WowBB Forums Home 

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 50182
Status: 
Offline
Don't woory, no spoilers, although I really think this needed to end with the trilogy.  The "twist" was fairly lame and predictable this time, and also pretty similar to a previous twist.  I enjoyed the backstory on Jigsaw.  I appreciated the attempt to connect II and III, although it was sloppy and confusing.  They went with less pyschological thriller and more physical thriller this time around, it was certainly the goriest Saw yet by quite a bit.  It's fine for what it is but I expect more from these movies.  And they guaranteed a Saw V so now they're just getting greedy.

A little side note.  Almost everyone got carded at the theater.  I don't know if it was theater policy.  The line was out the door and it took almost 45 minutes to get in.  Now me being me, I don't put up with idiocy.  So I got up to the ticket counter and ordered my ticket.  The woman there was like 45, not exactly a college kid.  She asked for ID.  I said I'm 31.  She said she needs to see ID anyway.  I asked her if she really thought I looked 16.  She said "I want to keep my job".   So I gave her my ID with my business card and told her that it might be time for her to get a real job that requires the occassional independent thought.  This seemed to go over her head (no surprise).  So when she gave me my change of a quarter I told her to keep it because she obviously needs it more than me.  Am I a prick?  Probably.  Do I care?  No.  I don't put up with nonsense that delays me 45 minutes when I just want to see a fucking movie.  Then I go into the theater, the kid (this was a guy about 20 this time) asked to see ID again when he ripped my ticket off.  I didn't even say anything this time.  At least he has time to improve his lot in life.

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41931
Status: 
Offline
Am I a prick?  Probably.  Do I care?  No.

Lil' bit.

Wouldn't be my schtick but there are plenty of people between Philly and New York with the same patience level.

Sounds like the theatre got in trouble recently and there has been a crackdown. Hence the request for ID from both a cashier and an usher. Also her response to you "I need to keep my job" would indicate that as well.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 50182
Status: 
Offline
I don't think they necessarily got in trouble recently, I just think that with certain movies there's some type of memo that goes around to every theater owner who then tells his minimum wage earners something along the lines of this "This is a really, really bad movie so if you have any doubt at all, card."  I say that because the Heartbreak Kid was playing last night too, and I don't think anyone was carded for that.  And in the past I've noticed this sort of thing only for particular movies, like "South Park", the only other time I've been carded at the theater.  So my point is, you have some idiot behind the counter who has no common sense and wants to make SURE she doesn't fuck up, so she over-cards to such a ridiculous degree that it causes a massive line for a movie that already has gotten a lot of hype and is sure to be very popular and have massive lines anyway. 

It just is a very small but telling experiment in why certain people have certain jobs.  It's not necessarily an intelligence issue since not being able to tell 31 from 16 isn't that type of issue.  It's a common sense and "Oh my God, I'm scared to think for myself and do anything wrong" type of issue.  Anyone that's had a real job, advanced to a management type of level, knows that a dozen decisions a day routinely have to be made that are borderline and sometimes might even break "company policy", but you do it for common sense reasons because business is business.  And people that are stuck in minimum wage jobs are paralyzed by the simplest judgment calls.  I just find that sort of thing interesting, I guess because I'm a recruiter and have to make judgment calls on a daily basis on who will and will not be a fit for certain jobs.

And aside from that, does anyone around my age remember years ago, when we were 10, 12, 14 years old just buying a ticket for an R-rated movie with no problem at all?  It was just "1 for Friday the 13th please" and boom, you're in and you haven't hit puberty yet.  What the fuck has happened to society?

Last edited on Sat Oct 27th, 2007 10:39 pm by srossi

khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 15857
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote:  Now me being me, I don't put up with idiocy. 

 

How can you say this with ten-thousand plus posts on pro wrestling message boards? :?

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 50182
Status: 
Offline
I call people on their idiocy routinely and get occassionally flamed for it.

gwlee7



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 5317
Status: 
Offline
Idiocy is a matter of perspective.

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41931
Status: 
Offline
Anyone that's had a real job, advanced to a management type of level, knows that a dozen decisions a day routinely have to be made that are borderline and sometimes might even break "company policy", but you do it for common sense reasons because business is business.  And people that are stuck in minimum wage jobs are paralyzed by the simplest judgment calls.  I just find that sort of thing interesting, I guess because I'm a recruiter and have to make judgment calls on a daily basis on who will and will not be a fit for certain jobs.

Not sure it's that simple. As a General manager in the restaurant industry I worked for some people (District Managers) that could get away with anything they wanted.

I latched onto another company and got promoted to a District Manager. I eventually got laid off as part of a budget cut. A few days after I was laid off one of the District Managers (still employed there) was calling me for advice on how to handle certain situations.

Bottomline: I was the more experienced person. I was also producing better results. My tits and ass weren't as pleasant to the owner (50+ year old man)

It can depend on who you work for and if you are "in good with them". There are just other pieces to things.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 50182
Status: 
Offline
Well definitely, I'm not saying that, but you were at a management level in the first place because you can make those decisions.  Lay offs and politics happen, but you're not going to regress to a cashier.  You'll be looking for future jobs at the level that you've proven you're capable of handling.   And even if the tits and ass chick isn't as good as you, I'm sure she's not as dense as someone at the minimum wage level either.  If she is, she won't last long.  I've seeb a few people get jobs because of looks but I've never seen any keep the job unless it's just a complete front for an affair.

Last edited on Sat Oct 27th, 2007 11:29 pm by srossi

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9876
Status: 
Offline
Somebody e-mail Rossi.  I think Adam Fury hacked his account.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 50182
Status: 
Offline
Adam Fury?  What does that mean?  I didn't mention being a born-again Christian or my hot daughter.

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9876
Status: 
Offline
Adam Fury gets pissed that cops pull him over when he breaks the law.

You get pissed when people do their job and card people.  If the policy is to card everybody then you should get carded  too.  Why the fuck should you get special treatment?  Did you get a hard on when you belittled someone for doing their job?  Next you'll be suplexing you cat to death.  I think the story makes you look like an asshole.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 50182
Status: 
Offline
Well I admitted I was probably a prick and not too concerned about being one in this case.  That said, her job was to use her judgment, a job that proved too difficult for her.  I was belittled for being carded at 31 and having to practically jump through hoops and unnecessarily wait 45 minutes for the priviledge of giving my money away. 

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9876
Status: 
Offline
Or you could have seen something else, or gone to a different theater.  No one forced you to stand in line. 

You say her job was to use her judgement, but it sounds like her job was to card everybody.  If the guy who says card everybdy is paying the bills then you card everybody.  If the prick flipping you a quarter is paying the bills then don't card everyone.

I just thought you came off sounding like Adam Fury bitching about a speeding ticket.

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41931
Status: 
Offline
I wouldn't blame the employees. Nor the management of the movie theater.

They probably got some ridiculous direction from their upper management " YOU MUST card everyone who even looks like they are under 30 for this movie" ..... and then the employees and managers get stuck holding the bag.

BigJ



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: The Bottom Of Lake Millerton
Posts: 6935
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote:  My tits and ass weren't as pleasant to the owner (50+ year old man)




Beej, I just wanna say that I'm here because your tits and ass are pleasant.


The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9876
Status: 
Offline
BigJ wrote: beejmi wrote:  My tits and ass weren't as pleasant to the owner (50+ year old man)




Beej, I just wanna say that I'm here because your tits and ass are pleasant.



Yeah Beej, don't sell yourself short.

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41931
Status: 
Offline
I went to the grocery store tonight and (as usual) in my weekly visit I did purchase eggs and toilet paper along with meat, desserts, paper goods, etc.

I was ASKED FOR I.D. because I purchased toilet paper and eggs and it happens to be MISCHIEF NIGHT.

As much as I ripped Srossi in this thread yesterday, I turned into "Srossi Jr" in line at the checkout counter.

Fuckwads.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 50182
Status: 
Offline
Oh, it would be fucking GENOCIDE if I got carded for doing my regular shopping.  Like a 30 year old is going to buy a shopping cart full of groceries that probably costs $100 just to sneak in the toilet paper.  That would be an immediate calling for the manager where I would make such a stink I guarantee they'd comp me for the entire cart.  I'm not the type that runs to the manager, but on the 2 or 3 occasions that I've been so pissed that I did, you'd be amazed what they give you for free just to shut you up.  My father did it all the time and would embarrass the hell out of me, but if you complain to the right person you get an apology and free shit 95% of the time.  I just do it on the very rare occasions that I'm justifiably outraged, he did it just for the sake of complaining and I have to say it really works.  But I never complain expecting to get something for free because I don't need their money, I need them to use common sense and make people's experiences less frustrating.

Last edited on Wed Oct 31st, 2007 02:31 am by srossi

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41931
Status: 
Offline
I had $80 of shit. Toilet paper and eggs combining for $4 of it. I stayed away from genocide though so maybe I still have a bit to learn.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 50182
Status: 
Offline
You have much to learn, grasshopper.  THat's just a slap in the face to you as a customer spending your hard-earned money at their store.  Ridiculous.   Even 300% more unreasonable than my story, maybe 350%.

Last edited on Wed Oct 31st, 2007 02:35 am by srossi

Kid_Naitch



Joined: Tue Oct 30th, 2007
Location: IOWA
Posts: 4903
Status: 
Offline
Just don't try to buy NyQuill. You need to pass a UA for that one. :(

bingo914

 

Joined: Tue Oct 16th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 329
Status: 
Offline
Kid_Naitch wrote: Just don't try to buy NyQuill. You need to pass a UA for that one. :(

Same with Sudafed. I went to buy some for my kid a couple weeks back and I had to fill out all this paper work and they had to check me in the computer. I guess it is now used for making Meth or whatever you do with it. Who knew.

The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9876
Status: 
Offline
Rossi, I thought of you first hour today and couldn't wait to post this.  Ya know just to needle you a bit.

I asked my first hour class if they had fun trick or treating last night.  One of the kids in my class said they didn't go, because they went to see Saw IV.  No carding for the 10 year olds. 

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 50182
Status: 
Offline
He probably went with his grandmother, who would've been carded at my theater.



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems