WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > 2016 - 2017 MLB Off-Season

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
2016 - 2017 MLB Off-Season  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Mar 31st, 2017 08:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
766th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
The Pittsburgh Pirates won't accept any further off-field incidents from Jung Ho Kang.

With Kang still awaiting a visa to enter the United States again after a third DUI in his native South Korea, Pirates president Frank Coonelly is warning the infielder he is on his last legs with the organization.

"He doesn't have any other chances," Coonelly told the Tribune-Review's Chris Adamski on Thursday. "Whatever number of chances he has had, he has exhausted all of them."


Kang was handed a suspended eight-month jail sentence earlier this month for the DUI, meaning he will avoid time in prison if he keeps a clean record for two years. Though he was cleared to return to the Pirates' spring training camp after receiving his sentence in court, he was reportedly denied a visa to re-enter the U.S. and the club placed him on the restricted list, all but assuring he wouldn't be with the team for Opening Day.

Coonelly also admitted the Pirates were unaware of Kang's previous two DUIs before signing him in 2015, and the club may have reconsidered offering him a contract had they discovered his criminal record beforehand.

"Even though it hasn't been a public matter, we still should have dug deeper," Coonelly told Adamski. "Would it have made us make a different decision? Maybe. (But) we didn't know about it."

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Mar 31st, 2017 08:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
767th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco Giants have informed veteran infielder Jimmy Rollins he won't make the team out of spring training and are waiting to hear back from him or his representatives about what options might be next.

Rollins wasn't at AT&T Park on Thursday night for an exhibition game against the Oakland Athletics. Giants general manager Bobby Evans says he has spoken to Rollins about his status with the club. The 2007 NL MVP signed a minor-league deal in December and was a long shot to make the 25-man roster.

The 38-year-old Rollins grew up in the Bay Area and hoped to play near home for the first time after 17 seasons in the majors. But he was batting .119 (5-for-42) with eight strikeouts in 17 Cactus League games.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Mar 31st, 2017 08:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
768th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
Earlier this week, Anthony Gose approached the Detroit Tigers about pitching for the organization after he was reassigned to minor-league camp amid struggles sticking with the big-league club as an everyday outfielder.

The former top prospect threw his first bullpen for the Tigers on Thursday. Manager, and former catcher, Brad Ausmus had positive things to say.

"I was very impressed," Ausmus told Shawn Windsor of the Detroit Free Press. "His delivery was good. Smooth. Not a lot of effort involved. The ball came out good. Had real good finish."

Gose, who pitched and touched 97 mph with his fastball before he was drafted in 2008, threw 20 pitches during the bullpen. Although a radar gun wasn't used during the session, Ausmus appeared excited about the results.

"He said he hadn't pitched in nine years," Ausmus said. "It was impressive. Certainly worth exploring."

The Tigers still plan to primarily play the 26-year-old in the outfield at Triple-A Toledo, but Gose will also pitch on the side to help him with the transition if he chooses to make it.

"It's still ultimately his decision, whether he does it or not," Ausmus told Jason Beck of MLB.com. "He doesn't want to give up on center field. He feels there's a possibility he will be forgotten as an outfielder. I think what we will do is have him throw his bullpens and continue the pitching program, then maybe DH and play outfield some in extended (spring games)."

Since coming to the Tigers in a trade from the Toronto Blue Jays in 2014, Gose has struggled, hitting just .247/.315/.363. He only managed to slash .203/.276/.312 across two minor-league levels last season.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Apr 1st, 2017 01:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
769th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
A "soggy" arm has developed into a concerning elbow flexor strain for Seattle Mariners left-hander Drew Smyly, and he's now set to open the season on the 10-day disabled list and miss six-to-eight weeks, according to Shannon Drayer of MyNorthwest.com.

He will be replaced in the rotation by Ariel Miranda, Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto announced Friday.

Smyly is not expected to undergo surgery for the ailment, though he will seek a second opinion.

"We don't think this is going to result in a surgical intervention, more rest and rehab," Dipoto said. "This will probably be a six-to-eight-week stretch that we are going to be without Drew."

The 27-year-old appeared for the United States at the World Baseball Classic, pitching in the second round against Venezuela on March 15. Though Dipoto didn't blame the tournament for the injury, the executive admitted Smyly wasn't the same when he returned to the club, according to Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times.

Acquired from the Tampa Bay Rays in January, Smyly was expected to fill out the bottom half of the Mariners' rotation this season. He posted a 4.88 ERA and 1.27 WHIP in 30 starts for Tampa Bay in 2016.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Apr 2nd, 2017 01:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
770th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
It turns out the Texas Rangers will need to use their "last resort," as third baseman Adrian Beltre will begin the season on the 10-day disabled list due to a troublesome right calf, manager Jeff Banister told Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News.

He will be replaced at the hot corner on Opening Day by Joey Gallo.

Beltre initially injured his calf earlier in camp, though he recovered in time to join the Dominican Republic at the World Baseball Classic. On Sunday against the Los Angeles Dodgers, however, Beltre reaggravated the ailment, and was removed from the contest before undergoing an MRI the following day.

The 37-year-old said Wednesday he wasn't ready to entertain the idea of landing on the disabled list to open the 2017 campaign.

"That's not an option right now," Beltre said. "That's a last resort. My mindset is to start the season until I find out something different."

Despite turning 38 in a week's time, Beltre has avoided serious injury throughout his career, appearing in a total of 2,720 regular-season contests with the Dodgers, Seattle Mariners, Boston Red Sox, and Rangers over 19 big-league seasons.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Apr 2nd, 2017 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
771st Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
Tyler Glasnow, the 23-year-old right-hander who struggled with consistency last summer in his first taste of the big leagues, will open the 2017 season as the Pittsburgh Pirates' fifth starter, beating out Trevor Williams for the final rotation spot, according to Stephen J. Nesbitt of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"I was extremely excited when they told me," Glasnow told reporters following his club's exhibition against the Toronto Blue Jays at Olympic Stadium in Montreal. "Texted my mom. I'm sure she'll cry enough for all of us. Yeah, it's great. It was honestly - it was really exciting."

Though Glasnow wasn't exceptional this spring, posting a 5.65 ERA while allowing 19 hits in 14 1/3 innings, the 6-foot-8 California native felt better as the Grapefruit League season progressed, he said, and he's now poised to slot into a revamped rotation that also features All-Star Gerrit Cole, the newly re-signed Ivan Nova, and another highly touted youngster in Jameson Taillon.

Selected in the fifth round of 2011 draft, Glasnow - widely considered one of the game's top pitching prospects - flashed both his considerable upside and well-documented control issues during his brief stint with the Pirates last year. Recalled from Triple-A in July for a couple of starts, and then again in September, he managed a 4.24 ERA with Pittsburgh, striking out 24 but walking 13 in 23 1/3 innings.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Apr 2nd, 2017 01:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
772nd Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
The Toronto Blue Jays added to their depth charts Saturday after they announced the signing of super-utility player Chris Coghlan to a minor-league deal.

General manager Ross Atkins said Coghlan will report to Triple-A, according to Sportsnet's Ben Nicholson-Smith.

Coghlan spent spring camp with the Philadelphia Phillies, but was released Tuesday after hitting .231/.319/.282.

The 31-year-old hit .321/.390/.460 during his 2009 rookie campaign with the Florida Marlins to secure NL Rookie of the Year, but hasn't been able to capture the same success since.

Coghlan split the 2016 season between the Oakland Athletics and Chicago Cubs, slashing just .188/.290/.318 with six home runs and 30 RBIs across 99 games. He played five different positions for the two clubs last season.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Apr 2nd, 2017 01:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
773rd Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
The tables appear to have turned in New York City.

Residents of America's most populous city very slightly prefer the Mets to the Yankees, according to a poll released Friday, the New York Daily News' Molly Crane-Newman and Larry McShane report.

The poll was conducted by phone from March 23-27 by Quinnipiac University and surveyed 1,605 people. The Mets were preferred by 45 percent of those polled in NYC as compared to 43 percent for the Yankees.

The Yankees continue to dominate polls in upstate New York, however, owning 53 percent of votes there, compared to just 14 percent for the Mets.

A similar poll conducted three years ago showed 59 percent of people in New York City were in favor of the Yankees compared to 37 percent for the Mets.

The cause of their respective swings in popularity seems obvious. The Mets appeared in the postseason each of the past two years, including a trip to the World Series, while the Yankees are moving in a different direction, focusing more on rebuilding through youth.

The Mets also feature popular players such as Noah Syndergaard, Matt Harvey, and Yoenis Cespedes.

The Yankees kick off their regular season Sunday against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field, while the Mets begin their campaign Monday at home against the Atlanta Braves.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Apr 2nd, 2017 01:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
774th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
Texas Rangers reliever Keone Kela was surprisingly optioned to Triple-A on Friday, a move that appears to have stemmed from an incident in a minor-league spring game.

Kela was demoted by the club thanks to his on-field conduct Wednesday during a "B" game, an unofficial spring contest, sources told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Exactly what happened on the field remains unconfirmed, but it was enough to apparently anger several of the Rangers' veterans. Kela and his upset teammates then reportedly got into some "heated discussions" afterward, according to Rosenthal.


Whatever the incident was, however, it doesn't seem to have soured the Rangers on Kela long term. The demotion looks to be only a short-term disciplinary matter, and sources told Rosenthal that general manager Jon Daniels has no plans to trade the 23-year-old.

"(The incident) doesn't change how we feel about him, short, medium, and long term," Daniels said on Friday, according to Rosenthal. "I have a lot of faith in him as a pitcher and a young man, and hopefully he'll be back with us at some point going forward."

Kela had an impressive rookie season in 2015, emerging as a key cog in the Rangers' bullpen with a 2.39 ERA while averaging over 10 strikeouts per nine innings in 68 appearances. Elbow issues cost him three months of 2016, however, and he finished the year with an inflated 6.09 ERA in just 34 innings.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sun Apr 2nd, 2017 11:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
775th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
Melvin Upton Jr. homered in his final spring training game for the Toronto Blue Jays, but that wasn't enough to keep the veteran outfielder in the club's future plans.

Unable to find a trade partner for Upton, the Blue Jays released him on Sunday as they finalized their roster for Opening Day, according to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.

Upton broke camp competing for time in left field but failed to land even a platoon role after hitting .194/.216/.472 with three home runs and 10 strikeouts in 14 games.

Acquired last July from the San Diego Padres, Upton hit .196/.261/.318 with four home runs and four doubles in 57 games while playing all three outfield positions. The Blue Jays will be responsible for paying him the remaining $1 million on his salary.

Upton is expected to clear waivers Wednesday and will then be eligible to sign with a new team.

Steve Pearce and Ezequiel Carrera are likely now going to serve as the left field tandem in Toronto.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Apr 2nd, 2017 11:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
776th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline
The Toronto Blue Jays placed closer Roberto Osuna on the 10-day disabled list to start the season, according to Sportsnet's Shi Davidi.

Osuna will be eligible to return on April 11 against the Milwaukee Brewers, which just happens to be the Blue Jays' home opener.

Osuna has dealt with neck and back stiffness throughout the spring, and struggled mightily in his one World Baseball Classic appearance, allowing five runs (four earned) in 2/3 of an inning against Team Italy.

The 22-year-old pitched without any restrictions in Friday night's exhibition game against the Pittsburgh Pirates in Montreal. He allowed one hit and no runs with one strikeout in his lone inning of work

Taking Osuna's place is right-handed reliever Dominic Leone. Leone spent 2016 with the Arizona Diamondbacks, posting a 6.33 ERA over 27 innings.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Apr 4th, 2017 04:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
777th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43229
Status: 
Offline

Last edited on Tue Apr 4th, 2017 04:37 am by lobo316

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 06:29 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > 2016 - 2017 MLB Off-Season Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems