WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Eli Benched In Favor Of Geno Smith

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Eli Benched In Favor Of Geno Smith  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2017 09:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
krazykid18

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1508
Status: 
Offline
nyhack56 wrote: krazykid18 wrote: nyhack56 wrote: The cracks were there last year. They were covered up by the defense play out of their minds and having a soft schedule.

John Mara is not Wellington Mara. He's a little more hot headed. He's more prone to do this.

The spin cycle continues all three created the plan for ELI, but Eli fucked them up saying no and then the backlash, the streak being broke for a Jets reject(who played decent yesterday and actually moved the ball) and then Mara threw both of them under the bus and pretends like he has nothing to do with the plan. McAdoo and Reese are taking the fall because Mara doesn't want the fans embrassing the Giants this week in his stadium so watch Eli be a starter and get his away again even though he has regressed tremendously and underachieved in his career and didn't deserve to start the rest of the season. 

So wait, this is all Eli's fault?  That's the best spin yet.

It is not all Eli's fault but enough with the Eli is God act that has been running thru NY nothing is ever Eli's fault in NY is tiring.I am watching Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins have no line and keep the offense rolling The Giants haven't scored 30 points since Coughlin left. His deep ball throwing is gone and he is inaccurate in short and intermediate passing, again not all his fault but lets stop acting like Eli has no bearing on the 2 and 9 season

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2017 10:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 3503
Status: 
Offline
I don't think anyone is saying Eli Manning is blameless for the Giants going 2-9 this season with him as starting QB. The ship was sinking before Beckham and the rest of the WR corps went down with injuries. However, by this past weekend all was lost for 2017. Unless the plan was to put in Davis Webb to give him a run, something that was sensibly avoided due to the state of the offense and the impact it could have on his development, using Geno Smith had no upside. Considering the ensuing circus that resulted from the benching and the limited tangible gain, the Giants should have just let Eli Manning see out the season.

I say this as someone who was an eyewitness to the Vikings having a 4-12 meltdown season in 2010, one year after losing the NFC Championship Game in overtime. Brett Favre did far worse that season than Eli Manning is in this one, but there was no point in benching him when he was physically able to play. As with Geno Smith, the Shaun Hill alternative was hardly worth anything in the long run.

Last edited on Mon Dec 4th, 2017 10:13 pm by tamalie

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2017 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
nyhack56



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 2182
Status: 
Offline
krazykid18 wrote: nyhack56 wrote: krazykid18 wrote: nyhack56 wrote: The cracks were there last year. They were covered up by the defense play out of their minds and having a soft schedule.

John Mara is not Wellington Mara. He's a little more hot headed. He's more prone to do this.

The spin cycle continues all three created the plan for ELI, but Eli fucked them up saying no and then the backlash, the streak being broke for a Jets reject(who played decent yesterday and actually moved the ball) and then Mara threw both of them under the bus and pretends like he has nothing to do with the plan. McAdoo and Reese are taking the fall because Mara doesn't want the fans embrassing the Giants this week in his stadium so watch Eli be a starter and get his away again even though he has regressed tremendously and underachieved in his career and didn't deserve to start the rest of the season. 

So wait, this is all Eli's fault?  That's the best spin yet.

It is not all Eli's fault but enough with the Eli is God act that has been running thru NY nothing is ever Eli's fault in NY is tiring.I am watching Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins have no line and keep the offense rolling The Giants haven't scored 30 points since Coughlin left. His deep ball throwing is gone and he is inaccurate in short and intermediate passing, again not all his fault but lets stop acting like Eli has no bearing on the 2 and 9 season

I know his skills are declining.  He's 36 years old.  They HAVE to take a QB in the draft.  The might not have another pick this high for many years
Considering he is out the year, how's that oline working out for Rodgers? Kirk Cousins isn't even wanted by his own team.  I think Wilson is a very good QB though.  The Giants are going to have to hope Darnold or Rosen or Mayfield have that kind of ability.



____________________
For every dollar a man makes, a woman makes 70 cents. That's not fair, the man is only left with 30. -- Bo Burnham
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Dec 5th, 2017 08:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 3503
Status: 
Offline
If the Giants didn't draft a QB in the first round, what would they draft for? Right now they'd pick #2 overall after the Browns and ahead of the 49ers due to the Niners getting the head to head win a few weeks ago.

In sunnier news, what about the Vikings? They are 10-2 and have tiebreakers over the Rams, Saints, and Falcons should it come to that and can add another if they beat the Panthers this coming Sunday. Even before Sam Bradford went down, this was unexpected. The schedule looked tough and people figured if they could be 10-6 or 9-7 in the wildcard race, it would be enough. To be the #1 seed in the NFC right now is off the charts.

The remaining slate is At Panthers, Bengals, At Packers, Bears. My big hope is the Packers will be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by week 16 so they'll consider sitting down Aaron Rodgers for the season by the time the Vikes get to Lambeau. The Packers are 6-6 and will be 7-6 most likely after playing the Browns in Cleveland this coming Sunday. The following Sunday sees them go to Carolina. A 7-7 record may have them on the outside looking in by week 15. The Packers are a different team with Rodgers at the helm and they seem to have the Vikes' number at Lambeau Field. Given the Vikings' schedule, they should win both home games to be at least 12-4. The two road games are winnable, so I'm hopeful for 13-3 or even 14-2. The big thing is staying #1 in the NFC and not having to go to Philly if it comes to that.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Dec 5th, 2017 09:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
Superstar



Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 4056
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: If the Giants didn't draft a QB in the first round, what would they draft for? Right now they'd pick #2 overall after the Browns and ahead of the 49ers due to the Niners getting the head to head win a few weeks ago.

In sunnier news, what about the Vikings? They are 10-2 and have tiebreakers over the Rams, Saints, and Falcons should it come to that and can add another if they beat the Panthers this coming Sunday. Even before Sam Bradford went down, this was unexpected. The schedule looked tough and people figured if they could be 10-6 or 9-7 in the wildcard race, it would be enough. To be the #1 seed in the NFC right now is off the charts.


Look at the Vikings - Sam Bradford, Case Keenum, and Teddy Bridgewater.  The last guy mentioned is the guy they are tying their franchise to, so I would assume Bradford and Keenum will have the ability to find a new job in 2018.  In fact, I think QB is going to be a pretty easy place to pick from in 2018.  Would the Giants be better served getting a guy like Cousins or Keenum (or, gasp, Bradford) and use their #2 overall pick on a franchise LT?  If they got LT squared away, the rest of the line would follow suit.  And while history shows about a 50/50 get with the LT at the top of the round, the ones that actually do live up to their potential all end up in the HOF.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Dec 5th, 2017 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
tamalie
Hall Of Famer
 

Joined: Mon Oct 22nd, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 3503
Status: 
Offline
I think Sam Bradford is gone. Teddy is the future. Case Keenum is interesting. He has been in the NFL for a few seasons with a few teams and has done nothing to suggest a year like this was remotely possible. He'll be 30 by the time the 2018 season begins, but has low mileage due to not being a regular started. If he keeps this up for the rest of the way, the Vikes will feel some pressure to re-sign him, but will then have to answer the question about whether they believe he is for real or is a fluke, especially with Teddy Bridgewater having missed basically two seasons and no one really knowing what he has post injury. My gut says fluke and that if he gets a big contract the comedown will be hard for Keenum and whichever team give it to him.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Dec 5th, 2017 11:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 12342
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: If the Giants didn't draft a QB in the first round, what would they draft for? Right now they'd pick #2 overall after the Browns and ahead of the 49ers due to the I would draft Barkley #2. O-Lineman with second and third picks. I like Davis Webb as their QB. No defense fears the Giants running game. Bryce Love in the second round if the first round pick is used for an O-Lineman.

Last edited on Tue Dec 5th, 2017 11:31 pm by Benlen



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Dec 5th, 2017 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 37554
Status: 
Offline
tamalie wrote: If the Giants didn't draft a QB in the first round, what would they draft for? Right now they'd pick #2 overall after the Browns and ahead of the 49ers due to the Niners getting the head to head win a few weeks ago.

In sunnier news, what about the Vikings? They are 10-2 and have tiebreakers over the Rams, Saints, and Falcons should it come to that and can add another if they beat the Panthers this coming Sunday. Even before Sam Bradford went down, this was unexpected. The schedule looked tough and people figured if they could be 10-6 or 9-7 in the wildcard race, it would be enough. To be the #1 seed in the NFC right now is off the charts.

The remaining slate is At Panthers, Bengals, At Packers, Bears. My big hope is the Packers will be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by week 16 so they'll consider sitting down Aaron Rodgers for the season by the time the Vikes get to Lambeau. The Packers are 6-6 and will be 7-6 most likely after playing the Browns in Cleveland this coming Sunday. The following Sunday sees them go to Carolina. A 7-7 record may have them on the outside looking in by week 15. The Packers are a different team with Rodgers at the helm and they seem to have the Vikes' number at Lambeau Field. Given the Vikings' schedule, they should win both home games to be at least 12-4. The two road games are winnable, so I'm hopeful for 13-3 or even 14-2. The big thing is staying #1 in the NFC and not having to go to Philly if it comes to that.



You forgot to mention 'home field advantage in the Super Bowl' ;)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Dec 6th, 2017 12:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Papa Voo



Joined: Thu Jan 17th, 2008
Location: Right Outside The Burgh, USA
Posts: 8588
Status: 
Offline
Do you all think McAdoo is that bad of a coach? It seems that the team fell apart around him.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Dec 6th, 2017 05:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
Superstar



Joined: Thu Jan 31st, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 4056
Status: 
Offline
Papa Voo wrote: Do you all think McAdoo is that bad of a coach? It seems that the team fell apart around him.Solid Xs and Os Guy, really good offensive minded coach.  But he’s a total douchebag.  The way he handles the players is like he is the CEO of a corporation and not like a coach of a team filled with different personalities from different backgrounds.  He has absolutely zero people skills and his personality is as grating as anyone.  He’s the total opposite of a guy like Herm Edwards, and in a lot of ways is exactly like Tom Coughlin was in his first years down in Jacksonville...difference is, Coughlin learned from his mistakes and McAdoo doesn’t think he made any.



____________________
"Jack Brisco grabbed my testicles once but I told him "Brisco, you have exactly 15 minutes to get your hands off my balls"." -WongLee 7/22/2017
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Dec 6th, 2017 03:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
krazykid18

 

Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 1508
Status: 
Offline
Superstar wrote: Papa Voo wrote: Do you all think McAdoo is that bad of a coach? It seems that the team fell apart around him.Solid Xs and Os Guy, really good offensive minded coach.  But he’s a total douchebag.  The way he handles the players is like he is the CEO of a corporation and not like a coach of a team filled with different personalities from different backgrounds.  He has absolutely zero people skills and his personality is as grating as anyone.  He’s the total opposite of a guy like Herm Edwards, and in a lot of ways is exactly like Tom Coughlin was in his first years down in Jacksonville...difference is, Coughlin learned from his mistakes and McAdoo doesn’t think he made any.
B.S. nobody knows if he is good at anything because his early success was because of Odell and Coughlin input, the moment they threw Coughlin out the door for making stupid mistakes his final season the offense turned to shit and was just pray Odell takes a five yard slants and take it to the house and that the defense gets stops in 2016. And in Green Bay he was never the offensive coordinator he was the QB coach from 2012 to 2013 for Aaron Rodgers and got the job of Offensive Coordinator from the Giants because somehow he made "Aaron Rodgers"(lets ignore the fact he wasn't the QB coach when Godgers won Super Bowl or MVP he was tight ends coach).

And highlighted is all media crap that happens when you are losing he lacks people skills , he is so mean to me bs. he is the same guy he was when they went 11 -5 but when you are 2 and nine he doesn't know how to relate to me. Things are less tolerated when you suck.

So i don't know if he is a good coach or not plus he didn't really want Eli as his quarterback to run his own offense

Last edited on Wed Dec 6th, 2017 03:40 pm by krazykid18

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Dec 6th, 2017 09:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
beejmi
The Big Kahuna


Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 37554
Status: 
Offline
Papa Voo wrote: Do you all think McAdoo is that bad of a coach? It seems that the team fell apart around him.

Really he was never a 'good offensive coordinator' yet got promoted to head coach because they didn't want Eli to have to learn a new system so late in his career. McAdoo was a convenient nice fit or so it looked at the time.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 04:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
nyhack56



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 2182
Status: 
Offline
krazykid18 wrote: Superstar wrote: Papa Voo wrote: Do you all think McAdoo is that bad of a coach? It seems that the team fell apart around him.Solid Xs and Os Guy, really good offensive minded coach.  But he’s a total douchebag.  The way he handles the players is like he is the CEO of a corporation and not like a coach of a team filled with different personalities from different backgrounds.  He has absolutely zero people skills and his personality is as grating as anyone.  He’s the total opposite of a guy like Herm Edwards, and in a lot of ways is exactly like Tom Coughlin was in his first years down in Jacksonville...difference is, Coughlin learned from his mistakes and McAdoo doesn’t think he made any.
B.S. nobody knows if he is good at anything because his early success was because of Odell and Coughlin input, the moment they threw Coughlin out the door for making stupid mistakes his final season the offense turned to shit and was just pray Odell takes a five yard slants and take it to the house and that the defense gets stops in 2016. And in Green Bay he was never the offensive coordinator he was the QB coach from 2012 to 2013 for Aaron Rodgers and got the job of Offensive Coordinator from the Giants because somehow he made "Aaron Rodgers"(lets ignore the fact he wasn't the QB coach when Godgers won Super Bowl or MVP he was tight ends coach).

And highlighted is all media crap that happens when you are losing he lacks people skills , he is so mean to me bs. he is the same guy he was when they went 11 -5 but when you are 2 and nine he doesn't know how to relate to me. Things are less tolerated when you suck.

So i don't know if he is a good coach or not plus he didn't really want Eli as his quarterback to run his own offense

While I might not agree with you on Eli, I for the most part agree with your assessment here.  Winning covers up flaws, losing exposes them.  They played a soft schedule last year.  They got almost every break in close games late.  Hence, McAdoo's demeanor wasn't a big.  He's the same guy this year, but everything gets magnified.
We might not know if he's any good, but my gut feeling says he never had the demeanor to be a head coach.  Too terse and sharp with his canned comments.  How many times after a loss do I have to hear "Well, we have to look at the tape"?  It seems to me that he tries to come over like Belichek, but he doesn't have the resume to pull it off.  There were times where he just seems to stumble for answers, and that's a big part of being in charge, having that mic stuck in front of your face after every win or loss, having to answer to the media.
Outside of that, there are things on the outside that made it look like he never had the respect of his players, either.  The in-season suspensions alone.  To me, those are acts of rebellion.
And I am putting the Eli situation aside making this judgment.  Whether he should have been benched or not, there was no way to handle that in a positive manner.  If anything, the issue I have with it is why isn't Davis Webb the #2 QB?  Is he not developing?  Did the coaching staff do a bad job of developing him?  Or, does this fall on Reese that he whiffed on another 3rd round pick?  I don't know the answer to that.
 



____________________
For every dollar a man makes, a woman makes 70 cents. That's not fair, the man is only left with 30. -- Bo Burnham
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
Ultimark



Joined: Sun Oct 28th, 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5559
Status: 
Offline
Would the Giants take the USC QB with the 2nd pick? I could take Barclay but he may have trouble gaining any real yards behind that Oline. He does back up a lot in hopes of a big gain resulting in a lot of negative plays. A great talent but if you need a QB, that is where they should start.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Dec 7th, 2017 06:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
nyhack56



Joined: Thu Oct 18th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 2182
Status: 
Offline
I think Darnold is the pick if he's there. If not, I like Baker Mayfield more than Rosen.



____________________
For every dollar a man makes, a woman makes 70 cents. That's not fair, the man is only left with 30. -- Bo Burnham
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 03:39 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Eli Benched In Favor Of Geno Smith Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems