WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Baseball news and notes

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Baseball news and notes  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat May 5th, 2012 02:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
76th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43052
Status: 
Offline
SAN DIEGO -- Padres closer Huston Street left San Diego's game against the Miami Marlins with a strain near his pitching shoulder Friday night after issuing a walk in the 10th inning.

The right-hander will undergo an MRI on Saturday to determine the severity of the injury.

"I don't think it's major," Street said. "It's not in my shoulder. It's more in my lat, up in the armpit. I think that's a positive sign."

Street entered at the start of the 10th inning and retired his first two batters before walking pinch-hitter Logan Morrison. Padres manager Bud Black and assistant trainer Paul Navarro went out to the mound and, after a brief discussion, Street left the game. He was replaced by Brad Brach.

Miami won 9-8 in 12 innings.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat May 5th, 2012 03:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
77th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43052
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote: Yanks' manager says Rivera has torn knee ligament
By DAVE SKRETTA | The Associated Press – 18 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi says closer Mariano Rivera has a torn right knee ligament, an injury that could potentially end his career.

The 42-year-old right-hander was carted off the field after twisting his right knee shagging flyballs during batting practice Thursday night before the Yankees played the Kansas City Royals.



 

There aren’t many teams that could withstand losing a sure-fire future Hall of Famer. But the New York Yankees can.

While much of Gotham was trying to figure out who the Yankees should target in trades, the fact is the Yankees own significant bullpen depth that might make a trade unnecessary.

For instance, when Mariano Rivera went down in a heap after tearing his ACL shagging fly balls in Kansas City on Thursday, it already was a natural assumption that setup man David Robertson would slide into the closer’s role. Similar to how Rivera served as understudy to John Wetteland in the late-1990s, Robertson has cut his teeth under Rivera to become one of baseball’s top five closers-in-waiting.

The Yankees also boast bullpen depth with right-hander Rafael Soriano, who was the AL’s second best closer to Rivera when the Yankees signed him two years ago. He provides a solid backup plan if Robertson struggles. Cory Wade also is ready to step up after starting the year with a 1.46 ERA, with 15 strikeouts and just two walks in 12 1/3 innings pitched. Further, lefty Boone Logan has posted an impressive 0.96 ERA in 12 appearances.

On top of that, Phil Hughes or David Phelps remain candidates to be moved back to the bullpen when Andy Pettitte makes his first start in the next 10 days.

Despite losing his all-world closer, Yankees president Hal Steinbrenner must be quietly pleased with himself, as he pushed to sign Soriano, going against general manager Brian Cashman’s advice a couple years back. Now that signing looks critical. Because of that depth, the Yankees don’t necessarily have to make a trade for more relief help. In fact, the Yankees’ bigger need is starting pitching, but they are who they are and they’ll take the temperature of the relief market anyway.

In fact, they match up extremely well with the Houston Astros. Left-hander Wandy Rodriguez and closer Brett Myers are easily their most tradable pieces, and both would solidify the Yankees bullpen and rotation. To obtain both Rodriguez and Myers, however, it will be expensive, probably costing a couple of top prospects.

Myers has successfully made the transition back to the bullpen after four years of starting with a 1.17 ERA and six saves in his first eight appearances. Remember, the last time he closed games on a regular basis was with the Phillies in 2007, when he had 21 saves in 48 relief appearances. Along with Wade, Myers could serve as the Yankees’ seventh-inning bridge to Soriano and then Robertson.

Of course, a trade for Myers and Rodriguez would cost the Yankees some farm system depth, and that might not be something they are willing to do. If the Yankees decide to go outside the organization, here are six other relief pitchers who could be available at a lower cost.


Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat May 5th, 2012 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
78th Post
Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6701
Status: 
Offline
In other News...the Angels suck, after having the Jays shut them out 2 games in a row on their home field. Albert Pujols continues to be impotent at the plate.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun May 6th, 2012 12:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
79th Post
CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
From Friday's game in Boston:



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 03:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
80th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48511
Status: 
Offline
CanadianHorseman wrote: From Friday's game in Boston:


I"m surprised Reynolds didn't swing and miss with the high five.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
81st Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43052
Status: 
Offline
WASHINGTON -- Nationals right fielder Jayson Werth broke his left wrist Sunday night trying to make a sliding catch against the Philadelphia Phillies.

"It's a clean break," Washington manager Davey Johnson said after the Nationals' 9-3 loss. "He's going to be out for a while."

Johnson said Werth will see a specialist to evaluate the injury.




Werth was injured in the sixth inning. The right fielder's glove got caught underneath him and he bent his wrist backward trying to grab Placido Polanco's sinking liner. Werth stayed on the ground briefly before throwing the ball back to the infield. He walked off holding his left wrist.
Werth wasn't available to speak to the media after the game.

This is only the latest in a string of injuries that have already hit the Nationals this season. Michael Morse, slated to be the team's cleanup hitter, hasn't played because of an injured back muscle. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman has been on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, and fill-in cleanup hitter Adam LaRoche has missed the past four games because of a sore right side muscle. Zimmerman and LaRoche are hoping to return for Washington's next game, Tuesday night at Pittsburgh.

"All of a sudden we seem to be getting a little more healthy and then boom, another one of our main guys goes down," Johnson said. "We've dealt with it before we'll deal with it again. We're not alone. It seems like it's rampant right now. It's a tough blow."

Werth missed the entire 2006 season after an injury to his left wrist which placed his career in jeopardy. He broke the wrist in spring training 2005 with the Dodgers and played 102 games that season before undergoing surgery to repair a torn ligament in the wrist.

He joined Philadelphia in 2007 and became an All-Star outfielder in his four seasons there before signing a $126 million, seven-year deal with the Nationals before the 2011 season.

The injury took some of the luster off another spectacular performance by 19-year-old Bryce Harper, who went 2 for 3 with a double and stole home in the first inning.

"That's really bad," Harper said. "That's a big loss for us."

Zimmerman took batting practice on the field before Sunday's game and said he felt good. Now, instead of building toward a full lineup, Zimmerman's return will just plug the hole left by Werth's injury.

"We're a resilient team," Zimmerman said. "It's frustrating. Anytime anyone gets hurt it's tough, but it's part of the deal. It's a long season and we're going to have to go through adversity this team has the talent and the capability to do that."

LaRoche was also looking forward to joining a near-full strength lineup until Werth's injury.

"Never a good time to lose anybody, especially a guy in the heart of your lineup," LaRoche said. "We were looking forward to this next series, this next week, being together again. Now we're obviously short another big bat and a big part of this team. So, time for everybody to step up and make up for it as much as we can.

Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann (1-3) took the loss Sunday for the NL East-leading Nationals, giving up three runs and seven hits. His disappointment over his night was matched by his concern for his latest injured teammate.

"It's a sad thing for him," Zimmermann said. "He's one of our leaders and he's going to be gone for a few months. We'll have to just battle until he gets back."

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 02:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
82nd Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
The injury took some of the luster off another spectacular performance by 19-year-old Bryce Harper, who went 2 for 3 with a double and stole home in the first inning.

You know, I am so sick and tired of hearing about Harper.  To some analysts, the Nationals are where they are now only because of him it seems. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 03:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
83rd Post
Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15601
Status: 
Offline
Hamels should have hit him harder



____________________
Most people don't care if you're telling them the truth or if you're telling them a lie, as long as they're entertained by it. - Tom Waits

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
84th Post
PeteF3

 

Joined: Thu Dec 6th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1476
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: The injury took some of the luster off another spectacular performance by 19-year-old Bryce Harper, who went 2 for 3 with a double and stole home in the first inning.

You know, I am so sick and tired of hearing about Harper.  To some analysts, the Nationals are where they are now only because of him it seems. 

Too bad, because like him or not the kid is incredible. Stole home off Hamels after getting hit, then later ran a blooper into LF into a double.

And every bit of analysis I've seen has the Nats where they are because of their ridiculous over-their-heads starting pitching.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 04:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
85th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
PeteF3 wrote: mike3775 wrote: The injury took some of the luster off another spectacular performance by 19-year-old Bryce Harper, who went 2 for 3 with a double and stole home in the first inning.

You know, I am so sick and tired of hearing about Harper.  To some analysts, the Nationals are where they are now only because of him it seems. 

Too bad, because like him or not the kid is incredible. Stole home off Hamels after getting hit, then later ran a blooper into LF into a double.

And every bit of analysis I've seen has the Nats where they are because of their ridiculous over-their-heads starting pitching.
Yes the kid is good.  But he is not the "savior" that many analysts would have you believe.  I about gagged when the other day he went 0-3 and the analyst on MLB Tonight(I wish I could remember who it was) said "even though he went 0-3, it was a great 0-3 because he never gave up on the at bats".  Uh sorry, to me, going 0-3 is not good regardless of whether or not he never gave up during the at bats, he did not produce much that day.  

I give the Nationals credit, they have great pitching, and have some good bats now and they will be a great team someday if the entire starting line up can all stay healthy. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 07:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
86th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43052
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: WASHINGTON -- Nationals right fielder Jayson Werth broke his left wrist Sunday night trying to make a sliding catch against the Philadelphia Phillies.

"It's a clean break," Washington manager Davey Johnson said after the Nationals' 9-3 loss. "He's going to be out for a while."

Johnson said Werth will see a specialist to evaluate the injury.




Werth was injured in the sixth inning. The right fielder's glove got caught underneath him and he bent his wrist backward trying to grab Placido Polanco's sinking liner. Werth stayed on the ground briefly before throwing the ball back to the infield. He walked off holding his left wrist.
Werth wasn't available to speak to the media after the game.

This is only the latest in a string of injuries that have already hit the Nationals this season. Michael Morse, slated to be the team's cleanup hitter, hasn't played because of an injured back muscle. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman has been on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, and fill-in cleanup hitter Adam LaRoche has missed the past four games because of a sore right side muscle. Zimmerman and LaRoche are hoping to return for Washington's next game, Tuesday night at Pittsburgh.

"All of a sudden we seem to be getting a little more healthy and then boom, another one of our main guys goes down," Johnson said. "We've dealt with it before we'll deal with it again. We're not alone. It seems like it's rampant right now. It's a tough blow."

Werth missed the entire 2006 season after an injury to his left wrist which placed his career in jeopardy. He broke the wrist in spring training 2005 with the Dodgers and played 102 games that season before undergoing surgery to repair a torn ligament in the wrist.

He joined Philadelphia in 2007 and became an All-Star outfielder in his four seasons there before signing a $126 million, seven-year deal with the Nationals before the 2011 season.

The injury took some of the luster off another spectacular performance by 19-year-old Bryce Harper, who went 2 for 3 with a double and stole home in the first inning.

"That's really bad," Harper said. "That's a big loss for us."

Zimmerman took batting practice on the field before Sunday's game and said he felt good. Now, instead of building toward a full lineup, Zimmerman's return will just plug the hole left by Werth's injury.

"We're a resilient team," Zimmerman said. "It's frustrating. Anytime anyone gets hurt it's tough, but it's part of the deal. It's a long season and we're going to have to go through adversity this team has the talent and the capability to do that."

LaRoche was also looking forward to joining a near-full strength lineup until Werth's injury.

"Never a good time to lose anybody, especially a guy in the heart of your lineup," LaRoche said. "We were looking forward to this next series, this next week, being together again. Now we're obviously short another big bat and a big part of this team. So, time for everybody to step up and make up for it as much as we can.

Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann (1-3) took the loss Sunday for the NL East-leading Nationals, giving up three runs and seven hits. His disappointment over his night was matched by his concern for his latest injured teammate.

"It's a sad thing for him," Zimmermann said. "He's one of our leaders and he's going to be gone for a few months. We'll have to just battle until he gets back."



 

 

 

Washington Nationals right fielder Jayson Werth will be sidelined for 12 weeks after having surgery on his broken left wrist, MLB.com reported Monday, citing a baseball source.

Werth was injured while trying to catch a blooper off the bat of Placido Polanco in the sixth inning of the Philadelphia Phillies' 9-3 win on Sunday.


Werth's glove got caught underneath him and he bent his wrist backward trying to grab Polanco's sinking liner. Werth stayed on the ground briefly before throwing the ball back to the infield. He walked off holding his left wrist.

Werth missed the entire 2006 season after an injury to his left wrist which placed his career in jeopardy. He broke the wrist in spring training 2005 with the Dodgers and played 102 games that season before undergoing surgery to repair a torn ligament in the wrist.

He joined Philadelphia in 2007 and became an All-Star outfielder in his four seasons there before signing a $126 million, seven-year deal with the Nationals before the 2011 season.

Werth's injury is the latest in a string of injuries that have already hit the Nationals.

Michael Morse, slated to be the team's cleanup hitter, hasn't played because of an injured back muscle. Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman has been on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, and fill-in cleanup hitter Adam LaRoche has missed the past four games because of a sore right side muscle.

Zimmerman and LaRoche are hoping to return for Washington's next game, Tuesday night at Pittsburgh.

Zimmerman took batting practice on the field before Sunday's game and said he felt good. Now, instead of building toward a full lineup, Zimmerman's return will just plug the hole left by Werth's injury.

"We're a resilient team," Zimmerman said. "It's frustrating. Anytime anyone gets hurt it's tough, but it's part of the deal. It's a long season and we're going to have to go through adversity. This team has the talent and the capability to do that."

LaRoche was also looking forward to joining a near-full strength lineup until Werth's injury.

"Never a good time to lose anybody, especially a guy in the heart of your lineup," LaRoche said. "We were looking forward to this next series, this next week, being together again. Now we're obviously short another big bat and a big part of this team. So, time for everybody to step up and make up for it as much as we can."

Last edited on Mon May 7th, 2012 08:31 pm by lobo316

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 08:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
87th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Washington needs to scrap the idea of shutting down Strasburg if he reaches his limit and they are still in contention.  It would be stupid to shut down someone who will definitely help them get into the playoffs, especially with the new playoff format, where he wouldn't even need to pitch the lone wildcard game, and no way will the NAts go anywhere in the divisional series if they do not have him.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 08:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
88th Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote:
PeteF3 wrote: mike3775 wrote: The injury took some of the luster off another spectacular performance by 19-year-old Bryce Harper, who went 2 for 3 with a double and stole home in the first inning.

You know, I am so sick and tired of hearing about Harper.  To some analysts, the Nationals are where they are now only because of him it seems. 

Too bad, because like him or not the kid is incredible. Stole home off Hamels after getting hit, then later ran a blooper into LF into a double.

And every bit of analysis I've seen has the Nats where they are because of their ridiculous over-their-heads starting pitching.
Yes the kid is good.  But he is not the "savior" that many analysts would have you believe.  I about gagged when the other day he went 0-3 and the analyst on MLB Tonight(I wish I could remember who it was) said "even though he went 0-3, it was a great 0-3 because he never gave up on the at bats".  Uh sorry, to me, going 0-3 is not good regardless of whether or not he never gave up during the at bats, he did not produce much that day.  

I give the Nationals credit, they have great pitching, and have some good bats now and they will be a great team someday if the entire starting line up can all stay healthy. 


He's supposed to be the biggest douche in baseball since Barry Bonds.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 08:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
89th Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote:
Washington needs to scrap the idea of shutting down Strasburg if he reaches his limit and they are still in contention.  It would be stupid to shut down someone who will definitely help them get into the playoffs, especially with the new playoff format, where he wouldn't even need to pitch the lone wildcard game, and no way will the NAts go anywhere in the divisional series if they do not have him.


You are correct. The Nats would be wise to follow the Texas way of letting their pitchers pitch and not the Yankees "fuck up the minds and arms" method.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 09:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
90th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43052
Status: 
Offline
NEW YORK -- San Francisco Giants reliever Guillermo Mota has been given a 100-game suspension after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

Major League Baseball announced the penalty Monday.

The 38-year-old right-hander drew a 50-game suspension after the 2006 season for a performance-enhancing substance violation.

Mota was 0-1 with a 5.06 ERA in nine games for the Giants this year. This is his 14th season in the majors.

The commissioner's office said Mota tested positive for Clenbuterol.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 07:11 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Baseball news and notes Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems