WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > What Feud Got You Hooked?

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 43344
Status: 
Offline
I think it is usually a feud that draws people in [they want to see how a storyline turns out or they want to see someone get beat] - so for you, what feud got you hooked?

Bruno vs Hansen for me

I remember watching wrestling on and off around 74-75 because I remember the Valiants vs Dean Ho & Tony Garea feud but Bruno vs Hansen was the one that got me to watch every week and of course it became habitual from there

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6995
Status: 
Offline
Same here Beej. I remember watching the CBS Morning News as a kid and the match where Bruno broke his neck was on the "real news". I was already a big fan by that point but I was all in after that.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6995
Status: 
Offline
I even remember the talking head who reported that news - Ray Gandolph.

Big Garea Fan

 

Joined: Wed Mar 4th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2873
Status: 
Offline
Bruno vs Larry Z

I had been a big fan of Larry Z since he had been a tag champ with Tony Garea (I actually thought Larry Z was the best guy on the team). When he clobbered Bruno with the chair, I couldn't believe that my hero had turned into a bad guy.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6995
Status: 
Offline
I recall the story line leading up to it where Larry Z wanted to get out of the shadow of Bruno and be his own man. Wanted a "clean" match. Bruno put on the "Oh gosh, I am very surprised" act. Wouldn't work today but did then.

Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6697
Status: 
Offline
High Flyers vs. Patera and Blackwell.  One Sunday morning before going to church.  About May of '83.  Couldn't leave the TV.  I was glued to the set.  I was hooked.

brodiescomics



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 3361
Status: 
Offline
Von Erichs vs Freebirds for me. Austin vs McMahon brought me back in after a long vacation.

bpickering
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Tue Nov 13th, 2007
Location: Highspire, Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 18247
Status: 
Offline
Wasn't a feud that got me hooked. Just came upon Mr. Fuji and Mr. Saito beat up two guys. I was hooked.

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Dick The Bruiser got me hooked.

Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6995
Status: 
Offline
brodiescomics wrote: Von Erichs vs Freebirds for me. Austin vs McMahon brought me back in after a long vacation.
I remember WCCW finally being televised in the northeast and seeing bits of that.  Looked great.  Too bad I didn't get to see much of that.  

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 7113
Status: 
Offline

Road Warrior Yajuta



Joined: Sat Jul 3rd, 2010
Location: D'Iberville, Ms, USA
Posts: 4798
Status: 
Offline
JYD-Freebirds 1980 Midsouth

Hymie Itsu



Joined: Mon Oct 10th, 2011
Location: Birthplace Of Dean Martin
Posts: 3174
Status: 
Offline
I'd probably have to say when I caught the tail end of the Assassins v Wrestling 1 and 2.

Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 13670
Status: 
Offline
Kenji Shabuja vs Bill Watts.

Matt Farmer

 

Joined: Fri Jun 3rd, 2011
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Posts: 720
Status: 
Offline
For me it was the Rose Army (Buddy Rose & Ed Wiskoski & Sam Oliver Bass) versus a babyfaces. Usaually Ventura, Snuka or Piper. As a young child they kinda blurred together but my vivid memories of seeing Rose covered in blood grabbed my attention.

Whats crazy is that wrestling in this area was so violent but I never really thought of it as violent. It was jusr really exciting.

the squared circle



Joined: Thu Feb 21st, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7969
Status: 
Offline
Probably snuka vs Stevens when Stevens gave snuka a pile driver on the concrete

LarrySC



Joined: Mon Mar 21st, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 1648
Status: 
Offline
Rip Hawk & Swede Hanson vs. Sam Steamboat & Mr. Wrestling. One of the first shows I saw on TV had the heels beating the hell out of the face team and they had to cut short so as to not be televising the bloody mask of Mr. Wrestling!

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
the squared circle wrote: Probably snuka vs Stevens when Stevens gave snuka a pile driver on the concrete
This is mine too.

Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9688
Status: 
Offline
Arion's turn on Strongbow

Cory17



Joined: Sat Oct 20th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 815
Status: 
Offline
The Rockers breakup (I sided with Marty) turned me from a casual fan (I was only 6 years old) to a person who would got to the video store and rent tapes, 5 at a time.

One Fan Gang



Joined: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 4598
Status: 
Offline
AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel vs. The World. By 1978 Verne Gagne was long in the tooth but still viable as a top challenger in the field. Billy Robinson and The Crusher were right there with him.

yellowdog



Joined: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Location: New Bern, North Carolina USA
Posts: 3823
Status: 
Offline
Sammartino vs Gorilla Monsoon or Killer Kowalski

Count Grog
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC, USA
Posts: 15720
Status: 
Offline
Bruno vs George Steele

Chitown Rich

 

Joined: Mon Aug 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 816
Status: 
Offline
clawmaster wrote: Dick The Bruiser got me hooked.


Same here. When I started going Bruiser was the man in Chicago and Heenan was just starting. Those two had incredible heat going between them.

thunderbolt
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Manhattan Beach, California USA
Posts: 6205
Status: 
Offline
If for no other reason than it was the hottest feud going in the AWA when I discovered wrestling, Bill Watt v Dr. X.

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Rich vs. Sawyer. Always liked the NWA over the WWF

Big Garea Fan

 

Joined: Wed Mar 4th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2873
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: the squared circle wrote: Probably snuka vs Stevens when Stevens gave snuka a pile driver on the concrete
This is mine too.

I am surprised that multiple people mentioned this feud. If I recall correctly, it didn't seem to last very long.

Blazer



Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 6697
Status: 
Offline
Wasn't that Stevens piledriver on Snuka totally botched? Not sure I've actually ever seen it, to be honest.

Sad_Astronaut



Joined: Wed Jan 13th, 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 800
Status: 
Offline
Interesting topic and interesting question.  I don't ever recall something 'hooking' me in terms of a fued or rivalry.  I remember wrestling not being on much.  Mostly Saturday at 12noon and occasionally on Sunday evenings at 7pm.  I remember my Dad really enjoying it and him getting excited and yelling at the TV.  It was almost an event that we'd gather around to watch wrestling, my Dad, my brother and I.  I remember being 'hooked' because whatever I saw was never enough, I always wanted to watch more.
Although thinking back to my childhood I still remember Andre "turning" on Hogan in Piper's pit and the build to WMIII.  So while I had no clue as a kid now that I think about it, I guess it was Hogan / Andre.

khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 16391
Status: 
Offline
I was interested (according to my parents) even before I can remember watching it, but mine would either be Dino Bravo-Super Destroyer II in 1979 or Greg Gagne-Nick Bockwinkel in 1979 (Greg won a non-title tv match with a sleeper). I don't remember which came first and they were both in 1979.
Both were considered huge upsets and I was hooked by that dynamic of it and all the follow-up promos for their upcoming rematches.

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10019
Status: 
Offline
Big Garea Fan wrote: dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: the squared circle wrote: Probably snuka vs Stevens when Stevens gave snuka a pile driver on the concrete
This is mine too.
I am surprised that multiple people mentioned this feud. If I recall correctly, it didn't seem to last very long.

You have to remember the context. IIRC, the pile driver came right on the heels of Snuka breaking from Albano and aligning with Buddy Rogers.
Doesn't hurt that the pile driver just happened to occur just a month or two after I initially became a semi regular viewer. It was all over for me after that.

Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9688
Status: 
Offline
I agree with Sad Astro....there was no single feud that captured me in as a fan. I was watching wrestling 2-3 years before the Arion-Strongbow feud. I listed that one because it stands out for me.

Last edited on Sun Mar 2nd, 2014 06:10 am by Papa Voo

beejmi
THE BIG KAHUNA


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 43344
Status: 
Offline
What do you remember from Strongbow vs Arion? There's no video of it (yet) so it is largely forgotten.

Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 9688
Status: 
Offline
I remember almost everything from it, but the chronological order of things seems to be mixed up in my head.

If you read Bert's post from 12/11/10, that about sums it up. 

http://www.infinitecore.ca/superstar/index.php?threadid=70010&page=0#pager


Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6995
Status: 
Offline
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: Rich vs. Sawyer. Always liked the NWA over the WWF I think it was in 79 when we got cable and I first saw GCW.  Right away, I was a huge mark for them over the WWWF.   In every way, I found it to be way more entertaining than the squash matches on my UHF stations.  The Sawyer/Rich feud was awesome.  Roddy's run was also memorable.   Dibiase being piled drived endlessly by the Free Birds.  So many great memories.

Big Garea Fan

 

Joined: Wed Mar 4th, 2009
Location:  
Posts: 2873
Status: 
Offline
Ultimark wrote: freebirdsforever2001 wrote: Rich vs. Sawyer. Always liked the NWA over the WWF I think it was in 79 when we got cable and I first saw GCW.  Right away, I was a huge mark for them over the WWWF.   In every way, I found it to be way more entertaining than the squash matches on my UHF stations.  The Sawyer/Rich feud was awesome.  Roddy's run was also memorable.   Dibiase being piled drived endlessly by the Free Birds.  So many great memories.
GCW on TBS was much better than the WWF shows since it often showed highlights from matches at The Omni, occasionally had competitive matches between top stars, and always had run-ins to further angles. 

The only knock that I had against GCW was how low the ring was to the ground. I was used to the WWF rings that were about shoulder height - when a wrestler was thrown from the ring it looked like a legitimate drop. The GCW ring was about knee height and I couldn't buy into wrestlers being hurt when being thrown from the ring - I had taken bigger drops when falling out of my bed.

cheapseats



Joined: Thu Jul 8th, 2010
Location: Houston, Texas USA
Posts: 1125
Status: 
Offline
Lawler vs. Dundee.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 52703
Status: 
Offline
cheapseats wrote: Lawler vs. Dundee.
Which time?

cheapseats



Joined: Thu Jul 8th, 2010
Location: Houston, Texas USA
Posts: 1125
Status: 
Offline
Late 70's

freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20758
Status: 
Offline
Big Garea Fan wrote: Ultimark wrote: freebirdsforever2001 wrote: Rich vs. Sawyer. Always liked the NWA over the WWF I think it was in 79 when we got cable and I first saw GCW.  Right away, I was a huge mark for them over the WWWF.   In every way, I found it to be way more entertaining than the squash matches on my UHF stations.  The Sawyer/Rich feud was awesome.  Roddy's run was also memorable.   Dibiase being piled drived endlessly by the Free Birds.  So many great memories.
GCW on TBS was much better than the WWF shows since it often showed highlights from matches at The Omni, occasionally had competitive matches between top stars, and always had run-ins to further angles. 

The only knock that I had against GCW was how low the ring was to the ground. I was used to the WWF rings that were about shoulder height - when a wrestler was thrown from the ring it looked like a legitimate drop. The GCW ring was about knee height and I couldn't buy into wrestlers being hurt when being thrown from the ring - I had taken bigger drops when falling out of my bed.

The matches in the NWA were better as a whole. The guys seemed to be better wrestlers then the punch & kick style of the WWF.

clawmaster
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: The Bowels Of East Central Illinois
Posts: 48216
Status: 
Offline
Chitown Rich wrote: clawmaster wrote: Dick The Bruiser got me hooked.


Same here. When I started going Bruiser was the man in Chicago and Heenan was just starting. Those two had incredible heat going between them.

I'll also add the Bruiser & Crusher vs Blackjacks w/ Heenan feud cemented my fandom.

DaNkinator



Joined: Tue Oct 23rd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 6116
Status: 
Offline
Rock 'n Roll Express vs. Midnight Express. Summer of '85. I saw a run in and I thought Cornette was funny as hell. And my girlfriend at the time was in love with Ricky Morton, so I wanted to see him get punked out.



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems