WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Has The NFL Become The CFL?

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Has The NFL Become The CFL?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 4th, 2018 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
srossi
Mr Monday Night!
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 46751
Status: 
Offline
Ultimark wrote: srossi wrote: Ultimark wrote: beejmi wrote: Rule changes  favor the offense constantly now bc of the popularity of fantasy football. Just my opinion.
100% agree.  There is a huge amount of money involved and fantasy football keeps people watching.  That equals ad revenue. 

It has just as much to do with injuries and trying to prolong the careers of stars, and keep public pressure regarding CTE at bay. 
Which goes back to lawsuits which goes right back to money.

Well it's more than money.  The league can't continue to exist as it has in the past, period.  You can't have half a dozen ex-players killing themselves or others every year, and dozens more in their 50s who are slowly becoming vegetables and speaking out about it.   



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 5th, 2018 02:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9151
Status: 
Offline
The league will survive but the popularity will dwindle as it continues to water down the hits and invoke more frivolous rules.

Last edited on Fri Oct 5th, 2018 02:16 am by Papa Voo

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 5th, 2018 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Erick Von Erich

 

Joined: Thu Mar 26th, 2015
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 412
Status: 
Offline
It'll still have some popularity, as long as there are sports bars that are open on Sundays.

I grew up a huge football fan (at all levels) and I even coached high school for 2 years. Yet I started to drift away from football in 2009 or so. I used to be able to name the QB, top WRs, RBs and Defensive Stud for each team.

I've probably babbled about this before, but around that 2009 time, I thought things hit rock bottom, when I saw an on-screen crawl that the JETS kicker was 1-1 on his extra points. Total catering to Fantasy Football, which I can't stand. "Hey, did your team win?" "Don't know, don't care. Started Drew Brees and he had 4 TDs"

Personally, for me, I've also lost interest because running backs seem to have been de-emphasized. I liked the old "franchise RB", but I think the Patriots have led to avoiding that. I'm really having trouble trying to remember one RB from the Patriots Super Bowl teams of the 2000's. Maybe Antowain Smith..but that name doesn't evoke greatness, a la Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith or even Christian Okoye.

I love blocking, watching holes open up, and RBs zipping through them. I don't seem to see that a lot in the NFL. Instead, I see a lot of shotgun formations on 1st down. I want to see RBs in Slow Motion, while narrated by NFL films. I'm not into seeing Julian Edelman catch an 8 yard pass in the flat in slo-mo.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 5th, 2018 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4003
Status: 
Offline
The interpretation and enforcement of the new roughing the passer rule is a bigger problem than the rule itself, not to mention how fans and the media perceive it. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, a defensive player could grab the QB's arm or jersey while the QB was still actively moving, making a play, and having an opportunity to escape, but the play would be blown dead as a sack via the now overturned "in the grasp" rule. I'll maintain that today's players are bigger, stronger, faster, and hit harder than ever before. Even if you watch a game from the early 1990s, everything seems a split second off and the hits not quite as intense although certainly hard and damaging. The roughing the passer rule, which players will adapt to and which will likely get tweaked to some extent by 2019, doesn't negate that.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2018 04:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: D-ville
Posts: 2791
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote:The interpretation and enforcement of the new roughing the passer rule is a bigger problem than the rule itself, not to mention how fans and the media perceive it. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, a defensive player could grab the QB's arm or jersey while the QB was still actively moving, making a play, and having an opportunity to escape, but the play would be blown dead as a sack via the now overturned "in the grasp" rule. I'll maintain that today's players are bigger, stronger, faster, and hit harder than ever before. Even if you watch a game from the early 1990s, everything seems a split second off and the hits not quite as intense although certainly hard and damaging. The roughing the passer rule, which players will adapt to and which will likely get tweaked to some extent by 2019, doesn't negate that.
No question that today’s athletes are all around better athletes but I don’t see how you can say games from the early 90’s seem off. I’ve seen plenty of games recently from 88-95 that have big hits. You can point out plenty of silly things like the old school toilet seat neck rolls, loose jerseys, giant shoulder pads, kelso’s weird helmet, fullbacks, basic offensive and defensive schemes compared to today but people were hitting. 

I won’t drag this thread down by going all old man and complaining about everything and why I no longer watch current football but if they want to protect the quarterbacks and give the pass rush a fair shake they should eliminate tackling the qb and make it touch or grasp until the qb crosses the line of scrimmage. 

Last edited on Sat Oct 6th, 2018 04:45 am by Franchise



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2018 04:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Franchise
Low key big hog


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: D-ville
Posts: 2791
Status: 
Offline
Erick Von Erich wrote:It'll still have some popularity, as long as there are sports bars that are open on Sundays.

I grew up a huge football fan (at all levels) and I even coached high school for 2 years. Yet I started to drift away from football in 2009 or so. I used to be able to name the QB, top WRs, RBs and Defensive Stud for each team.

I've probably babbled about this before, but around that 2009 time, I thought things hit rock bottom, when I saw an on-screen crawl that the JETS kicker was 1-1 on his extra points. Total catering to Fantasy Football, which I can't stand. "Hey, did your team win?" "Don't know, don't care. Started Drew Brees and he had 4 TDs"

Personally, for me, I've also lost interest because running backs seem to have been de-emphasized. I liked the old "franchise RB", but I think the Patriots have led to avoiding that. I'm really having trouble trying to remember one RB from the Patriots Super Bowl teams of the 2000's. Maybe Antowain Smith..but that name doesn't evoke greatness, a la Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith or even Christian Okoye.

I love blocking, watching holes open up, and RBs zipping through them. I don't seem to see that a lot in the NFL. Instead, I see a lot of shotgun formations on 1st down. I want to see RBs in Slow Motion, while narrated by NFL films. I'm not into seeing Julian Edelman catch an 8 yard pass in the flat in slo-mo.

You are a man after my own heart; growing up a niner fan I loved seeing Montana toss touchdowns but watching Craig and Rathman in the backfield was a thing of beauty. My neighbors and I would watch every game we could and lose our minds watching Rathman take a lineman or linebacker on head up and then seeing Craig scoot by. 

My friends and I probably watched that thunder and destruction nfl tape a thousand times; Ronnie Lott blasting people and Steve Atwater pissing all over okoye. 

I recently saw back to back plays from the GB v Giants game from 92 with Cecil knocking Meggetts dick in the dirt and felt a love for football I haven’t felt in a long time 



____________________
"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2018 02:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 39869
Status: 
Offline
Like baseball, 'analytics' is creeping into football.

Average yards per rush 4.2

Average yards per pass 7.0

Why run - ever?

Let me know when your arm is about to fall off Mr QB and that's when we'll run

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2018 09:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4003
Status: 
Offline
You run because it's a higher percentage play. The old Woody Hayes quote was "Three things can happen with a pass and two of them (incomplete, interception) are bad." If a guy runs, you're likely getting your 4.2 yards or whatever the average is for a particular team. If you throw, INTs aside, there is a decent chance the ball will land incomplete.

Last edited on Sun Oct 7th, 2018 09:08 pm by tamalie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2018 01:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
TerryWWWF



Joined: Mon Nov 26th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4313
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: Like baseball, 'analytics' is creeping into football.

Average yards per rush 4.2

Average yards per pass 7.0

Why run - ever?
Run when you have a lead and you're trying to eat the clock.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2018 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
BItterOldMan

 

Joined: Thu Jun 30th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 55
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: Like baseball, 'analytics' is creeping into football.

Average yards per rush 4.2

Average yards per pass 7.0

Why run - ever?

Let me know when your arm is about to fall off Mr QB and that's when we'll run
Run to keep your offensive lineman happy, after dropping back and absorbing punishment play after play they need to go knock someone on their ass every so often.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 09:43 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Has The NFL Become The CFL? Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems