WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
2013 MLB thread  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 08:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
121st Post
lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43544
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: clawmaster wrote: The Jays are going for it at the right time. The Yankees are an aging team on their last legs. The Orioles were very good last year but I have questions whether they can do it again. Tampa Bay loses more players every year. The Red Sox are trying to rebuild.

Agreed.  2013 could be their year.  If the Orioles could turn it around so quickly in a tough division, the Blue Jays can too.  I have serious questions about how a clean Melky will perform though.  That could be a really bad contract, and then they're screwed.


 

The Jays went the cheap route again. Instead of trying to sign Josh Hamilton,
they sign MC.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 09:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
122nd Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49760
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: srossi wrote: clawmaster wrote: The Jays are going for it at the right time. The Yankees are an aging team on their last legs. The Orioles were very good last year but I have questions whether they can do it again. Tampa Bay loses more players every year. The Red Sox are trying to rebuild.

Agreed.  2013 could be their year.  If the Orioles could turn it around so quickly in a tough division, the Blue Jays can too.  I have serious questions about how a clean Melky will perform though.  That could be a really bad contract, and then they're screwed.


 

The Jays went the cheap route again. Instead of trying to sign Josh Hamilton,
they sign MC.

Hamilton comes with more baggage than Melky!  I don't blame them for that.  To sign Hamilton, you have to offer him way more years than is prudent for someone who could go off the rails any day.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 09:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
123rd Post
CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
Finally the mega deal between Toronto and Miami gets explained the right way:




____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 09:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
124th Post
ChrisOTL

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1312
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: lobo316 wrote:
Chris OtL wrote: ESPN Deportes is reporting the Toronto Blue Jays have signed free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

 

some details

The Toronto Blue Jays may have added another piece to their already large off-season haul.

According to a report on ESPNdeportes.com, the Jays have agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

The report on the Spanish language site indicates that Cabrera, a former member of the San Francisco Giants, has agreed to a deal that will pay him $16 million over two seasons.


Do roids get no punishment
He got a 50 game suspension.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2012 10:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
125th Post
lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43544
Status: 
Offline
The Red Sox confirmed that they have talked to Josh Hamilton, according to WEEI's Rob Bradford. A source told Bradford the club's interest in the 31-year-old outfielder was “overblown.”

There is plenty of speculation among those in the game that believe the Red Sox would be interested in Hamilton, as CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman explained on Thursday.

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington attempted to minimize the team's interest in Hamilton, saying they've reached out to every prominent free agent this offseason. He added that reaching out to Hamilton was “part of due diligence.” Now that the team has talked to most of the desirable players on the market, the front office will sort out which players are the best fits, according to Cherington. Cherington doesn't want to reveal his offseason plans, so downplaying the report could be a strategic move on his part.

The Brewers, Orioles and Braves could potentially get involved for Hamilton, according to Heyman. Bradford also added the Phillies and Mariners as teams that could be interested.

Hamilton hit .285/.354/.577 with 43 home runs for the Rangers last season. He's considered the best position player on the market this offseason.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2012 12:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
126th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Chris OtL wrote: mike3775 wrote: lobo316 wrote:
Chris OtL wrote: ESPN Deportes is reporting the Toronto Blue Jays have signed free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

 

some details

The Toronto Blue Jays may have added another piece to their already large off-season haul.

According to a report on ESPNdeportes.com, the Jays have agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

The report on the Spanish language site indicates that Cabrera, a former member of the San Francisco Giants, has agreed to a deal that will pay him $16 million over two seasons.


Do roids get no punishment
He got a 50 game suspension.
But how much did he lose in salary?  Not very much.  Hell he just made up with his signing.

MLB needs to make a suspension that is not laughable as a first time penalty

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2012 01:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
127th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 15781
Status: 
Online
srossi wrote:
That could be a really bad contract, and then they're screwed.

I dunno...only 2 years, and 8 mil per year doesn't seem *that* bad.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2012 01:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
128th Post
ChrisOTL

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1312
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote:
Chris OtL wrote: mike3775 wrote: lobo316 wrote:
Chris OtL wrote: ESPN Deportes is reporting the Toronto Blue Jays have signed free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

 

some details

The Toronto Blue Jays may have added another piece to their already large off-season haul.

According to a report on ESPNdeportes.com, the Jays have agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

The report on the Spanish language site indicates that Cabrera, a former member of the San Francisco Giants, has agreed to a deal that will pay him $16 million over two seasons.


Do roids get no punishment
He got a 50 game suspension.
But how much did he lose in salary?  Not very much.  Hell he just made up with his signing.

MLB needs to make a suspension that is not laughable as a first time penalty


It cost him quite a bit. He was going to win the NL batting title going into free agency. I'd wager that positive test cost him a 5 to 6 year contract between 12 & 14 million per season. He easily cost himself upwards of $40 million bucks.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2012 01:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
129th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13308
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote:
srossi wrote:
That could be a really bad contract, and then they're screwed.

I dunno...only 2 years, and 8 mil per year doesn't seem *that* bad.


I think 2 yrs is the key. They don't have to be stuck with him long term if he doesn't work out.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2012 01:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
130th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13308
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote:
Chris OtL wrote: mike3775 wrote: lobo316 wrote:
Chris OtL wrote: ESPN Deportes is reporting the Toronto Blue Jays have signed free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

 

some details

The Toronto Blue Jays may have added another piece to their already large off-season haul.

According to a report on ESPNdeportes.com, the Jays have agreed to a deal with free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.

The report on the Spanish language site indicates that Cabrera, a former member of the San Francisco Giants, has agreed to a deal that will pay him $16 million over two seasons.


Do roids get no punishment
He got a 50 game suspension.
But how much did he lose in salary?  Not very much.  Hell he just made up with his signing.



He probably would have gotten 12-15 mil per yr if he didn't get caught. He still got a raise tho. He made 6 mil last yr. 2 mil raise ain't bad for getting caught.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2012 01:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
131st Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13308
Status: 
Offline
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- The Oakland Athletics have traded right-hander Tyson Ross and minor league first baseman A.J. Kirby-Jones to the San Diego Padres for infielder Andy Parrino and left-hander Andrew Werner.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2012 01:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
132nd Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13308
Status: 
Offline
CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago Cubs have formally announced a one-year deal with former All-Star catcher Dioner Navarro.

The team announced the deal on Friday.

Navarro's salary for next season is $1.75 million. He could earn another 250,000 in performance bonuses.

The 28-year-old has spent all or part of the last nine seasons in the major leagues, playing for the Yankees, Dodgers, Rays and Reds. Last year, he split the season between Cincinnati and Triple-A, batting .290 with two home runs and 12 RBIs in 24 games with the Reds.

The switch-hitting Venezuelan was a 2008 All-Star with Tampa Bay.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2012 01:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
133rd Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13308
Status: 
Offline
ATLANTA (AP) -- The Atlanta Braves have agreed to a two-year deal with backup catcher Gerald Laird.

The 33-year-old Laird has appeared in the last two World Series. He played for the Detroit Tigers this past season, hitting .282 with two homers and 11 RBIs, and the St. Louis Cardinals in 2011.

The Braves targeted Laird after David Ross, who backed up Brian McCann the past four seasons, signed with the Boston Red Sox. McCann underwent shoulder surgery last month and could miss the first month of the 2013 season.

Laird has a lifetime average of .244 with 37 homers in 10 seasons. Financial terms of the deal have not been released.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2012 05:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
134th Post
CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
I'm not sure that this is legit but apparently this is a copy of a letter that the Mayor of Miami sent to Bud Selig
asking him to " carefully review " the big deal.




Last edited on Sat Nov 17th, 2012 05:22 am by CanadianHorseman



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Nov 17th, 2012 12:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
135th Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
Chris OtL wrote:
HBF wrote: Regarding the Jays-Marlins trade, this reminds me of the 1976 trade of Vida Blue and others that Bowie Kuhn voided. What is really different about this versus the shit that Loria just pulled?

Loria should be forced out as an owner.
They were sent shitloads of prospects?

I love how Yankee and Sox fans now have morals, and care about the integrity of the game, when its not them buying up talent.


The Yankees? My team does not have morals, much as any of the teams do. What I am referring to is a precedent that was vetoed and was very similar.

Loria should be forced out, morally, but legally there's nothing they can likely do. Miami just paid for a new stadium that will never be filled at the rate he and his lackey management are running that place. I know what he's thinking-we'll wash, rinse and repeat what we did twice before, but the lack of support in the community could possibly squash those chances before it ever came to fruition.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 06:24 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > 2013 MLB thread Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems