WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Winery Dogs  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 27th, 2013 07:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7761
Status: 
Offline
Holy Shit!! Has anyone heard the debut S/T album from these guys? Richie Kotzen, Billy Sheehan, and Mike Portnoy. I am not a fan of Sheehan and absolutely hate Portnoy but this band hits it on all cylinders. Kotzen sounds like Chris Cornell before Chris blew his pipes out. Real rock and roll done by veterans. Great songs and nobody overplays to get themselves over. They play to the song and put the song first. I will get excited about one new band every decade or so (last time was Audioslave and we see how that turned out). Check out the album opener Elevate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnMBix9Zq5o




____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 27th, 2013 09:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
carlton st

 

Joined: Sat Oct 27th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1195
Status: 
Offline
Sounds good, does sound a bit like Cornell , think it was his first album for Shrapnel - awesome with Steve Smith on Drums and Stu Hamm on bass.....always a big fan of Sheehan good to see these guys still putting out some quality music



____________________


Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 27th, 2013 09:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53326
Status: 
Offline
Eddie Trunk's been pushing them hard so anyone who listens to his shows will be familiar. I live the sound, although I liked Adrenaline Mob more (Portnoy's last side project). Been a fan of Kotzen's work for many years too. Really good stuff.

And I also absolutely loved Audioslave, a million times more than I ever liked Rage or Soundgarden.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 27th, 2013 10:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7761
Status: 
Offline
I thought Audioslaves debut album was one of the top 50 of all time. RATM and Soundgarden were spotty but when they were on it was pure brilliance.

Rossi, Winery Dogs are in Brazil right now but I think they're playing B.B. Kings next Saturday. Since I started this thread a few hours ago, I listened to the album beginning to end again. Just great stuff. Even the lyrics are good.



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 28th, 2013 02:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Portalesman
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 7811
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote:
Rossi, Winery Dogs are in Brazil right now but I think they're playing B.B. Kings next Saturday.

 

 

When do they play MSG?



____________________
http://www.wrestlingfanssuck.com

Sixk of Portalsman and he is a total fucking loser and mark for himself. A bore. Dude has never been laid in his life.

Total piece of garbage and a reason I have left wrestling forums. drdelaware
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jul 28th, 2013 02:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 7164
Status: 
Offline
Portalesman wrote: WongLee wrote:
Rossi, Winery Dogs are in Brazil right now but I think they're playing B.B. Kings next Saturday.

 

 

When do they play MSG?


They're playing Jones Beach first.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jul 28th, 2013 02:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53326
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote:
Rossi, Winery Dogs are in Brazil right now but I think they're playing B.B. Kings next Saturday. Since I started this thread a few hours ago, I listened to the album beginning to end again. Just great stuff. Even the lyrics are good.

Will still be in California. The only concert I'm going to this week is Steel Panther on the Sunset Strip.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2014 05:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53326
Status: 
Offline
Finally got to see them at B.B. King's last night.  As good as the album is, it doesn't come close to doing them justice.  It's almost an insult to call them a rock band, they're almost a jazz band that plays rock.  I've never seen a tighter, more complementary 3-piece in my life.  Portnoy is a monster on the drums, Kotzen is an incredible guitarist and soulful vocalist, and Sheehan might be the best bassist I've ever seen, but no one overshadows anyone else or shows off with solos, it's all about coming together for the song, and to say it sounds incredible would be an understatement.  They did their entire album and a few covers including an amazing Motown cover of "I'll Be There" of all things that had the crowd dancing like I've never seen at a rock show before.  It's probably one of the top 10 shows I've ever seen.  I believe that musically The Winery Dogs are the greatest live 3-piece band that's ever been assembled.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2014 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6999
Status: 
Offline
as good as they are I'd never put them even close to Cream..THAT was the greatest live and studio 3-piece band ever assembled..



____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2014 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7761
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Finally got to see them at B.B. King's last night.  As good as the album is, it doesn't come close to doing them justice.  It's almost an insult to call them a rock band, they're almost a jazz band that plays rock.  I've never seen a tighter, more complementary 3-piece in my life.  Portnoy is a monster on the drums, Kotzen is an incredible guitarist and soulful vocalist, and Sheehan might be the best bassist I've ever seen, but no one overshadows anyone else or shows off with solos, it's all about coming together for the song, and to say it sounds incredible would be an understatement.  They did their entire album and a few covers including an amazing Motown cover of "I'll Be There" of all things that had the crowd dancing like I've never seen at a rock show before.  It's probably one of the top 10 shows I've ever seen.  I believe that musically The Winery Dogs are the greatest live 3-piece band that's ever been assembled.Glad you had a good time. I've seen them twice so far. The first U.S. show they ever did last summer at B.B Kings as well as later in the year in Patchogue. I wrote my review of last years show on here and while I am a total nut swinger of this band, I will stand by my perception that Richie Kotzen has the charisma of hobo ejaculate. Sheehan and Portnoy more than make up for it and the songs are so strong it can hold up a less than flashy frontman. My other concern is that this is their 2nd U.S. tour and they are still playing tiny clubs. B.B.'s is a good spot in Manhattan but I would have hoped they would have graduated to an Irving Plaza type venue.

Now some questions for Rossi. How was the crowd? Did it look like it was sold out? Did Eddie Trunk get his fat ass up on stage to fellate the band. Did they open with Elevate and close with Shy Boy?



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2014 07:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53326
Status: 
Offline
WongLee wrote: srossi wrote: Finally got to see them at B.B. King's last night.  As good as the album is, it doesn't come close to doing them justice.  It's almost an insult to call them a rock band, they're almost a jazz band that plays rock.  I've never seen a tighter, more complementary 3-piece in my life.  Portnoy is a monster on the drums, Kotzen is an incredible guitarist and soulful vocalist, and Sheehan might be the best bassist I've ever seen, but no one overshadows anyone else or shows off with solos, it's all about coming together for the song, and to say it sounds incredible would be an understatement.  They did their entire album and a few covers including an amazing Motown cover of "I'll Be There" of all things that had the crowd dancing like I've never seen at a rock show before.  It's probably one of the top 10 shows I've ever seen.  I believe that musically The Winery Dogs are the greatest live 3-piece band that's ever been assembled.Glad you had a good time. I've seen them twice so far. The first U.S. show they ever did last summer at B.B Kings as well as later in the year in Patchogue. I wrote my review of last years show on here and while I am a total nut swinger of this band, I will stand by my perception that Richie Kotzen has the charisma of hobo ejaculate. Sheehan and Portnoy more than make up for it and the songs are so strong it can hold up a less than flashy frontman. My other concern is that this is their 2nd U.S. tour and they are still playing tiny clubs. B.B.'s is a good spot in Manhattan but I would have hoped they would have graduated to an Irving Plaza type venue.

Now some questions for Rossi. How was the crowd? Did it look like it was sold out? Did Eddie Trunk get his fat ass up on stage to fellate the band. Did they open with Elevate and close with Shy Boy?


I think Kotzen is great for this band.  They don't need a flashy showman, no one overshadows anyone else, they all blend together perfectly.  I don't want Kotzen going all Eddie Van Halen out there.  He's a blues frontman more than a rock frontman, and that works for this band.  He can do flashy stuff on the guitar and chooses not to in this band, and his vocals sneak up on you but I think they're powerful, and they must be to remember them with all the great playing going on around them. 

I don't expect much commercially from the Dogs, so I'm not concerned about venue size.  I would also disagree that Irving Plaza is a big step up from King's.  I consider them comparable, although technically I'm sure Irving can hold a few hundred more fans.  But lots of name rock acts play King's.  Portnoy's last side project, Adrenaline Mob, which I also loved but not this much, was stuck playing the Marlin Room at Webster Hall, so Portnoy's certainly having more success with the Dogs, but it's not going to be even Dream Theater, much less Metallica, commercially.  I've accepted that and I'm sure he has too.  They're having fun and creating great music.

As for your questions, crowd was good but not quite sold out.  Could've jammed a few dozen more people in there, but they're playing again there tonight so maybe that split the crowd a bit.  Eddue Trunk's name was on the ticket but he was a no-show.  Not sure why he didn't introduce them, maybe ran into a conflict, but he wasn't there.  They did open with Elevate (which I think they should save for the encore) and close with Shy Boy.  I imagine similar setlist that they did last year except the cover songs and one new one that they said they just completed for the 2nd album.  I will post the setlist when I get my notes together after work, because I kept track.  I remember they broke into Hendrix's "Hey Joe" at one point.  Portnoy's drum solo was very brief but Sheehan's bass solo was long and spectacular.  Kotzen didn't solo, he just sang an original acoustic song by himself.  Don't laugh, but I would not at all have been opposed to him doing a Poison song off of the one album he was on, because that was a kick-ass blues rock album and sounded NOTHING like anything else Poison ever did before or after.  I know pre-Dogs, Kotzen has broken out some Poison stuff before so he's not opposed to playing it despite how rocky that relationship was.  And I'd rather hear him sing blues than Bret Michaels any day. 

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention that Tony Harnell of TNT and guitarist Virus from the Broadway version of Rock of Ages opened with a really strong 2-man acoustic set, and for the last 3 songs Harnell called up this young smoking hot chick named Rachel something to do duets with him.  He said she's about to release a single with Pitbull and will blow up.  Her voice was amazing.  And Harnell still has the pipes too. 

Last edited on Wed Mar 26th, 2014 07:31 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2014 07:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
WongLee
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Fri Oct 19th, 2007
Location: Coram, New York
Posts: 7761
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: WongLee wrote: srossi wrote: Finally got to see them at B.B. King's last night.  As good as the album is, it doesn't come close to doing them justice.  It's almost an insult to call them a rock band, they're almost a jazz band that plays rock.  I've never seen a tighter, more complementary 3-piece in my life.  Portnoy is a monster on the drums, Kotzen is an incredible guitarist and soulful vocalist, and Sheehan might be the best bassist I've ever seen, but no one overshadows anyone else or shows off with solos, it's all about coming together for the song, and to say it sounds incredible would be an understatement.  They did their entire album and a few covers including an amazing Motown cover of "I'll Be There" of all things that had the crowd dancing like I've never seen at a rock show before.  It's probably one of the top 10 shows I've ever seen.  I believe that musically The Winery Dogs are the greatest live 3-piece band that's ever been assembled.Glad you had a good time. I've seen them twice so far. The first U.S. show they ever did last summer at B.B Kings as well as later in the year in Patchogue. I wrote my review of last years show on here and while I am a total nut swinger of this band, I will stand by my perception that Richie Kotzen has the charisma of hobo ejaculate. Sheehan and Portnoy more than make up for it and the songs are so strong it can hold up a less than flashy frontman. My other concern is that this is their 2nd U.S. tour and they are still playing tiny clubs. B.B.'s is a good spot in Manhattan but I would have hoped they would have graduated to an Irving Plaza type venue.

Now some questions for Rossi. How was the crowd? Did it look like it was sold out? Did Eddie Trunk get his fat ass up on stage to fellate the band. Did they open with Elevate and close with Shy Boy?


I think Kotzen is great for this band.  They don't need a flashy showman, no one overshadows anyone else, they all blend together perfectly.  I don't want Kotzen going all Eddie Van Halen out there.  He's a blues frontman more than a rock frontman, and that works for this band.  He can do flashy stuff on the guitar and chooses not to in this band, and his vocals sneak up on you but I think they're powerful, and they must be to remember them with all the great playing going on around them. 

I don't expect much commercially from the Dogs, so I'm not concerned about venue size.  I would also disagree that Irving Plaza is a big step up from King's.  I consider them comparable, although technically I'm sure Irving can hold a few hundred more fans.  But lots of name rock acts play King's.  Portnoy's last side project, Adrenaline Mob, which I also loved but not this much, was stuck playing the Marlin Room at Webster Hall, so Portnoy's certainly having more success with the Dogs, but it's not going to be even Dream Theater, much less Metallica, commercially.  I've accepted that and I'm sure he has too.  They're having fun and creating great music.

As for your questions, crowd was good but not quite sold out.  Could've jammed a few dozen more people in there, but they're playing again there tonight so maybe that split the crowd a bit.  Eddue Trunk's name was on the ticket but he was a no-show.  Not sure why he didn't introduce them, maybe ran into a conflict, but he wasn't there.  They did open with Elevate (which I think they should save for the encore) and close with Shy Boy.  I imagine similar setlist that they did last year except the cover songs and one new one that they said they just completed for the 2nd album.  I will post the setlist when I get my notes together after work, because I kept track.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention that Tony Harnell of TNT and guitarist Virus from the Broadway version of Rock of Ages opened with a really strong 2-man acoustic set, and for the last 3 songs Harnell called up this young smoking hot chick named Rachel something to do duets with him.  He said she's about to release a single with Pitbull and will blow up.  Her voice was amazing.  And Harnell still has the pipes too. 

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about the bands success or lack thereof. I guess I'm a dinosaur and would love to see a NEW heavy, hard rocking band climb up the ladder to eventually headline hockey arenas and stadiums. Yes, I'm fully aware that this is not the 70's and the music business doesn't work that way anymore. I'm also aware that this type of music has been basically reduced to a niche. Within 10 years or so all the "heavy" bands that have been touring incessantly for 35 years will be off the road for good. KISS, Aerosmith, Cheap Trick, AC/DC will be dead and gone. I'd love to see some "new" guys with staying power fill that gap. That was my hope for the WD. 



____________________
by the blood of jesus i rebuke you ,you foul mouth lying satan jesusjesus hallelujah,halleujah be gone you evil spirit

BJWINDHAM MULLIGAN
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2014 09:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6999
Status: 
Offline
Check out "Rival Sons", they're less than 5 years old, out of Fontana and they're like the Black Keys if they rocked out 100% of the time.



____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2014 09:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6999
Status: 
Offline




____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2014 09:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 53326
Status: 
Offline
Married Jo wrote: Check out "Rival Sons", they're less than 5 years old, out of Fontana and they're like the Black Keys if they rocked out 100% of the time.
Saw them open for someone at a small club, can't remember who.  That's Joe Perry's sons, right?

Edit: Nevermind, I saw TAB The Band live (several times actually), and that's the band with Perry's sons.  I've never seen Rival Sons, although I've heard their singles on TWC's music station.  I always get those bands mixed up for some reason.

Last edited on Wed Mar 26th, 2014 09:53 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 04:28 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Winery Dogs Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems