WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Avengers: Endgame Review *Spoilers*

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Avengers: Endgame Review *Spoilers*  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 02:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49788
Status: 
Offline
Finally saw this last night and managed to stay completely spoiler-free.  I thought Infinity War was perfect and this was a notch below that. 

Infinity War integrated everyone better, whereas Endgame was very much an Iron Man/Captain America movie - with a ridiculously large part also set aside for Ant-Man for some bizarre reason.  Who knew the last Ant-Man movie, which I doubt many people saw in comparison to the others, would basically be the driving force for the conclusion of this entire 10-year saga.

It was an interesting choice to make this a time travel movie, and it was well done but we've seen so many time travel movies before.  They didn't have to do it this way, I suppose they could've just had Thanos not destroy the stones and the remaining Avengers get it back somehow and bring everyone back for the final battle.  It ended up accomplishing the same purpose with some nice call-backs to previous movies.

The final battle was awesome, everything the Battle of Winterfell should have been if GOT didn't drop the ball into a dark, unseeable pit of shit.  The pop in the theater when each hero came back through Dr. Strange's portal was the most amazing thing I've ever heard at a movie.  An explosion for Black Panther, then Spider-Man, then Star-Lord, etc. ending in a crescendo when Cap finally utters the line "Avengers Assemble!".  Biggest pop I've ever heard at a movie.

Great, but unexpected ending to kill Iron Man.  As the biggest star of the franchise, and given his character arc over the past decade, it makes sense he was the one to selflessly kill himself to do the final snap.  People were sobbing.  Captain America then got the perfect ending he deserved, 50 years living his life with Peggy to come back to the present as an old man.  No other character really got the same type of send-off, either because of future sequels or there was just too much going on to care about everyone else. 

Speaking of which, way too much comedy with Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy.  There's always going to be some goofiness in Marvel movies, especially Guardians, but there also needs to come a time when it gets serious.  They were the comic relief in a movie that had lots of other drama, and that short-changed their own arcs.  I loved the Guardians franchise and the whole romance between Star-Lord and Gamora turns into a nut shot joke?  Seriously?  Have the comedy bit but then let them have their dramatic moment too.  I suppose them rediscovering their love for each other now that past Gamora is back with no memory of the last few years will be a major plot point for the next Guardians movie, but they could've had a 30-second serious scene at some point in this 3 hour movie.

I HATE this Spider-Man and the way he's portrayed in all of these Infinity movies.  Just wanted to say that again.

Not sure what's going on with the TV show, but as someone who has invested years in Agents of SHIELD, and that is hard to do because the show is sometimes decent but sometimes awful, I would've liked to have seen Coulson involved again somehow.  I think they were trapped in space when the events of Infinity Wars took place and they've always been the red-headed stepchild of the franchise, but throw the fans a bone and get Coulson one line of dialogue.  The SHIELD/Hydra swerve, explored on the show in depth, was a major plot point of this movie in recovering one of the stones, so I wish they could've found a way to integrate these guys to make it feel like a fuller universe.  I'm not expecting them to involve Daredevil and Jessica Jones, even though a nod would be nice (not sure of the political sensitivities now given the Netflix/Disney platform situation), but SHIELD has always been much more directly involved in the MCU.  Nick Fury just standing around at the end of each movie is not SHIELD involvement.  I wonder how much Samuel L. Jackson got paid to literally not say anything?

Anyway, Infinity War was a 10/10 and Endgame was an 8.5/10.  This was an epic adventure that will likely never be duplicated in our lifetime.  I know it's a cash cow that will be driven into the ground and ruined with reboots and pointless sequels in the coming years and decades and our grandkids will be watching Will Smith's grandkids playing Captain America eventually, but if they ended the entire MCU now I'd be happy.  It was a great ride.  

Last edited on Fri May 3rd, 2019 02:58 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 03:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6774
Status: 
Offline
I saw it last night. Thought it was just ok, the time-travel stuff is SUCH a cop-out. I thought to wrap up that part of the Marvel universe they tried to cram too much shit into it, that was my biggest beef. It didn't drag but it was longer than it needed to be.

I thought Infinity War was close to a 10 too, I'm giving this one like a 7. It wouldn't make my top 5 Marvel movies, that's for sure. Those are Iron Man 1, Guardians 1, Captain America, Captain America Winter Soldier and Infinity War.

I'm glad it's all wrapped up though, I was getting fatigued with the Marvel Universe and other than the Guardians 3 I'm done with comic book movies for a long time.



____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 03:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Married Jo



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Hickory NC
Posts: 6774
Status: 
Offline
Oh yeah, one more thing, I HATE what they did with Banner/Hulk in this one. LAME...Marvel has done a brilliant job with all these movies putting humor in them at just the right times but not every character needs to be Henny Youngman...



____________________
Well, Im of the opinion that one wouldnt actually have to eat the corn out of Chynas shit to know that nothing good could come of it. - Portalesman
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 03:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49788
Status: 
Offline
Married Jo wrote: Oh yeah, one more thing, I HATE what they did with Banner/Hulk in this one. LAME...Marvel has done a brilliant job with all these movies putting humor in them at just the right times but not every character needs to be Henny Youngman...
I thought Hulk was fine, Thor was much worse.  I don't remember Hulk being a comedy character, they just evolved his character from "Hulk Smash", which you can't do much more with, into a Hulk with intelligence.  The CGI was really good too, on both him and of course Thanos.  The transition from real-life actor to character was seemless, you could see both so clearly.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 03:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49788
Status: 
Offline
I also was annoyed that Thanos "retired" to a planet by himself with no protection, knowing that there were still some pissed off super heroes who would come gunning for him.  So he just waits there to die?  Made no sense.  I understand he achieved his dream, but that doesn't suddenly make him suicidal.  I didn't want the movie to last 4 hours and I know they just wanted to get to the time travel, but that was a complete departure from Thanos' character and made no sense for anyone to do that.  Before destroying the stones, he could've killed anyone powerful enough to stop him or conjured up all sorts of defenses.  Big plot hole if you ask me. 

Last edited on Fri May 3rd, 2019 04:00 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6917
Status: 
Online
srossi wrote: Not sure what's going on with the TV show, but as someone who has invested years in Agents of SHIELD, and that is hard to do because the show is sometimes decent but sometimes awful, I would've liked to have seen Coulson involved again somehow.  I think they were trapped in space when the events of Infinity Wars took place and they've always been the red-headed stepchild of the franchise, but throw the fans a bone and get Coulson one line of dialogue.  The SHIELD/Hydra swerve, explored on the show in depth, was a major plot point of this movie in recovering one of the stones, so I wish they could've found a way to integrate these guys to make it feel like a fuller universe.  I'm not expecting them to involve Daredevil and Jessica Jones, even though a nod would be nice (not sure of the political sensitivities now given the Netflix/Disney platform situation), but SHIELD has always been much more directly involved in the MCU.  Nick Fury just standing around at the end of each movie is not SHIELD involvement.  I wonder how much Samuel L. Jackson got paid to literally not say anything?


[NERD HAT ON]

The difference in production time for the TV series and movies caused them to make the decision that they would not try and tie in Agents of SHIELD with the movie timelines, and just let them be their own things. Coulson made a decision not to let the Avengers know he was alive again, and it's mentioned in one of the episodes when he tells Sif not to tell Thor and the others anything about him. He had a decent role in Captain Marvel, so that should make Coulson fans (except you) happy enough. Not only were the Agents of SHIELD in space during the snap, they were also far into the future, but I really wouldn't try too hard to connect the series to the movies.

There was one Easter egg from the Agent Carter TV series in the movie, with Howard Stark's driver in 1970 being Jarvis from the TV show, played by the same actor.

The characters from the Netflix shows are not available to be used by anyone else for two years after cancellation, a no-compete clause, if you will. So from next year, we could see them starting to appear in greater MCU again.

There are four Marvel TV shows scheduled for Disney+, which will be more integrated into the greater story than Agents of SHIELD (and the more distantly related Inhumans, Runaways and Cloak & Dagger shows). Two of them were set up in Endgame. The new Loki series looks like it will be set in an alternative timeline that starts when Loki disappeared with the Tesseract, and a Falcon & Winter Soldier, which was kind of hinted at the end.

There was more than just Samuel Jackson making 5 second cameos at the end. Among others were Maria Hill, General Ross and the boy from Iron Man 3. Natalie Portman fot a credit, even though the footage of her in Endgame was unused footage from Thor 2. She recorded one line of dialogue that was barely audible to satisfy union rules that she could be paid for the movie and get a credit.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 05:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4465
Status: 
Offline
I am surprised that people were surprised that Iron Man died. After recovering from the shock of so many heroes dying at the end of Avengers: Infinity War, my immediate thought was that in the sequel they'd all come back to life because of an act of selfless sacrifice by Iron Man. They're not making anymore Iron Man movies. I figured Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson would move on, so that would do it for this version of The Avengers. Iron Man has always been portrayed as the leader and focal point of the group, so it seemed like time was up for Robert Downey Jr. This was his exit strategy.

I have no problem with Thor being played looser and for more comedy. Thor was very dull in his first two standalone movies and in the early Avengers movies as a white hat babyface. The reinvention of the character in Thor: Ragnarok as the loveable and comedic dumb jock of the Marvel Universe now has me excited to see him with the Guardians of the Galaxy, in potential Thor sequels, other crossover stuff, and perhaps as a holdover in an otherwise new Avengers team. It seems like Thor and Hulk are staying on, assuming Hemsworth and Ruffalo are up for it. A new Avengers could be built around them Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, Wasp, and perhaps other Marvel heroes ranging from people we've seen like Spider-Man or new heroes to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The Avengers is too big of a franchise to let go of now.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 05:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49788
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: The difference in production time for the TV series and movies caused them to make the decision that they would not try and tie in Agents of SHIELD with the movie timelines, and just let them be their own things. Coulson made a decision not to let the Avengers know he was alive again, and it's mentioned in one of the episodes when he tells Sif not to tell Thor and the others anything about him. He had a decent role in Captain Marvel, so that should make Coulson fans (except you) happy enough. Not only were the Agents of SHIELD in space during the snap, they were also far into the future, but I really wouldn't try too hard to connect the series to the movies.


I didn't see Captain Marvel yet but now I want to only because of Coulson.  I had no idea he was in it. 

There was more than just Samuel Jackson making 5 second cameos at the end. Among others were Maria Hill, General Ross and the boy from Iron Man 3. Natalie Portman fot a credit, even though the footage of her in Endgame was unused footage from Thor 2. She recorded one line of dialogue that was barely audible to satisfy union rules that she could be paid for the movie and get a credit.

I saw the credits for Natalie Portman and Colbie Smulders but didn't see them in the movie.  I just completely missed it.  They even brought back the fat Asian kid who's Spider-Man's best friend for a non-speaking role.  Peter Parker just hugs him during the wrap-up music.  Michelle Pfieffer and Angela Bassett are two huge names who were seen but I'm not sure heard, but they got prominent credits.  Maybe they had one line each, but I don't know about that.

Last edited on Fri May 3rd, 2019 06:04 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 06:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 17867
Status: 
Online
Saw it opening day. Thought it was it was a great end of the Infinity story. Well worth all the hype.

Only death that shocked me was Black widow. Since Scarlett Johansson is filming a Black Widow movie for next year.

Read that it was Hemsworth idea for Thor. He wanted take Thor another way instead of the same old same old.

Spiderman Far from Home is the last movie in Phase Three. Taking place a few weeks from Endgame.

Going to be interesting where they go from here and who will be the new Big Baddie going forward.

With Black Widow movie being the first movie in Phase Four going to be interesting how a movie timeline which I am sure will take place before Iron Man makes a connection with the New phase.

I would not be shocked if Widow comes back from the dead. Since Capt brought back the soul stone.



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated September 2 2018)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13315
Status: 
Online
srossi wrote:
I saw the credits for Natalie Portman and Colbie Smulders but didn't see them in the movie.
Portman didn't do anything but get out of bed in Asgard.
Smulders was just at the funeral.
Missed out on the fact that Agent Carter Jarvis was in movie. When I saw him I thought to myself "Why did they use that guy?"
I wanted them to introduce somewhere  another superhero.
When Valkerie and Thor were talking about unexplained underwater earthquakes I am hoping that leads to the Sub Mariner.
I was disappointed there wasn't an end credit



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri May 3rd, 2019 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 17867
Status: 
Online
Smulders and Jackson are both in the New Spiderman movie.



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated September 2 2018)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon May 6th, 2019 05:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1957
Status: 
Offline
The upcoming Black Widow movie  is a prequel. So it looks like she really is dead. Natalie Portman didn't return for Endgame. They just used a old scene from one of The Thor movies and inserted The raccoon into it.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 6th, 2019 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 17867
Status: 
Online
Spatulapup wrote: The upcoming Black Widow movie  is a prequel. So it looks like she really is dead. Natalie Portman didn't return for Endgame. They just used a old scene from one of The Thor movies and inserted The raccoon into it.
Don't know how they start Phase Four with a prequel with a  Character that is already dead.  So we will see. 



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated September 2 2018)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon May 6th, 2019 07:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49788
Status: 
Offline
bpickering wrote: Spatulapup wrote: The upcoming Black Widow movie  is a prequel. So it looks like she really is dead. Natalie Portman didn't return for Endgame. They just used a old scene from one of The Thor movies and inserted The raccoon into it.
Don't know how they start Phase Four with a prequel with a  Character that is already dead.  So we will see. 

Unless there's breaking news, I don't think this is confirmed yet.  As of a few days ago, there was still speculation about how they would handle this. Neither option is ideal.  You either 1) go into Phase 4 with a prequel, giving the backstory of a relatively minor and non-commercial character who is going to be non-consequential going forward or 2) go into Phase 4 with a storyline where Hawkeye searches to bring her back to life, making the title character dead for half the movie.  Seems weird either way.

Last edited on Mon May 6th, 2019 07:56 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon May 6th, 2019 09:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1957
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: bpickering wrote: Spatulapup wrote: The upcoming Black Widow movie  is a prequel. So it looks like she really is dead. Natalie Portman didn't return for Endgame. They just used a old scene from one of The Thor movies and inserted The raccoon into it.
Don't know how they start Phase Four with a prequel with a  Character that is already dead.  So we will see. 

Unless there's breaking news, I don't think this is confirmed yet.  As of a few days ago, there was still speculation about how they would handle this. Neither option is ideal.  You either 1) go into Phase 4 with a prequel, giving the backstory of a relatively minor and non-commercial character who is going to be non-consequential going forward or 2) go into Phase 4 with a storyline where Hawkeye searches to bring her back to life, making the title character dead for half the movie.  Seems weird either way.
 And I don't want a movie where Hawkeye is carrying the story. Never been a big fan of the character or Renner. There was way too much of him in Endgame for me.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 07:03 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Avengers: Endgame Review *Spoilers* Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems