View single post by Arnold_OldSchool
 Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2018 06:09 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic


Joined: Wed Sep 28th, 2011
Posts: 1080

Oakey "Al" Albert Kite, Jr. was, by all accounts, a warm and friendly individual who had bounced around the United States (and even lived in Algeria for a time) working as an accountant / payroll professional. In 1998, 47-year-old Al moved to Aurora, CO for work (again as an accountant / payroll professional). The Denver area was a good fit for Al as he loved the outdoors (biking, hiking, skiing). He purchased a large town-home with the hopes of renting out the downstairs/basement area to tenants to provide extra income. Al settled into Colorado nicely: he had found some nice tenants to live with him; he had met and started dating a woman named Linda; and of course, he enjoyed Colorado's many outdoor-friendly attractions.


However, by 2004, Al would fall victim to a brutal and senseless murder that would leave many in the Aurora area (and really many who hear about this) traumatized and desperate for answers. At the start of 2004, Al's longtime tenants had moved out and his downstairs / basement space had become vacant once more. In an attempt to find a new tenant, Al listed a post in the local newspaper. A man who called himself Robert Cooper (not his real name) responded to the ad, and this would be the person to torture, brutalize, and viciously murder poor Al Kite. Cooper claimed that he had been reloacted to the area for his job at Wells Fargo. However, it would later be determined that no one matching Coopers name and description had ever worked for Wells Fargo; nor did any one working for Wells Fargo transfer into the area at that time. Al, of course not knowing any of that, thought the man seemed fine enough to rent to, so he offered him the downstairs area. Cooper signed the appropriate paperwork and even paid a deposit. Although the stranger's money was good, it was later determined that all of the essential information on the paper work had been falsified. Cooper's one request was that he asked Al to help him with a piece of furniture: a heavy recliner chair. This chair, it is believed, would ultimately be the chair that Al would be tortured and die upon. Al, being a nice guy, of course obliged to help the man. However, first Al needed to take his girlfriend to the airport, as she had planned a weekend get-away trip with some friends.


That would leave only Al and Robert Cooper alone at the home for the weekend.


On Friday, May 22, 2004, after dropping his girlfriend off at the airport for a trip she had already planned, Al returned home, and as promised, helped Robert Cooper with the large recliner. Unbeknownst to Al at the time, each cumbersome step down the stairs was slowly sealing his grisly fate.


It is believed that Cooper struck and subdued Al after he helped him get the recliner into the basement. Cooper then bound Al by the wrists and ankles and set him in a chair -- possibly even the recliner chair that he had just moments ago struggled to help Cooper carry down the stairs. After binding Al, Cooper went upstairs to fetch knives from Al's kitchen. Cooper then slowly tortured poor Al over several hours with Al's own kitchen knives. That night, Cooper stayed upstairs, sleeping in Al's bed; eating Al's food; showering and using the restroom in Al's bathroom. Then, he slipped off into the night (either on Saturday or Sunday) vanishing like a ghost or the grim reaper he had become.


By Monday, when Al didn't show up to work -- and when no one could reach him -- Al's sister (who lived out of state) asked police to do a welfare check on him. When police arrived, they found the greusome scene. His death has been described as "cruel, prolonged, and terrible," but other than that, few details have emerged as to the extent of Al's torture. However, if multiple knives were used to kill the poor man, any one's darkest imagination can clearly fill in the details as to how a person would go about torturing another person if one were so inclined.


Apparently, Al gave up his pin number to his debit card (probably very early on) to his killer. After killing Al, Cooper drove Al's truck to an ATM and withdrew some money (but not all) out of Al's checking account. Cooper was captured on surveillance video on the ATM camera; however, he obscured most of his face by wearing a ski mask -- only his eyes, parts of his uppper-cheeks, and the bridge of his long nose are visible, which can be seen here. Cooper later abandoned Al's truck and left the ATM receipts on the seat of the truck. Cooper would also dispose of Al's credit cards and cell phone at different spots around the Denver area.


Given that Robert Cooper did not take all of Al's money from his bank account, and given that Cooper left plenty of fingerprints and possibly DNA behind at the crime scene, and given that this was not necessarily a sexual crime, and furthermore given that Cooper knew that he would be caught on camera, police have surmised that "Robert Cooper" is/was likely a very methodical serial killer -- and that this wasn't his first kill.


Police also gleaned some very interesting things regarding the killer and his interactions with various people in the community. Firstly, Al was not the first person Robert tried to rent a room from.


Robert Cooper used a "burner phone" to look up rental properties in the Denver area. He purchased the phone at a store near the University of Colorado Medical School. He had visited and tried to rent from at least three different properties. On all of the application forms for renting, his information was completely false, but most were addresses on the Univesrity of Colorado Medical School campus. Also worth noting: a couple of the room-to-rent type properties that Cooper visited were only posted at the University of Coloarado library.


One woman reportedly refused him a room to rent, because she thought that something was "off" (if only Oakey had that feeling). Different renters claimed to have noticed different things about the man: one noted that he walked with a limp; another one didn't notice any limp. One noticed that he spoke with an accent, specficially a Romanian accent.


As to others who interacted with Robert Cooper, two people in particular give interesting stories. One is Linda, Al's girlfriend. Before she left on her trip, she recalled hearing Robert in Al's home. Linda was in the bathroom , and she heard Al tell Cooper that he wanted to introduce him to his girlfriend; however, when Linda came out into the living room, the man quickly retreated from the doorstep citing some excuse as to why he could not stay even a second to meet Linda. Luckily, Linda caught a glimpse of him as Cooper left: she described him as being in his 40s with dark, wavy hair, nicely-dressed, and of average height and build.


Another strange encounter: One of Al's neighbors reported meeting Cooper -- or at least attempting to meet him. The neighbor called out to the man, but Cooper "snubbed" him and avoided any interaction with the neighbor.


“Does she need an ambulance?” asked the 911 dispatcher. “No, she’s a nurse. She says to call an ambulance for the guy. He may be dead," responded the voice on the other end. 

In 2006, ER nurse Susan Kuhnhausen (later Susan Walter) divorced Mike Kuhnhausen, her husband of 17 years.  Walters endured years of mental and emotional abuse by her husband. She finally gained the courage to end the marriage and kicked Kuhnhausen out of their home.

Shortly after the marriage ended, Mr. Kuhnhausen was laid off from his janitorial job. With few options left, he decided he wanted their second home for himself. He knew Walters wouldn't easily give up the home and conspired a plan to have her murdered.

Mike responded by hiring a hit man to kill her.  He paid Edward Haffey $50,000 for the hit.

Kuhnhausen had met Edward Haffey at work. Haffey, a convicted murderer with a lengthy criminal history, agreed to kill Walters in exchange for $50,000.

On the evening of the attack, Walters arrived home from work and immediately noticed her bedroom was abnormally dark. Within moments Haffey appeared and lunged at her with a hammer.

The first blow hit Walters in the temple. She fought back.

For almost 15 minutes the two grappled. Walters was able to restrain the man multiple times and each time attempted to get information about who had hired him. Each time, he continued to viciously attack her with the hammer. 
Eventually, she was able to restrain and strangle the man to death.

Mike Kuhnhausen was charged with solicitation of aggravated murder and sentenced to 10 years in prison.

In 2008, Susan Walters won a $1 million civil court case against her estranged husband.

Kuhnhausen died in prison of prostate cancer  6 months prior to his release date.