WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > David Letterman Returning To TV Via Netflix Talk Show

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
David Letterman Returning To TV Via Netflix Talk Show  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 10th, 2017 11:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 37573
Status: 
Offline
Two years after signing off CBS' The Late Show, David Letterman is returning to the small screen.


The longest-serving host in U.S. late-night TV history is set to topline a new talk show for Netflix. The untitled six-episode series will premiere in 2018.


Unlike The Late Show, each hourlong episode of the Netflix series will be pre-recorded and feature Letterman conducting longform conversations with a singular guest as well as exploring topics on his own - outside of the studio. A guest list has not yet been revealed.
"I feel excited and lucky to be working on this project for Netflix. Here's what I have learned, if you retire to spend more time with your family, check with your family first. Thanks for watching, drive safely," Letterman said.


The series is produced by RadicalMedia (What Happened, Miss Simone? and Oh Hello on Broadway and Abstract: The Art of Design) as well as Letterman's Worldwide Pants banner.

"Just meeting David Letterman was a thrill; imagine how exciting it is for me to announce that we will be working together," Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos said. "David Letterman is a true television icon, and I can't wait to see him out in the wild, out from behind the desk and interviewing the people he finds most interesting. We'll have to see if he keeps the beard."


Letterman hosted more than 6,000 episodes of late-night talk shows during his time on NBC's Late Night as well as CBS' The Late Show over 33 years. As a writer, producer and performer, he collected 52 nominations and 10 wins. He's a two-time Peabody Award winner who will be honored with the Mark Twain Prize in October. He has interviewed virtually every presidential candidate as well as cabinet officials while also shedding light on topics including world hunger and climate change. (During his career, he has interviewed President Trump multiple times.)


Letterman announced plans to step down from The Late Show in 2014, signing off the air in 2015 with nearly 14 million viewers tuning in to see his farewell.


"I'm feeling anxious. I find, since I don't have a show anymore, I can't stop talking," Letterman said in a December story in which he interviewed Tina Fey for THR.


The series expands Netflix's talk show footprint beyond Chelsea Handler's weekly talk show, which changed its format in its sophomore season to expand to an hour with more in-depth interviews, bigger field pieces and trips to India, Europe and more.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2017 11:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6281
Status: 
Offline
Would be stoked about this if it were the Letterman of say, 87 or 97...the Letterman of 2017 isn't anything I'd tune in to watch..



____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2017 01:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 43704
Status: 
Offline
Letterman has gotten too political and obviously his more avant-garde style of both interviewing and doing skits disappeared decades ago.  He's now mostly an old grumpy guy with sarcastic jokes that hit as often as they miss.  It's not a knock on him, he's 70, and even George Carlin stopped being funny in his 60s.  He was a legend and no doubt this series will do well, but for his reputation he probably should just stop.  When Carson was done, he was fucking done.  And we all remember nothing but the glory days.  No one had to see a doddering old Carson trying to stay relevant and making Netscape jokes during a comeback special.  In my mind, he was smoking a cigar and drinking a scotch and banging broads until the day he died.  Letterman needs to take a tip from his idol. 

Last edited on Fri Aug 11th, 2017 01:26 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 12:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
TerryWWWF



Joined: Mon Nov 26th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4164
Status: 
Offline
Who gives a shit about "reputation" and "legacy?" In 20 years, nobody will remember that Carson did The Tonight Show. Steve Allen practically invented the late night talk show and nobody under 50 even knows who he was.

I always laugh when someone says "another Super Bowl will cement (whoever's) legacy." Who cares? Play as long as you can, make all the money you can and laugh at the geeks who argue about legacies on sports talk radio.

If Letterman wants to do a show, do it. Have something to occupy your time and make some money.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 03:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 43704
Status: 
Offline
TerryWWWF wrote: Who gives a shit about "reputation" and "legacy?" In 20 years, nobody will remember that Carson did The Tonight Show. Steve Allen practically invented the late night talk show and nobody under 50 even knows who he was.

I'm under 50 and am well aware of who Steve Allen is, and he has a legacy.

If you think everyone gets forgotten in 20 years and legacy isn't important, then compare William Shakepeare, Audrey Hepburn, and the Rolling Stones to Christopher Marlowe, Jan Sterling, and Asylum Choir.  You might have to Google the latter 3 though.  Everyone doesn't get forgotten in 20 years, it's after 20 years, or in some cases 200 years, that you realize who is remembered and who isn't, and it's not always the same people who were bigger stars at the time.  It's safe to say that Carson will be fine in 2040 and beyond.

Last edited on Tue Aug 15th, 2017 03:17 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 3505
Status: 
Offline
I'd love it if the NBC Letterman shows were made available again. Back around the turn of the millennium NBC put them into syndication on a now defunct cable network called Trio. David Letterman was unhappy to say the least, in part because I think Trio aired NBC reruns opposite his CBS timeslot for a moment or two. I don't know if NBC still owns the rights, if Letterman reclaimed them or if they're with some other entity. You'd think there'd be a DVD or streaming market, especially if the musical guests' performances were somehow able to be cleared.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 04:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4450
Status: 
Online
tamalie wrote: I'd love it if the NBC Letterman shows were made available again. Back around the turn of the millennium NBC put them into syndication on a now defunct cable network called Trio. David Letterman was unhappy to say the least, in part because I think Trio aired NBC reruns opposite his CBS timeslot for a moment or two. I don't know if NBC still owns the rights, if Letterman reclaimed them or if they're with some other entity. You'd think there'd be a DVD or streaming market, especially if the musical guests' performances were somehow able to be cleared.
I remember they released some episodes on VHS right around the time he left for CBS.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2017 05:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, USA
Posts: 16156
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: I'd love it if the NBC Letterman shows were made available again. Back around the turn of the millennium NBC put them into syndication on a now defunct cable network called Trio. David Letterman was unhappy to say the least, in part because I think Trio aired NBC reruns opposite his CBS timeslot for a moment or two. I don't know if NBC still owns the rights, if Letterman reclaimed them or if they're with some other entity. You'd think there'd be a DVD or streaming market, especially if the musical guests' performances were somehow able to be cleared.
If I remember right E network also ran them for awhile in mid-late 90's     



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated December 10 2017)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2017 03:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
TerryWWWF



Joined: Mon Nov 26th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4164
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: TerryWWWF wrote: Who gives a shit about "reputation" and "legacy?" In 20 years, nobody will remember that Carson did The Tonight Show. Steve Allen practically invented the late night talk show and nobody under 50 even knows who he was.

I'm under 50 and am well aware of who Steve Allen is, and he has a legacy.

If you think everyone gets forgotten in 20 years and legacy isn't important, then compare William Shakepeare, Audrey Hepburn, and the Rolling Stones to Christopher Marlowe, Jan Sterling, and Asylum Choir.  You might have to Google the latter 3 though.  Everyone doesn't get forgotten in 20 years, it's after 20 years, or in some cases 200 years, that you realize who is remembered and who isn't, and it's not always the same people who were bigger stars at the time.  It's safe to say that Carson will be fine in 2040 and beyond.
Of course you would know who Steve Allen is. You're a fucking genius.

What possible difference does it make if people remember Carson in 2040? (They won't, by the way). He's dead.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 07:39 pm  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > David Letterman Returning To TV Via Netflix Talk Show Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems