WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Recently Wrestling Book Recommendations

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Recently Wrestling Book Recommendations  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2018 04:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49546
Status: 
Offline
I want to read "Crazy Like a Fox" (the Brian Pillman book) and the Dr. D autobiography.  Anyone read these and have thoughts?

What else is out there recently?  A very quick Amazon search reveals "Death of the Territories" by Hornbaker, the Justin Roberts book, "Four Horsemen: A Timeline History", Mad Man Pondo's autobiography, Roddy Piper's book written by his daughter, and the translated Shinsuke Nakamura autobiography that he wrote while in Japan. 

The problem is there is a huge quality gap when it comes to wrestling books and it's hard to know what's worth reading.  Let me know what's worth my time. 



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2018 05:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Kriss
Citizen of nowhere


Joined: Wed Dec 12th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6851
Status: 
Online
I enjoy reading most wrestling books for the stories. I go in knowing that they will probably be badly written. I think Hornabaker's books are top quality though. I also think Scott Teal's books are very good, although when writing about the post territory years, the fact that he isn't as I interested in that era shows.

Stuff I have read recently-ish:

Don Fargo - very good
Stan Hansen - interesting, but all over the place chronologically so it's more a collection of tales than an autobiography
Bruiser Brody - Larry Matysik takes wrestling far too seriously, and coordinate murder first made this book impossible to enjoy
JJ Dillon - Outstanding until JJ joined WWF. It's clear he didn't enjoy wrestling when he was in WWF and even less in WCW and it makes for a depressing read. Also JJ was clearly a shitty booker and his list of excuses gets tiring.

You've probably read all these though.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2018 05:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49546
Status: 
Offline
Kriss wrote: I enjoy reading most wrestling books for the stories. I go in knowing that they will probably be badly written. I think Hornabaker's books are top quality though. I also think Scott Teal's books are very good, although when writing about the post territory years, the fact that he isn't as I interested in that era shows.

Stuff I have read recently-ish:

Don Fargo - very good
Stan Hansen - interesting, but all over the place chronologically so it's more a collection of tales than an autobiography
Bruiser Brody - Larry Matysik takes wrestling far too seriously, and coordinate murder first made this book impossible to enjoy
JJ Dillon - Outstanding until JJ joined WWF. It's clear he didn't enjoy wrestling when he was in WWF and even less in WCW and it makes for a depressing read. Also JJ was clearly a shitty booker and his list of excuses gets tiring.

You've probably read all these though.


Yeah, these ones are a little old so I've read them all.  I agree that Hornbaker's books are top-quality in terms of writing, professionalism, and research. Some others seem like they're put together as a high school English project.



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2018 06:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
GregOliver

 

Joined: Fri Aug 22nd, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 236
Status: 
Offline
Of the bunch, the Pillman one by far got the best review at SLAM! wrestling:
http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/2018/02/27/22773560.html

I read a preview copy of Hornbaker's book and it's like his earlier wrestling history books -- incredible in scope and detail, and a valuable resource, but I found it a little dry on the storytelling.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2018 07:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
TerryWWWF



Joined: Mon Nov 26th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 4322
Status: 
Offline
Scott Teal books are generally going to be good.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Aug 18th, 2018 12:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
squishy

 

Joined: Tue Jul 12th, 2016
Location:  
Posts: 206
Status: 
Offline
Dusty Wolfe book looks good and he better had included an exhausting insight on how he allowed Omar Atlas get that single TV win.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Aug 18th, 2018 01:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
pjstef



Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2186
Status: 
Offline
squishy wrote: Dusty Wolfe book looks good and he better had included an exhausting insight on how he allowed Omar Atlas get that single TV win.
It IS good but I do not recall Omar Atlas.....

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 07:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
srossi

 

Joined: Sun Oct 14th, 2007
Location: New York USA
Posts: 49546
Status: 
Offline
GregOliver wrote: Of the bunch, the Pillman one by far got the best review at SLAM! wrestling:
http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/2018/02/27/22773560.html


I'm almost done with the Pillman book and it is really, really good.  I just wish the writing was a tad bit better.  It's like 95% of the way to being written professionally, but sometimes he'll use phrases or I'll see multiple typos that kills it for me.  It's really close to being a well-written book though.  And the research is without question great.  I didn't think I could learn anything new about his Loose Cannon period, but I did.  Some of the stuff that came close to happening that didn't, like his run-in during a Shawn Michaels match at MSG where he wanted to get arrested, would've been amazing. And I had no idea how close Pillman and Meltzer were, not to mention Pillman and Raven.

Last edited on Fri Sep 21st, 2018 07:52 pm by srossi



____________________
This thread was great before AA ruined it.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2018 07:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
martini
Sunny's White Knight


Joined: Fri Aug 13th, 2010
Location:  
Posts: 3888
Status: 
Offline
I'm actually enjoying the Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake book. I've also got the Nitro book as well as about four others that I need to start on (Jim Ross, Justin Roberts, Pete Gas and Jim Cornette's history of Louisville wrestling).

Last edited on Fri Sep 21st, 2018 07:58 pm by martini



____________________
Shaken, but not stirred.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Current time is 11:50 am  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Pro Wrestling > Recently Wrestling Book Recommendations Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems