WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Dick The Bruiser record book  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 10th, 2011 11:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
211th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7883
Status: 
Online
Google News Archive seems to have improved its search facility greatly, leading to some more dates:

Monday, November 19, 1956 - Municipal Auditorium - Newburgh, NY
1) Dick the Bruiser vs. Wild Man Fargo
The promoter was Troy Bayley of Troy, NY. There were to be two other bouts.

Friday, February 1, 1957 - Auditorium - Miami Beach, FL
1) Joyce Bragg vs. Shirley Stimple
2) Dick the Bruiser vs. Roy McClarity
3) Buddy Rogers vs. Don Leo Jonathan

Wednesday, February 6, 1957 - Gamble Armory - St. Petersburg, FL
1) George Drake defeated Fred Atkins via DQ
2) Ike Eakins fought Dick the Bruiser to a double-DQ
3) World Heavyweight Champion Lou Thesz defeated Ray Villmer in three falls
The referee was Jack Bence.

Friday, August 9, 1957 - Auditorium - Miami Beach, FL
1) Don Pollack vs. Jerry Christy
2) Leo Wallach vs. Ramon Cerna
3) Dick the Bruiser vs. Whitey Whittler



____________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Mar 10th, 2011 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
212th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: Google News Archive seems to have improved its search facility greatly, leading to some more dates:

Monday, November 19, 1956 - Municipal Auditorium - Newburgh, NY
1) Dick the Bruiser vs. Wild Man Fargo
The promoter was Troy Bayley of Troy, NY. There were to be two other bouts.

Friday, February 1, 1957 - Auditorium - Miami Beach, FL
1) Joyce Bragg vs. Shirley Stimple
2) Dick the Bruiser vs. Roy McClarity
3) Buddy Rogers vs. Don Leo Jonathan

Wednesday, February 6, 1957 - Gamble Armory - St. Petersburg, FL
1) George Drake defeated Fred Atkins via DQ
2) Ike Eakins fought Dick the Bruiser to a double-DQ
3) World Heavyweight Champion Lou Thesz defeated Ray Villmer in three falls
The referee was Jack Bence.

Friday, August 9, 1957 - Auditorium - Miami Beach, FL
1) Don Pollack vs. Jerry Christy
2) Leo Wallach vs. Ramon Cerna
3) Dick the Bruiser vs. Whitey Whittler


Added and credited. Also have been slowly adding newspaper accounts of various incidents in Bruiser's career.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 30th, 2011 04:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
213th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Bump. Added a few cards. One from 1955 in Buchanan, Michigan and one from 1970 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Will type out some more newspaper articles tomorrow.

 



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Apr 7th, 2011 10:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
214th Post
Fantasmagori

 

Joined: Sat Jan 22nd, 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 224
Status: 
Offline
5/4/57 Rome, GA @ Rome Memorial Gymnasium
Caroline Bennett vs Baby Doe
Dick The Bruiser vs Red McIntyre
Promoter: Paul Jones

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Apr 14th, 2011 04:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
215th Post
Chitown Rich

 

Joined: Mon Aug 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 813
Status: 
Offline
I was looking through some old Poffo results that CrusherBolo compiled and came across this card with Bruiser on it.

Zion, IL
Sept. 28, 1956

Dick the Bruiser vs Wilbur Snyder
Bill Melby vs Angelo Poffo
Rose Roman vs Ada Ash

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Apr 18th, 2011 05:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
216th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Updated and Credited.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu May 12th, 2011 02:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
217th Post
Chitown Rich

 

Joined: Mon Aug 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 813
Status: 
Offline
Here's one from late in Bruiser's career. Found it in some old wrestling bulletin.

