WowBB Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Henrik Zetterberg to retire

 Moderated by: Ron, brodiescomics, beejmi
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Henrik Zetterberg to retire  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 05:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
chrob61



Joined: Thu Nov 18th, 2010
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 1928
Status: 
Offline
One of my favorite Wings retiring due to ongoing back problems.
Great team leader and captain, he filled the void left by Yzerman, Datsyuk…he was a big piece of the 2008 Stanley Cup Wings team.
HOF possible?? Maybe, maybe not, but definitely will have his jersey hanging up from the rafters at Little Caesar's Arena.   Either way, I see it as a defining time NOW the rebuild will start!!!
https://sports.yahoo.com/back-injury-ends-henrik-zetterbergs-career-143842808.html
 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 09:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20471
Status: 
Offline
No chance at the HOF.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 10:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Angelic Assassin



Joined: Mon Dec 27th, 2010
Location: Driving Through Philly, Home Of Losers., Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 5368
Status: 
Offline

Hell of a career for a 7th rounder.  He will maybe get close to the votes he needs, then he'll fade from view and then out of the blue one year if the choices arent good he maybe sneaks in.



____________________
This thread was great till Rossi posted that AA ruined it.

Rossi=The Mouth That Bored
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2018 11:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9657
Status: 
Online
He was my favorite player Post-Yzerman.


I would vote yes for the HOF, but I'm a homer. If you watched him play night in and night out the answer is yes, but if you didn't it's a little harder to make the case for him.


Things that will hurt his cause or at least are hard to consider:

His was always one of the top defensive forwards, but there are really no stats for that.
He was a great penalty killer, but there are no stats for that.
He was a 3rd liner most of his career, but not because of his talent but because the Red Wings had Fedorov, Kozlov, & Liaronov, & Yzerman, Shanahan, & Robitaille in from of him, and the Wings pretty much used them in units. That's not accounting for Bret Hull either. He rarely played on the power play early in his career due to all that fire power.


He's in the top 100 all-time for points and was great defensively, so I'd vote him in.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 03:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Principal_Raditch



Joined: Mon Feb 18th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 6521
Status: 
Offline
If you put him in, then you probably have to put the Sedin's in. That can't happen.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 11:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
chrob61



Joined: Thu Nov 18th, 2010
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 1928
Status: 
Offline
Yeah, I'd have to say Zetterberg is one of those "tweeners" could go either way.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 04:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20471
Status: 
Offline
The Ultimate Sin wrote: He was my favorite player Post-Yzerman.


I would vote yes for the HOF, but I'm a homer. If you watched him play night in and night out the answer is yes, but if you didn't it's a little harder to make the case for him.


Things that will hurt his cause or at least are hard to consider:

His was always one of the top defensive forwards, but there are really no stats for that.
He was a great penalty killer, but there are no stats for that
.
He was a 3rd liner most of his career, but not because of his talent but because the Red Wings had Fedorov, Kozlov, & Liaronov, & Yzerman, Shanahan, & Robitaille in from of him, and the Wings pretty much used them in units. That's not accounting for Bret Hull either. He rarely played on the power play early in his career due to all that fire power.


He's in the top 100 all-time for points and was great defensively, so I'd vote him in.

There are advanced stats. Also, the Selke, in which he finished no higher then 3rd in any season. The lack of post season awards voting hurts him badly.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2018 04:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
freebirdsforever2001
Fantasia is running wild!


Joined: Tue Jul 8th, 2008
Location: Pittsgrove, New Jersey USA
Posts: 20471
Status: 
Offline
Principal_Raditch wrote: If you put him in, then you probably have to put the Sedin's in. That can't happen.
Henrik Sedin deserves a spot over Zetterberg. Lead the league in assists 3 years in a row and has an Art Ross an that all important Hart Trophy. Daniel has an Art Ross and a Pearson.



____________________

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 07:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
The Ultimate Sin
Hall Of Famer


Joined: Mon Oct 15th, 2007
Location: Parts Unknown, Sri Lanka
Posts: 9657
Status: 
Online
freebirdsforever2001 wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: He was my favorite player Post-Yzerman.


I would vote yes for the HOF, but I'm a homer. If you watched him play night in and night out the answer is yes, but if you didn't it's a little harder to make the case for him.


Things that will hurt his cause or at least are hard to consider:

His was always one of the top defensive forwards, but there are really no stats for that.
He was a great penalty killer, but there are no stats for that
.
He was a 3rd liner most of his career, but not because of his talent but because the Red Wings had Fedorov, Kozlov, & Liaronov, & Yzerman, Shanahan, & Robitaille in from of him, and the Wings pretty much used them in units. That's not accounting for Bret Hull either. He rarely played on the power play early in his career due to all that fire power.


He's in the top 100 all-time for points and was great defensively, so I'd vote him in.

There are advanced stats. Also, the Selke, in which he finished no higher then 3rd in any season. The lack of post season awards voting hurts him badly.

The Selke which his linemate Pavel Datsyuk won three times.  I agree with the lack of post season awards.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is he was a HOF talent, but the circumstances of his career never put him in the spotlight.  You can't put him in the HOF based on what could have been.  I think if he played on a different team where he was on the top line and played power minutes he would be a shoe-in.  I doubt he regrets playing with those teams though.



____________________
May I offer you some salt and vinegar chips?
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2018 07:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
chrob61



Joined: Thu Nov 18th, 2010
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 1928
Status: 
Offline
The Ultimate Sin wrote: freebirdsforever2001 wrote: The Ultimate Sin wrote: He was my favorite player Post-Yzerman.


I would vote yes for the HOF, but I'm a homer. If you watched him play night in and night out the answer is yes, but if you didn't it's a little harder to make the case for him.


Things that will hurt his cause or at least are hard to consider:

His was always one of the top defensive forwards, but there are really no stats for that.
He was a great penalty killer, but there are no stats for that
.
He was a 3rd liner most of his career, but not because of his talent but because the Red Wings had Fedorov, Kozlov, & Liaronov, & Yzerman, Shanahan, & Robitaille in from of him, and the Wings pretty much used them in units. That's not accounting for Bret Hull either. He rarely played on the power play early in his career due to all that fire power.


He's in the top 100 all-time for points and was great defensively, so I'd vote him in.

There are advanced stats. Also, the Selke, in which he finished no higher then 3rd in any season. The lack of post season awards voting hurts him badly.

The Selke which his linemate Pavel Datsyuk won three times.  I agree with the lack of post season awards.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is he was a HOF talent, but the circumstances of his career never put him in the spotlight.  You can't put him in the HOF based on what could have been.  I think if he played on a different team where he was on the top line and played power minutes he would be a shoe-in.  I doubt he regrets playing with those teams though.

I agree with Ultimate-
using a Detroit Tigers analogy, my guess is that Zetterberg is like the Red Wings version of Alan Trammell of the Tigers, who just recently got HOF-recognized.   Or...maybe Zetterberg is the "Whitaker" to Datsyuk's "Trammell"???

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 02:42 am  
WowBB Forums > Sports And Wrestling > Sports Talk > Henrik Zetterberg to retire Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems