View single post by Arnold_OldSchool
 Posted: Sat Feb 9th, 2019 05:47 am
PM Quote Reply Full Topic


Joined: Wed Sep 28th, 2011
Posts: 1077
Per request, we start this week with a little levity before we go dark once more...

Malaysian police were left red-faced after a man who abandoned the theft of a $280,000 Porsche for lack of fuel attempted the crime a second time and drove the sportscar out of a police station, local media said.

The suspect had first attempted the theft on Monday at a luxury car showroom in northern Penang state, local papers said. Dressed smartly in a suit and tie, he asked for the car keys and promptly sped off, smashing through the glass windows.

The car was later found abandoned a short distance away, its fuel tank empty.

The New Straits Times said the man kept the keys and returned with a canister of petrol to a local police station where the car had been towed. He drove off with the Porsche, ditching it later after he discovered roadblocks had been set up to stop him.

Police were hunting for the suspect, the paper said.


In 1979, Bill Comeans was a freshman in high school. What should have been an exciting new chapter in his life was marred by a series of threatening letters left for him ("You were warned") and for some of his friends ("Bill has three months to live, make the best of it")

One day he in September, he was assaulted by two men who knocked him off his bike, covered his head with a plastic bag and strangled him. He survived and his parents reported the attack to police.

Bill was again assaulted and strangled in October, this time he was choked with a rope and left for dead by the side of the road, but he recovered and staggered home to his parents who again contacted police and took Bill to the hospital because of the rope burns on his neck, scratches on his face and appearance of his face.

In January of 1980 he was taken from in front of his home and found dead. He'd been strangled then left face down in a snowy ditch two blocks from his house not 30 minutes after he disappeared.  His father found him just a block from their home in Columbus, Ohio, strangled by his own scarf. He was not dead yet, but passed away at a local hospital that very same night.

After he died the letters resumed and his neighbors were targeted but that letter writer, who did not murder Bill, was apprehended.

Comeans murder remains a cold case. His family has a twitter account in his name to try and keep the public interest up in hopes of a new lead forming.


​​​​​​​The Wyoming State Penitentiary's All Stars were a faint and short-lived meteor across America's baseball sky in the early years of the 20th century. Surely, however, there was never a team quite like them. To a man they were murderers and rapists, all of them sentenced to death. Back in 1911 in the US, death sentences were normally carried out within a few months, without the 10- or 20-year-long appeal process that is the norm now. The All Stars survived, for a while at least, thanks to a simple arrangement with their prison's baseball-obsessed warden, whose creation they were. Keep winning, Felix Alston made clear to his players, and he would ensure they received stays of execution.