WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
NHL Season Thread  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 12:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
136th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/18/devils-re-sign-josefson-still-working-on-henrique-contract/

Devils re-sign Josefson; still working on Henrique contract

Jason Brough

Jul 18, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

The New Jersey Devils have re-signed restricted free agent Jacob Josefson to a one-year, $725,000 contract, according to The Record.

It’s a one-way deal for Josefson, suggesting he’ll be a regular in the line-up next season. The 20th overall pick in the 2009 draft, the 22-year-old forward had one goal and two assists in 22 games last year.

Meanwhile, New Jersey’s most important RFA, center Adam Henrique, remains unsigned.

From The Record:


Restricted free agent center Adam Henrique’s agent, John Thornton, said via email today he had “a long discussion” with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello last Friday in New Jersey and they’ve continued since then “trying to work out a fair deal for both sides.”

Although there was speculation that Henrique had agreed to terms already, Thornton said that is not true.

Lamoriello said Wednesday that it was his “target” to get the team’s restricted free agents re-signed by the end of this week.


Henrique, 23, had a tough sophomore season, registering just 16 points in 42 games, so it will be interesting to see what kind of deal the two sides hammer out.

Talked to Adam Henrique earlier today. Said he's "close" to re-signing, but it's not done yet. Sounds like length of deal is still TBD.—
Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) July 18, 2013



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 12:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
137th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/18/brown-kings-agree-to-eight-year-contract-extension/

Brown, Kings agree to eight-year contract extension

Jason Brough

Jul 18, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT

Kings captain Dustin Brown has agreed to an eight-year contract extension, the club announced today.

According to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston, the deal — a front-loaded one that Brown apparently negotiated himself — is worth $47 million total, garnering a cap hit of $5.875 million.

Brown, 28, still has one year left on his current contract, at a bargain cap hit of $3.175 million. The eight-year extension runs through the 2021-22 season.

Drafted 13th overall by Los Angeles in 2003, Brown has 388 points in 641 career NHL games and was a major contributor to his team’s Stanley Cup championship in 2012, scoring 20 points in 20 playoff games.

Dustin Brown's #LAKings contract breakdown: $7.25M, $7.25M, $7M, $6.5M, $5.5M, $5.5M, $4M and $4M.—
Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) July 18, 2013



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 12:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
138th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/18/avs-re-sign-duchene-five-years-30-million/

Avs re-sign Duchene: five years, $30 million

Mike Halford

Jul 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT

The Colorado Avalanche made a big splash on Thursday, signing Matt Duchene to a five-year contract extension.

According to Stephen Whyno of the Canadian Press, the deal is worth $30 million overall, good for an average annual cap hit of $6 million.

“Matt already is and will be a big part of our team’s nucleus for the long term,” Avs vice president Joe Sakic said in a statement. “We all felt that it was important for us to secure his rights for several seasons.

“With his great skills, speed and character, he represents the identity we want the Avalanche to be.”

Duchene, 22, has been arguably the face of the franchise since debuting as an 18-year-old in 2009-10.

As the Avs noted in their press release, he already ranks 30th on the franchise’s all-time scoring list with 193 points in 266 career games.

Last year, Duchene tied for the Avalanche scoring lead with 43 points, leading the club with 26 assists.

This new extension is likely a reward for the deal Duchene signed last June.

Eyebrows were raised when he inked a modest two-year, $7 million deal, but it now appears both club and player were on the same page, looking to ink a more lucrative extension down the road.

“In 2009, I was thrilled to have been selected by the Avalanche, my favorite team,” Duchene told the Avs website. “I have worn this uniform with pride in my first four professional seasons in Denver, and I appreciate the organization believing in me for the long-term future.”

With the signing, Duchene will become the club’s second-highest paid player — only Paul Stastny has a higher ($6.6 million) cap hit.

He’ll also be making slightly more than fellow 2009 draftee John Tavares (Tavares went first overall, Duchene third), as Tavares pulls an annual cap hit of $5.5 million on his six-year, $33 million deal.

Finally — it’ll be interesting to see how the Duchene deal affects Colorado’s future negotiations. Two big contracts are on the horizon, as both Ryan O’Reilly and Gabriel Landeskog are set to become RFAs in 2014-15.

O’Reilly made $10 million over two years on his last deal (thanks to Calgary’s offer sheet, which Colorado matched). Landeskog will be in the final year of his entry-level deal.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 12:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
139th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/18/isles-re-sign-hickey-two-years-1-35-million/

Isles re-sign Hickey: two years, $1.35 million

Mike Halford

Jul 18, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT

The New York Islanders have locked up another of their young defensemen, signing Thomas Hickey to a two-year, one-way deal worth $1.35 million.

The contract carries an average annual cap hit of $675,000, and is a good deal for both parties.

The Isles retain a 24-year-old blueliner who, in 2013, posted career highs in games played (39) and points (four) while making both his NHL regular-season and playoff debuts.

For Hickey, the deal gives him a chance to stick with the club that revived his NHL career.

The captain of Canada’s gold medal-winning Junior team from 2009, Hickey — the Kings’ No. 4 overall pick at the ’07 NHL Entry Draft — failed to make good on the promise that made him the first defenseman selected in his draft class (ahead of Karl Alzner, Ryan McDonagh and Kevin Shattenkirk.)

He spent the first four-plus seasons of his pro career playing for L.A.’s AHL affiliate in Manchester, as injuries and a deep Kings blueline kept him from making the jump to the NHL.

The Islanders claimed Hickey off waivers prior to the start of the 2013 campaign, and he responded with a solid effort.

He’ll likely play a bigger role in 2013-14, as the Isles lost the services of veteran captain Mark Streit and only have seven defensemen on the current active roster.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 12:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
140th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/18/oilers-bring-back-grebeshkov-from-khl/

Oilers bring back Grebeshkov from KHL

Mike Halford

Jul 18, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT

The Edmonton Oilers made a curious move on Thursday, signing defenseman Denis Grebeshkov to a one-year deal.

Grebeshkov, 29, played for the Oilers from 2007-10, followed by a brief stint in Nashville and a couple of years in the KHL with SKA Saint Petersburg and Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk, where he spent the 2012-13 campaign.

By all accounts, his time in Russia didn’t go well.

Grebeshkov, known as an offensive defenseman, didn’t score a goal in either of his last two seasons in the KHL, this despite appearing in 90 games.

So, why would Edmonton take a flier on someone that struggled playing overseas?

History, mostly.

Grebeshkov, the 18th overall pick at the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, enjoyed his finest NHL seasons with the Oilers, including a 2008-09 campaign where he posted a career-best 39 points and finished with a team-high +12 rating.

His coach during that season? None other than the new Oilers GM, Craig MacTavish.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 12:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
141st Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/18/winnipeg-postma-avoid-arbitration-with-new-deal/

Winnipeg, Postma avoid arbitration with two-year, $1.425 million deal

Mike Halford

Jul 18, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT

The Winnipeg Jets have avoided salary arbitration with another restricted free agent, agreeing to a new deal with defenseman Paul Postma.

According to the Winnipeg Sun, it’s a two-year deal worth $1.425 million — $650k next season, $775K in 2014-15.

Postma, 24, enjoyed a breakthrough campaign with the Jets in 2013, posting career highs in games (34), points (nine) and average time on ice (15:02).

The Jets were supposed to have an arbitration hearing with Postma on July 30th but, like with RFA forward Eric Tangradi, they avoided going that route by offering a new deal.

(Tangradi avoided arbitration by agreeing to a two-year, $1.35 million extension.)

Postma, a former WHL Calgary standout, played last season on a one-year, $550,000 deal.

His signing still leaves Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff with three significant arbitration hearings looming — Bryan Little, Blake Wheeler and Zach Bogosian.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 12:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
142nd Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/18/crosby-jaw-feels-good-but-still-requires-more-procedures/

Crosby: Jaw feels ‘good,’ requires more procedures

Mike Halford

Jul 18, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby still needs more work done on his broken jaw, but remains happy with his recovery overall.

“Jaw’s good,” Crosby told CTV. “I think I have to do some things once I get back to Pittsburgh, but pretty minor procedures and stuff that, hopefully, I really won’t have to worry about once I get it done.”

Crosby, 25, missed the final month of the regular season after taking a slapshot to the face on March 30. He returned to action for Game 2 of Pittsburgh’s opening-round playoff series against the Islanders, and wore a protective face shield for the opening two playoff rounds.

The Pens captain ditched the guard for the Eastern Conference finals against Boston — during which he was punched in the jaw by Bruins captain Zdeno Chara — but insisted his poor performance (zero points in four games) had nothing to do with the injury.

“It was pretty good,” he explained. “I got a couple of shots that didn’t feel great, but nothing that I felt hindered my play, anything less than anyone else was playing through at the time.

“So, I was really happy with the way it responded.”



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 12:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
143rd Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/07/16/ranking-the-desirability-of-all-30-nhl-destinations-to-unrestricted-free-agents/

Interesting article.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 12:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
144th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/18/crosby-jaw-feels-good-but-still-requires-more-procedures/

Crosby: Jaw feels ‘good,’ requires more procedures

Mike Halford

Jul 18, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby still needs more work done on his broken jaw, but remains happy with his recovery overall.

“Jaw’s good,” Crosby told CTV. “I think I have to do some things once I get back to Pittsburgh, but pretty minor procedures and stuff that, hopefully, I really won’t have to worry about once I get it done.”

Crosby, 25, missed the final month of the regular season after taking a slapshot to the face on March 30. He returned to action for Game 2 of Pittsburgh’s opening-round playoff series against the Islanders, and wore a protective face shield for the opening two playoff rounds.

The Pens captain ditched the guard for the Eastern Conference finals against Boston — during which he was punched in the jaw by Bruins captain Zdeno Chara — but insisted his poor performance (zero points in four games) had nothing to do with the injury.

“It was pretty good,” he explained. “I got a couple of shots that didn’t feel great, but nothing that I felt hindered my play, anything less than anyone else was playing through at the time.

“So, I was really happy with the way it responded.”


I could make a few smart-ass comments about Crosby's jaw, but I'll decline for now.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 12:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
145th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/18/winnipeg-postma-avoid-arbitration-with-new-deal/

Winnipeg, Postma avoid arbitration with two-year, $1.425 million deal

Mike Halford

Jul 18, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT

The Winnipeg Jets have avoided salary arbitration with another restricted free agent, agreeing to a new deal with defenseman Paul Postma.

According to the Winnipeg Sun, it’s a two-year deal worth $1.425 million — $650k next season, $775K in 2014-15.

Postma, 24, enjoyed a breakthrough campaign with the Jets in 2013, posting career highs in games (34), points (nine) and average time on ice (15:02).

The Jets were supposed to have an arbitration hearing with Postma on July 30th but, like with RFA forward Eric Tangradi, they avoided going that route by offering a new deal.

(Tangradi avoided arbitration by agreeing to a two-year, $1.35 million extension.)

Postma, a former WHL Calgary standout, played last season on a one-year, $550,000 deal.

His signing still leaves Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff with three significant arbitration hearings looming — Bryan Little, Blake Wheeler and Zach Bogosian.


Nice signing. I have Him in a keeper league that I'm in.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 01:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
146th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: clawmaster wrote:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/18/crosby-jaw-feels-good-but-still-requires-more-procedures/

Crosby: Jaw feels ‘good,’ requires more procedures

Mike Halford

Jul 18, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby still needs more work done on his broken jaw, but remains happy with his recovery overall.

“Jaw’s good,” Crosby told CTV. “I think I have to do some things once I get back to Pittsburgh, but pretty minor procedures and stuff that, hopefully, I really won’t have to worry about once I get it done.”

Crosby, 25, missed the final month of the regular season after taking a slapshot to the face on March 30. He returned to action for Game 2 of Pittsburgh’s opening-round playoff series against the Islanders, and wore a protective face shield for the opening two playoff rounds.

The Pens captain ditched the guard for the Eastern Conference finals against Boston — during which he was punched in the jaw by Bruins captain Zdeno Chara — but insisted his poor performance (zero points in four games) had nothing to do with the injury.

“It was pretty good,” he explained. “I got a couple of shots that didn’t feel great, but nothing that I felt hindered my play, anything less than anyone else was playing through at the time.

“So, I was really happy with the way it responded.”


I could make a few smart-ass comments about Crosby's jaw, but I'll decline for now.

I can start with an oldie but a goodie. Cindy Crosby.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 05:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
147th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43131
Status: 
Offline
The NHL is realigning for the 2013-14 season, and with a six-division league being trimmed down to four divisions, the league had to make changes to those division names. After much speculation, the four division names will keep a geographical bent ... sort of.

The Pacific, Central and Atlantic Divisions are all traditional and what we're used to, but Metropolitan Division is a bit of a curveball. Indeed, the three New York-area teams are in a metropolitan area ... and uh, I guess maybe you could lump Philadelphia in there too. Washington if you're pushing it. But Columbus, Pittsburgh and Carolina are in no way in the same metropolitan area, so it's a bit weird and a lot of people will make jokes about it.

The NHL had a tough problem to solve in naming the four divisions, especially since they've been set on using geographically-based names. Florida and Tampa Bay in a division with Boston and Montreal, for example, makes it hard to create a division name based on geography. This is apparently their solution.

 

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/7/19/4538618/nhl-division-names-realignment-2013-2014

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 05:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
148th Post
CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote:
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/07/16/ranking-the-desirability-of-all-30-nhl-destinations-to-unrestricted-free-agents/

Interesting article.


It's funny because Boston would be near the bottom if this was about NBA Free Agents.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 06:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
149th Post
CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote:
clawmaster wrote:


The Winnipeg Jets have avoided salary arbitration with another restricted free agent, agreeing to a new deal with defenseman Paul Postma.


Nice signing. I have Him in a keeper league that I'm in.


Was every other NHL player already picked when you took him ????



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jul 19th, 2013 06:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
150th Post
clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/19/kings-nolan-avoid-arbitration-with-two-year-1-4-million-deal/

Kings, Nolan avoid arbitration with two-year, $1.4 million deal

Mike Halford

Jul 19, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT

The Los Angeles Kings and Jordan Nolan won’t be going to arbitration after all.

On Friday, the club announced it had re-upped with Nolan on a two-year, $1.4 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $700,000.

The deal represents a slight pay bump for the 24-year-old, who was making $531,666 on his last deal and had a salary arbitration hearing scheduled for Aug. 1.

Nolan, who broke onto the scene in L.A. during the 2011-12 season, appeared in a career-high 44 games last season while notching six points, averaging 8:28 TOI per game.

He was in and out of the Kings’ lineup during the postseason, playing in seven of 18 games (three vs. St. Louis, three vs. San Jose and one vs. Chicago.)

Nolan is one of Los Angeles’ most active tough guys — he fought a team-high six times in ’13 — and his re-signing, along with the midweek acquisition of Dan Carcillo, could prove interesting for Kyle Clifford.

Clifford, another rugged forward, is currently a RFA but doesn’t have arbitration rights.

The Kings are fairly tight up against the cap and may considering moving him, considering Clifford will probably be looking for a raise on the $870,000 he made last season.



____________________
"We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls
We are the priests
Of the temples of syrinx
All the gifts of life
Are held within our walls" 2112 By Rush!!
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 06:12 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > NHL Season Thread Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems