WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Have you been in attendance for a Ric Flair match?

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Have you been in attendance for a Ric Flair match?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 05:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
victhestick



Joined: Mon Apr 27th, 2009
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 2468
Status: 
Offline
Saw Flair and Arn take on Doom in a cage in 1990, this was a house show at thw Mecca arena. Saw Flair vs Orton in a cage as well, this was the Taboo Tuesday ppv which became Cyber Sunday.



____________________
If it's and buts were candy and nuts, Americans would be even fatter.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 06:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16671
Status: 
Offline
pjstef wrote:
The first time I saw Ric Flair in person was at Night of Champions in early 1984 at Meadowlands, defending the title against Ricky Steamboat. Then he came back to NJ a few months later and defended against Harley Race, and again vs Sgt Slaughter in '85 and I went to those shows.

I saw him a dozen or so times at the Phila Civic Center from 1986 to 1989. The last time I saw him in person was in Phila in 3/89 when he faced Steamboat for (Steamboat's) NWA title.  That may have been the best match of his I ever saw up close. I am glad I saw him in his prime and prefer to remember the live matches that way.


Lucky! You saw some great matches of his. The Steamboat one from Philly I have a handheld of, and it's just as good as any of their other clashes from that time frame...maybe better.

The Steamboat match from 84 is legendary. The Race match was a really good one that was IIRC on the Pro Wrestling USA outing in New Jersey (with the tag team battleroyal). The Slaughter one got some TV time in the AWA because of Zurkov interfering to cost Sarge the title.

Myself? I had one chance to see flair live here, on a WWF card back in the day...he was supposed to wretle Savage for the title, but he no-showed the card and we got Savage vs. Kamala instead. :X

That sucked hugely.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 06:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
C.C. Milani

 

Joined: Wed Oct 7th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 808
Status: 
Offline
I am very lucky. Offhand I got to see Flair live:

vs Steamboat in 1984 (Meadowlands match)

vs Funk in 1989, several times.

vs Steamboat in 1989, several times.

vs Bret Hart in 1993.

vs Ricky Morton in 1986 in a match that was so good it was mind-blowing.

vs Randy Savage in 1992.

vs Hogan in 1991, several times AND the matches were really good.

vs Windham in 1987.

vs Road Warrior Hawk in 1986.

vs Dusty Rhodes in 1985 and 1986.

vs Lex Luger in 1988.

vs Sting in 1988.

Flair was GOD. A lot of the wrestlers took it easy on house shows, but never Flair. And when I say never, I mean never.

I know it's the internet and when someone gets overpraised there's a backlash. Flair has not been an exception. People have gone out of their way to find flaws in Flair, and now they can take shots at him over his financial problems. But make no mistake- if you bought a ticket to a wrestling show that had Ric Flair on it, you were going to see an excellent match, no questions asked.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 07:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18325
Status: 
Offline
Sept 1 1992 HersheyPark Arena Hershey PA

Ric Flair defeated Randy Savage to become a two time WWF World Champion.



____________________
"22 years of my fucking life just got fucking ruined!!!!"---Fan outside Wrestlemania XXX

PRO WRESTLING HALL OF FAME: http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/old (updated September 2 2018)

RIP UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1776-2016
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 07:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
pjstef



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2186
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote: pjstef wrote:
The first time I saw Ric Flair in person was at Night of Champions in early 1984 at Meadowlands, defending the title against Ricky Steamboat. Then he came back to NJ a few months later and defended against Harley Race, and again vs Sgt Slaughter in '85 and I went to those shows.

I saw him a dozen or so times at the Phila Civic Center from 1986 to 1989. The last time I saw him in person was in Phila in 3/89 when he faced Steamboat for (Steamboat's) NWA title.  That may have been the best match of his I ever saw up close. I am glad I saw him in his prime and prefer to remember the live matches that way.


The Steamboat one from Philly I have a handheld of, and it's just as good as any of their other clashes from that time frame...maybe better.

The Steamboat match from 84 is legendary. The Race match was a really good one that was IIRC on the Pro Wrestling USA outing in New Jersey (with the tag team battleroyal). The Slaughter one got some TV time in the AWA because of Zurkov interfering to cost Sarge the title.



I can spot myself along the rail during the Flair/Slaughter footage they showed on Pro Wrest USA, I got a flag handed out by Sarge before the match. That run-in by Zukhov came completely out of nowhere and sort of killed the match.

The match at Night of Champions was very good, boy was the house disappointed Steamboat lost. Flair-Steamboat was the grand finale in a Night of Champions where not one title changed hands. Unlike a typical WWF show of the day where babyfaces go over for whatever last match, in this case the crowd left pissed that night.

The Flair match against Race from I think June '84 (similar finish if I recall/reversed cross body press) did not have the crowd into it as much. I have not seen either Meadowlands match since, but one was pro shot and one was from Spanish TV? I may come to you for some of that footage, Kevin!:D

The Flair-Steamboat match at Philly, everyone was on their feet for the last 5 mins or so. I think RF shot that handheld footage.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Chitown Rich

 

Joined: Mon Aug 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 819
Status: 
Offline

Saw Flair way back at The Amphitheatre in 1973 as a rookie losing to Jimmy Valiant.

Saw him many times after that and I'll be the first to admit that I didn't think he'd be a star but he sure proved me wrong. One of the all time greats for sure.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
Nope - Naitch no-showed 2 cards in Montreal that I went too. The first one was against one of the Rougeaus ( I think it was Raymond ) at the Paul Sauve Centre. All we got was some mumbled explanation by the ring announcer( in French only so I still have no idea what was said ) and then some big fat guy wearing a black mask walked to the ring and got pinned in about 45 seconds. The 2nd time was at The Montreal Forum against Dino Bravo. This time the explanation was that he missed his flight. Pierre " Mad Dog " Lefebvre replaced Flair and actually had a pretty good match. That night was filled with no shows - Blackjack Mulligan, Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody all no-showed.

Last edited on Wed Feb 17th, 2010 07:20 pm by CanadianHorseman



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 07:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
pjstef



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2186
Status: 
Offline
C.C. Milani wrote: Flair was GOD. A lot of the wrestlers took it easy on house shows, but never Flair. And when I say never, I mean never.

I know it's the internet and when someone gets overpraised there's a backlash. Flair has not been an exception. People have gone out of their way to find flaws in Flair, and now they can take shots at him over his financial problems. But make no mistake- if you bought a ticket to a wrestling show that had Ric Flair on it, you were going to see an excellent match, no questions asked.


Agree 100%.

He sold everything, not just himself and the NWA title but also his opponents and the importance of his matches. Everything about Flair made the match he participated in, a Big Deal.

To me the Attitude and nWo era top guys tried to gain a rock star type of appeal. Totally different.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 07:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
C.C. Milani

 

Joined: Wed Oct 7th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 808
Status: 
Offline
CanadianHorseman wrote:
Nope - Naitch no-showed 2 cards in Montreal that I went too. The first one was against one of the Rougeaus ( I think it was Raymond ) at the Paul Sauve Centre. All we got was some mumbled explanation by the ring announcer( in French only so I still have no idea what was said ) and then some big fat guy wearing a black mask walked to the ring and got pinned in about 45 seconds. The 2nd time was at The Montreal Forum against Dino Bravo. This time the explanation was that he missed his flight. Pierre " Mad Dog " Lefebvre replaced Flair and actually had a pretty good match. That night was filled with no shows - Blackjack Mulligan, Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody all no-showed.

Sounds to me that may have been a case of false advertising as opposed to no-shows.

Did any of the wrestlers send in promos for the show?

Last edited on Wed Feb 17th, 2010 07:29 pm by C.C. Milani

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 08:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Hammer to Fall



Joined: Wed Nov 7th, 2007
Location: Near An Enigma
Posts: 1860
Status: 
Offline
Both times were in Albany, Ga., whose Civic Center is terrible and town is even worse. No one has ever drawn well in Albany. Meltzer stated that the crowd for the January card was 4,000 and that was considered quite good.

Super Bowl Sunday, 2006: Matinee. Beat Shelton Benjamin as I-C champ. Delivered a pretty good promo before the match.

September 2006: Teamed with Triple H as a sub for Shawn Michaels. Beat Viscera and Charlie Haas, then Trevor Murdoch and Lance Cade.



____________________
Cork on the ocean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 08:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Bix



Joined: Tue Nov 20th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1607
Status: 
Offline


Pretty sure that the match time is wrong but:
WWF @ Long Island, NY - Nassau Coliseum - December 27, 1992 (9,200) (matinee)
Lance Cassidy defeated Repo Man
Damien Demento defeated Tito Santana
The Bushwhackers & Tiger Jackson defeated the Beverly Brothers & Little Mighty Moses
Randy Savage fought WWF IC Champion Shawn Michaels to a double count-out
Jim Duggan defeated the Brooklyn Brawler
WWF Tag Team Champions Ted Dibiase & IRS defeated the Nasty Boys
WWF World Champion Bret Hart defeated Ric Flair at around the 50-minute mark

IIRC the match was closer to 20-30 minutes.





Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 09:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
carlton st

 

Joined: Sat Oct 27th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1195
Status: 
Offline
I first saw him live back in 1978 at Maple Leaf Gardens. Saw him at least 4-5 times each year during Torontos' time booking talent from JCP up to 1984, then sporadically after that

that ..except to '83 when I stopped going, always a big night when Flair came to town



____________________


Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 09:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Chrisstlouis

 

Joined: Thu Jun 11th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2397
Status: 
Offline
He was the main event of the 1st card I saw live. April 3, 1981. Kiel Auditorium

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 09:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
C.C. Milani wrote: I am very lucky. Offhand I got to see Flair live:

vs Steamboat in 1984 (Meadowlands match)

vs Funk in 1989, several times.

vs Steamboat in 1989, several times.

vs Bret Hart in 1993.

vs Ricky Morton in 1986 in a match that was so good it was mind-blowing.

vs Randy Savage in 1992.

vs Hogan in 1991, several times AND the matches were really good.

vs Windham in 1987.

vs Road Warrior Hawk in 1986.

vs Dusty Rhodes in 1985 and 1986.

vs Lex Luger in 1988.

vs Sting in 1988.

Flair was GOD. A lot of the wrestlers took it easy on house shows, but never Flair. And when I say never, I mean never.

I know it's the internet and when someone gets overpraised there's a backlash. Flair has not been an exception. People have gone out of their way to find flaws in Flair, and now they can take shots at him over his financial problems. But make no mistake- if you bought a ticket to a wrestling show that had Ric Flair on it, you were going to see an excellent match, no questions asked.



I saw him several times too and agree totally. His matches were ALWAYS excellent when I saw him, no matter who the opponent. I did wish that he altered the routine more. I was getting tired or the same stuff over and over, but he did it so well and worked so hard that I'd still leave the match thinking it was top notch.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2010 09:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
BayouBoogie



Joined: Wed Oct 17th, 2007
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana USA
Posts: 6864
Status: 
Offline
CanadianHorseman wrote: Nope - Naitch no-showed 2 cards in Montreal that I went too. The first one was against one of the Rougeaus ( I think it was Raymond ) at the Paul Sauve Centre. All we got was some mumbled explanation by the ring announcer( in French only so I still have no idea what was said ) and then some big fat guy wearing a black mask walked to the ring and got pinned in about 45 seconds. The 2nd time was at The Montreal Forum against Dino Bravo. This time the explanation was that he missed his flight. Pierre " Mad Dog " Lefebvre replaced Flair and actually had a pretty good match. That night was filled with no shows - Blackjack Mulligan, Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody all no-showed.

First time I went to see him he no-showed. It was supposed to be against Duggan and the reason given was a staph infection (but other things I've seen on tapes and read in sheets lead me to believe there was some friction in the agreement between Watts and Crockett).  We got Duggan and Cooley vs Kareem Muhammed and Ackbar in a coal miner's glove match instead (the heels won with the El Corsario run-in finish from the Super Dome match).

They promised the Flair-Duggan rematch for next time and we got it. It was a classic and led to me not missing a local show (and going to a significant number of out of town shows) over the next 8 years or so.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 01:44 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Have you been in attendance for a Ric Flair match? Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems