WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Tim Thomas no-shows Presidential visit with Boston Bruins

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Tim Thomas no-shows Presidential visit with Boston Bruins  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
61st Post
lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43331
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote: Has Tim Thomas commented publicly on the matter yet?


here's his statement

 

 

I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic.

TT

 

 

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/175798/tim-thomas-boston-bruins-goalie-calls-bullshit-on-u-s-govt-with-naive-libertarian-statement/

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 07:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
62nd Post
stone2k



Joined: Mon Nov 29th, 2010
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts USA
Posts: 8946
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: clawmaster wrote: Has Tim Thomas commented publicly on the matter yet?


here's his statement

 

 

I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic.

TT

 

 

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/175798/tim-thomas-boston-bruins-goalie-calls-bullshit-on-u-s-govt-with-naive-libertarian-statement/

Good for him standing up in what he believes in, even if he will probably lose the PR war on this one.



____________________
Esoteric verbosity culminates in commutative ennui.

De gustibus non est disputandum
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 07:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
63rd Post
BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: yellowdog wrote:
mike3775 wrote: who gives a flying fuck if someone doesn't want to meet the President.  I sure as hell wouldn't go if he invited me to the White House, and it has nothing to do with the party either, its just I think its fucking stupid.  All they do is grab ass for the camera's for a few minutes, the President makes a speech, the team gives a jersey with the Presidents name, grab ass some more, then the secret service agents lead you to the exit.  No big deal

This reminds me of the woman who caused a stir for wearing flip flops when some womans team met Bush.  Big fucking deal if she wore flip flops, there is no official dress code for meeting the President either.  If I wanted to wear a depends diaper and have a big baby bottle, no one could stop me.

call me old fashion but I think there still is a certain amount of respect the President, regardless of political affiliation, deserves.  As Americans we ought to at least have respect for what the Office means.  so fuck him.

My feelings exactly. This is in line with that Joe Whatsisname Rep from whatever state he was from who yelled "Liar!" during Obama's speech a little while back. It's just another piece of evidence of lack of respect.


 

 

Disagree entirely with DFG and YD.  Dude doesn't want to go, he shoudn't go.  We are SUPPOSED to protest things & politicians we don't agree with. He isn't breaking laws or causing riots. He's simply declining an invitation & SHOULD decline if he believes that is the right thing to do.

 

Further, I think Rep What-his-name SHOULD yell "liar" if the Pres is lying through his teeth.  Just going along with shit you strongly disagree with & keeping your mouth shut because tradition dictates you should is NOT the way it's supposed to be done. 

 

Again, WHY is our society so determined to protect liars, cheats & crooks, yet looks down on those with the personal fortitude to speak out aganst them?  We say "look at all the bad shit they do," then someone takes an agressive stance against it, and he gets chastised for not going with traditon. What kind of conditioned, BS is that?

 

Fuck "the Office of President" until someone in that office convinces me to think otherwise.  You are free to let the "office" protect the crooks in it. I choose not to.


Last edited on Tue Jan 24th, 2012 07:36 pm by BayouBoogie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 07:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
64th Post
BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Somehow I doubt the people who object to this felt the same way over the handful of athletes who refused to meet with Bush over the years.  They were right then, and Thomas is right now.  This is a non-story.  He doesn't have to go anywhere he doesn't want to go and he doesn't even have to respect anyone he doesn't want to respect.  I seem to recall this country being founded on a shocking lack of respect for certain members of royalty.

A-Fucking-Men.  The hypocracy in criticizing someone for taking such a simple, non-violent stance for something they believe in is absurd.

 

Disagree with his opinion all you want. Say he's wrong to be sick of our government or wrong to distrust Obama, or whatever, if that's what you belive in. But acting like he has some obligation to go somewhere he doesn't want to go, or kiss an ass that he doesn't want to kiss is scary thinking, IMO.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
65th Post
Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15603
Status: 
Offline
I am hearing he is a big Tea party supporter and while he claims it was about either party becaus ethey are both to blame it is blatant disrespect of the presient much like the asshole Congressman tonight who is boycotting the Stae of the Union Address.  If this was Bush Fox news and Rush Limbaughs head would explode because of the blantant disrespect for the office not the person.  You go and you smile and stay quiet and its done.  Now he has turned this into a huge Fing deal.  Its all part of the crumbling of our social institions and lack of respect of the government.  Congress is gridlocked because they can't get a long or agree on anything.  I was on a town hall conference call with 4 congressmen last night and they said they don't know their republican counter parts any more becaus eno one is ever there together and now even the committees meet by party lines and only get together to vote.



____________________
Most people don't care if you're telling them the truth or if you're telling them a lie, as long as they're entertained by it. - Tom Waits

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
66th Post
tofu_chipmunk



Joined: Wed Aug 5th, 2009
Location: Suburban Fatlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 6706
Status: 
Offline
BayouBoogie wrote: Further, I think Rep What-his-name SHOULD yell "liar" if the Pres is lying through his teeth.  Just going along with shit you strongly disagree with & keeping your mouth shut because tradition dictates you should is NOT the way it's supposed to be done. 

I'm of the opinion that Joe Wilson yelled that to score Tea Party cred points.  I doubt beej can convert those to Congressional mana.

Better analysis of that charge than I can provide here: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/sep/09/joe-wilson/joe-wilson-south-carolina-said-obama-lied-he-didnt/

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
67th Post
yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3810
Status: 
Offline
I liked this post of mine so much that I thought I'd post it again for added emphasis:

I believe professional athletes represent teams, cities, regions and as champions, our country.  Jesus, this isn't a war.  Maybe that's why Dems and GOPs can't get anything done, because they are the mortal enemy and can't even shake the hand of their "enemy."  This "standing up for my rights and principles" is a load.

There.  I feel better.  I'm done.  No disrespect to those that disagree, but that's the way I strongly feel.



____________________
"It's a Dog Eat Dog World"
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
68th Post
BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
OK. I just read the whole thing. Rossi, excellent points. I felt like quoting just about all of your posts on this thread because you nailed it all, IMO (hoping you didn't nail Bachman's hubby, too, but to each their own).

 

I see some mighty crawfishing on the part of some of those against it (YD has stayed consistent, though I don't agree with his conclusions). DFG, did you seriously say that people who refused to see Bush are ok because their reasons are better than Thomas's???  Are you guys seriously forgetting how badly Bush was ridiculed & talked about? They made a friggin Hollywood movie about a sitting President and made him as a crooked buffoon (and it wasn't a comedy). Respect for the friggin office?? Really??????

 

There was an awful lot of "I'd think the same for anyone under any circumstance," then all of a sudden it was

-"what about this guy" - "yeah, but he did it for a different reason"

"ok, this guy?" - "his reason was cool, too"

"and this one?"  "well, he's crazy so he's ok ... (and then the kicker that kind of ties it all up): AT LEAST HE ISN'T DOING IT BECAUSE OF THE TEA PARTY GETTING IN HIS HEAD, LIKE THOMAS"

AHA!

 

So it all goes back to what rossi pointed out early on. You don't like what he did because you disagree with his political opinions. If he did it for different reasons, it'd be ok. Not that he made a big stink or openly disrespected Obama, he just declined an invitation. But he's in the Tea Party, and Obama is a black Dem, so THOMAS IS WRONG.

 

It's not that WHAT he did was so bad, others have done it, but they are ok, because their public reasoning was cool.  It's his REASON for doing it that is so bad. So we are back to regulating people's opinions.

And after reading all of these posts, that is the only reasoning against what he did that I see. Well, YD, might really believe that we have some weird obligation to treat the President as more than just a citizen in an important post (which is odd to me since, as rossi pointed out, our entire nation was founded on the idea that our leaders SHOULD NOT be above the ordinary citizen & that we are obligated as citizens to speak out against the government when we don't think it is doing right by our people)

Last edited on Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:48 pm by BayouBoogie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
69th Post
BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
tofu_chipmunk wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: Further, I think Rep What-his-name SHOULD yell "liar" if the Pres is lying through his teeth.  Just going along with shit you strongly disagree with & keeping your mouth shut because tradition dictates you should is NOT the way it's supposed to be done. 

I'm of the opinion that Joe Wilson yelled that to score Tea Party cred points.  I doubt beej can convert those to Congressional mana.



He probably did. He seems like a bit of a glory hounding D-Bag, but I can't say what the man's motives were, and Obama WAS lying through his teeth, so I'm glad someone spoke spoke out about it.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
70th Post
BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
Count Grog wrote: I am hearing he is a big Tea party supporter and while he claims it was about either party becaus ethey are both to blame it is blatant disrespect of the presient much like the asshole Congressman tonight who is boycotting the Stae of the Union Address.  If this was Bush Fox news and Rush Limbaughs head would explode because of the blantant disrespect for the office not the person.  You go and you smile and stay quiet and its done.  Now he has turned this into a huge Fing deal.  Its all part of the crumbling of our social institions and lack of respect of the government.  Congress is gridlocked because they can't get a long or agree on anything.  I was on a town hall conference call with 4 congressmen last night and they said they don't know their republican counter parts any more becaus eno one is ever there together and now even the committees meet by party lines and only get together to vote.

 

And since it's Obama, the anti-Fox stations and commentators are having fits. Same fucking thing when Clinton was Pres, then Bush, then Obama. They all forget overnight that they didn't have a lick of respect for the last President of the "other" party."

The office is nothing more than a job ( a VERY important one, which gives all the more reason to hold the person in that office to a HIGHER stadard, not a lower one). It is defined by the people in that role, and as far as I'm concerned, they aren't the most respectable crew.

Also, if Thomas truly believes in what he believes, why would he want it to just quietly go away? You don't just go and smile and let it pass if you have convictions.

 

And Congress has been gridlocked for many years. All the more reason to stop playing this bullshit where we "respect the office" when the guy in it is for "my" party. I'm ready to hold these assholes in office responsible for "respecting the office," not the citizens they serve.

Last edited on Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:28 pm by BayouBoogie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
71st Post
dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10016
Status: 
Offline
BayouBoogie wrote: tofu_chipmunk wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: Further, I think Rep What-his-name SHOULD yell "liar" if the Pres is lying through his teeth.  Just going along with shit you strongly disagree with & keeping your mouth shut because tradition dictates you should is NOT the way it's supposed to be done. 

I'm of the opinion that Joe Wilson yelled that to score Tea Party cred points.  I doubt beej can convert those to Congressional mana.



He probably did. He seems like a bit of a glory hounding D-Bag, but I can't say what the man's motives were, and Obama WAS lying through his teeth, so I'm glad someone spoke spoke out about it.

If you give a speech some day, let me know, because I wouldn't miss it for the world.  I'll heckle you so much that your head will spin around like Reagan MacNeil.

If you say I'm being disrespectful or ignorant or downright uncivil, I'll say tough shit, it's my right to do it and FUCK YOU if you think otherwise.

See what I'm getting at here?  Probably not.



____________________
"I'm putting your worthless fucking ass on ignore so I don't have to read anymore of your pompous arrogant New York big shot bullshit. Good fucking riddance, fuckhead."-Angelic Assassin to rossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
72nd Post
yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3810
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: tofu_chipmunk wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: Further, I think Rep What-his-name SHOULD yell "liar" if the Pres is lying through his teeth.  Just going along with shit you strongly disagree with & keeping your mouth shut because tradition dictates you should is NOT the way it's supposed to be done. 

I'm of the opinion that Joe Wilson yelled that to score Tea Party cred points.  I doubt beej can convert those to Congressional mana.



He probably did. He seems like a bit of a glory hounding D-Bag, but I can't say what the man's motives were, and Obama WAS lying through his teeth, so I'm glad someone spoke spoke out about it.

If you give a speech some day, let me know, because I wouldn't miss it for the world.  I'll heckle you so much that your head will spin around like Reagan MacNeil.

If you say I'm being disrespectful or ignorant or downright uncivil, I'll say tough shit, it's my right to do it and FUCK YOU if you think otherwise.

See what I'm getting at here?  Probably not.


let me guess... you're free to be an asshole if you want?



____________________
"It's a Dog Eat Dog World"
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
73rd Post
CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: CanadianHorseman wrote: Now it's getting stupid and it's just going to get worse. What do you think TSN's Dave Hodge was trying to imply with this tweet:





TSNDaveHodge Dave Hodge - TSN
Don't know if it's fair to point this out, but Tim Thomas has three children named Kiley, Kelsey and Keegan.


Aw fuck. Maybe he was just trying to be funny.

I'm sure he was but it really was a dumb thing to say. By the way - over at HF Boards somebody posted this gem:
I wonder if this guy Hodge has ever looked into the implications of the initials of the president's daughters, Sasha & Malia?



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
74th Post
dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10016
Status: 
Offline
yellowdog wrote: dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: tofu_chipmunk wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: Further, I think Rep What-his-name SHOULD yell "liar" if the Pres is lying through his teeth.  Just going along with shit you strongly disagree with & keeping your mouth shut because tradition dictates you should is NOT the way it's supposed to be done. 

I'm of the opinion that Joe Wilson yelled that to score Tea Party cred points.  I doubt beej can convert those to Congressional mana.



He probably did. He seems like a bit of a glory hounding D-Bag, but I can't say what the man's motives were, and Obama WAS lying through his teeth, so I'm glad someone spoke spoke out about it.

If you give a speech some day, let me know, because I wouldn't miss it for the world.  I'll heckle you so much that your head will spin around like Reagan MacNeil.

If you say I'm being disrespectful or ignorant or downright uncivil, I'll say tough shit, it's my right to do it and FUCK YOU if you think otherwise.

See what I'm getting at here?  Probably not.


let me guess... you're free to be an asshole if you want?


Pretty much.  But let me go on record as saying I'm firmly AGAINST being an asshole whenever I want, because, you know, I believe in society, and I kind of like most (some, a few) people. 

But mostly it's because I don't want everybody to perceive me as being a dick.



____________________
"I'm putting your worthless fucking ass on ignore so I don't have to read anymore of your pompous arrogant New York big shot bullshit. Good fucking riddance, fuckhead."-Angelic Assassin to rossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 08:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
75th Post
BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: tofu_chipmunk wrote: BayouBoogie wrote: Further, I think Rep What-his-name SHOULD yell "liar" if the Pres is lying through his teeth.  Just going along with shit you strongly disagree with & keeping your mouth shut because tradition dictates you should is NOT the way it's supposed to be done. 

I'm of the opinion that Joe Wilson yelled that to score Tea Party cred points.  I doubt beej can convert those to Congressional mana.



He probably did. He seems like a bit of a glory hounding D-Bag, but I can't say what the man's motives were, and Obama WAS lying through his teeth, so I'm glad someone spoke spoke out about it.

If you give a speech some day, let me know, because I wouldn't miss it for the world.  I'll heckle you so much that your head will spin around like Reagan MacNeil.

If you say I'm being disrespectful or ignorant or downright uncivil, I'll say tough shit, it's my right to do it and FUCK YOU if you think otherwise.

See what I'm getting at here?  Probably not.


 
I see where you are going and it's a fucking ridiculous argument that slaps logic and reality in the face.
 

You'd do nothing of the sort. You'd be kicked out as anyone who disrupts a meeting would be & you'll be arrested if you refuse to leave or shut up. If you want to yell a single word or two then shut the fuck up or be removed, that is your right, and I say it's your obligation if you feel strongly & think the scene you make is worth it.


But comparing yelling a single word or phrase to the disruption you described in your post is as crazy as the post you made where you compare pissing on things and defacing property to quietly declining an invitation.

BTW, it is NOT your legal right to act like that in a structured setting. Not sure where you get that idea from. You could be kicked out of a comedy club for too much of that, much less a friggin speech. A damn bar owner can kick you out if he doesn't like the way you are acting. You can be kicked out of a convenience store for harassing people. How can you think you have the right to continually disrupt a speech with no consequences?

Last edited on Tue Jan 24th, 2012 09:16 pm by BayouBoogie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 06:49 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Tim Thomas no-shows Presidential visit with Boston Bruins Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems