|View single post by lobo316|
|Posted: Fri Jan 16th, 2015 05:11 pm||
|Alex Rodriguez has never lacked confidence.
The New York Yankees' 39-year-old designated hitter isn't giving up on the notion that he's a third baseman and will play the position this season in the Bronx.
Rodriguez, according to a Newsday report, believes the job is his to lose, even though the club signed Chase Headley to man the hot corner.
An unnamed source cited by Newsday's Steven Marcus said:
Alex's mind is that job's not Headley's, it's Alex's to lose. That's what he thinks. Alex is going into training camp thinking that he is the starting third baseman, that if there's a competition, Headley's got to win it from him. It doesn't matter about the money, what they signed Headley for. This guy (Rodriguez) can play.
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said in response:
We signed our third baseman, but Alex has to come in to compete for as much playing time as he can possibly get, so I would expect him to come in to be a two-way player, which is offense and defense.
Rodriguez is reportedly working out seven days a week in Florida and is in – wait for it – the best shape of his life. He's expected to report to spring training before Feb. 25, when players are required to be there.
Newsday's source added:
Alex learned a lot in the last year, and by the time he gets back on the field, it will almost be a year and a half. He's changed as a person. He's put his head down and he's working hard because he wants to play the game and respects the game, and he knows that he made some mistakes and the best way to atone for that is to just put your head down and go.