Danville, Illinois
June 11, 1987

Bruiser vs Igor Zatkoff

Shotgun Willie & The Wildman vs Bobo Brazil Jr. & El Bracero

The Strangler vs Farmer Luke

Judy Starfire vs Misty Dawn

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri May 27th, 2011 02:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
218th Post
Chitown Rich

 

Joined: Mon Aug 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 813
Status: 
Offline
I've found cards for Evansville, Indiana for February 14 and 21 with Dick the Bruiser being advertised. No matches or anything else stated.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri May 27th, 2011 02:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
219th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Will add tomorrow. Dupree says he has some more Hammond programs so I'm waiting for him to post them.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri May 27th, 2011 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
220th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Chitown Rich wrote: Here's one from late in Bruiser's career. Found it in some old wrestling bulletin.

Danville, Illinois
June 11, 1987

Bruiser vs Igor Zatkoff

Shotgun Willie & The Wildman vs Bobo Brazil Jr. & El Bracero

The Strangler vs Farmer Luke

Judy Starfire vs Misty Dawn
 

Added and credited.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri May 27th, 2011 05:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
221st Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Chitown Rich wrote: I've found cards for Evansville, Indiana for February 14 and 21 with Dick the Bruiser being advertised. No matches or anything else stated.

Which year?



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri May 27th, 2011 08:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
222nd Post
Chitown Rich

 

Joined: Mon Aug 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 813
Status: 
Offline
Claw,

It says 1979.

Like I said, no lineups or anything else. It just says that Dick the Bruiser will be appearing for the first time in eight years.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat May 28th, 2011 12:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
223rd Post
Chitown Rich

 

Joined: Mon Aug 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 813
Status: 
Offline
Here's a TV wrestling airing for Bruiser.

Sioux City, Iowa
May 3, 1958

Dick Afflis beat Rip Hawk
Jack Pesek drew Chest Bernard

then back to arena matches

Sioux  City, Iowa
April 15, 1958

Dick Afflis pinned Yukon Eric
Ivan the Terrible beat Larry Hamilton
Alex Karras beat Chest Bernard


Des Moines, Iowa
April 16, 1958

Hans Schmidt beat Yukon Eric
Dick Afflis beat Jack Pesek
Alex Karras beat Ivan the Terrible
Chest Bernard beat Alberto Godoy

These all come from a wrestling bulletin called  The Wrestling World put out by Ed Briggs. This is from the June, 1958 issue. Found it with some old baseball mags in the basement the other day. Probably got it back around 20 years ago.

Claw look for the copy in the mail.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue May 31st, 2011 04:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
224th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Chitown Rich wrote: Claw,

It says 1979.

Like I said, no lineups or anything else. It just says that Dick the Bruiser will be appearing for the first time in eight years.

What I have for those dates is

2/14/79 Evansville, IN
Brass Knuckles Title Match
Don Fargo vs Bill Dundee
Jerry Lawler vs Don Carson
The Assassins vs Tommy Gilbert & Don Carson
Dennis Condrey vs Roger Howell
Robert Gibson vs Chris Colt

2/21/79 Evansville, IN
Jerry Lawler & Robert Fuller vs Don Carson & Dennis Condrey
The Assassins vs Jimmy Golden & Bill Dundee 2/3
Mongolian Stomper & Gorgeous George Jr vs Robert Gibson & Roger Howell
Chris Colt & Don Fargo vs Tommy Gilbert & Buzz Sawyer

I think I got those cards from Ron Witmer. Maybe Bruiser was running opposition to Jarrett?



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 31st, 2011 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
225th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Chitown Rich wrote: Here's a TV wrestling airing for Bruiser.

Sioux City, Iowa
May 3, 1958

Dick Afflis beat Rip Hawk
Jack Pesek drew Chest Bernard

then back to arena matches

Sioux  City, Iowa
April 15, 1958

Dick Afflis pinned Yukon Eric
Ivan the Terrible beat Larry Hamilton
Alex Karras beat Chest Bernard


Des Moines, Iowa
April 16, 1958

Hans Schmidt beat Yukon Eric
Dick Afflis beat Jack Pesek
Alex Karras beat Ivan the Terrible
Chest Bernard beat Alberto Godoy

Added.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 12:08 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Clawmaster's Archives > Dick The Bruiser record book Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems