View single post by lobo316
 Posted: Sun Mar 12th, 2017 05:37 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43358
Status: 
Offline
Dalton Pompey, the Toronto Blue Jays outfielder currently serving as Team Canada's leadoff man, will go through Major League Baseball's concussion protocol after exiting Saturday's 4-1 loss to Colombia at the World Baseball Classic with mild dizziness - the result of a wonky headfirst slide into second base.

Pompey leaves game after rough-looking slide into second base #BlueJays pic.twitter.com/w8kctlYXT2

— ⚠️Guy On The Couch⚠️ (@6SportsGod1) March 11, 2017
Pompey, who suffered a concussion last year while playing for Triple-A Buffalo, was visited by a team trainer and appeared to be bleeding after slamming his face into the dirt as he stole second in the bottom of the sixth at Marlins Park, but stayed in the game to finish the inning.

He was replaced in center field by Rene Tosoni at the start of the seventh with Canada down two runs.

"At the end of the inning he came in, was feeling a little dizziness, so protocol, we took him out of the game," Team Canada manager Ernie Whitt told Sportsnet's Shi Davidi. "Everything on the field was done right. (Trainer) Mike (Frostad) did a nice job out there … and Pompey said he was fine and so, we go from there.”

Pompey will be re-examined Sunday, Whitt said, though it appears unlikely the 24-year-old plays in Sunday's Pool C finale against the United States.

"If he has symptoms or no symptoms, he still has to go through the process of the concussion protocol that you have to have," Whitt said. "So we’re taking precautions, all precautions that are necessary. But just what it is right now is deemed to be a possible mild concussion."