WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Wrestling Photographers

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Wrestling Photographers  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2012 11:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4617
Status: 
Offline
 

 

Kind of the unsung hero of many a promotion or publication; some of the greatest photographic images have transcended time periods, yet in a lot of cases, knowing which photographer snapped the photo gets forgotten.  A few I came up with:

 

 

Bill Apter- Maybe a lot of the action in the New York market doesn't hold up to video scrutiny today, but the stills Apter gave us in the Weston magazines may have been too crisp and vivid to make us reading about the WWWF into the 80s wonder what great matches we missed.

 

Koichi Yoshizawa-  The well placed  'KOICHI' on a background turnbuckle made the images in The Wrestling News Kietzer mags help us recognize the Japanese superstars during their eventual trek to the U.S. 

 

Eddie Cheslock- A Weston regular photographer, his images of Mid-Atlantic Wrestling allowed for many a great story to be written around them in the 70s and 80s. 

 

Lil' Al (Vavasseur?)  Another legendary name in the photogs division.  I recall many of his promotional photos shot against dark curtained backdrops.  His name stamp was about as prominent as Koichi's.

 

 

 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jan 26th, 2012 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12119
Status: 
Offline
My absolute favorite since I've been a kid and was old enough to appreciate the photographers (probably around 7/8 years old) is/was George Napolitano.

The only mail subscriptions to wrestling magazines I ever got was to the magazines he did. 'Ringside Wrestling' was one of my favorites. As was 'Wrestling Scene.' Just amazing pictures in them IMO. I always saw the difference between the "Napolitano Mags" and the "Apter Mags" as being that the "Apter Mags" I felt was always print driven and the "Napolitano Mags" were picture driven, if you know what I'm getting at?

Plus George always had plenty of bloody pictures of Abby, Brody, The Sheepherders, etc in living color if you weel, which I loved as a kid.

I also had (and still have somewhere) that book Napolitano published in the early 80's. I forget the name, something like "The Pictorial History Of Wrestling"?

A little off topic, but I always found too that Naplolitano's mags always covered the smaller territories, or territories that weren't necessarily small, but just were not covered in The Apter mags as much. Places like WWC (Puerto Rico), Japan, Alabama, San Antonio, Florida, etc.

So George Napolitano will always be the number one photographer to me with Apter a little ways off at number two, and the others a distant third away. He'd be one guy in the "business" that I'd love to have a picture taken with. Actually there are a few guys I'd love to get pictures with, but George is up there.

Anyone know if he's a regular on the convention circuit?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2012 01:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
HarryG
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sat Jun 28th, 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Posts: 2019
Status: 
Offline
Gene Gordon did many classic shots from Mid Atlantic's heyday.

Let's not forget Paul Heyman and Jim Cornette's work in Memphis.

Last edited on Fri Jan 27th, 2012 01:33 am by HarryG



____________________
Trying to find my way back....
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2012 02:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
the squared circle



Joined: Thu Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7993
Status: 
Offline
I had the program to my first ever card in 1982, and the back cover was a picture of Playboy Buddy Rose with a hot chick on each side. It said photo by Jim (or maybe James) Cornette.

I assume this is the same tennis racket swinging madman?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2012 03:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
carpetbeggar
The Ayatollah Of Rock And Rolla


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Dangling From A Rope Of...CONFETTI!!!
Posts: 12119
Status: 
Offline
Is there anywhere on the web where Heyman's and Cornette's work is shown?

To tell you the truth, other than knowing that they did photography work during the early part of their careers in the biz, I haven't seen anything they've done. Or at least anything that is credited to them.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2012 11:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
tofu_chipmunk



Joined: Wed Aug 5th, 2009
Location: Suburban Fatlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 6706
Status: 
Offline
carpetbeggar wrote: Is there anywhere on the web where Heyman's and Cornette's work is shown?

To tell you the truth, other than knowing that they did photography work during the early part of their careers in the biz, I haven't seen anything they've done. Or at least anything that is credited to them.


Not credited to him obviously, but I've always found this picture of Heyman amusing:


Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2012 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
BruiserBrodyMania



Joined: Tue Jul 27th, 2010
Location:  Monsters Of The Midway
Posts: 871
Status: 
Offline
carpetbeggar wrote:
My absolute favorite since I've been a kid and was old enough to appreciate the photographers (probably around 7/8 years old) is/was George Napolitano.

The only mail subscriptions to wrestling magazines I ever got was to the magazines he did. 'Ringside Wrestling' was one of my favorites. As was 'Wrestling Scene.' Just amazing pictures in them IMO. I always saw the difference between the "Napolitano Mags" and the "Apter Mags" as being that the "Apter Mags" I felt was always print driven and the "Napolitano Mags" were picture driven, if you know what I'm getting at?

Plus George always had plenty of bloody pictures of Abby, Brody, The Sheepherders, etc in living color if you weel, which I loved as a kid.

I also had (and still have somewhere) that book Napolitano published in the early 80's. I forget the name, something like "The Pictorial History Of Wrestling"?

A little off topic, but I always found too that Naplolitano's mags always covered the smaller territories, or territories that weren't necessarily small, but just were not covered in The Apter mags as much. Places like WWC (Puerto Rico), Japan, Alabama, San Antonio, Florida, etc.

So George Napolitano will always be the number one photographer to me with Apter a little ways off at number two, and the others a distant third away. He'd be one guy in the "business" that I'd love to have a picture taken with. Actually there are a few guys I'd love to get pictures with, but George is up there.

Anyone know if he's a regular on the convention circuit?


Napolitano would be my top choice as well. When I watch old matches I like to spot Napolitano and Apter at ringside fighting for the best spot.

The only Napolitano mag that wasn't photo driven as much was Wrestlin'g Main Event. Then when he left in early 86 and went to Starlog press (Ringside,Scene, All Stars, etc,) those mags got better quality photos IMO.

Bill Otten was another pretty good photgrapher. Who worked for various companies.

Bob Murphy had some nice photos. He even sells them on Ebay. His username is prowrestlingwarehouse IIRC.



____________________
http://www.RoadWarriorsTribute.webs.com
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2012 08:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 10235
Status: 
Offline
carpetbeggar wrote:
My absolute favorite since I've been a kid and was old enough to appreciate the photographers (probably around 7/8 years old) is/was George Napolitano.

The only mail subscriptions to wrestling magazines I ever got was to the magazines he did. 'Ringside Wrestling' was one of my favorites. As was 'Wrestling Scene.' Just amazing pictures in them IMO. I always saw the difference between the "Napolitano Mags" and the "Apter Mags" as being that the "Apter Mags" I felt was always print driven and the "Napolitano Mags" were picture driven, if you know what I'm getting at?

Plus George always had plenty of bloody pictures of Abby, Brody, The Sheepherders, etc in living color if you weel, which I loved as a kid.

I also had (and still have somewhere) that book Napolitano published in the early 80's. I forget the name, something like "The Pictorial History Of Wrestling"?

A little off topic, but I always found too that Naplolitano's mags always covered the smaller territories, or territories that weren't necessarily small, but just were not covered in The Apter mags as much. Places like WWC (Puerto Rico), Japan, Alabama, San Antonio, Florida, etc.

So George Napolitano will always be the number one photographer to me with Apter a little ways off at number two, and the others a distant third away. He'd be one guy in the "business" that I'd love to have a picture taken with. Actually there are a few guys I'd love to get pictures with, but George is up there.

Anyone know if he's a regular on the convention circuit?


+1

I have The Pictorial History of Wrestling too. I also have Wrestling's Greatest Grudge Matches, which is good too.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2012 09:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Chrisstlouis

 

Joined: Thu Jun 11th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2397
Status: 
Offline
tofu_chipmunk wrote: carpetbeggar wrote: Is there anywhere on the web where Heyman's and Cornette's work is shown?

To tell you the truth, other than knowing that they did photography work during the early part of their careers in the biz, I haven't seen anything they've done. Or at least anything that is credited to them.


Not credited to him obviously, but I've always found this picture of Heyman amusing:




The men that made Paul E so dangerous. i think was the headline

 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 27th, 2012 10:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15720
Status: 
Offline
as a kid I bought many photo from the photographers listed in the back on magazines.
Frank Amato
Scott Romer
Gene Gordon
Ruth Oman
Don Freedman

and let not forget everyones favorite here Mike Lano



____________________
Most people don't care if you're telling them the truth or if you're telling them a lie, as long as they're entertained by it. - Tom Waits

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jan 28th, 2012 12:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Chitown Rich

 

Joined: Mon Aug 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 820
Status: 
Offline

Scott Romer

David McLane of GLOW

and Jim Cornette were all taking pictures at the same time in Indianapolis in the mid 70's. Cornette only did it for a few months in Indy before staying in his home territory.

When we used to take the trip to Indy in then we'd see McLane & Romer and buy pictures off of them. Great stuff.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jan 28th, 2012 06:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
TerryWWWF



Joined: Mon Nov 26th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4322
Status: 
Offline
Frank Amato was part of that NY group that included Mike Medugno, Georgiann and others. He shot rolls of vintage '60s and '70s WWWF. I wonder if he held on to the negatives?

Gene Gordon was tremendous in the Carolinas.

Dave Burzynski in Detroit still has a lot of stuff chronicling The Sheik's promotion. He posts old stuff on KM on the thread "Dave Drason's Photo of the Day." He did the programs for the promotion, so he had great access.

There was a guy named Jim Marr who used to shoot the MSG shows for Lou Sahadi's Wrestling World magazine. He got some great shots.

Viktor Berry shot great photos of the Shire promotion in San Francisco.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jan 28th, 2012 08:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4617
Status: 
Offline
 

Anyone know if the guy with the username 'silverhairedvampire' on KM is one of the better known photogs?  The only posts I've ever seen that he makes are shills for his negatives being sold on eBay.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Jan 28th, 2012 12:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
Who took the pictures back in the 50's and, in particular, the late 60's for publications like they used to advertise old back copies in "PWI" and "Inside Wrestling"?

I had one issue I ordered from 1965 that had the Graham Brothers on the cover (and a story of them eating clam sauce in some Italian joint in Manhattan) and some of the coolest pictures from what I remember.

I'd like to get another copy of that magazine.



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jan 28th, 2012 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
Checking for the lost issue, I ran across Freddie Blassie trying to pick up Amy Winehouse's doppelganger in 1965:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jan-1965-Wrestling-Confidential-Magazine-Fred-Blassie-/120644051221



____________________
"That's what a pre-med degree will get you kids, nearly correct spelling and pissing in a bowl on Skype"-SRossi on Sunny
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 12:24 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Wrestling Photographers Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems