championship match at WM3."  Hogan can't believe what's happening, Heenan says maybe you'll believe this! Cross ripped off, Hogan bleeds. (Jan 31?)

Week 5:  Piper's Pit.  Will Hogan accept the challenge of Andre?  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.  I think this is the same episode that the Bulldogs lost the belts to the Hart Foundation too.  (Feb 7?)



Then they pumped it up from Feb. until the end of March.  That's one of the things lost in the monthly PPV era.

I was watching the late April 1990 SNME last week.  Keep in mind, this was four months away from Summerslam, and they were already beginning to pimp Hogan vs. Earthquake and Warrior vs. Rude.  Their long-range plans and attention to detail back then was pretty amazing.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2021 06:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
srossi
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 55650
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: Blazer wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: How long was the build from Andre tearing off Hogan's cross until Mania III?
I'm going by memory on this, but the whole thing played out over five weeks in January of '87.  

Jan 3 was the Year-In-Review recap show for '86.

The first week on Piper's Pit, they gave Hogan a big-ass trophy to celebrate being champ for three years.  Andre came out, kind of unexpectedly, and Hogan gave a bit of a scared look, overplayed it, and Andre said, "three years to be a champion is a LONG time." And then he left, and Piper's like, "OK, that was weird."  Jesse kinda played it up on commentary for the rest of the show, if I recall, talking about Hogan getting a trophy for three years, but Andre got jack shit for 15 years of being undefeated. (Jan 10?)

Next week, Piper's Pit again, they give Andre a trophy for being undefeated for 15 years.  This is obviously done as a "makeup" type of move.  Problem is, the trophy is smaller and looks like shit.  Then Hogan comes out acting like a lunatic, congratulating Andre, but really just came out to hog the spotlight for himself.  Andre says "fuck this shit", and walks out, leaving the trophy there, and Hogan doesn't even realize Andre left.  For the rest of the show, Jesse talks about how they embarrassed Andre. (Jan 17?)

Week 3, Piper's Pit has Jesse Ventura as a guest.  They basically run down what happened over the past two weeks.  Jesse takes the side of Andre, saying, you know, Hogan's acting like an asshole and these guys need to talk.  Jesse says he'll produce Andre next week and asks Piper if he can produce Hogan.  Piper's famous reply, "YOU DAMMMN BETCHA". (Jan 24?)

Week 4, Hogan is on the Pit with Piper.  Andre comes out with Jesse and Bobby Heenan.  Hogan's like "WTF is Heenan doing here?".  Andre tells him he's he for one reason,"to challenge you to world championship match at WM3."  Hogan can't believe what's happening, Heenan says maybe you'll believe this! Cross ripped off, Hogan bleeds. (Jan 31?)

Week 5:  Piper's Pit.  Will Hogan accept the challenge of Andre?  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.  I think this is the same episode that the Bulldogs lost the belts to the Hart Foundation too.  (Feb 7?)



Then they pumped it up from Feb. until the end of March.  That's one of the things lost in the monthly PPV era.

I was watching the late April 1990 SNME last week.  Keep in mind, this was four months away from Summerslam, and they were already beginning to pimp Hogan vs. Earthquake and Warrior vs. Rude.  Their long-range plans and attention to detail back then was pretty amazing.

It honestly wasn’t that difficult when you only had 2 hours of syndicated shows per week filled with squash matches. The only thing you had to do was plan out the month’s house shows and book SNME to start a couple of angles leading into a quarterly PPV. You were always just booking backwards towards 4 big shows a year, and in between trying to keep the gates strong. You almost never had to think about TV at all. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2021 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Blazer
Head Auditor, CPA


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7808
Status: 
Online
Mana: 
I agree that is was easier in the sense that they didn't need to layout interviews, twists, turns, and filler for a three-hour Raw, two-hour Smackdown, and whatever else they do now. Back then, you're correct, they just had to know the matches for the next PPV and work backwards to set up the Brother Love segments and the little inset interviews during squash matches. The biggest exercise was probably Vince/Jesse and Gorilla/Heenan moving the storylines slowly down the path on the syndicated commentary.


I guess what I meant was, they filmed this April '90 SNME about three weeks after WM6. Even then, they knew Earthquake was going to face Hogan at Summerslam, and Rude would face Warrior. Rude was cooled off completely at that point (beat Snuka at Mania, and Earthquake was just starting out...wasn't even wearing the gimmick singlet yet). That's how confident they were in their plans. Which means they probably made these decisions right after Mania or even knew before.


I wonder if they even have a clue right now what the top two matches at Summerslam 2021 will be?



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2021 07:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
srossi
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 55650
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: I wonder if they even have a clue right now what the top two matches at Summerslam 2021 will be?
Well we all know the answer to that. They don’t even know what will be on Smackdown tomorrow night, and they already taped that show. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Apr 2nd, 2021 03:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
sportatorium roach



Joined: Tue Oct 16th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1121
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Andre wins his Survivor Series '87 match, and Hogan runs out and hits him with the belt.

I was nine going on 10 for WrestleMania 3, and have fond memories of the buildup. My parents didn't have cable, so the first time I saw the event was when my dad surprised me by renting the tape. It's still one of my favorite events of all time.

Last edited on Fri Apr 2nd, 2021 03:21 am by sportatorium roach

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Apr 2nd, 2021 01:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18830
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Blazer wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: How long was the build from Andre tearing off Hogan's cross until Mania III?
I'm going by memory on this, but the whole thing played out over five weeks in January of '87.  

Jan 3 was the Year-In-Review recap show for '86.

The first week on Piper's Pit, they gave Hogan a big-ass trophy to celebrate being champ for three years.  Andre came out, kind of unexpectedly, and Hogan gave a bit of a scared look, overplayed it, and Andre said, "three years to be a champion is a LONG time." And then he left, and Piper's like, "OK, that was weird."  Jesse kinda played it up on commentary for the rest of the show, if I recall, talking about Hogan getting a trophy for three years, but Andre got jack shit for 15 years of being undefeated. (Jan 10?)

Next week, Piper's Pit again, they give Andre a trophy for being undefeated for 15 years.  This is obviously done as a "makeup" type of move.  Problem is, the trophy is smaller and looks like shit.  Then Hogan comes out acting like a lunatic, congratulating Andre, but really just came out to hog the spotlight for himself.  Andre says "fuck this shit", and walks out, leaving the trophy there, and Hogan doesn't even realize Andre left.  For the rest of the show, Jesse talks about how they embarrassed Andre. (Jan 17?)

Week 3, Piper's Pit has Jesse Ventura as a guest.  They basically run down what happened over the past two weeks.  Jesse takes the side of Andre, saying, you know, Hogan's acting like an asshole and these guys need to talk.  Jesse says he'll produce Andre next week and asks Piper if he can produce Hogan.  Piper's famous reply, "YOU DAMMMN BETCHA". (Jan 24?)

Week 4, Hogan is on the Pit with Piper.  Andre comes out with Jesse and Bobby Heenan.  Hogan's like "WTF is Heenan doing here?".  Andre tells him he's he for one reason,"to challenge you to world championship match at WM3."  Hogan can't believe what's happening, Heenan says maybe you'll believe this! Cross ripped off, Hogan bleeds. (Jan 31?)

Week 5:  Piper's Pit.  Will Hogan accept the challenge of Andre?  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.  I think this is the same episode that the Bulldogs lost the belts to the Hart Foundation too.  (Feb 7?)



If you watched Pro Wrestling this week They spoiled the whole build up as they said Andre challenged Hogan to a Match that Hogan said yes to weeks before it aired on TV 



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated September 2 2018)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016 REBORN 2021
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 03:42 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > 34 Years Ago Today - WrestleMania 3 Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems