WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Gimme An Over-Rated Singer Or Band

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Gimme An Over-Rated Singer Or Band  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jul 16th, 2019 11:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
61st Post
kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 4385
Status: 
Offline
Not sure anyone truly rates KISS as ground-breaking musicians. Marketers, yes. They basically took the Sweet shtick and mainstreamed it a bit but pushed themselves as being edgy and alternative.



____________________
superfunkymean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Jul 17th, 2019 01:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
62nd Post
Heenan Fan



Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1993
Status: 
Offline
kargol wrote: Not sure anyone truly rates KISS as ground-breaking musicians. Marketers, yes. They basically took the Sweet shtick and mainstreamed it a bit but pushed themselves as being edgy and alternative.Nobody who knows music does. But if you watch music talent shows or listen to celebrities talk about their musical inspirations, a high percentage mention KISS. That's when I immediately change the channel.



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" - Heenan Fan 2019
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Jul 17th, 2019 06:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
63rd Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1919
Status: 
Offline
Erick Von Erich wrote: I'll say Jefferson Airplane. Sure, they were hot in the late 60's, but their overall career catalog is severely over-rated. And yes, I'm only considering "Jefferson Airplane" and not lumping in "Jefferson Starship" and plain ol' "Starship".

They've long been given a pass because they were there in the late 60's, I feel. I just always assumed their old stuff was the "good stuff"... but I finally listened to it, as an adult, and thought: "that's it?"

I compare that to Fleetwood Mac. Finally listened to their old Peter Green stuff and was pleasantly surprised.



I'll also second that Nirvana was over-rated. Prime example is the song "Lithium". They couldn't come up with a chorus, so went with "Yeahhhh". Okay, so Usher and Lil Jon did the same, 13 years later, but it worked for them.


For KISS-- well, yeah, their songs all sound like they were written by a stray Muppet. But I'd argue that Ace Frehley may have influenced more guitarists than anybody else. Not for his playing technique, but "Space Ace" caught their eye and initially inspired a ton of kids to pick up the instrument.

Plus, Paul Stanley's 1/2 of the basis for Dr. Rockzo, so there's that.


RUSH will always be a personal favorite. They were the first band whose lyrics I completely understood at age 7 ("Red Barchetta"). But they're not for everyone and I get that. Unless you live in Toronto. Then you're required to like them or you'll be exiled to Manitoba.

RUSH fans will always (rightfully) point out their technical prowess. Excluding singing, of course. Everyone knows Geddy Lee and Neil Peart are legends in their fields. However, if Alex Lifeson had been in any other band, people would put him on the shortlist of Great Guitarists.

Jefferson airplane is crap. I think they have 2 listenable songs. The rest  is really bad. And they were horrible live too

Never a fan of CSNY either. Or Fleetwood Mac.

I dont understand the appeal of Jimmy Buffet. I know one song but he has  a loyal following.

Last edited on Wed Jul 17th, 2019 06:39 am by Spatulapup

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Jul 17th, 2019 06:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
64th Post
Heenan Fan



Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1993
Status: 
Offline
Fleetwood Mac (after Lindsay & Stevie joined) were awesome when they were reasonably sober. The double album Rumours is a masterpiece.



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" - Heenan Fan 2019
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Jul 17th, 2019 12:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
65th Post
chrob61



Joined: Thu Nov 18th, 2010
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 2089
Status: 
Offline
I agree Rumours is a masterpiece, but it's a single album!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Jul 17th, 2019 02:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
66th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49500
Status: 
Offline
chrob61 wrote: I agree Rumours is a masterpiece, but it's a single album!
They're not a one album wonder.  That might be their best, but they have tons of great songs across their whole catalogue, including recent ones.  Even "Say You Will", from 2003, is awesome.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Jul 17th, 2019 02:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
67th Post
chrob61



Joined: Thu Nov 18th, 2010
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 2089
Status: 
Offline
By "single" album, I mean 1 disc, not 2. I wouldn't even put FM in this discussion of over rated bands, but that's just my opinion.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jul 20th, 2019 02:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
68th Post
Dr. Strangelove



Joined: Fri May 26th, 2017
Location:  
Posts: 79
Status: 
Offline
Toto is one of my favorite bands, but I would have to put them down as overrated because of how they always butcher their own songs live.

I love most of their songs, but their live performances usually sound like crap. I get that a lot of songs sound different live, but when Toto sing their own songs they sound like people at karaoke bars who have bad too much to drink trying to sing songs way beyond their range.

Last edited on Sun Jul 21st, 2019 01:41 am by Dr. Strangelove

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 05:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
69th Post
Big Garea Fan

 

Joined: Wed Mar 4th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2710
Status: 
Offline
Jay Z

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 06:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
70th Post
Heenan Fan



Joined: Wed Oct 19th, 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1993
Status: 
Offline
Dr. Strangelove wrote: Toto is one of my favorite bands, but I would have to put them down as overrated because of how they always butcher their own songs live.

I love most of their songs, but their live performances usually sound like crap. I get that a lot of songs sound different live, but when Toto sing their own songs they sound like people at karaoke bars who have bad too much to drink trying to sing songs way beyond their range.
This actually would be a good idea for a thread title. There's a lot of good bands that suck live.



____________________
"Comedians are just like Pro Wrestlers...all the good ones are dead!" - Heenan Fan 2019
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 02:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
71st Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49500
Status: 
Offline
Heenan Fan wrote: Dr. Strangelove wrote: Toto is one of my favorite bands, but I would have to put them down as overrated because of how they always butcher their own songs live.

I love most of their songs, but their live performances usually sound like crap. I get that a lot of songs sound different live, but when Toto sing their own songs they sound like people at karaoke bars who have bad too much to drink trying to sing songs way beyond their range.
This actually would be a good idea for a thread title. There's a lot of good bands that suck live.

The absolute worst live performances I've seen in the past few years are Vince Neil, Van Halen (David Lee Roth), and Don Dokken.  Plenty of '80s guys have lost a step, but these 3 are incapable of publicly performing anymore and that goes above and beyond everyone else from that generation. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 02:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
72nd Post
Superstar
Reigning Defending POTY


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico USA
Posts: 5663
Status: 
Online
Big Garea Fan wrote: Jay Z
Technically he's not a singer, band, or musician.  He's a great talker and producer.  Much like Arn Anderson.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 07:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
73rd Post
Erick Von Erich

 

Joined: Thu Mar 26th, 2015
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 563
Status: 
Offline
I mentioned Fleetwood Mac as a comparison... but I don't consider them over-rated. Decent band. Have the early blues stuff with Peter Green, the 70's AOR stuff, 80's soft rock, and even listenable stuff in the past 20 years.

As a kid, I thought it was odd (or a typo) that Judas Priest's "Green Manalishi" was cited as a Fleetwood Mac cover. Finally heard the original, years later, and agreed with Priest that it was a cool song.



____________________
http://www.dawrestlingsite.com
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 07:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
74th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49500
Status: 
Offline
Erick Von Erich wrote: As a kid, I thought it was odd (or a typo) that Judas Priest's "Green Manalishi" was cited as a Fleetwood Mac cover. Finally heard the original, years later, and agreed with Priest that it was a cool song.
I didn't realize this was a Mac song until into the 2000s, and I was very surprised.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 07:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
75th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9688
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: Big Garea Fan wrote: Jay Z
Technically he's not a singer, band, or musician.  He's a great talker and producer.  Much like Arn Anderson.


πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚



____________________
β€œAnybody notice that Papa Voo can make all these posts, despite the fact he hasn't been logged in all night? #S&W (Scumbag Liars & Worthless Trash)β€œ

-(Comedian/Troll Wanna Be) Heenan Fan-
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 06:15 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Gimme An Over-Rated Singer Or Band Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems