WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > WWE Planning Raw 25th Anniversary Special

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
WWE Planning Raw 25th Anniversary Special  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jan 24th, 2018 06:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
106th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48737
Status: 
Offline
martini wrote: Spatulapup wrote: Flair is something else. talk about changing history. Vince was going to be phasing Flair out in 1993 and he wasn't going to be a main event guy anymore. that's why he went back to WCW. because he was assured to be a main event guy back there. The nerve of the guy.lol he loves to trash WCW so much just because of problems with Jim Herd and some problems with Bischoff. he wasn't happy with the NWO being the top group in WCW either. But for the most part Flair really shouldn't complain. WCW did more with him than the WWE would ever have done. Hell WCW handled the Flair/Hogan feud way better than the Vince did. Come on. I'm fairly certain Flair became frustrated as early as 1995 and stayed that way for the remainder of his tenure. On the other hand, he seemed content as jist a contributor when he wasn't the top guy during his final WWE run.
Sometimes it isn't about where you are on the card. It's about if you feel appreciated on the card. I get the sense WCW in the boom period had no clue how to treat its resident legend and that wore on Flair over time.

Well we know that.  Even before the big problems started, Bischoff made that famous locker room speech where he said no one in that room had ever drawn a dime except for Hogan and Piper, and Flair was sitting right there (as were other pretty big names). 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Jan 24th, 2018 06:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
107th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1864
Status: 
Offline
martini wrote: Spatulapup wrote: Flair is something else. talk about changing history. Vince was going to be phasing Flair out in 1993 and he wasn't going to be a main event guy anymore. that's why he went back to WCW. because he was assured to be a main event guy back there. The nerve of the guy.lol he loves to trash WCW so much just because of problems with Jim Herd and some problems with Bischoff. he wasn't happy with the NWO being the top group in WCW either. But for the most part Flair really shouldn't complain. WCW did more with him than the WWE would ever have done. Hell WCW handled the Flair/Hogan feud way better than the Vince did. Come on. I'm fairly certain Flair became frustrated as early as 1995 and stayed that way for the remainder of his tenure. On the other hand, he seemed content as jist a contributor when he wasn't the top guy during his final WWE run.
Sometimes it isn't about where you are on the card. It's about if you feel appreciated on the card. I get the sense WCW in the boom period had no clue how to treat its resident legend and that wore on Flair over time.

But in 1993 he would not not have been happy being a mid carder in the wwf. no way. going back to WCW extended his career and kept him on top for another couple years. he first got upset when the NWO and Hogan became the most important thing. it was a ego thing. even though WCW was at the top of the mountain. he cared more about himself.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Jan 24th, 2018 06:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
108th Post
lobo316
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: Raptorville
Posts: 43137
Status: 
Offline
after RAW went off the air





Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jan 25th, 2018 11:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
109th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48737
Status: 
Offline
I know WWE can hype shit any way they want, but what is WWE's justification for calling Raw the "longest-running primetime episodic television show" when The Simpsons has been on since 1989?  Do cartoons not count?  I remember many years ago they claimed they broke Gunsmoke's record, so they're trying to keep track somewhere.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jan 25th, 2018 11:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
110th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6531
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: I know WWE can hype shit any way they want, but what is WWE's justification for calling Raw the "longest-running primetime episodic television show" when The Simpsons has been on since 1989?  Do cartoons not count?  I remember many years ago they claimed they broke Gunsmoke's record, so they're trying to keep track somewhere.


You have missed out the key word "weekly"

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Jan 25th, 2018 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
111th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4298
Status: 
Online
The WWE's method of counting itself as the "longest running prime time episodic television show" has always confused me. Are they counting the number of episodes to air or the number of years or seasons on the air? With regard to the Simpsons, does that not count for this purpose due to being a cartoon instead of a show with live actors? The answer may actually change depending on what best suits the corporate narrative.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Jan 25th, 2018 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
112th Post
Boz1515



Joined: Sat May 26th, 2012
Location:  
Posts: 1517
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: srossi wrote: I know WWE can hype shit any way they want, but what is WWE's justification for calling Raw the "longest-running primetime episodic television show" when The Simpsons has been on since 1989?  Do cartoons not count?  I remember many years ago they claimed they broke Gunsmoke's record, so they're trying to keep track somewhere.


You have missed out the key word "weekly"

Oh, so "weekly" disqualifies the Simpsons and Saturday Night Live, etc. because they have re-runs.

I guess "episodic" disqualifies The Price is Right, Jeopardy!, and Wheel of Fortune?

I suppose if you disqualify all of those, plus the news type programs too, you must be left with Raw lol.





Last edited on Thu Jan 25th, 2018 11:57 pm by Boz1515

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
113th Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6531
Status: 
Offline
This was WWE's press release:

STAMFORD, Conn., July 26, 2005 – World Wrestling Entertainment® will celebrate the milestone of producing the most original episodes of any weekly fictional entertainment program ever on television when Monday Night RAW airs on August 1 on Spike TV at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

RAW celebrates original episode No. 636 on August 1, surpassing the previous record-holder, Gunsmoke, which produced 635 original episodes during its 20-year run on television, according to several sources. With a production schedule that calls for 52 original episodes a year, RAW surpassed the mark set by Gunsmoke in less than 13 years.


EDIT: So I was wrong about the significance of "weekly" being why it beat the Simpsons. It was based on number of episodes.

Last edited on Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:07 am by Kriss

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
114th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48737
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: srossi wrote: I know WWE can hype shit any way they want, but what is WWE's justification for calling Raw the "longest-running primetime episodic television show" when The Simpsons has been on since 1989?  Do cartoons not count?  I remember many years ago they claimed they broke Gunsmoke's record, so they're trying to keep track somewhere.


You have missed out the key word "weekly"

OK I forgot that part, so anything that has re-runs basically doesn't count, and sports with off-seasons don't count, and news shows don't count, so I guess they have created their own category for themselves.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
115th Post
Superstar
2018 Poster of the Year


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Isle Of, Malta
Posts: 5385
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Kriss wrote: srossi wrote: I know WWE can hype shit any way they want, but what is WWE's justification for calling Raw the "longest-running primetime episodic television show" when The Simpsons has been on since 1989?  Do cartoons not count?  I remember many years ago they claimed they broke Gunsmoke's record, so they're trying to keep track somewhere.


You have missed out the key word "weekly"

OK I forgot that part, so anything that has re-runs basically doesn't count, and sports with off-seasons don't count, and news shows don't count, so I guess they have created their own category for themselves.

I think reruns count to some extent because RAW beat out Gunsmoke for the title, and there's no way there were 52 episodes of Gunsmoke a year.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
116th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48737
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: srossi wrote: Kriss wrote: srossi wrote: I know WWE can hype shit any way they want, but what is WWE's justification for calling Raw the "longest-running primetime episodic television show" when The Simpsons has been on since 1989?  Do cartoons not count?  I remember many years ago they claimed they broke Gunsmoke's record, so they're trying to keep track somewhere.


You have missed out the key word "weekly"

OK I forgot that part, so anything that has re-runs basically doesn't count, and sports with off-seasons don't count, and news shows don't count, so I guess they have created their own category for themselves.

I think reruns count to some extent because RAW beat out Gunsmoke for the title, and there's no way there were 52 episodes of Gunsmoke a year.

The Gunsmoke press release posted above is worded differently though.  That's number of episodes.  I had forgotten that too, but they make up their own accomplishments.  Not that Raw's longevity isn't impressive, but they use mouthfuls to make it sound even better and to find ways to proclaim themselves superior to other more well-known shows.

Last edited on Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:09 am by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
117th Post
glc

 

Joined: Sat Mar 5th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 52
Status: 
Offline
So it's coming out now that a lot of this show had to rewritten because Jimmy Fallon couldn't make it to tape some segments....
 
https://www.si.com/wrestling/2018/01/24/jimmy-fallon-enzo-amore-raw-25

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
118th Post
Superstar
2018 Poster of the Year


Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location: Isle Of, Malta
Posts: 5385
Status: 
Offline
srossi wrote: Superstar wrote: srossi wrote: Kriss wrote: srossi wrote: I know WWE can hype shit any way they want, but what is WWE's justification for calling Raw the "longest-running primetime episodic television show" when The Simpsons has been on since 1989?  Do cartoons not count?  I remember many years ago they claimed they broke Gunsmoke's record, so they're trying to keep track somewhere.


You have missed out the key word "weekly"

OK I forgot that part, so anything that has re-runs basically doesn't count, and sports with off-seasons don't count, and news shows don't count, so I guess they have created their own category for themselves.

I think reruns count to some extent because RAW beat out Gunsmoke for the title, and there's no way there were 52 episodes of Gunsmoke a year.

The Gunsmoke press release posted above is worded differently though.  That's number of episodes.  I had forgotten that too, but they make up their own accomplishments.  Not that Raw's longevity isn't impressive, but they use mouthfuls to make it sound even better and to find ways to proclaim themselves superior to other more well-known shows.

They play with the wording all the time.  Hell, Sportscenter started 14 years before RAW and has had probably 50 times the amount of episodes as raw.  But it's not "episodic".  Soap Operas like Days of our Lives have played every single day for 50 years, but that's not "weekly".  They do what they want and say what they want because it's all a work anyway.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
119th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 48737
Status: 
Offline
glc wrote: So it's coming out now that a lot of this show had to rewritten because Jimmy Fallon couldn't make it to tape some segments....
 
https://www.si.com/wrestling/2018/01/24/jimmy-fallon-enzo-amore-raw-25

How much were they relying on Jimmy Fallon that it caused all those legends in separate segments just to wave to the crowd?  I can't imagine the Fallon stuff would've been that good anyway.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jan 26th, 2018 01:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
120th Post
Spatulapup

 

Joined: Mon Nov 22nd, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 1864
Status: 
Offline
The WWE are a lot like Trump. They just spin things which ever way they want and label it as a fact.lol

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 04:43 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > WWE Planning Raw 25th Anniversary Special Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems