WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
20 years ago today  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jun 28th, 2018 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 16780
Status: 
Offline



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated December 10 2017)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jun 29th, 2018 04:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1602
Status: 
Offline
cant respect any wrestler that would risk their life like this.....some people consider him a legend because of this but I think the opposite....

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jun 29th, 2018 01:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Blazer
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 5088
Status: 
Online
History does put a new perspective on this and the entire ECW hardcore movement, right?  At the time, the old WWF “way” was considered boring and lazy.  These guys were now putting it on the line to entertain their fans! He’s hardcore!  He’s hardcore!
20 years later, if they’re even still alive, they’re popping pills or suffering from brain damage. 



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jun 29th, 2018 01:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6249
Status: 
Offline
Yesterday, an article about this popped up on my wife's Flipboard and she mentioned it to me. She might have watched 2 wrestling matches on TV in her entire life. So, that is definitely a transcended moment.

I agree with the negatives on it now, looking back and seeing what has happened since then. I would also say it has led to a generation of wrestlers who cannot work a long story and caused the fans to have an almost zero attention span. In the end, it didn't do wrestling any good and certainly hasn't helped the majority of wrestlers.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jun 29th, 2018 01:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 45675
Status: 
Offline
Ultimark wrote: Yesterday, an article about this popped up on my wife's Flipboard and she mentioned it to me. She might have watched 2 wrestling matches on TV in her entire life. So, that is definitely a transcended moment.

There's a Facebook group called "Throwback Lounge" that obviously isn't about wrestling but posts about nostalgia, and they posted the clip too.  Which led to the usual hilarity that happens on Facebook when people who know nothing about wrestling try to explain how something that we know is real is in actuality fake and completely safe, and then the wrestling fans jump in and start arguing and people's mothers and children are insulted.  My favorite was the dude who said that the camera angle made the cage look higher than it really was and it was only a few feet off the ground and he jumps that every day.

Last edited on Fri Jun 29th, 2018 01:51 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jun 29th, 2018 04:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6249
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Ultimark wrote: Yesterday, an article about this popped up on my wife's Flipboard and she mentioned it to me. She might have watched 2 wrestling matches on TV in her entire life. So, that is definitely a transcended moment.

There's a Facebook group called "Throwback Lounge" that obviously isn't about wrestling but posts about nostalgia, and they posted the clip too.  Which led to the usual hilarity that happens on Facebook when people who know nothing about wrestling try to explain how something that we know is real is in actuality fake and completely safe, and then the wrestling fans jump in and start arguing and people's mothers and children are insulted.  My favorite was the dude who said that the camera angle made the cage look higher than it really was and it was only a few feet off the ground and he jumps that every day.
There are always assholes who don't understand the difference between choreographed and fake.  

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jun 29th, 2018 05:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 45675
Status: 
Offline
Ultimark wrote: srossi wrote: Ultimark wrote: Yesterday, an article about this popped up on my wife's Flipboard and she mentioned it to me. She might have watched 2 wrestling matches on TV in her entire life. So, that is definitely a transcended moment.

There's a Facebook group called "Throwback Lounge" that obviously isn't about wrestling but posts about nostalgia, and they posted the clip too.  Which led to the usual hilarity that happens on Facebook when people who know nothing about wrestling try to explain how something that we know is real is in actuality fake and completely safe, and then the wrestling fans jump in and start arguing and people's mothers and children are insulted.  My favorite was the dude who said that the camera angle made the cage look higher than it really was and it was only a few feet off the ground and he jumps that every day.
There are always assholes who don't understand the difference between choreographed and fake.  

Not to mention not understanding the laws of physics.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jun 29th, 2018 05:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Blazer
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 5088
Status: 
Online
Looking back on it, Foley could have been easily killed on the first fall through the announcers table, but my god think about what happened unintentionally less than a year later with Owen. Kinda sickening and sad, and certainly something you have to think twice about before celebrating it’s anniversary or waxing fondly about it.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jun 30th, 2018 05:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1602
Status: 
Offline
He could have died. and what are you risking your life for really? the storyline is not real, the outcome of the match is not real. its all make believe. and the audience knows this!!  the only thing that is real are the injuries. the defenders says oh he risked his life to entertain the fans!!! but you dont need to do that to entertain the fans. just put on a exciting match.lol Ugh. and didnt he have a kid? that makes it even worse.

Last edited on Sat Jun 30th, 2018 05:46 pm by Spatulapup

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jun 30th, 2018 07:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 45675
Status: 
Offline
Spatulapup wrote: He could have died. and what are you risking your life for really? the storyline is not real, the outcome of the match is not real. its all make believe. and the audience knows this!!  the only thing that is real are the injuries. the defenders says oh he risked his life to entertain the fans!!! but you dont need to do that to entertain the fans. just put on a exciting match.lol Ugh. and didnt he have a kid? that makes it even worse.
Even though he didn’t know it at the time, that match probably made him millions. Most of the things that happened after that was due to those 2 bumps. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jun 30th, 2018 08:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 16780
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Spatulapup wrote: He could have died. and what are you risking your life for really? the storyline is not real, the outcome of the match is not real. its all make believe. and the audience knows this!!  the only thing that is real are the injuries. the defenders says oh he risked his life to entertain the fans!!! but you dont need to do that to entertain the fans. just put on a exciting match.lol Ugh. and didnt he have a kid? that makes it even worse.
Even though he didn’t know it at the time, that match probably made him millions. Most of the things that happened after that was due to those 2 bumps. 

I think without this match he does not become WWF Champ 6 months later 



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated December 10 2017)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2018 12:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 896
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Spatulapup wrote: He could have died. and what are you risking your life for really? the storyline is not real, the outcome of the match is not real. its all make believe. and the audience knows this!!  the only thing that is real are the injuries. the defenders says oh he risked his life to entertain the fans!!! but you dont need to do that to entertain the fans. just put on a exciting match.lol Ugh. and didnt he have a kid? that makes it even worse.
Even though he didn’t know it at the time, that match probably made him millions. Most of the things that happened after that was due to those 2 bumps. 

Beat me to it.  Even at the time I had serious reservations about why those bumps were necessary.  But if you're Mick Foley, you made a ton of money off this.  You could even make the case that the world titles begat the books, which is another chunk of change in his pocket.  The whole wrestling book phenomenon was greatly helped by the massive success of Have A Nice Day, it wasn't like Foley jumped on the bandwagon, he set the bandwagon in motion.
 
BTW, cane Dewey.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2018 02:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 45675
Status: 
Offline
KGB wrote: srossi wrote: Spatulapup wrote: He could have died. and what are you risking your life for really? the storyline is not real, the outcome of the match is not real. its all make believe. and the audience knows this!!  the only thing that is real are the injuries. the defenders says oh he risked his life to entertain the fans!!! but you dont need to do that to entertain the fans. just put on a exciting match.lol Ugh. and didnt he have a kid? that makes it even worse.
Even though he didn’t know it at the time, that match probably made him millions. Most of the things that happened after that was due to those 2 bumps. 

Beat me to it.  Even at the time I had serious reservations about why those bumps were necessary.  But if you're Mick Foley, you made a ton of money off this.  You could even make the case that the world titles begat the books, which is another chunk of change in his pocket.  The whole wrestling book phenomenon was greatly helped by the massive success of Have A Nice Day, it wasn't like Foley jumped on the bandwagon, he set the bandwagon in motion.
 
BTW, cane Dewey.

This is definitely what I was thinking of.  The books don't get written without those bumps, I'm sure of it.  Foley never becomes champ without them.  He's just a mid-carder who did crazy things in Japan and ECW and made it to WWE, which in itself would've been seen as an accomplishment and more than he could've expected.  Foley often talks about how he himself felt like he was on a treadmill or on the way out in WWE at the time of that HITC match.  He had no momentum, wasn't getting pushed, and the Mankind gimmick was silly and was being seen as killing his career by the smarks that wanted Cactus Jack.  Just getting a PPV match with Undertaker was a big deal and he made the most of it and damn near killed himself in the processs.  But I think almost any wrestler would in retrospect knowing what was ahead.  Hell, in CZW they do worse and unless they're delusional they know nothing will ever come of it.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2018 02:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 16780
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: KGB wrote: srossi wrote: Spatulapup wrote: He could have died. and what are you risking your life for really? the storyline is not real, the outcome of the match is not real. its all make believe. and the audience knows this!!  the only thing that is real are the injuries. the defenders says oh he risked his life to entertain the fans!!! but you dont need to do that to entertain the fans. just put on a exciting match.lol Ugh. and didnt he have a kid? that makes it even worse.
Even though he didn’t know it at the time, that match probably made him millions. Most of the things that happened after that was due to those 2 bumps. 

Beat me to it.  Even at the time I had serious reservations about why those bumps were necessary.  But if you're Mick Foley, you made a ton of money off this.  You could even make the case that the world titles begat the books, which is another chunk of change in his pocket.  The whole wrestling book phenomenon was greatly helped by the massive success of Have A Nice Day, it wasn't like Foley jumped on the bandwagon, he set the bandwagon in motion.
 
BTW, cane Dewey.

This is definitely what I was thinking of.  The books don't get written without those bumps, I'm sure of it.  Foley never becomes champ without them.  He's just a mid-carder who did crazy things in Japan and ECW and made it to WWE, which in itself would've been seen as an accomplishment and more than he could've expected.  Foley often talks about how he himself felt like he was on a treadmill or on the way out in WWE at the time of that HITC match.  He had no momentum, wasn't getting pushed, and the Mankind gimmick was silly and was being seen as killing his career by the smarks that wanted Cactus Jack.  Just getting a PPV match with Undertaker was a big deal and he made the most of it and damn near killed himself in the processs.  But I think almost any wrestler would in retrospect knowing what was ahead.  Hell, in CZW they do worse and unless they're delusional they know nothing will ever come of it.

I say he was getting a push  as one of the Top heels at the time since turning after Mania. He had two great PPV matches with Austin for the title as Dude Love before becoming Mankind again. 



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated December 10 2017)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 11:27 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Video Vault > 20 years ago today Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems