WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Video Vault > Four Horsemen debut promo

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Four Horsemen debut promo  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 25th, 2018 05:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4355
Status: 
Offline
In this video age, someone should be able to produce this clip, but it has escaped my viewing efforts.  You videotape junkies should consider this a personal challenge to post it here.  Just the famed promo, not hidden within some 2 hour block of the show.  

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jan 25th, 2018 07:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 972
Status: 
Offline
Hear, hear. We've heard it described by the participants but I've never seen it.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jan 25th, 2018 11:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 46289
Status: 
Offline
It would be interesting to see, but IIRC they were just short on time so instead of having separate promos they just pulled them in together to say a few words each about the guy they happened to be feuding with at the time. I do believe Arn might have said they were like "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" during that initial interview, but I'm not sure. I don't think anything else of note happened, as it was never planned for them to stick as a real group. But anyone who collects 1986 TV should have it since we all pretty much know exactly when it was taped. Strange that I can't remember ever seeing it.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 5229
Status: 
Offline
I’ve been watching 1986 Saturday Night episodes.  It seemed like the group was established just before the new year, but it is fuzzy. I’ll have to go back and watch.  Dillon takes over as Tully’s manager and Ole gets hurt around January, so it was a dynamic time.  The interview in question may have occurred in late 1985.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Superstar
2018 Poster of the Year


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Isle Of, Malta
Posts: 4676
Status: 
Offline
Don't think the actual original promo has ever surfaced. They did somewhat of a "retake" of it on TBS or World Wide, but I sort of remember it being on TBS. And I thought it was Flair as World Champ, Tully as National Champ, and Ole and Arn as National Tag Champs. I may be fuzzy but Arn was wearing a Yankees hat when he said it if I remember. He mentioned the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. And it happened way before Ole got hurt, it happened right after Buddy Landell flaked out and Dusty beat him for the National Title in a phantom change while Buddy was unconscious in his hotel room not far from TBS studios. Tully beat Dusty, because JJ took over Tully when Buddy was gone because JJ had nothing to do. Then he began "advising" Flair and the Andersons before becoming their manager. I'm thinking September 1985 is when it all went down as the Horsemen.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 46289
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: Don't think the actual original promo has ever surfaced. They did somewhat of a "retake" of it on TBS or World Wide, but I sort of remember it being on TBS. And I thought it was Flair as World Champ, Tully as National Champ, and Ole and Arn as National Tag Champs. I may be fuzzy but Arn was wearing a Yankees hat when he said it if I remember. He mentioned the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. And it happened way before Ole got hurt, it happened right after Buddy Landell flaked out and Dusty beat him for the National Title in a phantom change while Buddy was unconscious in his hotel room not far from TBS studios. Tully beat Dusty, because JJ took over Tully when Buddy was gone because JJ had nothing to do. Then he began "advising" Flair and the Andersons before becoming their manager. I'm thinking September 1985 is when it all went down as the Horsemen.
This all sounds very familiar to me except I'm not sure of the time frame (I had always heard the actual promo in question was early '86 even though the guys were associating before that, but that was why they were sent out together anyway, because it already made sense from a storyline perspective).  But I've seen pics of Arn wearing that Yankees cap while standing with those guys and I remember the champions being as Superstar says.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 02:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 5229
Status: 
Offline
Tamale- You’re a little too early on your timeline.  Remember that Buddy won the National title at Starrcade 85.  The Dillon switch happened in late December when he sent Baby Doll tickets for a Caribbean vacation.  This all went down in late December 1985.  I’ll check some of my discs tonight.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 07:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Superstar
2018 Poster of the Year


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Isle Of, Malta
Posts: 4676
Status: 
Offline
Late November/Early December 1985 (will get date tomorrow), TBS has the “Championship Challenge Series”.  Ole/Arn/Tully wrestle against Magnum/Billy Jack Haynes/Some Dude I don’t remember.  Possibly the earliest instance of that combo on TBS in a match.  Not too many months before this, Flair was badmouthing Tully on TV because he was still playing the traveling Champion role and calling out everyone on TBS from Dusty to Harley to Kerry to Bob Armstrong, etc.  I will provide a better date tomorrow
12/21/85 - JJ with Buddy Landel, the National Champion. Flair comes out and congrats Jim Crockett for being a great promoter, but says it’s too bad he couldn’t find an opponent man enough to wrestle him on TV...right in front of Ron Garvin. Ronnie challenges him for the title next week, Flair accepts. There is not a Horsemen reference on this episode.

12/28/85 - I did not watch this tonight, because I thought that the Flair/Garvin match would dominate the program...will check it tomorrow.

1/4/86 - Ole announced as injured on TBS Saturday Night, Dusty broke his leg. Baby Doll with Dusty after Tully slapped her - she was missing and said JJ gave her a ticket to Acapulco for Christmas from Tully; JJ denies it. Tully calls JJ his advisor, and says that when Dusty fights, he’s always got Magnum, Valiant, and Ragin’ Bull backing him up, so to even the odds he would always have the Four Horsemen behind him. First instance in the span I watched that mentioned Horsemen.

Last edited on Fri Jan 26th, 2018 07:36 am by Superstar



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 09:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 12797
Status: 
Offline
I probably got this wrong but I thought the interview started with Flair saying he hangs around elite people like Tully (national champ) ,Andersons (tag Champs ) and new Tv champ (arn). They come out as Flair say their name. Late 85?

Last edited on Fri Jan 26th, 2018 10:02 am by Benlen



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 09:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 12797
Status: 
Offline
I thought Ole said some about how a few guys havent wreck so much havoc  since the 4 horseman of the apocalypse.  Something like that.

Last edited on Fri Jan 26th, 2018 10:05 am by Benlen



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 06:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 46289
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: Not too many months before this, Flair was badmouthing Tully on TV because he was still playing the traveling Champion role and calling out everyone on TBS from Dusty to Harley to Kerry to Bob Armstrong, etc.  


I always thought they missed a golden opportunity to do a Flair-Tully program.  That would've been amazing.  I know they just never had the time to do it though, I think of that Horsemen lineup (with either Ole or Luger) as lasting a long time, but in reality it didn't.  Arn and Tully were gone to the WWF within about 2 years, and then Tully's career was essentially over.  It's really a shame how quickly Tully faded.  But if they had all stayed together, Tully eventually getting kicked out of the Horsemen and challenging Flair could've been bigger than the similar angle with Flair and Sting.   

Last edited on Fri Jan 26th, 2018 06:31 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Superstar
2018 Poster of the Year


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Isle Of, Malta
Posts: 4676
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Superstar wrote: Not too many months before this, Flair was badmouthing Tully on TV because he was still playing the traveling Champion role and calling out everyone on TBS from Dusty to Harley to Kerry to Bob Armstrong, etc.  


I always thought they missed a golden opportunity to do a Flair-Tully program.  That would've been amazing.  I know they just never had the time to do it though, I think of that Horsemen lineup (with either Ole or Luger) as lasting a long time, but in reality it didn't.  Arn and Tully were gone to the WWF within about 2 years, and then Tully's career was essentially over.  It's really a shame how quickly Tully faded.  But if they had all stayed together, Tully eventually getting kicked out of the Horsemen and challenging Flair could've been bigger than the similar angle with Flair and Sting.   

You couldn't be more correct with this statement, I've always felt that they blew it on this one.  I don't even care if Tully was the face or the heel, the program with Flair would have printed money.  Even in say 1993 when Flair came back and was trying to rebuild the Horsemen, if the NWA gave Tully a fair contract instead of the per night deal they offered him, it would have maybe breathed some life into them in the year before Hogan showed up.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 07:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 46289
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: srossi wrote: Superstar wrote: Not too many months before this, Flair was badmouthing Tully on TV because he was still playing the traveling Champion role and calling out everyone on TBS from Dusty to Harley to Kerry to Bob Armstrong, etc.  


I always thought they missed a golden opportunity to do a Flair-Tully program.  That would've been amazing.  I know they just never had the time to do it though, I think of that Horsemen lineup (with either Ole or Luger) as lasting a long time, but in reality it didn't.  Arn and Tully were gone to the WWF within about 2 years, and then Tully's career was essentially over.  It's really a shame how quickly Tully faded.  But if they had all stayed together, Tully eventually getting kicked out of the Horsemen and challenging Flair could've been bigger than the similar angle with Flair and Sting.   

You couldn't be more correct with this statement, I've always felt that they blew it on this one.  I don't even care if Tully was the face or the heel, the program with Flair would have printed money.  Even in say 1993 when Flair came back and was trying to rebuild the Horsemen, if the NWA gave Tully a fair contract instead of the per night deal they offered him, it would have maybe breathed some life into them in the year before Hogan showed up.

The way Tully was treated after Vince screwed him with that drug test has always baffled me.  I suppose not many guys actually failed tests back then even though everyone was doing it, but so what?  I never understood why NWA/WCW was so cold to him.  I get that maybe they couldn't bring him right back with Arn as originally planned, but within a year there was absolutely no reason not to do it.  And God knows WCW desperately needed an energy injection.  The low ball offers show they were willing to work with him but just didn't want to pay him, as if they expected a failed drug test discount.  He wrestled that one time as a "legend" at Slamboree when he was only 40 and still had plenty of time left.  It's really bizarre.  Watching Tully struggling with sporadic shots in the AWA and early ECW when he could've still been tearing it up in WCW was very sad.  And obviously it affected him and became a self-fulfilling prophesy because his quality of work and cardio did suffer since he really had no reason to bust his ass anymore. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jan 27th, 2018 12:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 3959
Status: 
Offline
Tully was known in his 1980s heyday as a total asshole, even by pro wrestling standards. I think him getting a bad deal from the WWF with that drug test on the way out could be attributable to that. Maybe someone was looking for a receipt to get him out of the WWF early and cost him a PPV payoff since he and Arn had given notice but planned to work through Survivor Series. It might not have been understood how badly it would mess things up for him in WCW. Just a thought.

If someone was going to get the boot from the Horsemen to set up a Flair vs. Tully feud, I think Flair would have been the better bet. Many fans loved him anyway. Tully was far better suited to staying a heel. Arn siding with Tully circa 1988 had the two not left or in 1989 or the early 1990s would have worked since he didn't really become joined at the hip with Flair until about 1990 by which point Tully was gone.

Regarding the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse comment, I have understood in recent years that the reason no one can find any footage is because no one ever made such a remark. It's all an urban legend, something that got started on the early days of pro wrestling message boards, with the poster probably sincerely remembering it happening that way even if it didn't, and then taking on a life as something factual.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jan 27th, 2018 12:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 46289
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: Regarding the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse comment, I have understood in recent years that the reason no one can find any footage is because no one ever made such a remark. It's all an urban legend, something that got started on the early days of pro wrestling message boards, with the poster probably sincerely remembering it happening that way even if it didn't, and then taking on a life as something factual.
Mandela Effect, for those that just watched the X-Files.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 06:52 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Video Vault > Four Horsemen debut promo Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems