WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Cubs Giving Steve Bartman A World Series Ring

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Cubs Giving Steve Bartman A World Series Ring  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jul 31st, 2017 06:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 37573
Status: 
Offline
...

Attachment: Bartman.jpg (Downloaded 55 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 31st, 2017 06:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
martini
Sunny's White Knight


Joined: Fri Aug 13th, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3577
Status: 
Offline
I believe he is still banned from field level seating.



____________________
Shaken, but not stirred.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 31st, 2017 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
DJP

 

Joined: Wed Jul 1st, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 582
Status: 
Offline
Classy move after everything he s been through.



____________________
I live alone. I train alone. I'll win the title alone.

-Clubber Lang
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 31st, 2017 07:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6281
Status: 
Offline
It's the least they could do..glad he's getting this, always felt sorry for the guy..



____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 31st, 2017 07:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New Capital For Suplex City
Posts: 40646
Status: 
Offline
Looks like a WWE title belt.




Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jul 31st, 2017 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 43704
Status: 
Offline
martini wrote: I believe he is still banned from field level seating.
Not true at all.  The Cubs have repeatedly encouraged Bartman to see another game from that seat.  He doesn't want to.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Aug 1st, 2017 02:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
martini
Sunny's White Knight


Joined: Fri Aug 13th, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3577
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: martini wrote: I believe he is still banned from field level seating.
Not true at all.  The Cubs have repeatedly encouraged Bartman to see another game from that seat.  He doesn't want to.

I've never seen anything from a reputable source of the team offering him the same seat prior to the World Series win.

I know of them inviting him back prior to the World Series win, but not of offering him the same seat.

Personally, the guy and all seven or eight of the others who made a play on that ball all should've been thrown from the park that night and that should've been the end of it.

Fox shouldn't have kept going back to a shot of him. It's kind of like when a fan runs in at the WWE. If it's caught on camera to begin with you can't do anything about it, but you don't have to stay on it.

And Bartman certainly doesn't deserve a World Series ring nor did he deserve the hatred spewed towards him. The guy made a mistake. His self-imposed exile probably didn't help his cause either. A guy interferes with a play and then disappears of the map for the next 14 years.

In my mind, it did cost the team an out, but it didn't cause Alex Gonzalez to miss a routine ground ball.



____________________
Shaken, but not stirred.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 1st, 2017 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 3505
Status: 
Offline
It was largely empty threats, but the guy had angry strangers harassing him by phone, by email, by text, and in person. He also didn't want to be seen as capitalizing on his infamy. So even though he's gone to an extreme in his desire to have no public profile, and I agree it's probably made him more mysterious and thus an alluring story and target, I can hardly blame him for wanting to avoid anything to do with that moment. As for him getting a ring, what does deserving a ring mean in the big picture? They're not as fancy as the ones the players get, but people in the ticket office and the grounds crew get rings. The Cubs didn't do enough in the early days after the incident to make it clear that the ball was unplayable for Moises Alou and let Bartman take the heat. So they owe him one and this is a nice way to pay that debt.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Aug 3rd, 2017 02:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
BuddyPSHayes



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Anywhere I Damn Well Please
Posts: 3666
Status: 
Offline



____________________


"The only area I can think of to avoid in Houston is Houston." - srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Aug 3rd, 2017 02:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
martini
Sunny's White Knight


Joined: Fri Aug 13th, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3577
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: It was largely empty threats, but the guy had angry strangers harassing him by phone, by email, by text, and in person. He also didn't want to be seen as capitalizing on his infamy. So even though he's gone to an extreme in his desire to have no public profile, and I agree it's probably made him more mysterious and thus an alluring story and target, I can hardly blame him for wanting to avoid anything to do with that moment. As for him getting a ring, what does deserving a ring mean in the big picture? They're not as fancy as the ones the players get, but people in the ticket office and the grounds crew get rings. The Cubs didn't do enough in the early days after the incident to make it clear that the ball was unplayable for Moises Alou and let Bartman take the heat. So they owe him one and this is a nice way to pay that debt.
I don't blame the Cubs as much as I blame Fox Sports for that situation snowballing. They kept cutting the camera to him that evening IIRC.

Then, the media identified the guy. They deserve a lot of the blame for the fallout.

The incident itself pretty much all falls on Bartman. If he doesn't reach for that ball, he certainly doesn't catch any flack. Someone else in that section might have, but he is certainly relieved of it. Of course, he doesn't get a World Series ring either in that scenario, does he?


Last edited on Thu Aug 3rd, 2017 02:59 pm by martini



____________________
Shaken, but not stirred.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 07:34 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Cubs Giving Steve Bartman A World Series Ring Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems