WowBB Forums Home 

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 43108
Status: 
Offline
Only two teams in history have ever made the playoffs after starting 0-6

No team has ever won the World Series after such a start

 

PeteF3

 

Joined: Thu Dec 6th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1476
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: Only two teams in history have ever made the playoffs after starting 0-6
And yet all 8 playoff teams had a 6-game losing streak last year. Some of them had two.

I'm not saying everything is rosy in Beantown but if this stretch happened in June no one would pay any mind to it.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52450
Status: 
Offline
Yeah well no baseball team ever won a 7 game series after losing the first 3 either.  It's 6 games, I'll let the Boston fans panic but the rest of us know that one week means nothing. 

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
I'm not panicking by any stretch of the imagination, but still, I'm like "What the fuck?!? ((tm) stingmark)"

It's tough to win when your hitting, you starting pitching and your relief pitching shit the bed at the same time.  From a starting pitching perspective, I guess today's game was a step in the right direction, as Lester went 7 and gave up no runs, and helped lower the team ERA from 8.33 to 7.13.  The bad news is Bard blew it again and he hitting continues to suck eggs; they entered this game with a .190 batting average, and it actually decreased to .181.

They'll win at some point...I just hope it's soon.

stone2k



Joined: Mon Nov 29th, 2010
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts USA
Posts: 8946
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote:
I'm not panicking by any stretch of the imagination, but still, I'm like "What the fuck?!? ((tm) stingmark)"


They'll win at some point...I just hope it's soon.


This.

Last edited on Thu Apr 7th, 2011 08:52 pm by stone2k

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52450
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: I'm not panicking by any stretch of the imagination, but still, I'm like "What the fuck?!? ((tm) stingmark)"

I just saw the way the Sox lost today with the pinch runner getting caught off second because he took too big a turn in a 1-0 game.  Wow, maybe it is time to panic.  :)

Chrisstlouis

 

Joined: Thu Jun 11th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2397
Status: 
Offline
ha ha bitches

3setsof10

 

Joined: Mon May 26th, 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1794
Status: 
Offline
Chrisstlouis wrote: ha ha bitches
LOL

BuddyPSHayes



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Anywhere I Damn Well Please
Posts: 3916
Status: 
Offline
**BONG**

Only one undefeated team left in MLB, and it's not the Yankees or Phillies.

stone2k



Joined: Mon Nov 29th, 2010
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts USA
Posts: 8946
Status: 
Offline
BuddyPSHayes wrote:
**BONG**

Only one undefeated team left in MLB, and it's not the Yankees or Phillies.


I just hope the Sox win before Texas loses.

Mick



Joined: Thu Nov 8th, 2007
Location: Wichita, Kansas USA
Posts: 666
Status: 
Offline
Red Sox sucking?

LIKE.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 43108
Status: 
Offline
From the Boston Herald about a month ago


srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52450
Status: 
Offline
Predictions for the home opener today against the Yanks?  I think they get a huge ovation when introduced, then fall behind 2-0 in the first when Lackey gives up a bomb to Teixeira and the boos will rain down.  The Sox will likely take at least one game this series but how beautiful would it be if they got swept and went to 0-9?

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Predictions for the home opener today against the Yanks?  I think they get a huge ovation when introduced, then fall behind 2-0 in the first when Lackey gives up a bomb to Teixeira and the boos will rain down.  The Sox will likely take at least one game this series but how beautiful would it be if they got swept and went to 0-9?
Dislike

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: From the Boston Herald about a month ago



What's so great about Newbury Street's Frozen Yogurt wars?  Try to stay on topic, beej, willya? 

Sheesh.

yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3822
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: Only two teams in history have ever made the playoffs after starting 0-6

No team has ever won the World Series after such a start

 

I'd rather suck in April than in Sept...it's a long season and league parity makes it more possible to come back now than in the past.



 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
yellowdog wrote: beejmi wrote: Only two teams in history have ever made the playoffs after starting 0-6

No team has ever won the World Series after such a start

 

I'd rather suck in April than in Sept...it's a long season and league parity makes it more possible to come back now than in the past.

Parity can also make it harder too.  Suddenly, the other teams in the league that you are counting on getting wins against catch up a bit and make your schedule harder.

khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16317
Status: 
Online
I'd rather have my losing streak later in the year. Early on, teams that don't realize how bad they suck will play above their heads and beat teams that they really shouldn't beat more often. By the middle of the year, I would guess that it's easier to beat the bad teams into mental submission because they have become more accustomed to losing.

 

 

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
Might I just state for the record that I have it on good authority that John Lackey sucks big hairy man balls.

Top of the 1st, NYY 2, BOS 0

yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3822
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote: I'd rather have my losing streak later in the year. Early on, teams that don't realize how bad they suck will play above their heads and beat teams that they really shouldn't beat more often. By the middle of the year, I would guess that it's easier to beat the bad teams into mental submission because they have become more accustomed to losing.

 

 

makes sense.  I guess I just think: more games to play = more games to win

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: Might I just state for the record that I have it on good authority that John Lackey sucks big hairy man balls.

Top of the 1st, NYY 2, BOS 0

Thank God Dusty Pete came to play

NYY 2 BOS 1

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52450
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: Might I just state for the record that I have it on good authority that John Lackey sucks big hairy man balls.

Top of the 1st, NYY 2, BOS 0

I reiterate my previous prediction of:

Predictions for the home opener today against the Yanks?  I think they get a huge ovation when introduced, then fall behind 2-0 in the first when Lackey gives up a bomb to Teixeira and the boos will rain down.  The Sox will likely take at least one game this series but how beautiful would it be if they got swept and went to 0-9?

Pretty close.  I'm taping the game and would prefer not to know everything that happens so I'm going to bow out of this thread now.

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: Might I just state for the record that I have it on good authority that John Lackey sucks big hairy man balls.

Top of the 1st, NYY 2, BOS 0

I reiterate my previous prediction of:

Predictions for the home opener today against the Yanks?  I think they get a huge ovation when introduced, then fall behind 2-0 in the first when Lackey gives up a bomb to Teixeira and the boos will rain down.  The Sox will likely take at least one game this series but how beautiful would it be if they got swept and went to 0-9?

Pretty close.  I'm taping the game and would prefer not to know everything that happens so I'm going to bow out of this thread now.

I'm going to PM you the final score.

Last edited on Fri Apr 8th, 2011 06:28 pm by dogfacedgremlin34

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6674
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote:
Might I just state for the record that I have it on good authority that John Lackey sucks big hairy man balls.

Top of the 1st, NYY 2, BOS 0


If you have it on such good authority, then we know who's big hairy man balls he sucking at least!

Guess we could say John's your Lackey! Or is it Lickey?

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Any chance that Francona gets Fired if things don't turn around by the end of April?

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
Angelic Assassin wrote: dogfacedgremlin34 wrote:
Might I just state for the record that I have it on good authority that John Lackey sucks big hairy man balls.

Top of the 1st, NYY 2, BOS 0


If you have it on such good authority, then we know who's big hairy man balls he sucking at least!

Guess we could say John's your Lackey! Or is it Lickey?

I'm already booking a flight to Toronto.  Am I going to have to make a side trip to whatever inbred logcutter's outhouse you call your apartment to smack you in the mush as well?

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: Any chance that Francona gets Fired if things don't turn around by the end of April?
No chance.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: freebirdsforever2001 wrote: Any chance that Francona gets Fired if things don't turn around by the end of April?
No chance.

Why?

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: freebirdsforever2001 wrote: Any chance that Francona gets Fired if things don't turn around by the end of April?
No chance.

Why?


At the moment, he's pretty much untouchable.  The general feel in this town right now isn't so much that it's Tito's fault, but just a collection of guys who weren't quite ready for the regular season to start.  I'd have to think that he'll make it through the season regardless of finish, but if they finish out of the playoffs or--God forbid--below .500, all bets are off for next year.

By the way, Sox just went up 4-3.  Rossi has been PM'ed.  Eat shit, Phil Hughes.

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
Something's wrong with Phil Hughes.

foolio



Joined: Mon Dec 10th, 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Florida USA
Posts: 719
Status: 
Offline
Crap. I was really hoping that the Bosox would break the Orioles 0-21 start for the season, and they had to ruin that by beating the Yanks today.

king-of-old-school



Joined: Sat Oct 20th, 2007
Location: Connecticut USA
Posts: 636
Status: 
Offline
1-6....Sweet!

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Yanks 7 Red Sox 4 at the moment

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52450
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote: Yanks 7 Red Sox 4 at the moment

And they win 9-4.  The Sox seem to have no pitching at all.  And it's not like the Yanks have much pitching but at least we have an ace and a bullpen.

Last edited on Sat Apr 9th, 2011 11:25 pm by srossi

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote:
clawmaster wrote: Yanks 7 Red Sox 4 at the moment

And they win 9-4.  The Sox seem to have no pitching at all.  And it's not like the Yanks have much pitching but at least we have an ace and a bullpen.


Not to go all stingmark on ya, but I told you so.

My biggest worry seems to be coming true--that the Buchholz of last year was the exception rather than the rule. Plus, Lackey sucks...he's just terrible.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52450
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: srossi wrote:
clawmaster wrote: Yanks 7 Red Sox 4 at the moment

And they win 9-4.  The Sox seem to have no pitching at all.  And it's not like the Yanks have much pitching but at least we have an ace and a bullpen.


Not to go all stingmark on ya, but I told you so.

My biggest worry seems to be coming true--that the Buchholz of last year was the exception rather than the rule. Plus, Lackey sucks...he's just terrible.

Buchholtz seems to be Hughes and Lackey is Burnett.  It's going to be a long year for both pitching staffs and the real battle will come in July when both teams try to go after the same starters before the trade deadline.  I'm close to just changing my pick to Baltimore right now.  :)

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote:
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: srossi wrote:
clawmaster wrote: Yanks 7 Red Sox 4 at the moment

And they win 9-4.  The Sox seem to have no pitching at all.  And it's not like the Yanks have much pitching but at least we have an ace and a bullpen.


Not to go all stingmark on ya, but I told you so.

My biggest worry seems to be coming true--that the Buchholz of last year was the exception rather than the rule. Plus, Lackey sucks...he's just terrible.

Buchholtz seems to be Hughes and Lackey is Burnett.  It's going to be a long year for both pitching staffs and the real battle will come in July when both teams try to go after the same starters before the trade deadline.  I'm close to just changing my pick to Baltimore right now.  :)


I wish Lackey was as good as Burnett. And yes, if you were in Vegas, the odds that somebody would say or write "I wish {fill in pitcher's name here} was as good as Burnett" would've come in at 1000 to 1.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6674
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote:
Angelic Assassin wrote: dogfacedgremlin34 wrote:
Might I just state for the record that I have it on good authority that John Lackey sucks big hairy man balls.

Top of the 1st, NYY 2, BOS 0


If you have it on such good authority, then we know who's big hairy man balls he sucking at least!

Guess we could say John's your Lackey! Or is it Lickey?

I'm already booking a flight to Toronto.  Am I going to have to make a side trip to whatever inbred logcutter's outhouse you call your apartment to smack you in the mush as well?


What? You haven't seen the pictures online? It's pretty. Not as pretty as the outhouse Lackey's living in right now but it's fine for me. Actually all kidding aside, I'm dissapointed in Lackey. Going into the season I was sure he was going to be a dependable starter for the BoSox. Season is still young. The again I was also thinking Dice-K might rebound.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 43108
Status: 
Offline
Charlie Sheen says not to fret

Yes, it's true: The self-appointed Rock Star from Mars offered his thoughts on the slow start by the Boston Red Sox last night, after the team wasted a strong start by Jon Lester and lost 3-2 to the Tampa Bay Rays.

As Big League Stew and Boston Dirt Dogs points out, his message to Red Sox fans was pretty blunt:"I'd tell everybody to shut up, that they'll bounce back," Sheen said. "It's a long season and there's a ton of talent there and a really bitchin' hitter's park they play in. Relax."

For the record, Sheen moved recently to trademark 22 catchphrases directly associated with his recent media meltdowns, including "Tiger Blood," "Duh, Winning," and "Vatican Assassin."

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52450
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: Charlie Sheen says not to fret

Yes, it's true: The self-appointed Rock Star from Mars offered his thoughts on the slow start by the Boston Red Sox last night, after the team wasted a strong start by Jon Lester and lost 3-2 to the Tampa Bay Rays.

As Big League Stew and Boston Dirt Dogs points out, his message to Red Sox fans was pretty blunt:"I'd tell everybody to shut up, that they'll bounce back," Sheen said. "It's a long season and there's a ton of talent there and a really bitchin' hitter's park they play in. Relax."

For the record, Sheen moved recently to trademark 22 catchphrases directly associated with his recent media meltdowns, including "Tiger Blood," "Duh, Winning," and "Vatican Assassin."


 

I'm not sure who's having a worse April, Sheen or the Sox.

Last edited on Thu Apr 14th, 2011 01:24 pm by srossi

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: beejmi wrote: Charlie Sheen says not to fret

Yes, it's true: The self-appointed Rock Star from Mars offered his thoughts on the slow start by the Boston Red Sox last night, after the team wasted a strong start by Jon Lester and lost 3-2 to the Tampa Bay Rays.

As Big League Stew and Boston Dirt Dogs points out, his message to Red Sox fans was pretty blunt:"I'd tell everybody to shut up, that they'll bounce back," Sheen said. "It's a long season and there's a ton of talent there and a really bitchin' hitter's park they play in. Relax."

For the record, Sheen moved recently to trademark 22 catchphrases directly associated with his recent media meltdowns, including "Tiger Blood," "Duh, Winning," and "Vatican Assassin."


 

I'm not sure who's having a worse April, Sheen or the Sox.


I've got no response.:(

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 44386
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote:


 

I'm not sure who's having a worse April, Sheen or the Sox.



 

At least Charlie gets an occasional standing ovation on his tour.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52450
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: srossi wrote: beejmi wrote: Charlie Sheen says not to fret

Yes, it's true: The self-appointed Rock Star from Mars offered his thoughts on the slow start by the Boston Red Sox last night, after the team wasted a strong start by Jon Lester and lost 3-2 to the Tampa Bay Rays.

As Big League Stew and Boston Dirt Dogs points out, his message to Red Sox fans was pretty blunt:"I'd tell everybody to shut up, that they'll bounce back," Sheen said. "It's a long season and there's a ton of talent there and a really bitchin' hitter's park they play in. Relax."

For the record, Sheen moved recently to trademark 22 catchphrases directly associated with his recent media meltdowns, including "Tiger Blood," "Duh, Winning," and "Vatican Assassin."


 

I'm not sure who's having a worse April, Sheen or the Sox.


I've got no response.:(

The real question is whether or not the Sox get to .500 before Sheen announces he's back with CBS.  I heard some rumors yesterday about a reconciliation.

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 43108
Status: 
Offline
I'm pretty sure neither side is "winning" in the Sheen/CBS fiasco and they'll come to terms.

Not sure when the Red Sox start "winning"

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 44386
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: srossi wrote: beejmi wrote: Charlie Sheen says not to fret

Yes, it's true: The self-appointed Rock Star from Mars offered his thoughts on the slow start by the Boston Red Sox last night, after the team wasted a strong start by Jon Lester and lost 3-2 to the Tampa Bay Rays.

As Big League Stew and Boston Dirt Dogs points out, his message to Red Sox fans was pretty blunt:"I'd tell everybody to shut up, that they'll bounce back," Sheen said. "It's a long season and there's a ton of talent there and a really bitchin' hitter's park they play in. Relax."

For the record, Sheen moved recently to trademark 22 catchphrases directly associated with his recent media meltdowns, including "Tiger Blood," "Duh, Winning," and "Vatican Assassin."


 

I'm not sure who's having a worse April, Sheen or the Sox.


I've got no response.:(

The real question is whether or not the Sox get to .500 before Sheen announces he's back with CBS.  I heard some rumors yesterday about a reconciliation.


 

With his dumb luck, Charlie will be back with CBS. Charlie is one of those people
who goes  thru life with a teflon coating.

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: The real question is whether or not the Sox get to .500 before Sheen announces he's back with CBS. 
I think the better question is which will reach .500 first--the Red Sox as a team or my BAC when I watch the Red Sox.  So far, this team is driving me to drink.

mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
the 1991 Minnesota Twins started 2-9.  They won the World Series

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 44386
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: the 1991 Minnesota Twins started 2-9.  They won the World Series


Excellent point. The season is just getting underway. Let's just enjoy
the next 6 months.

 

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52450
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: mike3775 wrote: the 1991 Minnesota Twins started 2-9.  They won the World Series


Excellent point. The season is just getting underway. Let's just enjoy
the next 6 months.

 

The team isn't even going to look the same after the trade deadline I bet.  I have fun goofing on them now, but in August no one will remember this.  They should win at least 90 games still.

mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Boston will easily be in first place before the All Star break.  I am enjoying Boston struggling right now, but it will soon be over and I can see them going on an Indians win streak easily before the middle of May(8+ wins in a row)

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 7100
Status: 
Offline
Lol...2-10, lose to the Jays at home 7-6 tonight.

yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3822
Status: 
Offline
Boston wins 8 of 9 and is one game short of .500 and nobody is talking about them here?  No love?

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 44386
Status: 
Offline
yellowdog wrote: Boston wins 8 of 9 and is one game short of .500 and nobody is talking about them here?  No love?


 

I think it's pretty much what we all expected. The Sox win the East with the Yanks second.

mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: yellowdog wrote: Boston wins 8 of 9 and is one game short of .500 and nobody is talking about them here?  No love?


 

I think it's pretty much what we all expected. The Sox win the East with the Yanks second.
Bingo

I even mentioned I could see them going on a winning streak by the end of May, and I was off a bit, but I expected this

Then again, I rarely pay attention to the Red Sox or Yankees because I tend to only watch MLB Network for baseball coverage and not ESPN which should rename itself the Red Sox/Yankees network since thats all they ever give coverage to

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: Then again, I rarely pay attention to the Red Sox or Yankees because I tend to only watch MLB Network for baseball coverage and not ESPN which should rename itself the Red Sox/Yankees network since thats all they ever give coverage to

I watched Reds/Cardinals last night on ESPN.

Just sayin'.

mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: mike3775 wrote: Then again, I rarely pay attention to the Red Sox or Yankees because I tend to only watch MLB Network for baseball coverage and not ESPN which should rename itself the Red Sox/Yankees network since thats all they ever give coverage to

I watched Reds/Cardinals last night on ESPN.

Just sayin'.
I was referring to the baseball coverage overall, shows like baseball tonight, sportscenter, etc

more time is devoted to Red Sox/Yankees then the other teams in MLB for the most part.

At least MLB Network covers the other teams as well

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 43108
Status: 
Offline
yellowdog wrote: Boston wins 8 of 9 and is one game short of .500 and nobody is talking about them here?  No love?

More fun to talk about failure and disappointment

mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: yellowdog wrote: Boston wins 8 of 9 and is one game short of .500 and nobody is talking about them here?  No love?

More fun to talk about failure and disappointment
talking about the Cubs gets old also

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 44386
Status: 
Offline
Just bumping this up. At 35-26, the Sox now have the best record in the AL
& lead the Yanks by 1 game & the Rays by 2 1/2 games.
That's pretty much as it should be.

CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
There might be some trouble on the horizon as Pedroia might miss up to a month with knee problems.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/06/09/pedroia_to_have_right_knee_examined/

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
CanadianHorseman wrote: There might be some trouble on the horizon as Pedroia might miss up to a month with knee problems.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/06/09/pedroia_to_have_right_knee_examined/

They are now saying Pedroia has a bruised knee and won't miss much if any time.

CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
Boston now leads the AL East by 2 games after going into New York and sweeping a 3 game series.

stone2k



Joined: Mon Nov 29th, 2010
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts USA
Posts: 8946
Status: 
Offline
CanadianHorseman wrote: Boston now leads the AL East by 2 games after going into New York and sweeping a 3 game series.
Big wins for the Sox, but I believe they and the Yankees are going to swap the lead back and forth all year.

 What has been surprising to me is how many tickets the scalpers still have after the game has started... The last few years it seemed like you couldn't get any tickets at all, now there seems to be a ticket for cheap whenever you want one.

mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
stone2k wrote: CanadianHorseman wrote: Boston now leads the AL East by 2 games after going into New York and sweeping a 3 game series.
Big wins for the Sox, but I believe they and the Yankees are going to swap the lead back and forth all year.

 What has been surprising to me is how many tickets the scalpers still have after the game has started... The last few years it seemed like you couldn't get any tickets at all, now there seems to be a ticket for cheap whenever you want one.
There's still tickets available for the Cubs/Yankees series which surprised me, but I really think the scalper...err ticket brokers, have finally hit a level on prices that fans are finally saying fuck you to

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52450
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: stone2k wrote: CanadianHorseman wrote: Boston now leads the AL East by 2 games after going into New York and sweeping a 3 game series.
Big wins for the Sox, but I believe they and the Yankees are going to swap the lead back and forth all year.

 What has been surprising to me is how many tickets the scalpers still have after the game has started... The last few years it seemed like you couldn't get any tickets at all, now there seems to be a ticket for cheap whenever you want one.
There's still tickets available for the Cubs/Yankees series which surprised me, but I really think the scalper...err ticket brokers, have finally hit a level on prices that fans are finally saying fuck you to

I had to pay a fortune on StubHub for mine but I couldn't risk flying into Chicago without a ticket in hand.  If it was a 20-minute subway ride that would be different.  So I needed to get my ticket ahead of time and the scalpers raped me by buying them all up in seconds and then inflating the price instantly.  And StubHub somehow is not only legal but fully endorsed by MLB.

Famous Mortimer



Joined: Thu Nov 6th, 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2771
Status: 
Offline
Sadly, the only way this gets changed is if fans just stop buying tickets at crazy inflated prices. While MLB are making fat $$$ off this, they won't give a damn who buys the tickets or what happens to them once the money is in their hands.

 

But, talking of surprising starts to the season, losing Adam Wainwright had everyone expecting the Cardinals were going to get destroyed this season. And with Carpenter, the team's other ace, going 2-6, even I was like "ah well, maybe next season". But they're 38-26, and are looking dominant.

mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Famous Mortimer wrote: Sadly, the only way this gets changed is if fans just stop buying tickets at crazy inflated prices. While MLB are making fat $$$ off this, they won't give a damn who buys the tickets or what happens to them once the money is in their hands.

 

But, talking of surprising starts to the season, losing Adam Wainwright had everyone expecting the Cardinals were going to get destroyed this season. And with Carpenter, the team's other ace, going 2-6, even I was like "ah well, maybe next season". But they're 38-26, and are looking dominant.
But they won't.  Thats what is sad about the entire thing.  MLB actually gets paid twice for those tickets.  First when they go on sale originally, which the brokers snatch up, then they get a chunk from the brokers on the resale.  MLB has zero reason to put a stop to sites like stubhub when they get a chunk of it again. 

Another thing teams are doing(the Cubs are one that I know of) are they sell unsold tickets to a "authorized broker" who then sells the tickets, and give the team a chunk of the money as well.  Again, zero reasons to change things as they get to double dip on ticket sales

srossi, I dont blame you for making sure you had a ticket in hand prior to going, my friend did the same for the tickets, and he is pissed that he paid more than he had to had he waited, but usually if you wait, the tickets are gone, but this time, there are tickets left, but its because they reached the thresh hold on prices

St. Louis is doing pretty good considering.  Cincinnatti has reverted back to what they should be though(a team on the rise).  speaking of surprises, when was the last time 4 of the 5 AL East teams were above .500 this late in the season?

Last edited on Fri Jun 10th, 2011 02:31 pm by mike3775

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
Famous Mortimer wrote: But, talking of surprising starts to the season, losing Adam Wainwright had everyone expecting the Cardinals were going to get destroyed this season. And with Carpenter, the team's other ace, going 2-6, even I was like "ah well, maybe next season". But they're 38-26, and are looking dominant.

St. Louis is one of my surprise team of the season so far, IMO behind maybe only the Pirates, the Dbacks and the Indians (who appear to be returning to earth).  Prior to losing Wainwright, I thought they'd be in contention for the division, but once I found he'd be lost for the season, I dropped them to 4th in what I perceived to be a tight NL Central race, behind MIL, CIN and CHI. 

Once again, they're looking like the cream of that division.

Last edited on Fri Jun 10th, 2011 02:38 pm by dogfacedgremlin34

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Milwaukee has been playing better recently thanks to Big, Fat Prince Fielder. The question for Milwaukee remains will they try to win the division with Prince or will they trade him because they are probably going to lose him as a free agent after the season is finished.

Cincinnati has pitching woes. Big surprise huh. The health of Johnny Cueto might be the key to their season.

While I'm surprised the Cards have played extremely well, I still see it as a three team race. Cards. Brew Crew. Cincy.

mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote: Milwaukee has been playing better recently thanks to Big, Fat Prince Fielder. The question for Milwaukee remains will they try to win the division with Prince or will they trade him because they are probably going to lose him as a free agent after the season is finished.

Cincinnati has pitching woes. Big surprise huh. The health of Johnny Cueto might be the key to their season.

While I'm surprised the Cards have played extremely well, I still see it as a three team race. Cards. Brew Crew. Cincy.
I see the Brewers trading him.  I don't see him staying around.

I actually think if St. Louis had not been a surprise like they have been, Pujols would have been trade bait as well, especially with him playing poorly early, but now that he and the team are doing better, I don't see them trading him now

Famous Mortimer



Joined: Thu Nov 6th, 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2771
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote:
I actually think if St. Louis had not been a surprise like they have been, Pujols would have been trade bait as well, especially with him playing poorly early, but now that he and the team are doing better, I don't see them trading him now
I did suggest this to Mrs. Mortimer, the Missouri resident, and she was really annoyed at me, like even thinking it would make it more likely to happen. He seems much more involved in the team now, as well, judging from his performances against Chicago and Houston, so maybe we might even keep him after this season.

mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Famous Mortimer wrote: mike3775 wrote:
I actually think if St. Louis had not been a surprise like they have been, Pujols would have been trade bait as well, especially with him playing poorly early, but now that he and the team are doing better, I don't see them trading him now
I did suggest this to Mrs. Mortimer, the Missouri resident, and she was really annoyed at me, like even thinking it would make it more likely to happen. He seems much more involved in the team now, as well, judging from his performances against Chicago and Houston, so maybe we might even keep him after this season.
They will keep him, if he doesn't demand an arm and a leg from the team.  They already refused to pay him $300 million for 10 yrs, but I see them offering 10 yrs $250 million($25 million a year), but there is no way he will get A-Rod money in St. Louis

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 44386
Status: 
Offline
CanadianHorseman wrote: There might be some trouble on the horizon as Pedroia might miss up to a month with knee problems.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/06/09/pedroia_to_have_right_knee_examined/


 

Pedroia went 3-5 Friday night against the Jays & 3-4 yesterday. The Jays need
someone to take out his other knee.
Where's Shane Stant when you need him ?



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems