WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Rays Trade Longoria To Giants

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rays Trade Longoria To Giants  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Dec 22nd, 2017 02:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
lobo316



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New Capital For Suplex City
Posts: 41550
Status: 
Offline
It's the end of an era in Tampa Bay.
The Rays traded third baseman Evan Longoria to the San Francisco Giants on Wednesday in exchange for outfielder Denard Span, top-prospect infielder Christian Arroyo, left-hander Matt Krook, and right-hander Stephen Woods Jr., the clubs announced.
San Francisco will also receive cash in the deal, according to The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal.
"Evan is our greatest Ray," Tampa Bay owner Stuart Sternberg said in a statement, via Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. "For a decade, he's been at the center of all of our successes, and it's a very emotional parting for us all."
Longoria told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that the Rays were open with him throughout the process and that he appreciates the trade to a team with a chance to win. "I don't blame them," he said. "I feel they feel they are in a position where they need to make some drastic changes."
Longoria added that he didn't want to go through an extended rebuild andexpressed those feelings to Rays officials.
The Giants had been on the hunt for a third baseman this winter after their hot corner struggled last season following the trade of Eduardo Nunez to the Boston Red Sox.


Longoria, a three-time All-Star and Gold Glove winner, should provide the Giants with added offensive punch, but comes at a cost. He's owed $81 million through 2022 and has a 2023 team option valued at $13 million, which includes a $5-million buyout.
The 32-year-old had spent his entire 10-year career with the Rays, fashioning a .270/.341/.483 slash line with 261 home runs and 892 RBIs.
"It's obviously a tough day for myself and my family," Longoria told Topkin.
Span, a 33-year-old veteran, spent the past two seasons in the Bay Area, accumulating a .268/.330/.402 line with 23 home runs, 96 RBIs, and 24 steals. He's owed $11 million next season and has a $12-million team option with a $4-million buyout for 2019.
Arroyo was the Giants' top prospect, and could eventually follow in Longoria's footsteps as a cornerstone third baseman in Tampa. The 2013 first-round draft choice debuted in the bigs last season, hitting .192/.244/.304 in 135 plate appearances.
Krook, 23, was 4-9 with a 5.12 ERA during 25 appearances - 17 starts - at High-A San Jose last season, while the 22-year-old Woods pitched to a 2.95 ERA in Single-A Augusta across 23 starts.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Dec 22nd, 2017 02:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 4922
Status: 
Offline
Get rid of both those Florida teams.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Dec 25th, 2017 05:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 12727
Status: 
Offline
Giant fans are ok with trade. Went to Rays message board and they absolutely hate the trade saying all they got was a washed up centerfielder and 3 lousy minor leaguers.

Last edited on Mon Dec 25th, 2017 05:17 am by Benlen



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Dec 25th, 2017 05:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
LAF



Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4596
Status: 
Offline
Benlen wrote: Giant fans are ok with trade. Went to Rays message board and they absolutely hate the trade saying all they got was a washed up centerfielder and 3 lousy minor leaguers.
The average fan of most teams tends to hate anything like this because "they haven't heard of" Player X or Player Y. Even if the one guy was considered SF's top prospect and probably the guy replacing Longoria.

It's like NFL team fans who want their team to deliberately lose games to draft Baker Mayfield because they saw him on ESPN. They heard of him, so he must be good.

Last edited on Mon Dec 25th, 2017 05:53 am by LAF

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Dec 25th, 2017 07:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 12727
Status: 
Offline
Have to thank the Rays for helping the Giants dump some of their trash. Span will probably be released by the Rays if not traded. The 2 rookie pitchers won't become of anything. The previous trade of Matt Moore was a big relief off the roster. Two years ago they took an injured Matt Duffy and he didn't even play last year. Arroyo might be something but he's just a .270-.280 15 hr guy.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Dec 27th, 2017 07:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Blazer
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 5080
Status: 
Offline
LAF wrote: Benlen wrote: Giant fans are ok with trade. Went to Rays message board and they absolutely hate the trade saying all they got was a washed up centerfielder and 3 lousy minor leaguers.
The average fan of most teams tends to hate anything like this because "they haven't heard of" Player X or Player Y. Even if the one guy was considered SF's top prospect and probably the guy replacing Longoria.

It's like NFL team fans who want their team to deliberately lose games to draft Baker Mayfield because they saw him on ESPN. They heard of him, so he must be good.

I think baseball fans are much more astute, and actually the trend in the past, say, five years is for fans to really follow their minor league systems much more intently.  This is much easier now than even ten years ago with the internet and various baseball packages (even MILB has a package).  You're seeing the game move to a young man's sport as PEDs have been phased out, and there aren't many 40 year old guys hitting 50 hrs a season.  Fans are following the Baseball America or MLB Top 100 prospect list and v coveting these guys.  The MLB draft is now a "thing" and is televised and followed on the network.  The idea of dumping veteran contracts for three prospects isn't a bad thing anymore.  The Astros and Cubs, the last two World Series Champs, went through a total rebuild and won with home grown and young acquired talent, and there are multiple teams trying to emulate that scenario now:  White Sox, Phillies, Detroit.
Most of the smart baseball fans I've talked to and read basically said, "What the fuck is San Fran doing?".  They've got no business trading for Longoria with the team they have, and Longo being on the downside of his career.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Dec 30th, 2017 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 12727
Status: 
Offline
Blazer wrote:
Most of the smart baseball fans I've talked to and read basically said, "What the fuck is San Fran doing?".  They've got no business trading for Longoria with the team they have, and Longo being on the downside of his career.
Giants have always signed or traded for  older players. They won championships with Aubrey Huff, Pat Burrell, Edgar Renteria, Freddie Sanchez, Cody Ross, Marco Scutaro, Michael Morris etc etc. None lasted more than two years .



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Dec 30th, 2017 04:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Blazer
Mr Baseball


Joined: Sun Sep 4th, 2011
Location:  
Posts: 5080
Status: 
Offline
Benlen wrote: Blazer wrote:
Most of the smart baseball fans I've talked to and read basically said, "What the fuck is San Fran doing?".  They've got no business trading for Longoria with the team they have, and Longo being on the downside of his career.
Giants have always signed or traded for  older players. They won championships with Aubrey Huff, Pat Burrell, Edgar Renteria, Freddie Sanchez, Cody Ross, Marco Scutaro, Michael Morris etc etc. None lasted more than two years .

Those guys were all role players though, right?  The 10, 12 and 14 Giants won with Buster Posey, Panda, Brandon Crawford, Pence and that insane pitching.  I know they had some crazy role players in there (Juan Urine, Aaron Rowand, etc), but generally it was a young nucleus.  It just doesn't feel right.



____________________
"Well, maybe I like the nightlife just a little bit more than I like the damn gym, jack! And when you're makin' $500,000 a year, there ain't no reason to change what you're doing." - Dusty Rhodes, 1/4/1986
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Dec 30th, 2017 04:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Benlen



Joined: Sun Oct 21st, 2007
Location: Milpitas, California USA
Posts: 12727
Status: 
Offline
Blazer wrote: Benlen wrote: Blazer wrote:
Most of the smart baseball fans I've talked to and read basically said, "What the fuck is San Fran doing?".  They've got no business trading for Longoria with the team they have, and Longo being on the downside of his career.
Giants have always signed or traded for  older players. They won championships with Aubrey Huff, Pat Burrell, Edgar Renteria, Freddie Sanchez, Cody Ross, Marco Scutaro, Michael Morris etc etc. None lasted more than two years .

Those guys were all role players though, right?  The 10, 12 and 14 Giants won with Buster Posey, Panda, Brandon Crawford, Pence and that insane pitching.  I know they had some crazy role players in there (Juan Urine, Aaron Rowand, etc), but generally it was a young nucleus.  It just doesn't feel right.
Huff, Burrell, Renteria,  Sanchez, Ross, Scutaro. were all starters. Scutaro, Ross and Sanchez hit the shit out of the ball in the postseason.



____________________
Only thing harder than achieving excellence is maintaining it.
Dream Well. It may come true.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 04:58 am  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Rays Trade Longoria To Giants Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems