WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Pujols to LA!!  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 09:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Chrisstlouis

 

Joined: Thu Jun 11th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2397
Status: 
Offline
Famous Mortimer wrote: Congrats to the Angels on getting the best player in the game, and no regrets from this Cardinals fan. I think all we need is Berkman or Holliday to step up and we've got a great team.
Still waitn for that punkass Holiday to do something

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
stingmark



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9390
Status: 
Offline
Chrisstlouis wrote:
Famous Mortimer wrote: Congrats to the Angels on getting the best player in the game, and no regrets from this Cardinals fan. I think all we need is Berkman or Holliday to step up and we've got a great team.
Still waitn for that punkass Holiday to do something


You mean the guy that got almost Pujols money, w/half the production?



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
stingmark



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9390
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote:
Fielder is younger than Pujols, so in 4-5 yrs, he will be Pujols, and this is it for him.

Fielder will get that, because he had a monster walk year.  But he will deliver for whatever team he ends up with

As far as contracts being not traded, thats what they said about A-Rods 10yr $252 million from the Rangers, yet he was traded, and even Vernon Wells contract


I bet Nolan Ryan sends the Yanks christmas cards, thanking them for taking ARods contract off their hands? Infact, I wouldnt be surprised if that was part of the deal? Trust me, ARod retires a Yankee. No one wants to touch his deal. Fielder will get a Carl Crawford like deal I bet? Hows that workin out for Boston?



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Dec 9th, 2011 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
stingmark wrote: mike3775 wrote:
Fielder is younger than Pujols, so in 4-5 yrs, he will be Pujols, and this is it for him.

Fielder will get that, because he had a monster walk year.  But he will deliver for whatever team he ends up with

As far as contracts being not traded, thats what they said about A-Rods 10yr $252 million from the Rangers, yet he was traded, and even Vernon Wells contract


I bet Nolan Ryan sends the Yanks christmas cards, thanking them for taking ARods contract off their hands? Infact, I wouldnt be surprised if that was part of the deal? Trust me, ARod retires a Yankee. No one wants to touch his deal. Fielder will get a Carl Crawford like deal I bet? Hows that workin out for Boston?
Crawford was only in the first year of that deal,  Will you still use him as an example next year if he hits his normal numbers next year?  No you won't.

If a team is desperate enough, they will take A-Rod if the yankees pay part of the salary, remember, Texas still paid past of his salary after he was traded to NY also.  They were off the hook when he opted out early, and now its all on NY.  If A-Rod never opted out when he did, Texas would have been paying him part of his salary until last year I believe, in which case, they would never have gone anywhere the past 2 years. 

Last edited on Fri Dec 9th, 2011 11:59 pm by mike3775

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Dec 10th, 2011 03:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
stingmark



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9390
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: stingmark wrote: mike3775 wrote:
Fielder is younger than Pujols, so in 4-5 yrs, he will be Pujols, and this is it for him.

Fielder will get that, because he had a monster walk year.  But he will deliver for whatever team he ends up with

As far as contracts being not traded, thats what they said about A-Rods 10yr $252 million from the Rangers, yet he was traded, and even Vernon Wells contract


I bet Nolan Ryan sends the Yanks christmas cards, thanking them for taking ARods contract off their hands? Infact, I wouldnt be surprised if that was part of the deal? Trust me, ARod retires a Yankee. No one wants to touch his deal. Fielder will get a Carl Crawford like deal I bet? Hows that workin out for Boston?
Crawford was only in the first year of that deal,  Will you still use him as an example next year if he hits his normal numbers next year?  No you won't.

If a team is desperate enough, they will take A-Rod if the yankees pay part of the salary, remember, Texas still paid past of his salary after he was traded to NY also.  They were off the hook when he opted out early, and now its all on NY.  If A-Rod never opted out when he did, Texas would have been paying him part of his salary until last year I believe, in which case, they would never have gone anywhere the past 2 years. 


Yes, i will...he's overpaid, and got too long of a deal. Andruw Jones got some huge deal once, and it ended up hurting the Braves for many years. Most big contracts do, thats why I dont "get" why so many teams are so quick to award them to guys. Vlad Guerrero got some huge deal too, and didnt live up to it IMO. If you remember, they(Boston) signed Lackey too, to some stupid deal, and that didnt do too well did it? Many Bosox fans hated that guy, and the deal, I guess they're in for a big shock in about 2-3 yrs, when Crawfords production doesnt merit his high salary? Wanna see how fast they cant wait to move him in about 3-4 yrs, and wont find any takers, unless they kick in ALOT of the cash from said big contract?

I seriously doubt there's a team "desperate enough" to take Arod from NY, they're stuck with him, if there were such a team, theyd have already tried going after him, before he went to NY. He's basically worthless now. if I were a gm, I wouldnt sign him tomorrow, at his age & $$$, if he walked into my clubhouse, begging to play. The Vernon Wells deal, should've smartened up the Angels, but unfortunately, it didnt, and thus, they will learn, down the road(in about 4-5 yrs im guessing), when he's no longer a domimant hitter, and can barely move, and they end up making him a full time DH, just so he can continue getting his at bats. All the while, not being able to trade him, because "desperate team' or not, no one in their right mind, would trade much more than a bag of balls for him then, and that would probably be giving up too much. By all means, marvel at his "huge deal", but know that about 85% of the teams in the league couldnt(or wouldnt) pay him what he wanted, he went where the money was, cant fault him for that.  The owners paying these exhorbant deals are more to blame. But, then, dont cry when your team is hamstrung, and you cant make the playoffs, or payroll, & call foul, and poor, and the balance is out of whack, all the while enjoying his bloated contract, that now you cant move, and he hasnt won you a thing.

Last edited on Sat Dec 10th, 2011 03:12 am by stingmark



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Dec 10th, 2011 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9863
Status: 
Offline
I bet Prince will get a contract similar to Pujols. Less but comparable money similar number of years.


The Angels will be saddled with this contract, but sometimes guys get unhappy and ask out of contracts, some times (Arod Texas) you can deal the guy and pay a hunk of the contract. The Halos aren't completely locked into this deal.

I'm glad to see him with the Angels. Their order should be tough.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Dec 10th, 2011 11:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
martini
Sunny's White Knight


Joined: Fri Aug 13th, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3898
Status: 
Offline
The Ultimate Sin wrote: I bet Prince will get a contract similar to Pujols. Less but comparable money similar number of years.


The Angels will be saddled with this contract, but sometimes guys get unhappy and ask out of contracts, some times (Arod Texas) you can deal the guy and pay a hunk of the contract. The Halos aren't completely locked into this deal.

I'm glad to see him with the Angels. Their order should be tough.

I'm gonna say the Rangers and Cubs are the faves to land Fielder at this time. Mariners are probably third in the mix.

The Cubs only jumped into the Pujols thing - in my opinion - to see if they could drive up the price per year and pay the Cards back for interviewing Chicago legend Ryne Sandberg for their managerial job.



____________________
Shaken, but not stirred.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Dec 11th, 2011 08:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Famous Mortimer



Joined: Thu Nov 6th, 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2771
Status: 
Offline
martini wrote: I'm gonna say the Rangers and Cubs are the faves to land Fielder at this time. Mariners are probably third in the mix.

The Cubs only jumped into the Pujols thing - in my opinion - to see if they could drive up the price per year and pay the Cards back for interviewing Chicago legend Ryne Sandberg for their managerial job.

Agree.  I think, after what they've said, the Cardinals can't get into a bidding war for Fielder, as they're just replacing Albert with a slightly younger, slightly slower model. If they can get him for reasonable money though...

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Dec 11th, 2011 12:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
martini wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: I bet Prince will get a contract similar to Pujols. Less but comparable money similar number of years.


The Angels will be saddled with this contract, but sometimes guys get unhappy and ask out of contracts, some times (Arod Texas) you can deal the guy and pay a hunk of the contract. The Halos aren't completely locked into this deal.

I'm glad to see him with the Angels. Their order should be tough.

I'm gonna say the Rangers and Cubs are the faves to land Fielder at this time. Mariners are probably third in the mix.

The Cubs only jumped into the Pujols thing - in my opinion - to see if they could drive up the price per year and pay the Cards back for interviewing Chicago legend Ryne Sandberg for their managerial job.

Well the Cubs should have offered Sandberg a job in some capacity if they didn't want him interviewing with division rivals.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Dec 11th, 2011 12:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Incidentally Stingmark, all the MLB players are overpaid.  I remember when Sandberg was signed to a record deal that made him the highest paid player with $7 million per year.  eE was the highest paid player for all of a year when someone signed for $8 million/yr

Hell I could live on what they pay as a minimum in MLB

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Dec 11th, 2011 04:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
stingmark



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9390
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote:
Incidentally Stingmark, all the MLB players are overpaid.  I remember when Sandberg was signed to a record deal that made him the highest paid player with $7 million per year.  eE was the highest paid player for all of a year when someone signed for $8 million/yr

Hell I could live on what they pay as a minimum in MLB


No arguement there. But, blame the owners Alot of you guys put these deals on the owners, I agree they're all overpaid. But, theyre just taking the deals/$$$ the owners are giving them.



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Dec 11th, 2011 04:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
If the owners all decided to say "we refuse to pay more than $10 million/yr to anyone" the union would file collusion charges and would probably win.

Everyone says that the owners themselves caused this, but it is not true, because the owners once did try to reign in spending, and they lost when the union filed a collusion case

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Dec 11th, 2011 05:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
stingmark



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Cop City, California USA
Posts: 9390
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote:
If the owners all decided to say "we refuse to pay more than $10 million/yr to anyone" the union would file collusion charges and would probably win.

Everyone says that the owners themselves caused this, but it is not true, because the owners once did try to reign in spending, and they lost when the union filed a collusion case


Many here cite blame on the owners for the huge contracts Mike, both parties are guilty imo. I think theyre all overpaid, but the minute someone says that, people here get all bent outta shape and say " its the owners fault....blah blah blah. Dont blame the players". Youve just proven why its not the owners fault.

Last edited on Sun Dec 11th, 2011 05:44 pm by stingmark



____________________
"I went to the #6th ranked liberal Arts College in California, I'm smarter than anyone else"(Also found out to be a formerly racist institution-Jeff Forsyth)




Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Dec 11th, 2011 06:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9863
Status: 
Offline
stingmark wrote:
mike3775 wrote:
If the owners all decided to say "we refuse to pay more than $10 million/yr to anyone" the union would file collusion charges and would probably win.

Everyone says that the owners themselves caused this, but it is not true, because the owners once did try to reign in spending, and they lost when the union filed a collusion case


Many here cite blame on the owners for the huge contracts Mike, both parties are guilty imo. I think theyre all overpaid, but the minute someone says that, people here get all bent outta shape and say " its the owners fault....blah blah blah. Dont blame the players". Youve just proven why its not the owners fault.


The difference is they conspired not to pay guys their market value and got caught. That's not the players fault. Again that's the owners fault. They were too stupid to be fiscally responsible, so they conspired, and made it very obvious, and got caught.

If teams quit bidding against each for middle of the road guys the salaries would come down across the board. The stars are always going to get the big money, but when guys throw 10 Mil at a middle reliever it fucks up the whole salary schedule.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Dec 11th, 2011 08:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
Famous Mortimer



Joined: Thu Nov 6th, 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2771
Status: 
Offline
Everyone is making a shedload of money out of the game, so as the players are the ones generating it, they should be rewarded appropriately. If there was less money in the game, then the players should be paid less. Seems simple.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 10:07 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Pujols to LA!! Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems