|View single post by lobo316|
|Posted: Wed Dec 24th, 2014 12:42 am||
|Bad news for the National League West: the San Diego Padres aren't finished with their offseason makeover just yet.
Padres general manager A.J. Preller has been aggressive in his pursuit this winter of improving his club's fortunes, bringing in All-Stars Matt Kemp, Justin Upton and Derek Norris, in addition to 2013 Rookie of the Year Wil Myers. The flurry of activity has left the Padres with a surplus of outfielders and more roster spots to upgrade.
Fortunately for the first-year GM, he has the support of his superiors.
"(There are) additional moves to come," Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler told Dennis Lin of U-T San Diego on Monday.
Fowler added that he won't curb Preller's spending, despite the team being well on its way to surpassing last year's Opening Day-record payroll of $90 million.
"He felt with the starting pitching, if we added some offense, we had a good chance to take a run at it this year," Fowler said of Preller. "He set out to do that, and he had a number of ideas. Frankly, these have been percolating for a time. ... I said, OK, let's go do it. If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly."
Assisting Preller's efforts was his ability to get the Los Angeles Dodgers to absorb more than a quarter of what remains on Kemp's contract. Fowler confirmed a report from the Associated Press on Monday that said the Padres will receive six $3 million installments from the Dodgers next season.
"That is one of the reasons we went after (impending free agent) Upton for 2015," Fowler admitted.
U-T San Diego reports the Dodgers will pay $32 million of Kemp's contract over the next five years.