|View single post by lobo316|
|Posted: Wed Mar 1st, 2017 04:46 am||
|David Wright is dealing with yet another injury.
New York Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Tuesday that the oft-injured third baseman was diagnosed with a shoulder impingement and has been sent back to New York for further testing, according to Mike Puma from the New York Post.
Wright has no structural damage in his shoulder and is capable of hitting, but has been shut down from throwing. Alderson said the seven-time All-Star's status for Opening Day is now "questionable," reports Marc Carig from Newsday.
"He's not going to be throwing for a couple of weeks, probably not throwing with any real zip for a period after that," Alderson said, according to Matt Ehalt of The Record.
Wright began taking part in limited workouts earlier this month as he rehabbed from June's season-ending neck surgery. He received a planned PRP injection Feb. 18 and was cleared to begin throwing the following day.
"This discomfort that he's had has persisted throughout spring training," Alderson said.
Injuries have significantly impacted Wright's career, especially in recent years. He's appeared in just 75 games over the past two seasons and has missed almost 400 games since 2011.
At 34, Wright's inability to stay on the field remains a concern, but not to the point where Alderson is worried about Wright not being able to continue his career.
"I don't think we're at that point - the point where concern is at a more heightened level," Alderson said. "This is all part of the process from rehabilitating from the neck surgery and it's taking longer than David would have hoped - and we would have hoped - but its part of the process."
With Wright's injury, the door now opens for Jose Reyes to take over at third base. The utility infielder was expected to get some reps in the outfield this spring in order to increase his playing time.
Wright, who will earn $20 million this season, has four years, and $67 million remaining on his deal.