WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Researcher Tools  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 24th, 2013 06:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
46th Post
Kriss



Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 4957
Status: 
Offline
Fantasmagori wrote:
I still have a subscription. Paying $120 for a full year. The price went up 50% two years ago, but since then, there have been no changes.

Not good value to pay $69.95 every three months, then. They don't offer a three month price any more, which might be where the price got screwed up. I'll probably re subscribe again in a few months.



____________________
https://www.facebook.com/AmarilloWrestling
https://wweoldschool.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/krisswrestling
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Sep 4th, 2013 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
47th Post
clipcorner

 

Joined: Sat Nov 17th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 110
Status: 
Offline
http://www.elephind.com/

I just found this website earlier today. I have found a few Canberra Australia clippings. I haven't checked it out enough yet to know what other newspapers are available.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Sep 8th, 2013 11:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
48th Post
Fantasmagori

 

Joined: Sat Jan 22nd, 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 224
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote:
Fantasmagori wrote:
I still have a subscription. Paying $120 for a full year. The price went up 50% two years ago, but since then, there have been no changes.

Not good value to pay $69.95 every three months, then. They don't offer a three month price any more, which might be where the price got screwed up. I'll probably re subscribe again in a few months.


My subscription is up. There is no longer an option to pay for a full year. Half a year costs $99.95, which is borderline outrageous. I'm seriously considering not resubbing.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Nov 25th, 2013 05:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
49th Post
Kriss



Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 4957
Status: 
Offline
Has anyone ever used http://www.newspapers.com/? I've found a little trick you can use to get their articles (but not clippings) for free.

Do a Google search of:

"search query" site:newspapers.com

Click on a result, and scroll down to the "OCR text" box, and all the text from that page of the newspaper is available.

Last edited on Mon Nov 25th, 2013 05:05 am by Kriss



____________________
https://www.facebook.com/AmarilloWrestling
https://wweoldschool.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/krisswrestling
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Nov 25th, 2013 08:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
50th Post
Fantasmagori

 

Joined: Sat Jan 22nd, 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 224
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote:
Has anyone ever used http://www.newspapers.com/? I've found a little trick you can use to get their articles (but not clippings) for free.

Do a Google search of:

"search query" site:newspapers.com

Click on a result, and scroll down to the "OCR text" box, and all the text from that page of the newspaper is available.


I have an account. Speed and search features are great, as is the clipping tool. The best part is the constant stream of new content though, even if most of it has appeared on other newspaper sites before.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Nov 25th, 2013 08:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
51st Post
Kriss



Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 4957
Status: 
Offline
Fantasmagori wrote:
Kriss wrote:
Has anyone ever used http://www.newspapers.com/? I've found a little trick you can use to get their articles (but not clippings) for free.

Do a Google search of:

"search query" site:newspapers.com

Click on a result, and scroll down to the "OCR text" box, and all the text from that page of the newspaper is available.


I have an account. Speed and search features are great, as is the clipping tool. The best part is the constant stream of new content though, even if most of it has appeared on other newspaper sites before.


It seems to be the same stuff as Newspaper Archive. Is it a better service?



____________________
https://www.facebook.com/AmarilloWrestling
https://wweoldschool.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/krisswrestling
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Nov 25th, 2013 10:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
52nd Post
Fantasmagori

 

Joined: Sat Jan 22nd, 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 224
Status: 
Offline
It's cheaper, faster and fully searchable. No clue how the customer service is yet, but so far I'm liking it more than newspaperarchives.com which I found unwieldy most of the time.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Nov 25th, 2013 05:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
53rd Post
Kriss



Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 4957
Status: 
Offline
Fantasmagori wrote:
It's cheaper, faster and fully searchable. No clue how the customer service is yet, but so far I'm liking it more than newspaperarchives.com which I found unwieldy most of the time.

I just signed up for the 7-day trial. So far it's excellent. Seems to be the same newspapers as NA, but much faster and easier to use.



____________________
https://www.facebook.com/AmarilloWrestling
https://wweoldschool.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/krisswrestling
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Nov 25th, 2013 10:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
54th Post
clipcorner

 

Joined: Sat Nov 17th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 110
Status: 
Offline
If you have complete access to the website, I have some Waco Tx, Kansas City & Ottawa clippings posted on the "My Clippings" section. You may be able to access them.
I was saving them to post the material here, just haven't had the spare time from work. You're more than welcome to copy them if you can get to them.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Nov 28th, 2013 07:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
55th Post
CW Hall

 

Joined: Sat Nov 17th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 931
Status: 
Offline
http://www.newspapers.com/ started an early Black Friday special today. $47.95 for a one year subscription.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 24th, 2015 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
56th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 3302
Status: 
Offline
The Palm Beach Post and Miami News were deleted from the Google Newspaper Archive without warning last week. I know of people who were using them for research as late as the afternoon they were pulled, only to back that evening to find them gone. I have no idea of the reason. Cox Enterprises, the owner of the content, can't possibly believe that putting them behind some paywall will be a revenue producer. Anyway, they're gone which is too bad because there was information there hadn't been tapped yet.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Nov 26th, 2015 07:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
57th Post
indikator



Joined: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009
Location: Bratenwender City, Germany
Posts: 2332
Status: 
Offline
I just had a google hit for https://pbpost.newspapers.com so that is probably the answer. The fuckers at Newspapers.com are currently moving a lot of stuff in order to earn more money with premium collections or whatever you might want to call it. So you subscribe to NP and they say you get "unlimited access".Fuck that, it's nowadays more like "Didn't you always want to pay for LOC? Now you can with a basic subscription to Newspapers.com!"



____________________
The Don Owen signature has been retired as the Dean Silverstone book made the point that he was an antisemite. I shall give you a Greatmuta1025 approved Hello Kitty picture instead.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 15th, 2016 03:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
58th Post
indikator



Joined: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009
Location: Bratenwender City, Germany
Posts: 2332
Status: 
Offline
So it seems that Newspapers.com is now "just" trying to get you to subscribe to a premium section for $139.90/year

It's at least better than having to shell out close to 10 bucks for a single one of these papers a month.
https://www.newspapers.com/choose-a-plan/#included-with-extra

...
Palm Beach Post 1916–2004
...



____________________
The Don Owen signature has been retired as the Dean Silverstone book made the point that he was an antisemite. I shall give you a Greatmuta1025 approved Hello Kitty picture instead.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 15th, 2016 03:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
59th Post
Kriss



Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 4957
Status: 
Offline
indikator wrote: So it seems that Newspapers.com is now "just" trying to get you to subscribe to a premium section for $139.90/year

It's at least better than having to shell out close to 10 bucks for a single one of these papers a month.
https://www.newspapers.com/choose-a-plan/#included-with-extra

...
Palm Beach Post 1916–2004
...


It would be useful if that list included the towns.



____________________
https://www.facebook.com/AmarilloWrestling
https://wweoldschool.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/krisswrestling
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue May 2nd, 2017 12:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
60th Post
DaClyde

 

Joined: Mon Apr 3rd, 2017
Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA
Posts: 13
Status: 
Offline
A couple of other newspaper sites not listed here are the Library of Congress's Chronicling America, which includes a lot of papers, but all before about 1925. So great for the really old stuff.

For pay, there is also GenealogyBank.com, which is a product of Newsbank.com, and cost something like $70 a year. It has almost a completely different set of newspapers from Newspapers.com.

Last edited on Tue May 2nd, 2017 12:22 am by DaClyde

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 12:05 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Clawmaster's Archives > Researcher Tools Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems