WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > 2012 Pittsburgh Pirates appreciation Thread

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
2012 Pittsburgh Pirates appreciation Thread  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Oct 5th, 2012 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
136th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9688
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: Papa Voo wrote:
Not one of the biggest collapses???




On Sunday afternoon, the Pittsburgh Pirates made history of the wrong kind by not only assuring their 20th consecutive losing season, but by completing arguably the biggest collapse in MLB history. No team in history has been more than 16 games over .500 in August and collapsed far enough to finish the season under .500. The Pirates were 16 games over on Aug. 6 but have lost 18 of 23 to fall to 77-82.



The thing is, it seems there are new records made in baseball every week it seems.

He'll I saw a stat the other day that stated Oakland set a MLB record for having won the most games with the most rookie pitchers. So who was the former record holder? Detroit set a record for most hits hit off a lefty this year. Again, a record I never heard of until now. It's almost like stat companies are creating records to justify the existence of them now.

To me, Pittsburgh did have a collapse, but they eliminated themselves from playoff contention early enough to avoid being the 2011 Red Sox

I don't think the collapse was based on making the playoffs.  If the Pirates had remained with somewhat of the same record and another team had a better record then it would not be looked at as a monumental collapse, but when you are that many games over .500 and just break down to barely winning a few games in the next two months it is mind-boggling.



____________________
“Anybody notice that Papa Voo can make all these posts, despite the fact he hasn't been logged in all night? #S&W (Scumbag Liars & Worthless Trash)“

-(Comedian/Troll Wanna Be) Heenan Fan-
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 5th, 2012 10:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
137th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Papa Voo wrote: mike3775 wrote: Papa Voo wrote:
Not one of the biggest collapses???




On Sunday afternoon, the Pittsburgh Pirates made history of the wrong kind by not only assuring their 20th consecutive losing season, but by completing arguably the biggest collapse in MLB history. No team in history has been more than 16 games over .500 in August and collapsed far enough to finish the season under .500. The Pirates were 16 games over on Aug. 6 but have lost 18 of 23 to fall to 77-82.



The thing is, it seems there are new records made in baseball every week it seems.

He'll I saw a stat the other day that stated Oakland set a MLB record for having won the most games with the most rookie pitchers. So who was the former record holder? Detroit set a record for most hits hit off a lefty this year. Again, a record I never heard of until now. It's almost like stat companies are creating records to justify the existence of them now.

To me, Pittsburgh did have a collapse, but they eliminated themselves from playoff contention early enough to avoid being the 2011 Red Sox

I don't think the collapse was based on making the playoffs.  If the Pirates had remained with somewhat of the same record and another team had a better record then it would not be looked at as a monumental collapse, but when you are that many games over .500 and just break down to barely winning a few games in the next two months it is mind-boggling.
That is true, but they did end up winning what 79 games, so they actually did have improvement over last year.  Now they should have won more, that is true, but I don't think they fall into the "all time greatest collapse" category like many are trying to put them in.

Like I said earlier, I think collapse only applies to missing the playoffs.  The Yankees almost got on that list this year, but they got lucky at the end because Baltimore couldn't capitalize on it nor could Tampa Bay.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2012 01:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
138th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9688
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: Papa Voo wrote: mike3775 wrote: Papa Voo wrote:
Not one of the biggest collapses???




On Sunday afternoon, the Pittsburgh Pirates made history of the wrong kind by not only assuring their 20th consecutive losing season, but by completing arguably the biggest collapse in MLB history. No team in history has been more than 16 games over .500 in August and collapsed far enough to finish the season under .500. The Pirates were 16 games over on Aug. 6 but have lost 18 of 23 to fall to 77-82.



The thing is, it seems there are new records made in baseball every week it seems.

He'll I saw a stat the other day that stated Oakland set a MLB record for having won the most games with the most rookie pitchers. So who was the former record holder? Detroit set a record for most hits hit off a lefty this year. Again, a record I never heard of until now. It's almost like stat companies are creating records to justify the existence of them now.

To me, Pittsburgh did have a collapse, but they eliminated themselves from playoff contention early enough to avoid being the 2011 Red Sox

I don't think the collapse was based on making the playoffs.  If the Pirates had remained with somewhat of the same record and another team had a better record then it would not be looked at as a monumental collapse, but when you are that many games over .500 and just break down to barely winning a few games in the next two months it is mind-boggling.
That is true, but they did end up winning what 79 games, so they actually did have improvement over last year.  Now they should have won more, that is true, but I don't think they fall into the "all time greatest collapse" category like many are trying to put them in.

Like I said earlier, I think collapse only applies to missing the playoffs.  The Yankees almost got on that list this year, but they got lucky at the end because Baltimore couldn't capitalize on it nor could Tampa Bay.


You are wrong  collapse is not directly associated with making the playoffs.  where did you even get this shit?  Do you just make it up in your head?



____________________
“Anybody notice that Papa Voo can make all these posts, despite the fact he hasn't been logged in all night? #S&W (Scumbag Liars & Worthless Trash)“

-(Comedian/Troll Wanna Be) Heenan Fan-
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2012 02:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
139th Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Its what is usually stated when a team like last years Red Sox has stated about when they FAIL TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS after being in the playoff hunt all season long.

The Pirates this year, were in the playoff hunt until August, but then started losing.  But they eliminated themselves long before September rolled around, which is when most teams fail to make the playoffs due to a collapse.

I have never considered a collapse being from going from above .500 after a specific point in the season to finishing below .500 before.  This is the first time it has ever happened on this scale before, but you never heard of other teams with "monumental collapse" and getting the press like this years Pirates have though.  Collapse has usually only been hyped when a team fails to make the playoffs when they were basically a lock for the playoffs.  Pittsburgh was never really a lock for the playoffs when they started losing.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2012 02:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
140th Post
Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15603
Status: 
Offline
mike3775 wrote: Its what is usually stated when a team like last years Red Sox has stated about when they FAIL TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS after being in the playoff hunt all season long.

The Pirates this year, were in the playoff hunt until August, but then started losing.  But they eliminated themselves long before September rolled around, which is when most teams fail to make the playoffs due to a collapse.

I have never considered a collapse being from going from above .500 after a specific point in the season to finishing below .500 before.  This is the first time it has ever happened on this scale before, but you never heard of other teams with "monumental collapse" and getting the press like this years Pirates have though.  Collapse has usually only been hyped when a team fails to make the playoffs when they were basically a lock for the playoffs.  Pittsburgh was never really a lock for the playoffs when they started losing.

but when it becomes 20 years since their last above 500 season it becomes a big collapse.  This is a losing streak never seen before in American Professional sports.  No organization not the Clippers, Cavaliers, Hartford Whalers, KC Royals, Detroit Lions, New Orleans Saints, no one has every been this bad this long.  Playoffs are the pipe dream, just being average is the first step they can not take.



____________________
Most people don't care if you're telling them the truth or if you're telling them a lie, as long as they're entertained by it. - Tom Waits

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2012 03:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
141st Post
mike3775



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Indiana USA
Posts: 17634
Status: 
Offline
Count Grog wrote: mike3775 wrote: Its what is usually stated when a team like last years Red Sox has stated about when they FAIL TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS after being in the playoff hunt all season long.

The Pirates this year, were in the playoff hunt until August, but then started losing.  But they eliminated themselves long before September rolled around, which is when most teams fail to make the playoffs due to a collapse.

I have never considered a collapse being from going from above .500 after a specific point in the season to finishing below .500 before.  This is the first time it has ever happened on this scale before, but you never heard of other teams with "monumental collapse" and getting the press like this years Pirates have though.  Collapse has usually only been hyped when a team fails to make the playoffs when they were basically a lock for the playoffs.  Pittsburgh was never really a lock for the playoffs when they started losing.

but when it becomes 20 years since their last above 500 season it becomes a big collapse.  This is a losing streak never seen before in American Professional sports.  No organization not the Clippers, Cavaliers, Hartford Whalers, KC Royals, Detroit Lions, New Orleans Saints, no one has every been this bad this long.  Playoffs are the pipe dream, just being average is the first step they can not take.
Its a combination of bad ownership and decisions.  Plus the new CBA isn't going to help them either, considering now they can't pull a Washington and offer multi millions to their top draft picks to get them to actually sign either

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 08:11 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > 2012 Pittsburgh Pirates appreciation Thread Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems