WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Unpopular Opinions You Might Carry Towards Music

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Unpopular Opinions You Might Carry Towards Music  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Nov 1st, 2019 01:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 1208
Status: 
Offline
indikator wrote: I believe George Harrisons solo career was basically him being guided by Jeff Lynne. No wonder everybody was up in arms because of "Free as a bird". But I have to say I like that Lynne-Harrison "collaboration" very much.
George's solo career is pretty much rubbish from start to finish.  Even his "masterpiece" All Things Must Pass is an overlong, tiresome collection of self-indulgence.  Apart from a few songs on that album, the only thing I liked by him post-Beatles is "All Those Years Ago". 
 
Lennon's solo career started well with Plastic Ono Band, which kicks all kinds of ass, but it too sunk into a morass of uncreative pap.  Maybe the 80's would have been kinder to him than the 70's but as long as he insisted on giving equal time to Yoko he'd have had mixed results at best. 
 
Macca's solo career is far and away the best.  Even 20 years after the breakup he was doing enjoyable, if harmless, work on Flowers In The Dirt.  Knock him all you want for his saccharine tendencies but the guy just kept writing great melodies after leaving The Beatles.   



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 1st, 2019 01:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
indikator



Joined: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009
Location: Bratenwender City, Germany
Posts: 2574
Status: 
Offline
Yeah, I could read an epic rant that would prove to me that "Hope of deliverance" is insipid and I would still enjoy the hell out of that tune.

Btw, you can watch the Dick Cavett show with John & Yoko on Youtube, they went on in order to promote their artsy crap. Holy shit was that stuff bad. So you might be able to guess how good or bad Johns output would have been, depending on the involvement of Yoko



____________________
The Don Owen signature has been retired as the Dean Silverstone book made the point that he was an antisemite. I shall give you a Greatmuta1025 approved Hello Kitty picture instead.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 1st, 2019 02:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
silentkiller



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Flatbush, Brooklyn
Posts: 1244
Status: 
Offline
- In 1978 hip hop music was an unrecorded music played only at block and house parties in a few of the worst neighborhoods in the Bronx to becoming one of the most dominant forms of American and worldwide music in less than 20 years, the rise of hip hop music is the most astonishing rise of any form music in the last 150 years.
-Elvis Presley should get more credit for being an incredible musician than he currently does
- Prog rock should have never been a thing



____________________
http://www.hoopshabit.com
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 1st, 2019 02:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49814
Status: 
Offline
KGB wrote: Macca's solo career is far and away the best.  Even 20 years after the breakup he was doing enjoyable, if harmless, work on Flowers In The Dirt.  Knock him all you want for his saccharine tendencies but the guy just kept writing great melodies after leaving The Beatles.   

If he wasn't Paul McCartney, everyone would say he has the songwriting skills of Britney Spears.  His lyrics are saccharine sure, but they're also complete and utter shit.  One thing that helps him is that he is willing to evolve with the times and collaborate with current pop and hip hop stars, so he doesn't come across as a bitter relic who hasn't done anything relevant in 50 years.  But those collaborations are just atrocious.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 1st, 2019 04:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 1208
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: KGB wrote: Macca's solo career is far and away the best.  Even 20 years after the breakup he was doing enjoyable, if harmless, work on Flowers In The Dirt.  Knock him all you want for his saccharine tendencies but the guy just kept writing great melodies after leaving The Beatles.   

If he wasn't Paul McCartney, everyone would say he has the songwriting skills of Britney Spears.  His lyrics are saccharine sure, but they're also complete and utter shit.  One thing that helps him is that he is willing to evolve with the times and collaborate with current pop and hip hop stars, so he doesn't come across as a bitter relic who hasn't done anything relevant in 50 years.  But those collaborations are just atrocious.

Songwriting skills of Britney Spears?  Uh, okay.  If you say so. 



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Nov 1st, 2019 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49814
Status: 
Offline
KGB wrote: srossi wrote: KGB wrote: Macca's solo career is far and away the best.  Even 20 years after the breakup he was doing enjoyable, if harmless, work on Flowers In The Dirt.  Knock him all you want for his saccharine tendencies but the guy just kept writing great melodies after leaving The Beatles.   

If he wasn't Paul McCartney, everyone would say he has the songwriting skills of Britney Spears.  His lyrics are saccharine sure, but they're also complete and utter shit.  One thing that helps him is that he is willing to evolve with the times and collaborate with current pop and hip hop stars, so he doesn't come across as a bitter relic who hasn't done anything relevant in 50 years.  But those collaborations are just atrocious.

Songwriting skills of Britney Spears?  Uh, okay.  If you say so. 

Yeah I definitely say so.  This was Paul McCartney's 9/11 song which was one of his last big hits:

This is my right
A right given by God
To live a free life
To live in freedom
Talkin' about freedom
I'm talkin' about freedom
I will fight for the right
To live in freedom
Any one
Tries to take it away
You'll have to answer
'Cause this is my right
I'm talkin' about freedom
I'm talkin' about freedom
I will fight for the right
To live in freedom
Yeah oh
I'm' talkin' about freedom
I'm talking about freedom
I will fight for the right
To live in freedom
Everybody talkin' about freedom
We're talkin' about freedom
We will fight for the right
To live in freedom
Oh
Talkin' about freedom
I'm talkin' about freedom
I will fight for the right
To live in freedom
I'm' talkin' about freedom
I'm' talkin' about freedom
We will fight for the right
To live in freedom



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Nov 1st, 2019 05:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
broke



Joined: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008
Location: Bolton, ON
Posts: 3181
Status: 
Offline
The Beatles solo catalogue to me demonstrates the sum of the parts being greater than the parts - and the importance of having a good producer to say Yes to good ideas and No to shitty ones.

John: Really like Imagine and the first Plastic Ono Band album - He had a pretty long dry spell between Imagine and Double Fantasy.

Paul: Memory Almost Full and that covers album are among the best things he's done, which includes A LOT of shit post break-up (Mull of Kintyre, Red Rose Speedway, Uncle Albert, My Love etc.)

George: Post Beatles I can name maybe a half dozen songs I like, with 1 being a cover and 1 being a piece of plagiarism. And I had to really think hard to get to 6.

Ringo: It don't come easy, Photograph and ummmmm....



____________________
Comic Saaaaaannnsss
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Nov 3rd, 2019 03:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Qaenos

 

Joined: Tue Jan 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 1119
Status: 
Offline
Disco was and still is great.  

I think it took so much flak because:

a) it replaced a lot of rock on the radio at the time and a lot of rock groups (Rolling Stones, Queen, Rod Stewart) turned to disco instead of giving rock fans the same old music they loved.

b) it was popular with a lot of people that rock and/or "music" fans can't stand.

Last edited on Sun Nov 3rd, 2019 03:37 pm by Qaenos

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 01:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6928
Status: 
Offline
The Battle of Britain during the BritPop/Cool Britania: Blur vs Oasis.

They were both shit, save for one or two good early songs. Most of the other music from this genre was complete garbage. It was enjoyable at the time, but he musicians were unskilled and the lyrics were forgettable. For what was the dominant scene in the UK in the mid-90s, my teenage years, music I spent almost all my money on at the time. I almost never listen to any of it anymore.

Pass marks only for Pulp and Manic Street Preachers who were both fantastic.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49814
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: The Battle of Britain during the BritPop/Cool Britania: Blur vs Oasis.

They were both shit, save for one or two good early songs. Most of the other music from this genre was complete garbage. It was enjoyable at the time, but he musicians were unskilled and the lyrics were forgettable. For what was the dominant scene in the UK in the mid-90s, my teenage years, music I spent almost all my money on at the time. I almost never listen to any of it anymore.

Pass marks only for Pulp and Manic Street Preachers who were both fantastic.

Blur and Oasis both being shit should be common knowledge, not an unpopular opinion.  Maybe this is a British thing.

I have only heard a little of Manic Street Preachers but really like it.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 02:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6928
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Kriss wrote: The Battle of Britain during the BritPop/Cool Britania: Blur vs Oasis.

They were both shit, save for one or two good early songs. Most of the other music from this genre was complete garbage. It was enjoyable at the time, but he musicians were unskilled and the lyrics were forgettable. For what was the dominant scene in the UK in the mid-90s, my teenage years, music I spent almost all my money on at the time. I almost never listen to any of it anymore.

Pass marks only for Pulp and Manic Street Preachers who were both fantastic.

Blur and Oasis both being shit should be common knowledge, not an unpopular opinion.  Maybe this is a British thing.

I have only heard a little of Manic Street Preachers but really like it.


I know you are a bit of an old school rock guy, so listen to their first album, Generatiln Terrorists. They were still excellent after that, but they definitely mellowed in style.

The Blur - Oasis thing is definitely for British people growing up in the 90s. I don't think either band cracked the States, and certainly no other BritPop band did.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
nyhack56

 

Joined: Wed May 15th, 2019
Location:  
Posts: 81
Status: 
Offline
I like Sammy Hagar's voice more than David Lee Roth's.

I prefer Brian Johnson to Bon Scott, though I do think they each brought a distinctive sound. Johnson sounds more like a rocker, where Bon sounds like a bad guy from an early 80s animated movie, like The Secret of Nihm or Watership Down.

I like ABBA, probably more because I get a kick out of my 3 and 5 year old daughters sing the songs.

All current Country music sucks. It sounds like pop music with a Southern accent.

KISS are better musicians than given credit for. Same with Weird Al.

James Taylor is overrated and puts me to sleep.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 04:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
broke



Joined: Tue Jan 22nd, 2008
Location: Bolton, ON
Posts: 3181
Status: 
Offline
Oasis definitely cracked the States - Morning Glory was massive. They got over-exposed.



____________________
Comic Saaaaaannnsss
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 04:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49814
Status: 
Offline
broke wrote: Oasis definitely cracked the States - Morning Glory was massive. They got over-exposed.
Yeah, that album was a huge hit here, but definite pop and not taken all that seriously by many.  Some music critics loved them though, but then they became a parody and they're best known today as two asshole brothers who kept punching each other in the middle of recording sessions. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 5th, 2019 05:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Erick Von Erich

 

Joined: Thu Mar 26th, 2015
Location: Texas USA
Posts: 574
Status: 
Offline
nyhack56 wrote: I prefer Brian Johnson to Bon Scott, though I do think they each brought a distinctive sound. Johnson sounds more like a rocker, where Bon sounds like a bad guy from an early 80s animated movie, like The Secret of Nihm or Watership Down.
Like a lot of kids my age, I first got exposed to AC/DC circa 1981 with "For Those About to Rock". AC/DC was pretty much an FM radio staple until 1994 or so, I grew up thinking Brian Johnson was the definitive voice and sound of AC/DC. During those years, on the radio, I'd maybe hear "Highway to Hell" or "TNT" with Bon Scott.

Around 2001, when all the retro video shows started airing, I realized I liked the Bon Scott AC/DC more. The reason I liked it was because of what you mentioned--- I think I even said: "Bon Scott is like a drunk, evil Bilbo Baggins". Sounded more like a band you'd see in a seedy bar. "Jailbreak" and "Touch too Much" became my favorite AC/DC songs.



The Hagar/Roth comparison is one that seems to keep popping up, even more, nowadays. Biggest concert I ever went to (Monsters of Rock in 1988) was headlined by Van Hagar and I liked it. It was cool that Hagar could play guitar, as well, but I'll always prefer DLR's Van Halen. I consider Dave one of the greatest rock front-men of all time--- if not THE greatest. Entertaining, funny, guys thought he was cool, and chicks wanted to be with him. I even like his odd attempts to work scat into his songs. Plus he's 1/2 of Dr. Rockzo.



____________________
http://www.dawrestlingsite.com
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 08:36 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > Unpopular Opinions You Might Carry Towards Music Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems