WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Video Vault > RATE THIS CLASSIC -- THE IRON SHEIK DEFEATS BOB BACKLUND WWF TITLE

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
RATE THIS CLASSIC -- THE IRON SHEIK DEFEATS BOB BACKLUND WWF TITLE  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2019 01:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41668
Status: 
Offline

A shocker. Tell me about it, the match, the ending, the historical ramifications, etc+

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2019 01:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 1207
Status: 
Offline
In hindsight, with 1984 just days away, it seems like this should have been a given and not at all shocking, but the sea change that hit the WWF that year really wasn't much in effect.  For me, the two standout events of the previous 6 months were the televised tag title switch to Johnson/Atlas, and the Snuka cage match at MSG, both of which were matches/angles that wouldn't seem out of place at any other time during the Backlund era.  It wasn't obvious that things were about to get turned on their head.  Hogan, Piper, Okerlund, Orndorff, Ventura, none of them were on the scene.  So the title change was pretty damn surprising to me, especially that it was Sheik.  Backlund's two main adversaries for much of that year -- Slaughter and Masked Superstar -- seemed so much better suited for a title victory, even if they had to be transitional champs. 



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2019 05:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1954
Status: 
Offline
it was a huge shock. he had been champ for so long. But it was time. Backlund wasnt fun to watch anymore. his look at the time didnt help at all. i never noticed before but you can see backlund getting into position for the camel clutch. lol

Last edited on Mon Sep 30th, 2019 05:32 pm by Spatulapup

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2019 06:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Erick Von Erich

 

Joined: Thu Mar 26th, 2015
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 570
Status: 
Offline
Going into this event, Iron Sheik seemed like just another "opponent of the month" for Backlund and that the WWF would re-run the same ol' formula. Like the previously mentioned Masked Superstar, Slaughter, and even Buddy Rose.

What's interesting is that, at the end of the show, the commentators talked about how Backlund would be getting a re-match, next month. Obviously, that didn't happen. Hogan was still a few weeks away from signing, right?



____________________
http://www.dawrestlingsite.com
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2019 06:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1954
Status: 
Offline
I think Hogan had signed with them in November or early December.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Superstar
Reigning Defending POTY


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico USA
Posts: 5734
Status: 
Offline
Spatulapup wrote: I think Hogan had signed with them in November or early December.Not sure how true what I'm about to say about what the timing is for signing Hogan since nobody seems to know for sure, but what I remember reading at one point was that Hogan signed with WWF after he had allegedly committed to appear at Starrcade '83, and Vince told him that he wasn't going to show up at that card.  Supposedly Hogan also informed Verne the night of when he was supposed to be returning from Japan to wrestle for AWA at one of their bigger "end of the year" cards that he wasn't coming and that he wasn't ever coming back.  He was willing to do business the right way but Vince gave him more money to just not show up - I read something like he doubled Hogan's expected payday for the half dozen events and told him to stay home.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 04:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4464
Status: 
Offline
The camel clutch used by the Iron Sheik in this match was the most convincing looking version he may have ever used due to how Bob Backlund positioned himself in the hold.

Freddie Blassie remained at ringside. For a long time the managers at MSG were introduced, but then retreated to the locker room. Was this the first time he'd ever stayed? If so, did anyone at the time see it as a tipoff that something big was going to happen even if it wasn't a title change?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 06:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1954
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: Spatulapup wrote: I think Hogan had signed with them in November or early December.Not sure how true what I'm about to say about what the timing is for signing Hogan since nobody seems to know for sure, but what I remember reading at one point was that Hogan signed with WWF after he had allegedly committed to appear at Starrcade '83, and Vince told him that he wasn't going to show up at that card.  Supposedly Hogan also informed Verne the night of when he was supposed to be returning from Japan to wrestle for AWA at one of their bigger "end of the year" cards that he wasn't coming and that he wasn't ever coming back.  He was willing to do business the right way but Vince gave him more money to just not show up - I read something like he doubled Hogan's expected payday for the half dozen events and told him to stay home.

Meltzer has said Hogan was never scheduled for Starrcade 83 and that it was a mistake by the wrestling magazine. when Starrcade 83 was going on Hogan was wrestling in Japan. his japan tour started on November 19 1983 and ended December 10 1983. i dont know how far ahead japan tours were planned back then. its depends on who you believe too. Greg Gagne says Hogan gave last minute notice he was not returning. 
and i have read Vince went to Japan and made the deal with him over there and that Andre brought them together because he was on the same tour of japan. who knows, again depends on who you believe. 
I think Greg Gagne claims Andre leaked to Vince that Verne was planning Hogan vs Andre matches in the AWA in February 1984 so Vince wanted to make sure that didnt happen. But Greg Gagne could be full of crap. 

Last edited on Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 06:27 pm by Spatulapup

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 08:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4464
Status: 
Offline
Greg Gagne is full of it on a lot of stuff. He either exaggerates or claims the AWA came up with any big idea that the WWF or some other group hit it big with. I find it hard to take him seriously regarding a lot of what he says.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 10:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49741
Status: 
Offline
Spatulapup wrote: Superstar wrote: Spatulapup wrote: I think Hogan had signed with them in November or early December.Not sure how true what I'm about to say about what the timing is for signing Hogan since nobody seems to know for sure, but what I remember reading at one point was that Hogan signed with WWF after he had allegedly committed to appear at Starrcade '83, and Vince told him that he wasn't going to show up at that card.  Supposedly Hogan also informed Verne the night of when he was supposed to be returning from Japan to wrestle for AWA at one of their bigger "end of the year" cards that he wasn't coming and that he wasn't ever coming back.  He was willing to do business the right way but Vince gave him more money to just not show up - I read something like he doubled Hogan's expected payday for the half dozen events and told him to stay home.

Meltzer has said Hogan was never scheduled for Starrcade 83 and that it was a mistake by the wrestling magazine. when Starrcade 83 was going on Hogan was wrestling in Japan. his japan tour started on November 19 1983 and ended December 10 1983. i dont know how far ahead japan tours were planned back then. its depends on who you believe too. Greg Gagne says Hogan gave last minute notice he was not returning. 
and i have read Vince went to Japan and made the deal with him over there and that Andre brought them together because he was on the same tour of japan. who knows, again depends on who you believe. 
I think Greg Gagne claims Andre leaked to Vince that Verne was planning Hogan vs Andre matches in the AWA in February 1984 so Vince wanted to make sure that didnt happen. But Greg Gagne could be full of crap.

I believe Meltzer on this one.  Although Starrcade did import the Abby vs. Colon match from Puerto Rico (as a fairly short and meaningless mid-card match), everyone else was a JCP guy or had years of exposure in the NWA.  How would Hogan fit into that?  Who would his opponent had been and what would be the pay-off or the plans going forward for him?  Hogan clearly wasn't staying with the NWA.  And he wouldn't pick a one-off at Starrcade over staying in Japan, which was his bread and butter barring a WWF deal.  It makes no sense.

Last edited on Wed Oct 2nd, 2019 10:07 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2019 01:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 828
Status: 
Offline
I don't know about Japan, but Hogan said Vince came out to Minnesota to meet with him and after several hours they made a deal. He also said it was hard to leave because he had spent time with both Verne and Bockwinkel booking a series of cage matches around the territory for the next month or so.

Greg Gagne's version is Verne received a telegram in Dec. 83 informing him "I'm not coming back" or something like that. It was from Tampa, FL though so Verne assumed it was Eddie Graham playing a rib on him. But when Hogan didn't show up Greg called and asked where he was. Hulk said he was going to NY and asked if they received his telegram. Greg said he could go but finish out your dates here first. Then Hulk allegedly told him Vince was paying him more not to show up.



____________________
I live alone. I train alone. I'll win the title alone.

-Clubber Lang
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2019 02:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 15775
Status: 
Offline
Hogan vs Andre in the AWA I could see happening based on them fighting each other in the fall battleroyal series. Might have been a slower build than February 1984 though, if the cage match thing hogan spoke about was a real thing upcoming. Hard to say, it makes sense but hogan and Greg are notoriously big time fable makers. So who knows.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2019 05:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4464
Status: 
Offline
I've heard of the Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant thing from Greg Gagne in the past and am highly skeptical at best about this ever being in the works due to Greg's rep for exaggerating and making things up and the entire issue of who would lose. Andre certainly wasn't putting Hogan over and it would be insane to have Hogan lose to Andre if Hulk would even have considered such a thing. If this was ever happening, and that is a big if, all I can see is the matches going no contests due to a bunch of heels running in to ruin the matches, leading to the next cards having Hulk and Andre vs. Saito, Ventura, and Bockwinkel or something.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 3rd, 2019 08:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 15775
Status: 
Offline
Tamalie that's pretty much exactly how I invisioned the hogan and Andre matches being booked. No winner and friends again due to heel run ins.

Last edited on Thu Oct 3rd, 2019 08:49 pm by khawk



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 03:34 am  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Video Vault > RATE THIS CLASSIC -- THE IRON SHEIK DEFEATS BOB BACKLUND WWF TITLE Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems