WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Ron Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Wrestlers vs Celebrities  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2017 06:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
martini
Sunny's White Knight


Joined: Fri Aug 13th, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3271
Status: 
Offline
Ali-Inoki count?

If so, that predates Kaufman-Lawler by six years.



____________________
Shaken, but not stirred.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2017 06:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 41398
Status: 
Offline
martini wrote: Ali-Inoki count?

If so, that predates Kaufman-Lawler by six years.

I immediately edited my post to take Ali out of the equation since that wasn't a worked pro wrestling match.

But then I just remembered you have the related cross-over stuff around that time, like Andre vs. Chuck Wepner. So maybe that counts. 

Last edited on Fri Feb 24th, 2017 06:26 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2017 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 41398
Status: 
Offline
I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but even though it wasn't a match, the Mohammad Ali-Gorilla Monsoon incident might be the first example of a celebrity doing a worked spot.  But still, with how carny wrestling has always been, I can't help but feel that even way back in the early 1900s, some radio guy or local college athlete or someone like that must've taken a bump.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2017 07:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 3899
Status: 
Online
Savile wrestled in the sixties, reputedly his last match was against Adrian Street in 1971.



____________________
superfunkymean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2017 09:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Kriss



Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 4837
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but even though it wasn't a match, the Mohammad Ali-Gorilla Monsoon incident might be the first example of a celebrity doing a worked spot.  But still, with how carny wrestling has always been, I can't help but feel that even way back in the early 1900s, some radio guy or local college athlete or someone like that must've taken a bump.

"Smartening someone up" was taken very seriously back then. No way they would have let an outsider in on it.



____________________
https://www.facebook.com/AmarilloWrestling
https://wweoldschool.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/krisswrestling
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2017 09:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
Kriss



Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 4837
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: martini wrote: Ali-Inoki count?

If so, that predates Kaufman-Lawler by six years.

I immediately edited my post to take Ali out of the equation since that wasn't a worked pro wrestling match.

But then I just remembered you have the related cross-over stuff around that time, like Andre vs. Chuck Wepner. So maybe that counts. 


The warm-up stuff in Los Angeles definitely falls under the umbrella of pro-wrestling, even if the match in Japan was a "shoot" of sorts. Plus, the match between Ali and Inoki was supposed to be a series of three worked matches.



____________________
https://www.facebook.com/AmarilloWrestling
https://wweoldschool.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/krisswrestling
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2017 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Kriss



Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 4837
Status: 
Offline
kargol wrote: Savile wrestled in the sixties, reputedly his last match was against Adrian Street in 1971.

He was more like a wrestler and a celebrity though. Much like Pat Roach.



____________________
https://www.facebook.com/AmarilloWrestling
https://wweoldschool.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/krisswrestling
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2017 11:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 41398
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: srossi wrote: I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but even though it wasn't a match, the Mohammad Ali-Gorilla Monsoon incident might be the first example of a celebrity doing a worked spot.  But still, with how carny wrestling has always been, I can't help but feel that even way back in the early 1900s, some radio guy or local college athlete or someone like that must've taken a bump.

"Smartening someone up" was taken very seriously back then. No way they would have let an outsider in on it.

You did have the special refs though forever, and they at the very least "acted" mad at heel antics even if they were never completely smartened up. Babe Ruth, Jersey Joe Walcott, and lots of other athletes of the day from the '30s-'50s got some extra paydays from wrestling and knew the deal. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Feb 24th, 2017 11:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
kargol



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location: Brum, United Kingdom
Posts: 3899
Status: 
Online
Kriss wrote: kargol wrote: Savile wrestled in the sixties, reputedly his last match was against Adrian Street in 1971.

He was more like a wrestler and a celebrity though. Much like Pat Roach.

No.  Pat Roach was a wrestler first, an actor very much second.  Savile was a DJ and presenter first, the wrestling was a part-time side issue.

Not long afterwards Harvey Smith, the v-flicking showjumper, also took to the ring.  He was a more convincing presence.



____________________
superfunkymean
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Feb 27th, 2017 03:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
martini
Sunny's White Knight


Joined: Fri Aug 13th, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3271
Status: 
Offline
Following his acquittal from the notorious trial that "The Fugitive" was loosely based upon, Sam Sheppard embarked upon a wrestling career.

He was certainly a famous person at the time and prior to becoming a wrestler as his trial was covered heavily by the media in those days.

Last edited on Mon Feb 27th, 2017 03:36 pm by martini



____________________
Shaken, but not stirred.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 07:21 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > The Clawmaster's Archives > Wrestlers vs Celebrities Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems