WowBB Forums Home 
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > YANKEES vs ASTROS -- LIVE IN-GAME THREAD

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi  
AuthorPost
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41534
Status: 
Offline
'Purists' do not like the whole 'one game wildcard' round but I love it. It's a great TV event.

Everyone in NY pulling for the Yankees, the rest of the US pulling for the Astros I imagine.

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: 'Purists' do not like the whole 'one game wildcard' round but I love it. It's a great TV event.

Everyone in NY pulling for the Yankees, the rest of the US pulling for the Astros I imagine.
The Yankees have the largest fanbase across the country as many of us got the hell out of dodge, but we're still lifers for the Yanks.

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41534
Status: 
Offline
Yankees both the most popular and most-hated at the same time. [/pro wrestling illustrated monthly ratings]

By the way, you didn't 'get the hell out of Dodge' you got the hell out of New Jersey ;)

'Dodge' is in Kansas somewhere I believe

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41534
Status: 
Offline
Nice to see the Yankees back in the playoffs and of course the Astros have had a longer absence from the post-season but always nice to see a 'fresh' team

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Ellsbury benched, Chris Young playing instead.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
It's very simple. Tanaka needs to be nearly perfect and match Keukel 0 for 0, and then the Yanks can scratch out a run or two against the Astros soft bullpen. Anything else happens, the Yanks are done.

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6844
Status: 
Online
I'd rather see the Yankees win as I think the Royals match up better against them than they do vs Houston.

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6844
Status: 
Online
This fake strike zone box on ESPN is already annoying me.

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
Principal_Raditch wrote: This fake strike zone box on ESPN is already annoying me.Kind of like the puck that used to glow.

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10016
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Ellsbury benched, Chris Young playing instead.
What's the story with this?

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: srossi wrote: Ellsbury benched, Chris Young playing instead.
What's the story with this?

Ellsbury and Gardner have been slumping and Young is just about the only Yankee who hits Keuchel. One of them had to sit and a little surprisingly it's Ellsbury. 

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
Total bullshit last strike on ARod.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Tanaka with a 1-2-3 inning. Keukel walks Young but otherwise gets out of it. Yanks elevating Keukel's pitch count though, Keukel just a bit off in the early going. It's imperative that they work counts even if they make outs.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Home run Colby Rasmus. If the Astros score 1 more it's probably over. We won't score 3.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6011
Status: 
Offline
Die New York Die. 

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6011
Status: 
Offline
Chief Colby Rasmus putting the hurt on  Prof. Toru Tanaka

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
Professor needs to throw some salt in the eyes in order to get the advantage.

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41534
Status: 
Offline
Dallas Keuchel could pass as a Wyatt if this baseball thing doesn't work out

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
That could've been the game right there. Tanaka gets out of a bases loaded jam. He can't give up another run.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6011
Status: 
Offline
HBF wrote: Professor needs to throw some salt in the eyes in order to get the advantage.
Damn you. I was planning on using that at some point.:tongue:

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6011
Status: 
Offline
Altuve's tiny.  Looks like a jockey.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
We've got Keukel and the umpire pitching against us. Crazy strike zone calls so far. Virtually no chance of this continues.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6011
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: We've got Keukel and the umpire pitching against us. Crazy strike zone calls so far. Virtually no chance of this continues.

It's "Bo" Dallas Keuchel so you just gotta "BoLieve"

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Bird with the Yankees first hit but nothing else. One positive: Keukel at 39 pitches through 2.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6011
Status: 
Offline
He's got a foreign object in that beard.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Springer with the lead-off double but Tanaka seems to settle down a bit and gets out of it. Nice bare-handed pick-up by Headley on a slow roller to end the inning, and he's been atrocious in the field this year, particularly in the 1st half.

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
My buddy Tony is freaking out as he has all season.  He needs to chill the fuck out. This Yankee team has been playing with house money since day 1 of this season. They weren't supposed to be good whatsoever. Overall, one of the most unexpected seasons in my lifetime fandom of the Yanks.

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
Chris Archer is an articulate young guy.  Hell of a pitcher too. 

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Keukel and the umpire continue to befuddle the Yanks, but Keukel over 50 pitches through 3. Have to get him out in the 6th, and pray that Tanaka doesn't give up another run before then.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
HBF wrote: Chris Archer is an articulate young guy.  Hell of a pitcher too. 

Archer and the chick are working circles around Shulman and Kruk.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Carlos Gomez homer. It's over.

beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 41534
Status: 
Offline
Its the 4th inning. Anything can happen.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
beejmi wrote: Its the 4th inning. Anything can happen.

I've been watching this team all year. We can't hit. The Astros pen needs to be really bad for us to score 3 runs. 

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6844
Status: 
Online
Dallas Koookly is supposed to suck on the road. The Yankees should be lighting his ass up.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Tanaka taken out - 5 innings, 2 runs. Ok performance but not good enough. Wilson is 1st out of the pen and retires the side, but we have to start scoring. 12 outs to go and the entire offense has consisted of a hit and a walk, nothing after the 2nd inning. Pathetic.

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6844
Status: 
Online
Bring in Ellsbury

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Keukel vs A-Rod, tying runs on, 2 out. This is the marquee match-up.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
And he jumps on the 1st pitch and hits s soft fly to center. Once again, not coming through in the postseason. 

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: And he jumps on the 1st pitch and hits s soft fly to center. Once again, not coming through in the postseason. Gardner looks off too. Actually they should have pinch hit JR Murphy for Gardner and then let Ellsbury play the field.

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
WHere's Brian Doyle when you need him?

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
HBF wrote: srossi wrote: And he jumps on the 1st pitch and hits s soft fly to center. Once again, not coming through in the postseason. Gardner looks off too. Actually they should have pinch hit JR Murphy for Gardner and then let Ellsbury play the field.

Gardner has regressed in every area, including base running, this season and never developed into the player I thought he would. Very disappointing. He's one of the few guys I didn't want to chuck 2 years ago, but he's not a winner either. 

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Wilson out of the game after 1 1/3 scoreless. In comes Betances, but he's given up some long balls the past month so this isn't as automatic as it once was.

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6844
Status: 
Online
3-0 now

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Walk, stolen base, blooper by Altuve off of Betances to make it 3-0, which might as we'll be 83-0.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Absolutely stunned they took out Keukel after 6 with his pitch count under 90. Just bizarre. This is the sliver of hope we need. Tony Sipp pitching.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Sipp fell behind every batter, looked frustrated and nervous, and still the Yankees could do nothing except draw 1 walk. This team didn't deserve to be here. They should've lost a few more and given the Angels a chance. They've done nothing but disgrace the pinstripes for 4 years.

Last edited on Wed Oct 7th, 2015 07:59 am by srossi

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Betances strikes out the side but it's too little too late. In the 8th the Yankees have Gregorius, Gardner, and Young. 6 outs left in the season. They need to pinch hit for Gardner, who looks lost, but I doubt Girardi will.

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6844
Status: 
Online
Yankees down to their last 4 outs. What a pathetic effort.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Gardner gets booed for the 1st time I can ever remember after grounding out. Ellsbury pinch hits for Young instead.

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6844
Status: 
Online
People already gone. They just showed the 3rd base line seats and they were at least 1/2 empty.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
Miller pitches the 9th and retires the Astrod in order.

Last 3 outs now. Beltran, A-Rod, McCann. I'd call it the heart of the order if this team had any heart.

Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 6011
Status: 
Offline
Chief Colby "Jay Strongbow" Rasmus, Carlos "Colon" Gomez and Jose "Estrada" Altuve win by getting "The Mighty Yankees" to tap out to their finisher "The Stro" 

Luke "Crazy Luke Graham"  Gregorson with a run in "face turn" to "Save" the match when it looked like the Mighty Yankees might turn the tide.



Last edited on Wed Oct 7th, 2015 08:26 am by Angelic Assassin

Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6844
Status: 
Online
Useless effort by NY. On to KC for the Astros.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
I appreciate that they went down 1-2-3 instead of wasting more of my time. Gutless losers. I've said this at the end of every season for years now, I really wish they'd blow this team up and finish last for the next 3 years so we could rebuild.



 

Joined: 
Location:  
Posts: 
Status: 
Offline
Gutless performance. Starts with the manager. Played not to lose and benched the wrong lefty OF.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
nyhack56 wrote: Gutless performance. Starts with the manager. Played not to lose and benched the wrong lefty OF.
I'm done with Girardi but no manager can win with this team. Cashman is the most clueless GM I've ever seen and no one ever discusses firing him. And just think about this: A-Rod is still tied up for TWO more years, Headley for THREE, McCann, Texeira, Beltran, Ellsbury, the entire cast of losers all locked up and all untradeable. You can't even salvage it.  No room for no players, they're just shuffling decks on the Titanic last last year. And when the bad contracts run out, he'll go right out and sign new bad contracts that we'll be stuck with until 2022. 

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43457
Status: 
Offline
Most fans predicted the Yanks would not make the playoffs before the season started. No offense was the main concern, but only one team in MLB scored more runs than the Yankees.The gritty Yanks contended for the division until injuries to Texeira & age finally catching up to A-Rod. 
They played far better than they had a right to. 

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: Most fans predicted the Yanks would not make the playoffs before the season started. No offense was the main concern, but only one team in MLB scored more runs than the Yankees.The gritty Yanks contended for the division until injuries to Texeira & age finally catching up to A-Rod. 
They played far better than they had a right to. 

This is why you need to watch the games.  The Yankees would go weeks without scoring.  No Yankees fan thought this was a good offense.  The stats were skewed by bursts of power, mostly in the first half, that would last about a week each, to always be proceeded by another 2 weeks of nothing.  And without the home run, they never did learn to manufacture a run or string hits together all year long, so we were all saying this would be a huge issue in the postseason even when they were playing well.

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43457
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: lobo316 wrote: Most fans predicted the Yanks would not make the playoffs before the season started. No offense was the main concern, but only one team in MLB scored more runs than the Yankees.The gritty Yanks contended for the division until injuries to Texeira & age finally catching up to A-Rod. 
They played far better than they had a right to. 

This is why you need to watch the games.  The Yankees would go weeks without scoring.  No Yankees fan thought this was a good offense.  The stats were skewed by bursts of power, mostly in the first half, that would last about a week each, to always be proceeded by another 2 weeks of nothing.  And without the home run, they never did learn to manufacture a run or string hits together all year long, so we were all saying this would be a huge issue in the postseason even when they were playing well.



Which is why I think the Jays will  lose to the Rangers. Too many 12-2 games during the season but they had problems winning 4-3 games. 

khawk
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 15715
Status: 
Offline
Jays had the worst one-run game record of any division winner in I think History...15-28 or something like that.

So, you could be right, unless that pattern changes in the post-season.

lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43457
Status: 
Offline
If Bret "The Hitman" Hart ever needs a stunt double, he has one in Colby Rasmus.
The Houston Astros outfielder didn't waste any time removing his shirt and slapping on the goggles following his team's 3-0 win over the New York Yankees in the wild-card game - showing off a striking resemblance to the retired wrestler.
Colby Rasmus: Wild Card Heavyweight Champion. (h/t@JeromeSolomonpic.twitter.com/c17d1lUNUq
— Chris Reed (@birdbrained) October 7, 2015
Yo pic.twitter.com/Wix3MkluJY
— Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) October 7, 2015
While Rasmus won't go down as the best there is, the best there was, or the best there ever will be, he did hit a solo home run off Masahiro Tanaka in what proved to be the eventual winning run Tuesday.










dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10016
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: If Bret "The Hitman" Hart ever needs a stunt double, he has one in Colby Rasmus.
The Houston Astros outfielder didn't waste any time removing his shirt and slapping on the goggles following his team's 3-0 win over the New York Yankees in the wild-card game - showing off a striking resemblance to the retired wrestler.
Colby Rasmus: Wild Card Heavyweight Champion. (h/t@JeromeSolomonpic.twitter.com/c17d1lUNUq
— Chris Reed (@birdbrained) October 7, 2015
Yo pic.twitter.com/Wix3MkluJY
— Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) October 7, 2015
While Rasmus won't go down as the best there is, the best there was, or the best there ever will be, he did hit a solo home run off Masahiro Tanaka in what proved to be the eventual winning run Tuesday.











Judging by his ink, I'd say Rasmus did some time in the state penitentiary.  

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
lobo316 wrote: Most fans predicted the Yanks would not make the playoffs before the season started. No offense was the main concern, but only one team in MLB scored more runs than the Yankees.The gritty Yanks contended for the division until injuries to Texeira & age finally catching up to A-Rod. 
They played far better than they had a right to.
I'm in agreement here and I was one of them who predicted last place.

Negatives for next year:
Bad Contracts-CC, Ellsbury (WTF-I never liked this guy to begin with!), Headley
Blocking Bird at 1B
Lower bullpen depth-other than Miller, Dellin, Wilson, they were very shaky.
Overworked bullpen-Girardi killed Chasen Shreve
Starters health-Tanaka is likely hurt, Pineda always on DL, Eovaldi hurt, CC a drunk (but he pitched his best on the sauce!)
Girardi maxed out this team.  They are frustrating to watch sometimes and he does a lot of stupid strategical moves, but he did get this team to overachieve IMO.
Did I say the Ellsbury contract? Might be the worst in baseball. Crashman should be fired for that and the Headley deals.  I'll give a pass on McCann.

Positives:
Young talent-1B-Bird, 2B-Refsnyder, OF-Heathcott, Mason Williams,
Better talent on the way-SS Mateo, OF Judge, LHP Clarkin, RHP Kaprellian, 3B Jagielo
Trades worked out-DD at SS (sucked in the beginning of the year), Eovaldi

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
When I dropped off this thread, my buddy Tony and I spent the rest of the night texting obscure Yankees back and forth as we watched the game implode in front of us. There were references to Ken Brett, Dennis Sherrill, and Dave Revering, not to mention the vaunted pitching staff of Tim Leary, Andy Hawkins, Wade Taylor, Dave Lapoint, Jeff Johnson and Scott Kamieniecki, backed up by Dave Eiland and Chuck Cary.  It was pretty funny to see how many bad Yankees we could come up with. 

It really isn't that bad now compared to those days.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
khawk wrote: Jays had the worst one-run game record of any division winner in I think History...15-28 or something like that.

So, you could be right, unless that pattern changes in the post-season.

I looked it up and your Jays record is correct.  The Yankees were 23-24 in 1-run games but most of the losses were in the 2nd half when the bullpen started to suffer too.  They were 4-9 in extra inning games and lost their last 5 in a row.  The Jays, for what it's worth, were 8-6 in extra inning games. 

The Astros are 27-22 in 1-run games and 5-4 in extra innings.  The Royals are 23-17 in 1-run games and 10-6 in extra innings.

I like the Royals chances coming out of the A.L., but the N.L. overall is much stronger and several N.L. teams should be able to win it all.

Last edited on Wed Oct 7th, 2015 10:54 pm by srossi

tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4436
Status: 
Online
What do the Yankees have coming up through the minors? The team has relied on big signings for a few years now, but the mid 1990s revival that led to four World Series triumphs in five years and then two more AL pennants in the next three years was largely buiilt on homegrown talent.

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: What do the Yankees have coming up through the minors? The team has relied on big signings for a few years now, but the mid 1990s revival that led to four World Series triumphs in five years and then two more AL pennants in the next three years was largely buiilt on homegrown talent.Quite a bit, surprisingly.

C-Gary Sanchez, AAA, has played in the Futures game and has a top-pedigree for a  bat but reminds some of Jesus Montero.  That may be working against him.  JR Murphy will be a slightly better than average hitter but great defender, much like Joe Girardi.

1B-Greg Bird-already in the majors

2B-Rob Refsnyder, already in the majors

SS-Jose Mateo, Single A, most SB's in the minors this season, their new top prospect

3B-Eric Jagielo, AA and was hurt this season but was a first rounder two years ago.  Should be ready by 2017.

OF-Slade Heathcott, already in majors
      Mason Williams, AAA/Majors-came up this season and restored his status
      Aaron Judge-AAA, he and/or Mateo are the top prospects and he is similar to
      Giancarlo Stanton, but he whiffs a lot!
      Ben Gamel/Jake Cave-basically the same guy as Gardner/Ellsbury (Then again so
      are Heathcott and Williams, they should try to trade Gardner and Ellsbury)

SP-James Kaprellian-, short season, RHP, 1st rounder from UCLA this season
     Ian Clarkin-AA, LHP, 1st rounder two years ago, was hurt this season
     Ty Hensley, High A, another guy who got hurt early

Relievers-a virtual mill of them as evidenced this season. 

That Ellsbury signing was the single dumbest signing of Crashman's career.  The guy is always hurt and wasn't worth anywhere near that investment.  The Headley deal is the kicker. That guy could have been had on a two-year deal and the idiot gave him 4.  Now we're stuck with that mediocre player when we have a younger and better player coming along.

srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49501
Status: 
Offline
HBF wrote: tamalie wrote: What do the Yankees have coming up through the minors? The team has relied on big signings for a few years now, but the mid 1990s revival that led to four World Series triumphs in five years and then two more AL pennants in the next three years was largely buiilt on homegrown talent.Quite a bit, surprisingly.

C-Gary Sanchez, AAA, has played in the Futures game and has a top-pedigree for a  bat but reminds some of Jesus Montero.  That may be working against him.  JR Murphy will be a slightly better than average hitter but great defender, much like Joe Girardi.

1B-Greg Bird-already in the majors

2B-Rob Refsnyder, already in the majors

SS-Jose Mateo, Single A, most SB's in the minors this season, their new top prospect

3B-Eric Jagielo, AA and was hurt this season but was a first rounder two years ago.  Should be ready by 2017.

OF-Slade Heathcott, already in majors
      Mason Williams, AAA/Majors-came up this season and restored his status
      Aaron Judge-AAA, he and/or Mateo are the top prospects and he is similar to
      Giancarlo Stanton, but he whiffs a lot!
      Ben Gamel/Jake Cave-basically the same guy as Gardner/Ellsbury (Then again so
      are Heathcott and Williams, they should try to trade Gardner and Ellsbury)

SP-James Kaprellian-, short season, RHP, 1st rounder from UCLA this season
     Ian Clarkin-AA, LHP, 1st rounder two years ago, was hurt this season
     Ty Hensley, High A, another guy who got hurt early

Relievers-a virtual mill of them as evidenced this season. 

That Ellsbury signing was the single dumbest signing of Crashman's career.  The guy is always hurt and wasn't worth anywhere near that investment.  The Headley deal is the kicker. That guy could have been had on a two-year deal and the idiot gave him 4.  Now we're stuck with that mediocre player when we have a younger and better player coming along.

The Yankees have had so many overhyped prospects that it's impossible to take any of this seriously.  Bird did very well replacing Teixeira in high-pressure games and might be the real deal, and they seem OK with young relievers, but other than that I want to see these guys do it for 2-3 years in the majors before anointing anyone "the future".  The last homegrown player who has had any staying power at all is Gardner, and he never developed into the leadoff hitter he should've and has become a competent-at-best everyday player.  And he's the absolute cream of the crop since the Core Four days.  Guys like Refsnyder, Heatchott, and Mason could very easily be hitting .220 in the majors 2 years from now and be bench players, and that's a best case scenario since many Yankees prospects are out of the game entirely very quickly.

dogfacedgremlin34
Will Kick Your Ass At Fantasy Football


Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2008
Location: Massachusetts USA
Posts: 10016
Status: 
Offline
HBF wrote: That Ellsbury signing was the single dumbest signing of Crashman's career.  The guy is always hurt and wasn't worth anywhere near that investment.  

I could've told you that at the time it was made.  Many in these parts were screaming about the sky falling when he Ellsbury went south, but most that follow didn't.  I for one wasn't sorry to see him go...just like in NY, he's always hurt and never seems to rise up to expectations.  He parlayed his one really, really good season in 2011 into that obscene contract.  Have fun with him for the next six seasons.  

On a side note, I look at Ellsbury's 2011 season in the same way I look at Brady Anderson's 1992 season.  Ellsbury was unbelievable in 2011, but his numbers so far exceeded his career averages, that I have to wonder if he didn't have a bit of "help" throughout the course of the year.

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
dogfacedgremlin34 wrote: HBF wrote: That Ellsbury signing was the single dumbest signing of Crashman's career.  The guy is always hurt and wasn't worth anywhere near that investment.  

I could've told you that at the time it was made.  Many in these parts were screaming about the sky falling when he Ellsbury went south, but most that follow didn't.  I for one wasn't sorry to see him go...just like in NY, he's always hurt and never seems to rise up to expectations.  He parlayed his one really, really good season in 2011 into that obscene contract.  Have fun with him for the next six seasons.  

On a side note, I look at Ellsbury's 2011 season in the same way I look at Brady Anderson's 1992 season.  Ellsbury was unbelievable in 2011, but his numbers so far exceeded his career averages, that I have to wonder if he didn't have a bit of "help" throughout the course of the year.
Roids or something for certain

HBF



Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 17866
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: HBF wrote:

The Yankees have had so many overhyped prospects that it's impossible to take any of this seriously.  Bird did very well replacing Teixeira in high-pressure games and might be the real deal, and they seem OK with young relievers, but other than that I want to see these guys do it for 2-3 years in the majors before anointing anyone "the future".  The last homegrown player who has had any staying power at all is Gardner, and he never developed into the leadoff hitter he should've and has become a competent-at-best everyday player.  And he's the absolute cream of the crop since the Core Four days.  Guys like Refsnyder, Heatchott, and Mason could very easily be hitting .220 in the majors 2 years from now and be bench players, and that's a best case scenario since many Yankees prospects are out of the game entirely very quickly.
Agree on them being overhyped. But the last time we appeared to have this much coming up that are performing as they progress was from 1990-94, so this is a very good sign that the system has improved. I am optimistic about this versus the past.



UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems