WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > YOUR OPINION: FACEBOOK & TWITTER SUSPENDING DONALD TRUMP'S ACCOUNTS

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
YOUR OPINION: FACEBOOK & TWITTER SUSPENDING DONALD TRUMP'S ACCOUNTS  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jan 9th, 2021 03:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
gwlee7
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5503
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Trump has been yelling “FIRE” in the crowded theatre so there isn’t any protection.



____________________
I just think it's amazing that Trump is really on Twitter all day, personally writing this shit. He's about 3 beers away from joining S&W and getting into a flame war with Ports.----srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jan 9th, 2021 05:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2151
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The social media censorship is just another fag on the bonfire that's going to burn this country down.  Again, Trump is just a totem.  After he's off the stage, a lot of people in power are going to think the toothpaste has been put back in the tube.  They're in for a rude awakening.  

The tech giants, particularly the social media gatekeepers, are one half of the equation known as "public-private tyranny".  Think of them as akin to the company that runs the red light cameras in your town.  The government contracts out to them and reaps the benefit while doing none of the heavy lifting.  

We have an oligarchy in this country in which those who run Google, Twitter, Facebook, and Apple are in perfect harmony with the political class.  Since the political class technically can't regulate speech, they've outsourced the censorship of public discourse to their friends in Silicon Valley.  The tech giants get very transparent legislative protection from the political class to maintain their supremecy and in return the pols get bags of cash and other perquisites.  And when Cato Institute types or your Little Benny Shapiros start with their "But, muh free market!" and "Start your own internet!" crap, they can't give us an answer as to how that's going to happen when the existing tech giants are all in lockstep in their efforts to enforce the whims of the political class -- witness Apple and Google removing Parler from their stores last night.  

I'm astounded by those who moan about the frightening "theocracy" that the boogeymen of the right are always moments away from creating.  We already live in a theocracy, and it's far more overbearing than anything emanating from the fever dreams of the left.  We have a system of morality in this country that is promoted by all facets of the ruling elite and is ever more strictly enforced.  Corporate America and Madison Avenue are unrelenting in their implicit and explicit messaging.  If you don't pay proper obeisance to the religion of wokeness, you're a bad, bad person.  You can't just tolerate it, you have to celebrate it.  And the real-life repercussions of running afoul of church canon are now extending far beyond simply having your social media posts wiped away.  We're reaching the point where credit cards and banks are denying service to people who, in their private life, hold the wrong opinions.  And what if you work for a name-brand company?  What's going to happen if, on work property or on social media, you're overheard saying "I think a man in a sundress isn't a woman, he's still a man.  With a mental illness."  Or, "You know, importing tens of millions of low-skilled foreigners and hundreds of thousands of skilled workers depress the wage structure of those of us born here.  Furthermore, they've turned my hometown into something I don't want to live in.  I wish they'd all go back."  You're gone.  Your livelihood is taken away by the wine aunts in the HR department.  

And the worst part about that is that there are no rules in place.  Videos are banned and accounts are locked based purely on how the supervisors of these platforms view the established morality on that particular day.   The chilling effect on speech that this creates is even worse than having strict speech codes.  When you can be fired for uttering something that was permissible just the month before but you have no idea when the cutoff date is, then you're going to keep your mouth shut at all times.  Thus, the marketplace of ideas that is fundamental to a free society has been stripped of all utility.  



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jan 9th, 2021 05:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2151
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
gwlee7 wrote: Trump has been yelling “FIRE” in the crowded theatre so there isn’t any protection.

He's protected by virtue of there being a fire in the crowded theater.  



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jan 9th, 2021 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
gwlee7
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5503
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
KGB wrote: gwlee7 wrote: Trump has been yelling “FIRE” in the crowded theatre so there isn’t any protection.

He's protected by virtue of there being a fire in the crowded theater.  

But 50 times over in a court of law even when adjudicated by his own appointees, no evidence of such fire could be produced.  Not even one legitimate puff of smoke to back his claims.  Oh wait, there was one.   The guy who committed fraud FOR him.  



____________________
I just think it's amazing that Trump is really on Twitter all day, personally writing this shit. He's about 3 beers away from joining S&W and getting into a flame war with Ports.----srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jan 9th, 2021 07:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
gwlee7
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5503
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
But KGB, even though we disagree about Trump, I do agree with you about the oligarchy and the oligarchs. I just believe Trump is one of them too.



____________________
I just think it's amazing that Trump is really on Twitter all day, personally writing this shit. He's about 3 beers away from joining S&W and getting into a flame war with Ports.----srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jan 9th, 2021 08:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
srossi
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 55181
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The platforms are all saying that they're taking these actions because of specific violent events that were being made and shared for 2 dates in particular, one on Jan. 17 and the other on Inauguration Day. Most of these events were centered on "avenging" Ashli Babbitt's death and specifically referenced to violence against police and government officials, and in some cases included particular strategies and logistics. Many involved in writing, sharing, or liking posts with reference to these specific violent threats had their accounts purged from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other platforms.  Thousands of accounts have been deleted in the past 24-36 hours.

Last edited on Sat Jan 9th, 2021 08:17 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jan 9th, 2021 09:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7594
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: The platforms are all saying that they're taking these actions because of specific violent events that were being made and shared for 2 dates in particular, one on Jan. 17 and the other on Inauguration Day. Most of these events were centered on "avenging" Ashli Babbitt's death and specifically referenced to violence against police and government officials, and in some cases included particular strategies and logistics. Many involved in writing, sharing, or liking posts with reference to these specific violent threats had their accounts purged from Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other platforms.  Thousands of accounts have been deleted in the past 24-36 hours.


In a vacuum, that's solid in my book, except the Twitter platform has been used as a vehicle for this kind of stuff for years, including the past summer with "fuck the police" and for organizing violence, looting, and chaos in metro areas all over the country.  The looting in Chicago on the night of August 10 was a specific example of grass-roots "Hey, let's go fuck shit and police up and burn it down!".   What a time to be alive.

Last edited on Sat Jan 9th, 2021 09:10 pm by Blazer



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jan 9th, 2021 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2151
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
gwlee7 wrote: But KGB, even though we disagree about Trump, I do agree with you about the oligarchy and the oligarchs. I just believe Trump is one of them too.
The fact that the entirety, and I do mean entirety, of the managerial class, from media to government to big tech, spent four years trying to effect a coup against him is evidence that he's not "one of them".  Would he have liked to be?  I assume he wouldn't have minded membership in the club.  But there's ample evidence that they hated him for not joining their reindeer games.
That's one thing about his presidency that jumps out.  The beltway insiders, deep staters, could have co-opted him so easily.  They could have played him like a fiddle; had they just struck a phony deal with him like they did Reagan, he'd have spent the rest of his term crowing about what a great negotiator he is.  But they couldn't stand the fact that he didn't roll over for their threats, that he had the temerity to point out their fundamental mediocrity.  They took it personally and when all administrative efforts failed to remove him from office, they resorted to the three-card-monty election.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 10th, 2021 12:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
gwlee7
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5503
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Please post credible evidence of actual fraud that would hold up in court.

He is one of them as far as I am concerned. The “conspiracy” that I believe is that “they” put someone like Trump in office to be so ridiculously inept, divisive, and infuriating that it distracts from the horrid shit that has happened.



____________________
I just think it's amazing that Trump is really on Twitter all day, personally writing this shit. He's about 3 beers away from joining S&W and getting into a flame war with Ports.----srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Jan 10th, 2021 12:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
srossi
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 55181
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
gwlee7 wrote: Please post credible evidence of actual fraud that would hold up in court.

He is one of them as far as I am concerned. The “conspiracy” that I believe is that “they” put someone like Trump in office to be so ridiculously inept, divisive, and infuriating that it distracts from the horrid shit that has happened.

I don’t even buy that. I can’t think of anyone who has benefited from this Trump presidency. Democrats will scream about the wealthy and corporations, but that’s just business as usual. Trump didn’t do anything particular to help them that any Republican and most Democrats haven’t done for decades. If anything it was foreign powers who won in a general sort of way just because the country has lost status now. There’s always an anonymous “they” who could be making out like a bandit behind the scenes, but I think Trump’s reign more proves that there isn’t a shadow government or NWO than that there is.  Otherwise he would’ve been killed 3 years ago and they would’ve had a much better time with Pence. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jan 10th, 2021 01:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
gwlee7
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Lewisville, Texas USA
Posts: 5503
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: gwlee7 wrote: Please post credible evidence of actual fraud that would hold up in court.

He is one of them as far as I am concerned. The “conspiracy” that I believe is that “they” put someone like Trump in office to be so ridiculously inept, divisive, and infuriating that it distracts from the horrid shit that has happened.

I don’t even buy that. I can’t think of anyone who has benefited from this Trump presidency. Democrats will scream about the wealthy and corporations, but that’s just business as usual. Trump didn’t do anything particular to help them that any Republican and most Democrats haven’t done for decades. If anything it was foreign powers who won in a general sort of way just because the country has lost status now. There’s always an anonymous “they” who could be making out like a bandit behind the scenes, but I think Trump’s reign more proves that there isn’t a shadow government or NWO than that there is.  Otherwise he would’ve been killed 3 years ago and they would’ve had a much better time with Pence. 

Fair.  Occam’s Razor would simply suggest Trump is inept. 



____________________
I just think it's amazing that Trump is really on Twitter all day, personally writing this shit. He's about 3 beers away from joining S&W and getting into a flame war with Ports.----srossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jan 11th, 2021 06:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
srossi
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 55181
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Ron Paul says he has been locked out of his FB account (but his posts were not deleted) after posting this column today:

Last week’s massive social media purges – starting with President Trump’s permanent ban from Twitter and other outlets – was shocking and chilling, particularly to those of us who value free expression and the free exchange of ideas. The justifications given for the silencing of wide swaths of public opinion made no sense and the process was anything but transparent. Nowhere in President Trump’s two “offending” Tweets, for example, was a call for violence expressed explicitly or implicitly. It was a classic example of sentence first, verdict later.

Many Americans viewed this assault on social media accounts as a liberal or Democrat attack on conservatives and Republicans, but they are missing the point. The narrowing of allowable opinion in the virtual public square is no conspiracy against conservatives. As progressives like Glenn Greenwald have pointed out, this is a wider assault on any opinion that veers from the acceptable parameters of the mainstream elite, which is made up of both Democrats and Republicans.

Yes, this is partly an attempt to erase the Trump movement from the pages of history, but it is also an attempt to silence any criticism of the emerging political consensus in the coming Biden era that may come from progressive or antiwar circles.

After all, a look at Biden’s incoming “experts” shows that they will be the same failed neoconservative interventionists who gave us weekly kill lists, endless drone attacks and coups overseas, and even US government killing of American citizens abroad. Progressives who complain about this “back to the future” foreign policy are also sure to find their voices silenced.

Those who continue to argue that the social media companies are purely private ventures acting independent of US government interests are ignoring reality. The corporatist merger of “private” US social media companies with US government foreign policy goals has a long history and is deeply steeped in the hyper-interventionism of the Obama/Biden era.

“Big Tech” long ago partnered with the Obama/Biden/Clinton State Department to lend their tools to US “soft power” goals overseas. Whether it was ongoing regime change attempts against Iran, the 2009 coup in Honduras, the disastrous US-led coup in Ukraine, “Arab Spring,” the destruction of Syria and Libya, and so many more, the big US tech firms were happy to partner up with the State Department and US intelligence to provide the tools to empower those the US wanted to seize power and to silence those out of favor.

In short, US government elites have been partnering with “Big Tech” overseas for years to decide who has the right to speak and who must be silenced. What has changed now is that this deployment of “soft power” in the service of Washington’s hard power has come home to roost.

So what is to be done? Even pro-free speech alternative social media outlets are under attack from the Big Tech/government Leviathan. There are no easy solutions. But we must think back to the dissidents in the era of Soviet tyranny. They had no Internet. They had no social media. They had no ability to communicate with thousands and millions of like-minded, freedom lovers. Yet they used incredible creativity in the face of incredible adversity to continue pushing their ideas. Because no army – not even Big Tech partnered with Big Government - can stop an idea whose time has come. And Liberty is that idea. We must move forward with creativity and confidence!



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jan 11th, 2021 07:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
KGB

 

Joined: Wed Jul 4th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 2151
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
srossi wrote: Ron Paul says he has been locked out of his FB account (but his posts were not deleted) after posting this column today:

Last week’s massive social media purges – starting with President Trump’s permanent ban from Twitter and other outlets – was shocking and chilling, particularly to those of us who value free expression and the free exchange of ideas. The justifications given for the silencing of wide swaths of public opinion made no sense and the process was anything but transparent. Nowhere in President Trump’s two “offending” Tweets, for example, was a call for violence expressed explicitly or implicitly. It was a classic example of sentence first, verdict later.

Many Americans viewed this assault on social media accounts as a liberal or Democrat attack on conservatives and Republicans, but they are missing the point. The narrowing of allowable opinion in the virtual public square is no conspiracy against conservatives. As progressives like Glenn Greenwald have pointed out, this is a wider assault on any opinion that veers from the acceptable parameters of the mainstream elite, which is made up of both Democrats and Republicans.

Yes, this is partly an attempt to erase the Trump movement from the pages of history, but it is also an attempt to silence any criticism of the emerging political consensus in the coming Biden era that may come from progressive or antiwar circles.

After all, a look at Biden’s incoming “experts” shows that they will be the same failed neoconservative interventionists who gave us weekly kill lists, endless drone attacks and coups overseas, and even US government killing of American citizens abroad. Progressives who complain about this “back to the future” foreign policy are also sure to find their voices silenced.

Those who continue to argue that the social media companies are purely private ventures acting independent of US government interests are ignoring reality. The corporatist merger of “private” US social media companies with US government foreign policy goals has a long history and is deeply steeped in the hyper-interventionism of the Obama/Biden era.

“Big Tech” long ago partnered with the Obama/Biden/Clinton State Department to lend their tools to US “soft power” goals overseas. Whether it was ongoing regime change attempts against Iran, the 2009 coup in Honduras, the disastrous US-led coup in Ukraine, “Arab Spring,” the destruction of Syria and Libya, and so many more, the big US tech firms were happy to partner up with the State Department and US intelligence to provide the tools to empower those the US wanted to seize power and to silence those out of favor.

In short, US government elites have been partnering with “Big Tech” overseas for years to decide who has the right to speak and who must be silenced. What has changed now is that this deployment of “soft power” in the service of Washington’s hard power has come home to roost.

So what is to be done? Even pro-free speech alternative social media outlets are under attack from the Big Tech/government Leviathan. There are no easy solutions. But we must think back to the dissidents in the era of Soviet tyranny. They had no Internet. They had no social media. They had no ability to communicate with thousands and millions of like-minded, freedom lovers. Yet they used incredible creativity in the face of incredible adversity to continue pushing their ideas. Because no army – not even Big Tech partnered with Big Government - can stop an idea whose time has come. And Liberty is that idea. We must move forward with creativity and confidence!


It's like the tired joke 15 years ago about how Muslims would get so angry at being falsely accused of terrorism that they'd cut your throat for saying it.  



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jan 11th, 2021 07:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
srossi
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 55181
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Dave Scherer is now mad that FB blocked him. Lol. They’re coming for everyone.

“Facebook has gotten ridiculous. I can't post today (they haven't said I am suspended). I am getting close to leaving altogether. I know they are worried about facing action due to not being more hands on with riot inciting, but if they are randomly shutting accounts down, f' em.”



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jan 11th, 2021 08:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 7594
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Scherer needs to go back to Compuserve.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 11:55 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > General Discussion > YOUR OPINION: FACEBOOK & TWITTER SUSPENDING DONALD TRUMP'S ACCOUNTS Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems