WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
2013 MLB thread  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 08:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
106th Post
Famous Mortimer



Joined: Thu Nov 6th, 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2771
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: Famous Mortimer wrote:
There's a lot of difference in the reporting of this - the Grantland guys think he's a genius for playing the system, and nearly everyone else thinks he's a criminal and should never be let near a baseball club ever again.

Grantland I bet is playing the opposite of public opinion to see if anyone is paying attention to them


You might be right - then I was listening to ESPN's Baseball Today podcast this morning and their main host was all "it's legal!" and sort-of refusing to say anything about it other than he was a bit disappointed, but the Marlins are a business and what he did was within the rules.

I don't trust people who don't have opinions on shit like this, especially when it's their job.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 01:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
107th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 15767
Status: 
Offline
CanadianHorseman wrote: That's all I ever hear from Blue Jay fans - waaaahhhh we can't compete financially with Boston and New York waaahhhhh.


Chris is right...it's more "won't spend" than "can't spend".

Be happy you have owners in Boston that like to spend money without acting like they are getting their teeth pulled.


EDIT--anyone think Selig will overturn this trade?

Last edited on Fri Nov 16th, 2012 01:11 pm by khawk



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
108th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote: CanadianHorseman wrote: That's all I ever hear from Blue Jay fans - waaaahhhh we can't compete financially with Boston and New York waaahhhhh.


Chris is right...it's more "won't spend" than "can't spend".

Be happy you have owners in Boston that like to spend money without acting like they are getting their teeth pulled.


EDIT--anyone think Selig will overturn this trade?
There is nothing Selig will do but to allow it.

But I can see the MLBPA again filing a suit against Loria like they did a few years ago over his payroll, to force them to spend more

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 01:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
109th Post
Famous Mortimer



Joined: Thu Nov 6th, 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2771
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: There is nothing Selig will do but to allow it.

But I can see the MLBPA again filing a suit against Loria like they did a few years ago over his payroll, to force them to spend more


The only sensible option seems to be to boycott Marlins games, but ruining another city for baseball seems foolish (Loria did this to Montreal a few years back, lest we forget).

It's rotten at the top, for sure. The decisions need to have some input from the cities other than "how much money do you want not to move?" I'd also like to see one of the cities fight back - say "we've already given you this, and allow you to make millions off our city, no more".

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 01:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
110th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Famous Mortimer wrote: mike3775 wrote: There is nothing Selig will do but to allow it.

But I can see the MLBPA again filing a suit against Loria like they did a few years ago over his payroll, to force them to spend more


The only sensible option seems to be to boycott Marlins games, but ruining another city for baseball seems foolish (Loria did this to Montreal a few years back, lest we forget).

It's rotten at the top, for sure. The decisions need to have some input from the cities other than "how much money do you want not to move?" I'd also like to see one of the cities fight back - say "we've already given you this, and allow you to make millions off our city, no more".
The sensible thing would be for Selig and MLB to take control of the Marlins like they did the Dodgers and force a sale to go through to someone who will actually attempt to build a winning team.

I doubt Florida will ever have another sell out in that stadium any time soon after this trade, he basically killed the fanbase with it. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 02:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
111th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13299
Status: 
Offline
Selig and his flock of seagulls haircut won't do shit



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 03:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
112th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 15767
Status: 
Offline
Benlen wrote: Selig and his flock of seagulls haircut won't do shit

I saw highlights of his press conference yesterday, and holy shit, he looked like he just got out of bed.

Just awful.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 03:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
113th Post
Hymie Itsu



Joined: Mon Oct 10th, 2011
Location: Birthplace Of Dean Martin
Posts: 3174
Status: 
Offline
Colin Cowherd made a very good point about this yesterday on his show.

72 % of baseball tickets AREN'T bought by the public. They're bought by companies and given out. Unfortunately, there's not much that's going to be done about this.



____________________
Imagine a magical planet where people dont hang out on the Bouji board 24/7. ~ Portsalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 03:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
114th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Hymie Itsu wrote: Colin Cowherd made a very good point about this yesterday on his show.

72 % of baseball tickets AREN'T bought by the public. They're bought by companies and given out. Unfortunately, there's not much that's going to be done about this.
The thing is, look at the games at that stadium after June.  That place was empty for the most part.

Even if they sell every single ticket to businesses(which some businesses have been reported to have cancelled purchases this year over this in Florida) and give them away, the stadium will still be empty on TV

MLB needs to punish them by not giving them an All-Star Game until Loria is no longer the owner

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
115th Post
ChrisOTL

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1312
Status: 
Offline
ESPN Deportes is reporting the Toronto Blue Jays have signed free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 07:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
116th Post
lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43524
Status: 
Offline
Chris OtL wrote: ESPN Deportes is reporting the Toronto Blue Jays have signed free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

 

some details

The Toronto Blue Jays may have added another piece to their already large off-season haul.

According to a report on ESPNdeportes.com, the Jays have agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

The report on the Spanish language site indicates that Cabrera, a former member of the San Francisco Giants, has agreed to a deal that will pay him $16 million over two seasons.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 07:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
117th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote:
Chris OtL wrote: ESPN Deportes is reporting the Toronto Blue Jays have signed free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

 

some details

The Toronto Blue Jays may have added another piece to their already large off-season haul.

According to a report on ESPNdeportes.com, the Jays have agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

The report on the Spanish language site indicates that Cabrera, a former member of the San Francisco Giants, has agreed to a deal that will pay him $16 million over two seasons.


Do roids get no punishment

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 07:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
118th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13299
Status: 
Offline
Chris OtL wrote:
ESPN Deportes is reporting the Toronto Blue Jays have signed free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.
Damn. Was hoping he re-sign with the Giants. Giants would have given him a paycut tho.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
119th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
The Jays are going for it at the right time. The Yankees are an aging team on their last legs. The Orioles were very good last year but I have questions whether they can do it again. Tampa Bay loses more players every year. The Red Sox are trying to rebuild.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 08:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
120th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49723
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote: The Jays are going for it at the right time. The Yankees are an aging team on their last legs. The Orioles were very good last year but I have questions whether they can do it again. Tampa Bay loses more players every year. The Red Sox are trying to rebuild.

Agreed.  2013 could be their year.  If the Orioles could turn it around so quickly in a tough division, the Blue Jays can too.  I have serious questions about how a clean Melky will perform though.  That could be a really bad contract, and then they're screwed.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 02:35 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > 2013 MLB thread Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems