WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Gord Downie has terminal cancer

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gord Downie has terminal cancer  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 18th, 2017 09:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
retroken



Joined: Tue Jan 8th, 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1905
Status: 
Offline
RIP Gord,

plenty of us up here in the border states know very well who he was and his impact on Canadian music and culture

for the uninitiated, check out the Tragically Hip at Woodstock 1999 in Rome NY, where a bunch of crazed Canadian fans descend on the stage - Tragically Hip's performance is mesmerizing as always
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1199&v=lcK1P491lmk

Last edited on Wed Oct 18th, 2017 09:41 pm by retroken

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 18th, 2017 11:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
ChrisOTL

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1312
Status: 
Offline
KGB wrote: Gord Downie passes away at the age of 53.  It's easily the biggest story today on Canadian media.  Toronto's sports radio, the FAN590, has spent much of the morning talking about Gord.  The band had strong ties with the hockey community, in fact Gord's godfather is former Boston Bruins GM Harry Sinden.  Toronto rock stations are, predictably, leaning heavily on The Hip canon today.
 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gord-downie-obit-1.4359906
Boom 97.3 hasn't played anything but Hip songs since about 9:00 this morning. 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 19th, 2017 12:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4298
Status: 
Offline
I've heard of The Tragically Hip forever and remember seeing some of their videos when we got MuchMusic. At what point did they go from being just another fairly popular band to being a major part of Canadian culture? For instance, Tom Petty had a big following from the late 1970s into the 1980s, but didn't go supernova until "Full Moon Fever". U2 was on the rise throughout the 1980s, but "The Joshua Tree" took them to another level. What is The Tragically Hip's equivalent album, song or moment?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 19th, 2017 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
the squared circle
Mr Hockey


Joined: Thu Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7721
Status: 
Offline
RIP

Only saw them once, opening for Rush at the Gardens in 1991.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziOZpxbvgZI
Here's a very brief clip of them performing Limelight.

Even though we all knew the end was coming, today is a sad day.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 19th, 2017 04:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 1147
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: I've heard of The Tragically Hip forever and remember seeing some of their videos when we got MuchMusic. At what point did they go from being just another fairly popular band to being a major part of Canadian culture? For instance, Tom Petty had a big following from the late 1970s into the 1980s, but didn't go supernova until "Full Moon Fever". U2 was on the rise throughout the 1980s, but "The Joshua Tree" took them to another level. What is The Tragically Hip's equivalent album, song or moment?
It was the fall '92 release of their third major label album Fully Completely.  They'd been steadily making their mark for a few years, but that album was one of those works of art that just perfectly captured the zeitgeist of that era.  Roughly 10 of the 12 tracks from the album have established themselves as staples of both alternative and classic rock stations in Canada (and select border towns). 



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 19th, 2017 07:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
ChrisOTL wrote: KGB wrote: Gord Downie passes away at the age of 53.  It's easily the biggest story today on Canadian media.  Toronto's sports radio, the FAN590, has spent much of the morning talking about Gord.  The band had strong ties with the hockey community, in fact Gord's godfather is former Boston Bruins GM Harry Sinden.  Toronto rock stations are, predictably, leaning heavily on The Hip canon today.
 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gord-downie-obit-1.4359906
Boom 97.3 hasn't played anything but Hip songs since about 9:00 this morning. 

They broke up their usual block of Gowan and Chilliwack.

Last edited on Thu Oct 19th, 2017 07:10 am by LAF

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 19th, 2017 05:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 1147
Status: 
Offline
LAF wrote: ChrisOTL wrote: KGB wrote: Gord Downie passes away at the age of 53.  It's easily the biggest story today on Canadian media.  Toronto's sports radio, the FAN590, has spent much of the morning talking about Gord.  The band had strong ties with the hockey community, in fact Gord's godfather is former Boston Bruins GM Harry Sinden.  Toronto rock stations are, predictably, leaning heavily on The Hip canon today.
 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gord-downie-obit-1.4359906
Boom 97.3 hasn't played anything but Hip songs since about 9:00 this morning. 

They broke up their usual block of Gowan and Chilliwack.

Saga and April Wine.  Gotta love Can-con.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 19th, 2017 07:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 5823
Status: 
Offline
For you Canucks out there who went camping in the 90's, think of the songs you were hearing as you walked amongst the campsites. Bet a lot of times it was The Tragically Hip.

People have said on here how they've felt the passing of a musical artist more than most others and this one really hurts.

Really encourage those who haven't really listened to any Hip to do so. Don't just play it, really listen to it.

RIP Gord.

I as well and currently am have played almost nothing but Hip songs yesterday and today.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 19th, 2017 08:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 15532
Status: 
Offline
Yeah lots of that going on.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 19th, 2017 09:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
the squared circle
Mr Hockey


Joined: Thu Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7721
Status: 
Offline
KGB wrote: LAF wrote: ChrisOTL wrote: KGB wrote: Gord Downie passes away at the age of 53.  It's easily the biggest story today on Canadian media.  Toronto's sports radio, the FAN590, has spent much of the morning talking about Gord.  The band had strong ties with the hockey community, in fact Gord's godfather is former Boston Bruins GM Harry Sinden.  Toronto rock stations are, predictably, leaning heavily on The Hip canon today.
 
http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gord-downie-obit-1.4359906
Boom 97.3 hasn't played anything but Hip songs since about 9:00 this morning. 

They broke up their usual block of Gowan and Chilliwack.

Saga and April Wine.  Gotta love Can-con.

Saga, April Wine, Chilliwack, and even Gowan, are all great!!! :tongue:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 19th, 2017 09:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 15532
Status: 
Offline
Don't forget Toronto and Harlequin and Trooper



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 19th, 2017 10:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 1147
Status: 
Offline
Triumph, Chalk Circle, and Nickl....  Nah.  Not going to go there. 



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 17th, 2018 10:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 5823
Status: 
Offline
Hard to believe it's been a whole year already.
Your life left a mark on Canada and your passing has left a hole.
RIP.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 11:10 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Gord Downie has terminal cancer Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems