WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Tim Thomas no-shows Presidential visit with Boston Bruins

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Tim Thomas no-shows Presidential visit with Boston Bruins  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 08:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
the squared circle
Mr Hockey


Joined: Thu Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7736
Status: 
Online

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385861

The 2011 Stanley Cup champion Boston Bruins made their long-awaited visit to the White House on Monday, but it was without the one player whose postseason heroics got them there in the first place.

Conn Smythe Trophy winning-goaltender Tim Thomas did not attend the visit hosted by U.S. President Barack Obama and the team explained that he would post a statement regarding his actions on his Facebook page on Monday night.

"Everybody has their own opinions and political beliefs. He chose not to join us," Bruins president Cam Neely told Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com at the visit. "We certainly would have liked to have him come and join us. But it's his choice. It's obviously not a choice most of the guys...well all of the guys came except for Tim. But it's his decision and his choice." 

President Obama honoured the Bruins for their championship won last spring and their charitable work off the ice.

The Bruins won their first Stanley Cup title in 39 years last June when they beat the Vancouver Canucks in seven games.

It was the latest in a string of Boston professional sports championships in recent years, including the Celtics in 2008, the Red Sox in 2007 and the New England Patriots in 2005.

The Patriots face the New York Giants in next month's Super Bowl.

Obama says, "the Bruins, the Sox, the Celtics, now the Patriots. Enough already, Boston."

The White House said the Boston Bruins Foundation has donated more than US$7 million to charities in New England.

- with files from the Associated Press

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
Yeah - the sh*t is gonna hit the fan big time over this. Not only was Thomas the Conn Smythe Trophy winner but he was the only American on last year's team.

Last edited on Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 09:04 pm by CanadianHorseman



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 09:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Commie bastard!



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 10:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3810
Status: 
Offline
asshole



____________________
"It's a Dog Eat Dog World"
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 11:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
who gives a flying fuck if someone doesn't want to meet the President.  I sure as hell wouldn't go if he invited me to the White House, and it has nothing to do with the party either, its just I think its fucking stupid.  All they do is grab ass for the camera's for a few minutes, the President makes a speech, the team gives a jersey with the Presidents name, grab ass some more, then the secret service agents lead you to the exit.  No big deal

This reminds me of the woman who caused a stir for wearing flip flops when some womans team met Bush.  Big fucking deal if she wore flip flops, there is no official dress code for meeting the President either.  If I wanted to wear a depends diaper and have a big baby bottle, no one could stop me.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 11:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
tofu_chipmunk



Joined: Wed Aug 5th, 2009
Location: Suburban Fatlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 6706
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: If I wanted to wear a depends diaper and have a big baby bottle, no one could stop me.

Baby Cyndi would probably join you.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 11:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
tofu_chipmunk wrote: mike3775 wrote: If I wanted to wear a depends diaper and have a big baby bottle, no one could stop me.

Baby Cyndi would probably join you.
I think she make a better wife for Obama myself

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 11:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3810
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: who gives a flying fuck if someone doesn't want to meet the President.  I sure as hell wouldn't go if he invited me to the White House, and it has nothing to do with the party either, its just I think its fucking stupid.  All they do is grab ass for the camera's for a few minutes, the President makes a speech, the team gives a jersey with the Presidents name, grab ass some more, then the secret service agents lead you to the exit.  No big deal

This reminds me of the woman who caused a stir for wearing flip flops when some womans team met Bush.  Big fucking deal if she wore flip flops, there is no official dress code for meeting the President either.  If I wanted to wear a depends diaper and have a big baby bottle, no one could stop me.

call me old fashion but I think there still is a certain amount of respect the President, regardless of political affiliation, deserves.  As Americans we ought to at least have respect for what the Office means.  so fuck him.



____________________
"It's a Dog Eat Dog World"
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 11:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
yellowdog wrote: mike3775 wrote: who gives a flying fuck if someone doesn't want to meet the President.  I sure as hell wouldn't go if he invited me to the White House, and it has nothing to do with the party either, its just I think its fucking stupid.  All they do is grab ass for the camera's for a few minutes, the President makes a speech, the team gives a jersey with the Presidents name, grab ass some more, then the secret service agents lead you to the exit.  No big deal

This reminds me of the woman who caused a stir for wearing flip flops when some womans team met Bush.  Big fucking deal if she wore flip flops, there is no official dress code for meeting the President either.  If I wanted to wear a depends diaper and have a big baby bottle, no one could stop me.

call me old fashion but I think there still is a certain amount of respect the President, regardless of political affiliation, deserves.  As Americans we ought to at least have respect for what the Office means.  so fuck him.
And in the United States, we also have the right to refuse to go to an event thrown by the President of the United States as well.

He isn't the first athlete to not go to an invitation and he sure as hell won't be the last. 

Just because the guy is the President, does not mean that people have to drop everything to go pay a visit to him either.

And that office has lost so much respect over the years, they are still about the level Nixon left it in when he resigned. 

Last edited on Mon Jan 23rd, 2012 11:46 pm by mike3775

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 12:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10016
Status: 
Offline
yellowdog wrote:
mike3775 wrote: who gives a flying fuck if someone doesn't want to meet the President.  I sure as hell wouldn't go if he invited me to the White House, and it has nothing to do with the party either, its just I think its fucking stupid.  All they do is grab ass for the camera's for a few minutes, the President makes a speech, the team gives a jersey with the Presidents name, grab ass some more, then the secret service agents lead you to the exit.  No big deal

This reminds me of the woman who caused a stir for wearing flip flops when some womans team met Bush.  Big fucking deal if she wore flip flops, there is no official dress code for meeting the President either.  If I wanted to wear a depends diaper and have a big baby bottle, no one could stop me.

call me old fashion but I think there still is a certain amount of respect the President, regardless of political affiliation, deserves.  As Americans we ought to at least have respect for what the Office means.  so fuck him.

My feelings exactly. This is in line with that Joe Whatsisname Rep from whatever state he was from who yelled "Liar!" during Obama's speech a little while back. It's just another piece of evidence of lack of respect.



____________________
"I'm putting your worthless fucking ass on ignore so I don't have to read anymore of your pompous arrogant New York big shot bullshit. Good fucking riddance, fuckhead."-Angelic Assassin to rossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 03:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
CanadianHorseman



Joined: Fri Nov 2nd, 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
Posts: 14026
Status: 
Offline
Now it's getting stupid and it's just going to get worse. What do you think TSN's Dave Hodge was trying to imply with this tweet:





TSNDaveHodge Dave Hodge - TSN
Don't know if it's fair to point this out, but Tim Thomas has three children named Kiley, Kelsey and Keegan.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 03:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49263
Status: 
Offline
Somehow I doubt the people who object to this felt the same way over the handful of athletes who refused to meet with Bush over the years.  They were right then, and Thomas is right now.  This is a non-story.  He doesn't have to go anywhere he doesn't want to go and he doesn't even have to respect anyone he doesn't want to respect.  I seem to recall this country being founded on a shocking lack of respect for certain members of royalty.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 04:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
sek69



Joined: Fri Dec 21st, 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 5509
Status: 
Offline
Your team was invited to meet the President. Yes, he has the right not to go, but what does it hurt to suck it up for the brief time you're there with your teammates? Refusing to go and giving some "GUBMINT IN PEOPLUZ BUIZNEZZ TOO MUCH" just makes you look like a knuckle dragging idiot trying to passive-aggressively make some political statement while claiming you aren't.

Guys on ESPN radio had it correct (which is something that doesn't happen often): everyone these days knows their rights, few know their responsibilities.  I think it's kind of silly the President has to meet with seemingly every pro and college team that wins a championship, but it's a tradition, and you'd think someone who plays a sport under intense scrutiny for head injury but still considers fighting a sacred part of their culture would understand that.



____________________
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 10:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10016
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote:
Somehow I doubt the people who object to this felt the same way over the handful of athletes who refused to meet with Bush over the years.  They were right then, and Thomas is right now.  This is a non-story.  He doesn't have to go anywhere he doesn't want to go and he doesn't even have to respect anyone he doesn't want to respect.  I seem to recall this country being founded on a shocking lack of respect for certain members of royalty.
I don't think I remember any athletes blatantly no-showing over the years, much less any no-showing Bush or because of political reasons. Do you really remember any specifically? The only one I can remember not turning up was Manny, but that was because he was a dope and probably overslept. But it certainly wasn't driven by politics.



____________________
"I'm putting your worthless fucking ass on ignore so I don't have to read anymore of your pompous arrogant New York big shot bullshit. Good fucking riddance, fuckhead."-Angelic Assassin to rossi
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Jan 24th, 2012 12:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
So there is a responsibility to attend if invited, even though someone doesn't want to go if they are an athlete?  Maybe the teams better start putting it in the athletes contracts that they must attend these functions then, oh wait, then the uproar would be that they are forcing people to attend, which I say they can't have it both ways.


Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 08:04 pm Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Tim Thomas no-shows Presidential visit with Boston Bruins Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems